Cover image for Motion Picture Industry Pension & Health Plans

Verify your email to use filters. Having problems? Resend email
Found 74 of over 83 reviews
3.2
57% Recommend to a Friend
Motion Picture Industry Pension & Health Plans Chief Executive Officer David Asplund
84% Approve of CEO

Found 74 of over 83 reviews

3.2
David Asplund

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "Benefits are great(in 26 reviews)
  • "The company has gone through a lot of change and I truly feel that positive change, and the people committed to making it, has put MPI on the right track.(in 6 reviews)
  • "Health and retirement benefits(in 3 reviews)
  • "They have a good pension plan and health plan; however, that is slowly diminishing as health care costs are rising.(in 2 reviews)
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

Excellent place to work

Dec 29, 2021 - Eligibility Representative in Los Angeles, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Retirement plan and IPA plan and Health insurance

Cons

No Hybrid schedule or work from home options

1 person found this review helpful

MPI

Thank you for your review. MPI is currently offering flexible work schedules, including a hybrid option, for eligible employees in most departments.

2. 2.0
    Current Employee, more than 8 years

Behind the times

Jan 22, 2023 - Customer Service Representative in Studio City, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Health benefits and retirement benefits are unlike any other companies offer but they come at a big price, see Cons

Cons

Unequal treatment for work from home. Some departments get to work from home Monday through Friday, some only one day a week, some two days a week and others three days a week. Some departments can't work from home on a Friday or Monday but others can. They piloted a work from home program last year even though during LA county lockdown nearly the entire company worked from home. Why did they need a pilot program for something that was done before? There's no written policy explaining who get's what privileges. Chief Human Resources Officer is controlling and inflexible, it's no wonder she's working with a junior and inexperienced team and has lost most if not all her original staff. Pay is behind the times and only the Call Center was boosted in pay but not the employees of other departments who are more skilled and educated. Wasted money on a parking lot next door that isn't even complete and we have plenty of parking since some departments work from home Monday through Friday and there's no more valet service. People are promoted with no job postings or if there is a job posting they create special positions for people and go through the charade of posting it when they already know who they're going to give it to. Senior team is largely male and white. The women that are on the senior team are white. There is only one non-white male. Just go to the MPI website and verify it yourself.

3. Join the Motion Picture Industry Pension & Health Plans team
    See Our Latest Jobs
  4. 3.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great benefits, but a bit behind

Jul 27, 2022 - Administrative Associate
    Business Outlook

Pros

The benefits are great, management is very understanding.

Cons

I feel like the company could do better with keeping up with current events. Compared to other companies the pay isn't great anymore especially due to inflation.

5. 1.0
    Current Employee

Thanks but no Thanks

Jul 31, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

parking, clean newish building, nice breakrooms

Cons

passive aggressive micromanagement style, it feels like a place where the Stepford wives would work, with unfriendly and unprofessional staff (grossly inappropriate conversations) including management.

2 people found this review helpful
  6. 4.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Nice place to work

Apr 2, 2022 - PSC
    Business Outlook

Pros

It offers very good benefits

Cons

Needs to have more employee parking

MPI

Thank you for your feedback. We agree! We are in the process of building a parking lot next door to expand our current parking availability.

7. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

MPI Employer Review

Aug 5, 2020 - Medical Claims Examiner in Studio City, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

During these COVID-19 times, I am very fortunate to continue to be employed by MPI. It's one of the few companies whose employees are unionized. The benefits are great, health insurance premium is VERY reasonable. We have a 2 types of pensions. Wage is very competitive and a raise is bargained yearly. It's not merit based or the $0.10-$0.25. There has been plenty of growth opportunities. Scheduled shift is flexible, we can request a shift change. I've had positive experiences with interdepartmental and intradepartmental communication. As an essential worker it was great to had been offered the opportunity to work from home. Before the shut down there were precautions taken to protect us including limiting visitor, hand sanitizing stations around the building, increased cleaning and disinfecting. It's amazing how rapidly extra measures were taken to protect us, such as the installation of Plexiglas, the fast turnaround to have programs installed on our laptops to be able to work from home and they even provided masks. The return to work was planned in advance with a gradual return to work in waves. MPI paid for Door Dash premium services in order to reduce our cost of having food delivered. There response time for these changing times have been fast, they offered the option for employees who have children who have been affected by the online/remote learning the option to continue working from home.

Cons

Parking may be an issue as there aren't enough spaces, but Valet is provided.

