Motion Specialties Reviews | Glassdoor

2.1
David Fraser

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "service tchnician"

I worked at Motion Specialties full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

dealing with people for their care

Cons

uncertain of what the future is going to be

"Extremely stressful"

Current Employee - Service Technician in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Service Technician in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I have been working at Motion Specialties (More than 5 years)

Pros

You get a chance to help the elderly and disabled to improve their lives. That is about all I can think of.

Cons

Far too few people doing far too much work. Morale is low. Apathy is high. Corporate only cares about profits and bean counting. Poor wages and benefits. Service techs have to use their own tools. Admin staff have frequent computer issues because the new system isn't stable. Worst staff turnover of any company I have worked for.

Advice to Management

Start caring about the staff. Richard Branson is a Billionaire because his Philosophy is to look after his staff first. They in turn will look after the customer.

3. "CFO"

Former Employee - Senior Accounting Manager in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Senior Accounting Manager in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I worked at Motion Specialties full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

empower employees, give out more authorization

Cons

not having enough guidance, lack of procedures and policies

Advice to Management

working together with operations

"Disorganisation"

Current Employee - Technician in North York, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Technician in North York, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Motion Specialties full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Co-workers are excellent. Everyone cares deeply about the wheelchair users we help. There is no 'punch clock'. The work is very independent and there is a lot to learn in this interesting and niche field. There is very little gossip, everyone seems to get along.

Cons

Severe disorganization and a reliance on people when we should rely on systems. Huge problems with warehousing, scheduling, ordering, logistics, but the demand is so high and the competition so little that the company is not motivated to change. Managers come and go what seems like every few months, and try to implement huge changes that fail because they don't know the industry. Employees know a lot more than managers but don't have power to implement change and don't want to become managers because we see them getting fired/let go/quitting all the time.

Advice to Management

Consult key employees before making drastic 'strategic' changes. Take time to implement automatic systems for things, operating procedures and better use of technology instead of relying on more and more admin staff and temps filing paper. Digital is the future! Communicate operating procedures for different scenarios and share them with every single employee. Follow through on timelines for 'strategic changes.' Let people know when they're doing a good job please

"Sales"

I worked at Motion Specialties full-time

Pros

Very rewarding and fulfilling work

Cons

Completely mismanaged. Misogynistic middle management. Clueless upper management.

"Peterborough store"

Current Employee - Service Technician in Peterborough, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Service Technician in Peterborough, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Motion Specialties full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Monday to Friday 8:30 - 5pm, vehicle supplied with fuel card, helping people that need your help, if less than 1200.00 take home for two weeks is what you need then this may be a stepping stone job for you. sales, corporate people and management make all the money, not the front line first responder service techs.

Cons

no compensation or incentive for selling or working after hours or missed lunches and breaks, $17.75 hour that's all you can expect in the Peterborough location if your lucky. On call schedule and working here is something that you don't want to sign up for, unless your under 35 and living at home and you can get ahead on that kind of salary, big turnover at this Peterborough location.

Advice to Management

pay properly for the quality of people you hired, no two techs are the same so pay each according to their skills and abilities not their job title, not all have the same capabilities or desires to do certain jobs, so don't expect all to do the same jobs, work with what you have and contract out or hire for those jobs that your techs are not comfortable doing or feel they are not being compensated enough to do.

"Sales"

Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Pros

freedom to work at own pace so long as the "numbers" are there

Cons

not enough $ for the time put in

"Leadership and foresight lacking"

Pros

People are resilient and great team.
    Being to help people in this business is a wonderful thing.
    Even though processes can improve people still get things done at end of day

Cons

Leadership from the very top is extremely questionable.
    The company goals do not speak to numbers and the stresses and pressures everyone is feeling. Everything feels like a double edge sword. No matter what we do (despite everyone's motivation and determination) it is just not moving the company anywhere other than down. Everyone is seeking alternate opportunities or sick from stress. Chicken without head. Constantly changing what they want from us.

Advice to Management

Visualize and communicate clear goals that are achievable in the time asked. Consider how it affects our operations and business and customers before you ask for something to change.
    We need a strong leader who has foresight to see ahead of challenges rather than a manager that prodding to get something because we are behind or not where we want to be. A company needs vision and mission but tools to take us there. There is no culture whatsoever.

9. "Dysfunctional mess"

I worked at Motion Specialties (More than a year)

Pros

The ground-level employees (mostly) care about the customer and a good day's work

Cons

- Business model is bound for failure, most locations are bleeding money
    - Management structure is laughable. Depending on your position, you could have had upwards of five managers, pulling you in all directions
    - Policies and procedures are few and far between, leading to inconsistency and lots of chicken-with-head-cut-off situations
    - Pay is a joke, no COLA unless you nag them incessantly
    - Some employees get away with disgusting (sexual etc.) remarks about colleagues on the job
    - Favoritism can be spotted a mile away, resulting in high turnover

Advice to Management

Turn this ship around and fast. Formalize even the most rudimentary of procedures, reorganize the business model to accentuate your value proposition and realize what it means to value your employees.

"I enjoyed working there."

Former Employee - Service Technician in Victoria, BC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Service Technician in Victoria, BC (Canada)

I worked at Motion Specialties full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The office I worked out of (Victoria, BC) was great. The Sales people and management were genuinely passionate about the work they were doing and cared that everyone in the office had the support they needed to get the job done. More than anything I knew when I left work that I actually improved someones day, and that meant a lot.

Cons

With all workplaces there are inefficiencies, though in the home medical equipment field a small mistake can have a significant impact on the clients life. When you had a bad day working here it was a really bad day, and that made it hard to leave work at work more often than not.

Advice to Management

Try to ensure techs are able to be trained by the dealers on all new equipment as it comes out, it makes it much easier for the techs to diagnose and repair equipment in a timely fashion which cuts down on expenses and makes the clients very happy.