Morton Salt "upper management" Reviews | Glassdoor

Morton Salt Employee Reviews about "upper management"

Updated Jul 14, 2019

2.2
Morton Salt CEO Christian Herrmann
Christian Herrmann
Pros
  • "Great co-workers and managers, good pay, and a great working environment(in 11 reviews)

• "Headquarters is centrally located in a new building(in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • "Ive seen upper management react in such an unprofessional way on many occasions(in 14 reviews)

• "Management and German parent company(in 9 reviews)

Reviews about "upper management"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Very Srong Future"

I have been working at Morton Salt full-time

Pros

Leadership team is transparent and have great attitudes. Barriers between upper management and front lines are becoming nonexistent.

Cons

Need to continue to improve communication among all levels and keep listening to employees.

Morton Salt2015-04-17

"New Upper Management: No Innovative Changes"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Morton Salt full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great name to put on your resume. If you’re not a manager: you will have plenty of job duties and an expanded skillset to add as bullet points to help you get a better job elsewhere.

Cons

Favoritism runs rampant here. Shift from a hierarchical org. to a matrix structure and yet there’s an unspoken chain of command firmly in place. Completely inaccessible and clueless CEO. VP’s that spend endless time rehearsing speeches about innovation, promoting change, building the brand, and customer centricity, and providing transparency. Lots of new buzz words and very few deliverables or ROI to back it... up. Lots of talking about wanting feedback....and yet any employees that dare to step out of line and speak to anyone but the manager they report to will be harshly reprimanded. Most of the upper management here spends a majority of their time and efforts making sure to get face time with parent company and “sell” how important and vital they are to the company’s success.

Advice to Management

Stop the endless self promoting elevator pitches. Listen to the people doing the work, give them the authority and resources needed to be successful. The tighter you hold onto something in your hand the more that slips through it.

Morton Salt2019-07-15

"Cherry picking"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Port Canaveral, FL

I have been working at Morton Salt full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

They upper management says great pay, no other company, pays that way, but yet. Heaven forbid you would have to work in that environment.

Cons

Upper management and HR will cherry pick who gets to talk to there bosses when it comes down to them being called out

Advice to Management

Listen to the real workers, not the office

Morton Salt2019-07-05

"Toxic Environment"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Morton Salt full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

It’s centrally located downtown by the River walk.

Cons

Horrible place to work. Toxic environment where people will smile in your face and stab in your chest and back while you are talking to them. Management uses favoritism as a work style. Hard workers are rewarded with an excessive amounts of work while others can work from home whenever they choose. If you are not apart of the favoritism group than expect people to treated you like a criminal with condescending... attitudes. Meetings are dispirited. The culture is very toxic. You can discuss grievances with Human Resources but no changes will improve the vile people’s behaviors. Human Resources and upper management is the problem the environment is so hostile. If you want to work at place where you are overworked, under appreciated, character defamed and belittled than this is the right place for you.

Advice to Management

Treat all employees with respect and not like replaceable objects.

Morton Salt2019-02-01

"One of the worst places I’ve worked in my career."

I worked at Morton Salt full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good location in the loop. If you like being micromanaged by inexperienced managers and belittled this is the place for you.

Cons

Too many to list. All levels of management have their favorites. Ive seen upper management react in such an unprofessional way on many occasions. No appreciation for those who work hard and have experience. Its all about what looks good for management. This place is a complete joke. Employees are treated unfairly. Don’t bother going to HR they do nothing.

Advice to Management

Listen and appreciate your employees and get rid of managers who should have lawsuits for demeaning employees.

Morton Salt2019-01-23

"Cost Accounting"

Current Employee - Supply Chain Supervisor Finance in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Morton Salt full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great people to work with and great place to get experience.

Cons

Upper management/Director is very disconnected from reality. They live in their own world and hold back their employees from progressing in their careers. They make decisions without consulting their teams.

Advice to Management

Acknowledge the existence of your teams. Obtain people skills and implement them.

Morton Salt2018-09-22

"Industrial Sales"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Morton Salt full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Many good people. Great brand.

Cons

Extremely top heavy in upper management positions. All but managers struggle to keep afloat, most managers are focused on their own agendas and hide their inexperience. The upper management does not understand the grass roots of the business and ineffective in everything they do. I would not join this company if you are looking for a good job, think of it as training for a better one and quickly take your... experience elsewhere. Highly computerize jobs, be ready to sit and type a lot. Also recognize you will work extremely hard due to the inefficiency of their processes and service levels.

Advice to Management

Get your management team in the field and have them understand the challenge customers face with Morton sales and service. Profitability should not be the main focus when the company is making strides to refresh, it should be service. Good practices will result in customers who will pay more.

Morton Salt2018-08-04

"Analyst"

I have been working at Morton Salt full-time

Pros

Very collaborative, upper management is very accessible, variety of products offered under a single Brand

Cons

Challenging to get new philosophy and strategy going

Morton Salt2018-01-10

"Piranhas"

Current Employee - Anonymous in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Morton Salt full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The new building is nice and it is located downtown.

Cons

There are only a few sincere people at the company. Most of the people are like piranhas. Don't get too close or they will attack. Many of the people including management appears nice on the surface but it is a mirage. Upper management is always harping about silos being broken and everyone will be treated equal. It is simply broken promises of rhetoric.

Advice to Management

Please treat everyone equally and eradicate favoritism. It is destroying the company. Management please stop belittling employees to make yourself feel more superior. Everyone puts one pant leg on at a time.

Morton Salt2017-02-16

"Management"

Former Employee - Foreman/Supervisor in Hutchinson, KS

I worked at Morton Salt full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Unfortunately not a lot. It could be a good place to work but need change in their upper management .

Cons

As a salary job , I worked 550 to 650 hours OT yearly and the one time I had to take leave I was not paid for any of the time off but all other management on salary was paid when they were out. I have talked to a newer supervisor (about a year) and she has been out and she is being paid. I decided not to return to my job after the leave and they retro'd my termination date back to when I took leave so that also put... me as not having any insurance dating back to my leave time. I know of four of my management co-workers that were out on leave and they all were paid. So there is a lot of favoritism among upper management and middle management. We had one supervisor sleeping in his car at night and upper management knew this but did nothing about it. If you are on salary and a holiday falls on your off day , you just missed out on a day off or any pay for that holiday even though they tell you when hired you have this many holidays. A supervisor really has no one to talk to due to the upper management being "friends" and "hanging out with each other off site" so no conversation could be confidential with anyone. We lost a lot of supervisors due to these issues but upper management seem to be glad they left. Sadly enough upper management had prior work history together and were "friends" off site too. Very demanding with nothing in return .

Advice to Management

Take the surveys that we all do and use it as a tool to improve the company. Standardize salary rules for leaves, time off, vacations, job performance, teamwork, etc. Upper management need to treat their supervisors/ frontline leaders the way they expect the supervisors/frontline leaders to treat the employees. Have Passion for the company .

Morton Salt2016-10-31