2 people found this review helpful
  8. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 10 years

Accommodating/Professional/Employee-Oriented

Jun 18, 2021 - Employee in Studio City, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

The last year and a half has been especially challenging for employees caring for children with schools online and no childcare. MPI provided necessary tools and support to accomplish work from home while caring for kids. During this age of pandemic true colors were revealed! MPI demonstrated that its values are not just some distant words, but actions! MPI is a professional and highly ethical employer who cares for its employees, considers their needs and empowers them to excel in their job. Nowadays it is a true gem!

Cons

There should be more progressive employers like MPI!

9. 2.0
    Former Employee, more than 5 years

Not worth it

Jan 4, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Benefits are great and some decent co workers

Cons

Everything else is a con

1 person found this review helpful
  10. 5.0
    Current Employee

Great company to work for

Jul 7, 2021 - Project Manager in Studio City, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Professional and personal growth Work-life Balance Company culture Ambitious Challenging Projects Amazing Benefits Employee Training Innovative Software

Cons

Engrained Administrative Processes Existing silos Disparate Teams Challenges due to a strong digital transformation

11. 1.0
    Current Employee, more than 10 years

Inflexible and disappointed in their response and handling of COVID-19

Jul 29, 2021 - Representative in Studio City, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Health and retirement benefits Guaranteed yearly raise for union employees

Cons

It is not true that Motion Picture Industry Pension and Healths Plans was the first to respond to COVID-19 in early 2020. Many other companies allowed employees to work from home due to COVID well before Safer at Home Order was issued. MPI's initial response in early 2020 was not even to allow all employees to work from home. On March 13, 2020, HR sent an email indicating IF they were ordered to close only “identified essential employees” would “be required to work remotely” and those not deemed essential employees could use sick time, personal time, vacation time or floating holidays to not lose our wages or take unpaid time! Does this scream of a flexible or progressive employer? I think not. Some of us considered taking this option in the interest of our health and that of our families. Eventually they came around and allowed many employees to work from home. But then an April 29, 2020 email from HR explained their plan to require employees to return to the office starting May 18, 2020. This proved to be a hasty response as not many months later COVID took a turn for the worse. They then reversed course and allowed us to continue to work from home. But then again in January 2021 started talking about returning to “normal” and requiring employees to return to the office in the coming months. Yes, MPIPHP is considered an “essential employer” since we’re a health plan - however I consider it an insult to true essential employers like hospitals and doctor’s offices as they are truly essential workers and front line employees not administrative employees like us. Especially since MOST MPI employees can, did and would continue to accomplish the work from home if given the opportunity to continue to work from home. But the opportunity to continue to work from home was taken away from us in the second quarter of 2021 (again I ask does that strike you as MPI being flexible? I don’t think so). Only certain employees were allowed to continue to work from home full time and some on a hybrid schedule, but there are no clear, defined and documented rules regarding who can work from home. Now the Delta variant is wreaking havoc across the nation including LA County where MPI is located. And still they refuse to allow us to work from home. In the last two weeks we have received emails from HR informing us that at least six employees have tested positive for COVID. We know there are more positive cases than the six we were informed about. They say they care about us and employees’ health and safety is their top priority but it certainly doesn’t feel that way to many of us. They’re mandating vaccines for all employees but what they fail to realize is that we have family members that don’t meet the age requirement for a vaccine. Again, this goes to show their inflexibility and lack of compassion. I really wonder why they don’t allow us to continue to work from home. Do they get a tax break for having employees in the building? Is it about controlling us? Is it about power over those that don’t have any? Is it to micromanage us? It just doesn’t make sense to have us in the building when for obvious reasons we can’t gather in conference rooms, can’t gather in each other’s workstations, have to wear masks. It’s really a shame, disappointing and demoralizing leadership’s handling of this situation. This is not a progressive employer, not by a long shot. They nickel and dime you quite often.

6 people found this review helpful

Viewing 1 - 10 of 74 Reviews
</>Embed

Motion Picture Industry Pension & Health Plans Reviews FAQs

Motion Picture Industry Pension & Health Plans has an overall rating of 3.2 out of 5, based on over 83 reviews left anonymously by employees. 57% of employees would recommend working at Motion Picture Industry Pension & Health Plans to a friend and 47% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has decreased by -11% over the last 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, Motion Picture Industry Pension & Health Plans employees rate their compensation and benefits as 3.9 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at Motion Picture Industry Pension & Health Plans. This rating has decreased by -9% over the last 12 months.

57% of Motion Picture Industry Pension & Health Plans employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated Motion Picture Industry Pension & Health Plans 3.6 out of 5 for work life balance, 2.8 for culture and values and 2.9 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at Motion Picture Industry Pension & Health Plans to be culture, career development, benefits and the cons to be senior leadership, work life balance, management.

Popular Careers with Motion Picture Industry Pension & Health Plans Job Seekers