Motion Picture Industry Pension & Health Plans Reviews | Glassdoor

Motion Picture Industry Pension & Health Plans Reviews

Updated March 24, 2017

Full-timePart-time

3.8
Motion Picture Industry Pension & Health Plans Chief Executive Officer David Asplund
David Asplund

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. Featured Review

"Positive change, on the right track!"

Former Employee - Project Manager in North Hollywood, CA
    Former Employee - Project Manager in North Hollywood, CA

I worked at Motion Picture Industry Pension & Health Plans full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

My time with MPI was wonderful. The people, the projects, and the sense of community were all a huge plus when coming aboard. The company has gone through a lot of change and I truly feel that positive change, and the people committed to making it, has put MPI on the right track. The care, detail, and attention given from the CEO, CHRO, and CIO to both the process and the people really exemplified to me their commitment to making it work. The directors and managers always made themselves available and engaged with employees, concerns, and the MPI community. The current team is a winning combination.

Cons

The only possible cons would be the growing pains that come with change. Adoption of new policies and procedures takes time, more so in the case of employees who have been there for many years and are comfortable in their routines. Also, depending on when you start you have to earn a certain number of hours in the qualifying period to become eligible for health benefits. It may take a little longer than what most employees are used to, but when you receive them you'll have an excellent package.

Advice to Management

Please keep the employing training sessions active for MPI staff to participate in together. It really builds a strong sense of unity and understanding among employees and departments that may not normally interact on a regular basis. The True Colors session was brilliant as well as the MAGIC training which gave great insight to the daily activities and challenges different departments deal with and universally give greater appreciation for everyones contributions to MPI. In addition, please support the IT department and make sure necessary budgets are allocated to the development and initiatives put forward to continue to improve the systems. A healthy infrastructure is the core to successful and efficient business. This critical component affects everyones job and is essential to all work activity. Keep doing what you're doing, it's great positive change!

"Senior Claims Examiner Lead"

Current Employee - Senior Claims Examiner Lead in Studio City, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Claims Examiner Lead in Studio City, CA

I have been working at Motion Picture Industry Pension & Health Plans full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Positive management, strong Union employee benefits & social functions, yearly wage increases, weekly payroll, pension (not 401K)

Cons

High density location, contentious & entitled employee environment, low moral, frequent policy & department changes, lack of formal training, Union politics.

Advice to Management

Firmer direction, find resolution for problem employees.

"Truth Be Told"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Studio City, CA

I have been working at Motion Picture Industry Pension & Health Plans full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Yes, every organization has their ups and downs but overall MPI is a great place to work! Also, great perks, benefits and growth opportunities.

Cons

Unpleasant individuals who only like to complain about where they are and what they're doing instead of taking action and looking for employment elsewhere or working hard to succeed.

Advice to Management

Reading all these negative reviews has gotten tiresome. Let's be honest, if you have such bitter feelings then chances are you've been here for a long time and you don't want the new administration to change things for the better and actual expect us to all work. So much has changed in the last few years and quite frankly it's been remarkable for the entire organization. People sometimes forget why we are here...to serve the participants (not the employees). Decisions are based on the participants and organizations wellbeing, not necessarily on an individual employee level. If you are not willing to adapt to the new changes around you and continue being bitter then maybe you should be out looking for a new job instead of being unprofessional and turning to such sources to vent. A lot of people have welcomed these changes and for that they have grown and continue to succeed. Here's a thought: take a few days and consider what you want and expect from an Employer. If you decide this is where you want to be then great; show up willing to work hard and succeed. If not, then do yourself a favor and look for different employment opportunities.

To management: continue with the great work!

May 5, 2017 – MPI

Thank you for taking the time to write this review and provide feedback. We are committed to continuing our initiatives to build a culture of service and excellence, and to foster a great work... More

"Employee"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Studio City, CA

I have been working at Motion Picture Industry Pension & Health Plans full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

MPI is a great company to work for. In today’s market where employee benefits are dwindling with every breath, it seems, MPI has steadfastly maintained the age-old tradition of putting the employee first, as evidenced by the benefits packages of its retirees. This obvious attraction to being treated fairly and appreciated by the Company you work for, has resulted in MPI growing from a meager number of employees to approximately 300, in the 30 years, I have been with the Company. MPI is truly exemplary in rewarding hard work.

Cons

The MPI claims’ processing team does not routinely provide sufficient employee training/cross-training. This leads to double work sometimes, and is NOT cost-effective, not to mention frustrating.

