Motion Specialties Reviews | Glassdoor

2.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends
David Fraser

1. "Peterborough store"

Current Employee - Service Technician in Peterborough, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Service Technician in Peterborough, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Motion Specialties full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Monday to Friday 8:30 - 5pm, vehicle supplied with fuel card, helping people that need your help, if less than 1200.00 take home for two weeks is what you need then this may be a stepping stone job for you. sales, corporate people and management make all the money, not the front line first responder service techs.

Cons

no compensation or incentive for selling or working after hours or missed lunches and breaks, $17.75 hour that's all you can expect in the Peterborough location if your lucky. On call schedule and working here is something that you don't want to sign up for, unless your under 35 and living at home and you can get ahead on that kind of salary, big turnover at this Peterborough location.

Advice to Management

pay properly for the quality of people you hired, no two techs are the same so pay each according to their skills and abilities not their job title, not all have the same capabilities or desires to do certain jobs, so don't expect all to do the same jobs, work with what you have and contract out or hire for those jobs that your techs are not comfortable doing or feel they are not being compensated enough to do.

"Sales"

Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Pros

freedom to work at own pace so long as the "numbers" are there

Cons

not enough $ for the time put in

"Leadership and foresight lacking"

Pros

People are resilient and great team.
    Being to help people in this business is a wonderful thing.
    Even though processes can improve people still get things done at end of day

Cons

Leadership from the very top is extremely questionable.
    The company goals do not speak to numbers and the stresses and pressures everyone is feeling. Everything feels like a double edge sword. No matter what we do (despite everyone's motivation and determination) it is just not moving the company anywhere other than down. Everyone is seeking alternate opportunities or sick from stress. Chicken without head. Constantly changing what they want from us.

Advice to Management

Visualize and communicate clear goals that are achievable in the time asked. Consider how it affects our operations and business and customers before you ask for something to change.
    We need a strong leader who has foresight to see ahead of challenges rather than a manager that prodding to get something because we are behind or not where we want to be. A company needs vision and mission but tools to take us there. There is no culture whatsoever.

4. "Dysfunctional mess"

I worked at Motion Specialties (More than a year)

Pros

The ground-level employees (mostly) care about the customer and a good day's work

Cons

- Business model is bound for failure, most locations are bleeding money
    - Management structure is laughable. Depending on your position, you could have had upwards of five managers, pulling you in all directions
    - Policies and procedures are few and far between, leading to inconsistency and lots of chicken-with-head-cut-off situations
    - Pay is a joke, no COLA unless you nag them incessantly
    - Some employees get away with disgusting (sexual etc.) remarks about colleagues on the job
    - Favoritism can be spotted a mile away, resulting in high turnover

Advice to Management

Turn this ship around and fast. Formalize even the most rudimentary of procedures, reorganize the business model to accentuate your value proposition and realize what it means to value your employees.

"I enjoyed working there."

Former Employee - Service Technician in Victoria, BC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Service Technician in Victoria, BC (Canada)

I worked at Motion Specialties full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The office I worked out of (Victoria, BC) was great. The Sales people and management were genuinely passionate about the work they were doing and cared that everyone in the office had the support they needed to get the job done. More than anything I knew when I left work that I actually improved someones day, and that meant a lot.

Cons

With all workplaces there are inefficiencies, though in the home medical equipment field a small mistake can have a significant impact on the clients life. When you had a bad day working here it was a really bad day, and that made it hard to leave work at work more often than not.

Advice to Management

Try to ensure techs are able to be trained by the dealers on all new equipment as it comes out, it makes it much easier for the techs to diagnose and repair equipment in a timely fashion which cuts down on expenses and makes the clients very happy.

"Looking for Challenge?"

Former Employee - Administrator/Office Manager in North York, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Administrator/Office Manager in North York, ON (Canada)

I worked at Motion Specialties (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great team to work with
    Challenge to meet special client needs
    Variety of duties
    Facility well equipped
    Growth of team

Cons

Changes in Management
    Changing strategies
    Change Management
    Time commitment
    Support

7. "Admin"

Former Employee - Administrative in Mississauga, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Administrative in Mississauga, ON (Canada)

I worked at Motion Specialties full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Industry is booming and will not slow down any time soon.

Cons

too many to list. lack of operational efficiency, lack of managerial support, outdated processes, etc

Advice to Management

Turn things around fast, before the doors close on this place for good.

8. "Senior Technician"

Current Employee - Senior Technician in Cambridge, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Senior Technician in Cambridge, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Motion Specialties full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working for Motion Specialties is an extremely rewarding job. In this business we cater to people of all ages with a wide variety of disabilities and as a technician, we are always challenged to find creative, effective and safe ways to help increase an individuals mobility and independence. Furthermore, the employees at Motion Specialties are like family and are always willing and ready to help out a fellow employee.

Cons

The only con is the limitation of pay grade.

Advice to Management

Annual pay increases.

"Horrible company to work for"

Former Employee - Sales
    Former Employee - Sales

I worked at Motion Specialties full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Helping people achieve mobility and health products and support. The lower level employees are great peel to work with and all have a common goal to help others.

Cons

Management is very dysfunctional. No communication with staff. No black and white rules or procedures. What's ok for a favorite employee isn't ok for the others who are they to make the company a better place. A lot of pushy sales reps that only care about there commissions and are very quick to lay blame on others when something isn't right.
    The pay is horrible. The pay is based on who management likes more not on skill, education or seniority. They promise raised and bonuses that are never giving.

Advice to Management

Start fresh with people that are not tainted by being ex owner's and get rid of the "old boys club". The back yard informal meetings and the after hours gossiping phone calls. Don't let your sales reps run you make them accountable. Not making information sharing a priority for all employees and just leaking info to selected people cause a lot of gossip, distrust and misinformation being passed

"This was good group of people to work with, and some brilliant minds to share the knowledge."

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Motion Specialties full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They paid quite well, but negated to accommodate a new hire and co-workers quite unwelcoming at beginning.

Cons

Change of management unfortunately pushed me out the door.

Advice to Management

Speak with your employees and let them know what changes are coming as nothing worse then learning it from outside sources. Also try considering your internal personnel to move up ladder rather than hiring just friends etc.