Motif Investing Reviews | Glassdoor

3.4
Hardeep Walia

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Manager"

Pros

Good place to work at

Cons

Too many things at one time

2. "Awesome"

I have been working at Motif Investing full-time

Pros

Great people, great product, and awesome location. Given the size of the company, everyone works on a lot of different things. Outlook of the company is strong!

Cons

Every company has ups and downs, Motif is no exception. The company has a lot of different offerings to maintain and grow, but it keeps work interesting.

3. "Customer Relations Specialist"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

I worked at Motif Investing full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Amazing Infrastructure and work environment. Training team is really fast-paced. Everyone are really helpful, from management to the security professional in the company.

Cons

Growth can be a little slow, monotonous work and salary growth can be a little issue

Advice to Management

No Advice!

4. "Manager"

I have been working at Motif Investing full-time

Pros

- As a relatively small and nimble company, there is a lot of opportunity to gain experience in different roles and projects, if desired.
    - Management is always open to new ideas coming from employees, especially those that help drive growth or business
    - The team itself is seasoned and mature, with many having years of Wall St. & Silicon Valley experience that they'd like shake up
    - There is no set career path at Motif, you really need to take ownership of your own progress. However, the experience gained at Motif is valuable to leverage for the next role you might be looking at
    - People who succeed at this company are those who are self-starters, take initiative, and are curious to learn new things (not just the task that is being asked)

Cons

- Given that it's a small team, people may be asked to take on a number of different roles as business and product lines evolve
    - Motif's culture is to build an MVP, test it, make strategic improvements, and learn quickly what works & doesn't work
    - Not necessarily a negative, but this is very much a founder-led company

Advice to Management

I think employees, especially those that are new, need to get more integrated into the Motif story, so that the initial feeling (when the company was first founded) of everyone trying to build a great company together is shared more widely.

"Say Away"

Pros

Co-workers are great people. Hard working

Cons

Top management lies!!!! Condescending to anyone not in the c-suite

Advice to Management

Get new people a the top

6. "Not Bad Overall"

I worked at Motif Investing full-time

Pros

Great people, fun atmosphere, great benefits

Cons

Directionless at times, salaries were weak, bonuses ok

Advice to Management

Pick a direction, stick to it. Pay your people so not everyone is looking elsewhere

"Great experience. Great company. Awesome product."

I worked at Motif Investing full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some very talented people building a product I was proud to be a part of. An inspiring CEO with a dedicated leadership team. Fast paced with opportunity to work on many high-profile, impactful projects. A mid-sized startup but small enough to give a sense of ownership. Relaxed office environment and a friendly/open team. Located in downtown San Mateo, close to many good restaurant options.

Cons

Business is tied to the stock market, which can be unpredictable. Previous office had seen better days, but I hear the new space is a huge upgrade.

Advice to Management

Inherent with any business, strategy and direction change frequently. Unfortunately, this can take a toll on team morale if the people impacted are not aware of the constant challenges of running a business - it's all too easy to complain from the sidelines. My advice is to share more of the reasoning that goes on behind the decisions with those directly impacted by the change.

"Leadership lacks direction"

Former Employee - Software Engineer
    Former Employee - Software Engineer

I worked at Motif Investing full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Developed friendships that will last a lifetime. Fast-paced culture. Ownership of work and accountability.

Cons

Leadership lacks strategic focus. No sense of finality or direction. CEO is a snake oil salesman.

Advice to Management

Replace the CEO, focus on product that add value and not just sound great on paper. If you promise something you should deliver.

"A profile in hubris"

I worked at Motif Investing full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Salary was decent. Made a few solid colleagues. San Mateo is quaint.

Cons

Culture of rampant arrogance and petty competition for status in a hierarchy that fails to produce any value for the customer or shareholder. If anything, a learning experience in how not to run a company and first hand experience with personalities and industries you are better off avoiding.

"Best Place I've Worked"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Mateo, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Mateo, CA

I worked at Motif Investing (More than 3 years)

Pros

Most of the people who work at Motif really like Motif. (They can't really express that here, however, because FINRA regulations prevent all sorts of online interaction, which is a real bummer. The average rating should probably be quite a bit higher.)

My favorite aspect of Motif is the smart people. I got to work closely with the CTO and his team of chill, competent, senior-level platform engineers using a respectable agile process. For a financial company (which is often not free to take engineering risks), Motif has shown a desire and ability to grow and change in a healthy way, like when we changed clearing firms, or transitioned from Subversion to Git, or refocused onto a subscription-based business model, all without major problems. Pretty impressive.

If you are more of an engineer and not very financially inclined, you may benefit (as I did) from working in such close proximity to the top-shelf investing folks at Motif Capital. Go to lunch at one of the many lovely restaurants in downtown San Mateo and pick their brains. It might make all the difference in your retirement, just sayin.

(As for things you should probably not care about: the foosball culture is the real deal, and I am seriously going to miss that espresso machine.)

Cons

The challenges Motif employees face are mostly symptoms of the FinTech industry as a whole, not Motif specifically. Motif's product is more complex than the competition (but undeniably better, once you figure it out), and bridging the communication gap is difficult, especially with FINRA compliance. This affects nearly every aspect of the work experience.

Motif is not without its faults. As a US Citizen, I was not affected by the visa process, so I'm not letting it affect my 5-star rating. However, I do know it to be a serious area of concern. If you interview with Motif, you may want to ask what steps they have taken since 2016 to improve their visa process.

There's not a lot of room for junior engineers. The complexity of the system and the seriousness of the job at hand requires engineers who can get the job done without a lot of hand-holding or idealism. Still, if you are a senior engineer who wants to be around competent people, this would not be a problem for you.

(As for things you should probably not care about: if you rely on the snacks in the kitchen, there is a good chance you will end up eating too many chocolate-covered almonds and ruining your diet.)

Advice to Management

I think the levels of technical debt are livable for now, but resist the urge to develop a bunch of new features before rewriting some of the old code. Nothing in the codebase should be so difficult to understand that a junior engineer couldn't learn it and own it within two weeks.