Moss Adams LLP Reviews | Glassdoor

Moss Adams LLP Reviews

Updated September 18, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Work/life balance flexibility to manage work life and home life (in 32 reviews)

• If you invest in them with your time (over the internship) and your engagement, then you will learn a lot about the industry (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance can suffer when busy times hit (in 22 reviews)

• Long hours during busy season but is expected, too many internal QC review and admin stuff which is time consuming (in 31 reviews)

"Cons outweigh the pros"

I have been working at Moss Adams LLP full-time

Pros

- Great starting PTO (4 weeks)
    - Mostly good pay
    - Some offices have free snacks and drinks

Cons

- Absolutely poor leadership and poor upper management caring too much about profits rather than people
    - Weak communication from management staff
    - Little work life balance and staff tend to be overworked
    - Understaffed in certain departments

Advice to Management

If you take care of your employees, everything will take care of itself. With the amount of money Moss Adams makes, you should at least be able to afford to hire more full-time employees, so the rest of us won't be overworked.

Stop being so stingy about your budget; I guarantee that if you actually invest in your people, Moss Adams will definitely gain more money in the long run.

"Toxic work environment."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Moss Adams LLP full-time (More than a year)

Pros

When I needed a job they hired me. Okay benefits.

Cons

I worked hard but was not reward for it. After two years of doing the work of three people I had to leave. Very few good memories!

Advice to Management

Stop churning and burning people!!!

3. "Growing Firm for Ambitious Accountants"

Current Employee - Assurance Senior in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Assurance Senior in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Moss Adams LLP full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Management is responsive, motivated, and hard-working. My peers are ambitious and focused on the success of the team.

Cons

Busy season hours keep you working beyond 9-5.

Advice to Management

Invest in the team members that are doing well, consider re-reading "Good to Great".

4. "Seasonal Employee"

Former Employee - Seasonal Compiler in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Seasonal Compiler in Seattle, WA

Pros

The people around you want to see you succeed. They treat their employees well.

Cons

Parking is difficult but it's right on the bus line and near the light rail.

5. "Senior Tax Manager"

I have been working at Moss Adams LLP (More than 10 years)

Pros

Open door policy, good communications from top management, compensation and benefit package is competitive

"Administrative"

Former Employee - Administrative in Campbell, CA
    Former Employee - Administrative in Campbell, CA

I worked at Moss Adams LLP (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pay was good and they had snacks

Cons

( I worked in the Campbell office) Management from Seattle would back-stab you lie to your face and push work to you that was damn near impossible. Very depressing watching the life being sucked out out all the very good people that I worked with. No one smiles, no one interacts, zombies is a work to describe the office environment after the MossAdams take-over. It was truly a great place to work before MossAdams ruined it. Everyone there is simply going through the motions just to keep the paycheck. Not a great place to work... AVOID!

Advice to Management

MossAdams does not know company culture, stop trying to dictate it from Seattle.

"Each office is different, but Campbell is a toxic place"

Former Employee - Tax Staff in Campbell, CA
    Former Employee - Tax Staff in Campbell, CA

I worked at Moss Adams LLP full-time (More than a year)

Pros

For new staff, you'll get tons of experience with every type of return. You'll get really great training too. Trips for annual training are always fun, and the lower level staff are really social.

Cons

The management is a disaster. As is HR. They do not care about the happiness and well being of staff at all, and make it very clear. In the 18 months I was there, I saw about 25% of the staff quit or be fired, and a good chunk of management as well.

They work staff way beyond the normal hours of a CPA firm. 65 minimum billables, but in order to be considered for promotion it's recommended (read mandatory) that you exceed that. That isn't including the weekly meetings, and time experienced staff are expected to spend helping inexperienced staff. It's pretty standard for staff to be in the office 7 days a week, 12+ hours on weekdays and at least until 4 or 5pm on weekends.

After spending 75+ hours a week in the office for two months, I was asked to do additional overtime after the filing deadline because a partner wanted to review an extended return before their vacation.

The staff are chummy, but they are constantly talking about how much they hate it. No one ever smiles in that office. I've never worked around a more depressed group of people.

HR doesn't take anything seriously. A staff had several formal complaints against him for being inappropriate. Nothing was done. It was suggested that the people he was harassing move cubes if they were that bothered.

Advice to Management

Treat your staff like humans.

8. "A Company Who Cares!"

I have been working at Moss Adams LLP full-time

Pros

Moss Adams convinced me I wanted to work for them during my interview for the job. Everyone in the office was super friendly and the receptionist knew me by name the minute I walked in the door. Moss Adams has a high focus in customer service and employee career growth opportunities. Their professionals are kind and hard-working. There is a high emphasis on collaboration, teamwork and a "we're all in this together" attitude.

Cons

So far I'm still searching for it's cons!

9. "CSS/non-CPA position"

I have been working at Moss Adams LLP full-time

Pros

Overall Moss Adams is a good employer that tries to do right by its employees. There are frustrations and long hours during busy season, but you will get that at any accounting firm. They make an effort as a firm to listen and treat people with respect. Most management folks value the work their administrative staff does and the value they add.

Cons

Certain aspects of the work are not run as efficiently/effectively as they could be. Some long-time employees are allowed to be difficult and make things harder for others simply because of their seniority. Decisions about day-to-day work are influenced too much by the central office, which often slows things down or makes them inefficient. Open plan workspace & hoteling for seat assignments is silly and wastes time.

Advice to Management

Don't abandon the unique culture of each office for the sake of making everything interchangeable. That was once the beauty of Moss and you're losing sight of it.

"Good company where I feel supported"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Moss Adams LLP full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I'm not a CPA and I didn't know much public accounting before coming here and I’ve been pleasantly surprised since joining the firm. It’s a mid-size company that has resources available to help you to do your job but yet it’s still small enough where you can have a voice and can impact change. The updated office space is great. You can wear jeans every day, not what I would have expected from a public accounting firm. Generous PTO, all support staff and corporate office employees begin with a minimum of 20 PTO days, plus holidays. And as a working parent the flexibility makes it a great place.

Cons

There are times when you work hard but there are also times that are lighter. It all balances out.