Motif Investing Software Engineer Reviews | Glassdoor

Hardeep Walia

"Best Place I've Worked"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Mateo, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Mateo, CA

I worked at Motif Investing (More than 3 years)

Pros

Most of the people who work at Motif really like Motif. (They can't really express that here, however, because FINRA regulations prevent all sorts of online interaction, which is a real bummer. The average rating should probably be quite a bit higher.)

My favorite aspect of Motif is the smart people. I got to work closely with the CTO and his team of chill, competent, senior-level platform engineers using a respectable agile process. For a financial company (which is often not free to take engineering risks), Motif has shown a desire and ability to grow and change in a healthy way, like when we changed clearing firms, or transitioned from Subversion to Git, or refocused onto a subscription-based business model, all without major problems. Pretty impressive.

If you are more of an engineer and not very financially inclined, you may benefit (as I did) from working in such close proximity to the top-shelf investing folks at Motif Capital. Go to lunch at one of the many lovely restaurants in downtown San Mateo and pick their brains. It might make all the difference in your retirement, just sayin.

(As for things you should probably not care about: the foosball culture is the real deal, and I am seriously going to miss that espresso machine.)

Cons

The challenges Motif employees face are mostly symptoms of the FinTech industry as a whole, not Motif specifically. Motif's product is more complex than the competition (but undeniably better, once you figure it out), and bridging the communication gap is difficult, especially with FINRA compliance. This affects nearly every aspect of the work experience.

Motif is not without its faults. As a US Citizen, I was not affected by the visa process, so I'm not letting it affect my 5-star rating. However, I do know it to be a serious area of concern. If you interview with Motif, you may want to ask what steps they have taken since 2016 to improve their visa process.

There's not a lot of room for junior engineers. The complexity of the system and the seriousness of the job at hand requires engineers who can get the job done without a lot of hand-holding or idealism. Still, if you are a senior engineer who wants to be around competent people, this would not be a problem for you.

(As for things you should probably not care about: if you rely on the snacks in the kitchen, there is a good chance you will end up eating too many chocolate-covered almonds and ruining your diet.)

Advice to Management

I think the levels of technical debt are livable for now, but resist the urge to develop a bunch of new features before rewriting some of the old code. Nothing in the codebase should be so difficult to understand that a junior engineer couldn't learn it and own it within two weeks.

"Stay Away"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Mateo, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Mateo, CA

I worked at Motif Investing full-time

Pros

great idea. lots of passionate employees. lots of great lunch options in san mateo

Cons

Constant changes in leadership. Very cheap company won't even provide parking. Lied about bonus. very high turnover. zero loyalty to employees. no career development. CEO only seems to care about getting himself on TV.

Advice to Management

Honesty really is the best policy. People can see through the constantly changing stories. It's time to figure what value you are providing for your customers instead of what value you can take from them.

"Software Engineer"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Motif Investing full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

1. Impactful product with a development plan designed to support strong growth

2. High entry-barrier industry

3. Work hard and play hard culture, lots of fun!

4. Coworkers are driven to success but remain very friendly, helpful, and accommodating – a
    true team environment

5. Open-door policy, good transparency

6. Gain knowledge of investing industry

7. Opportunity to see your successful projects put into action in a way that benefits company's growing customer base.

8.Company events are fun, foosball tournament , planned team parties, fitbit and other fitness competitions

9. Convenient location, main office is downtown San Mateo, walkable to lots of great restaurants and Caltrain. (Second office located in Sacramento area).

10. Perks: available snacks and drinks, free fibit, access to Motif’s investing platform

Cons

1. no obvious cons, may be no free lunches? Expectations are high. Staff enjoys eating out together.

2. Sometimes too much laughter in open-space office may distract my mind from coding

"Leadership lacks direction"

Former Employee - Software Engineer
    Former Employee - Software Engineer

I worked at Motif Investing full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Developed friendships that will last a lifetime. Fast-paced culture. Ownership of work and accountability.

Cons

Leadership lacks strategic focus. No sense of finality or direction. CEO is a snake oil salesman.

Advice to Management

Replace the CEO, focus on product that add value and not just sound great on paper. If you promise something you should deliver.