Advice to Management

Encourage adequate employee trainings and cross-trainings Company wide. This makes for a relaxed and more confident work atmosphere, and happier employees.
    IMPORTANT! Keep the company picnics and Christmas holiday perks going, as these are the most effective MPI advertisements through the word of mouth.

Jan 27, 2017 – MPI

Thank you for taking the time to write a review; we appreciate your feedback! We'll continue our focus on training initiatives and employee development.

5. "Human Resources Manager"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Studio City, CA

Pros

The team here at MPI has really impressed me with their enthusiasm, positive attitude and dedication. I quickly felt 'at home' and was able to make meaningful contributions to the organization. I've found that my feedback and ideas are valued and that I work with leaders who provide me feedback and challenges that are helping me to grow in my chosen field.

Cons

I haven't had any concerns during my time with the organization.

Jan 23, 2017 – MPI

Thanks for taking the time to write a review! Glad you feel "at home" and have been able to contribute. Awesome!

"Just OK, at best"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Studio City, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Studio City, CA

I worked at Motion Picture Industry Pension & Health Plans full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits are great, that is about it

Cons

New Management team same as the old

Advice to Management

Engage and you really need to think the HR and IT Chiefs, gonna be your demise

Jan 23, 2017 – MPI

Thanks for taking the time to write a review. We agree, MPI has great benefits. We're sorry your work experience was "just ok." If any current employees feel this way, please reach out so we can... More

"Editor-Contributions Processing"

Former Employee - Editor -Contributions Processing in Studio City, CA
    Former Employee - Editor -Contributions Processing in Studio City, CA

Pros

There are a lot of good people working here that care about the participants that we help. You know who they are because of the pride they have in knowing they do their best.

Cons

Pay is not based on the amount of work that one does. Equal pay for equal work goes out the window here. I worked for a department with very low moral because 90% of the people there feel they get paid at much lower levels than the other departments, yet the job they do benefits participants greatly. The other 10% that are getting paid well can't wait to retire. I had high hopes when I started working here and I always felt the drag of the poor moral and couldn't wait to move on.

Advice to Management

You have a good mix of New and veteran Employees in Contributions Processing and the Editors work very hard to get the hours in correctly. I don't understand why their class and pay grade is so low. Replacing an Editor that is skilled in their job is not easy as it takes an extraordinary person to train. Most of the training is hands on and new employees are expected to come up to speed very fast. Do you really want to train people to just see them leave to better paying positions?

Jan 23, 2017 – MPI

Thank you for taking to time to write a review. We're pleased to see your positive comments about the employees at MPI and how much they care about serving our participants. MPI values the... More

"Good company that just can't seem to practise what they preach. Management is mixed with old habits still holding true."

Former Employee - Senior Systems Administrator in Studio City, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Systems Administrator in Studio City, CA

Pros

Great Benefits! Opertunities to learn a great deal. Good people to work with. Lots of opertunities to grow and advance.

Cons

Management is a scrambled mess. Lots of CYA at managers level and director level. Blame game is out of control. Doesn't come through on promises. New upper management making same mistakes and just not able to stabilize the environment.

Advice to Management

Take a look at your managers and directors. If they are having consistent employee issues it's usually not the employee. Stop trying to fire people for a mistake and actually teach them. Listen to an employee that takes the risk of going to HR. It's ridiculous to think that anyone wants to go to HR about thier boss, chances are there is a real problem that needs to be addressed at a higher level.

9. "Changing For The Better"

I have been working at Motion Picture Industry Pension & Health Plans full-time

Pros

There is a general culture of positive change that is permeating throughout the organization. Leadership is proactively addressing crucial needs and is both developing talented leaders from within and recruiting experienced leaders from outside the organization.

The infusion of new leaders, both internal and external, is creating a culture of excellence and aligns with the organization mission statement.

Cons

The large recruiting effort taking place to fill vacancies and recruit top talent causes the recruiting, hiring and onboarding process to take longer than anticipated to complete leaving applicants in limbo for extended periods.

Technological limitations are being addressed, but the speed of improvements leaves much to be desired.

Advice to Management

Ramp up our recruiting and hiring efforts to fill open and approved requisitions in a timely manner.

Nov 5, 2016 – MPI

Thank you for your review. We value and consider all feedback, and your input is important to us. We’re pleased that you recognize the focused initiatives that senior leadership and Human... More

10. "Change is good"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Studio City, CA

Pros

Yes, changes are tough, but I see improvement in many areas. I have been here a long time and I see good folks getting promoted to new jobs, more fun activities, more fun training programs. I think it can only get better.
    Those who complain are just losers.

Cons

Every company can improve - but I only see us doing better.

Advice to Management

Keep communicating with us!