Motive Interactive Reviews | Glassdoor

Found 13 reviews

4.3
Motive Interactive CEO Brendan J. Smith
Brendan J. Smith

"Bringing a little bit of San Francisco to San Diego"

Current Employee - Business Development in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Motive Interactive full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Awesome office - Beer fridge / plenty of snacks and drinks / constant free lunches and parties - Weekly massage therapist - Lots of company branded swag - Plenty of autonomy in work - Flexible hours with opportunity to work from home on occassion - Commissions based on overall company growth as well as individual growth - Excellent work stations (new computers, mice, keyboards, monitors) - Lots of shared... space to collaborate and or just hang out and chat with co-workers - Management is quick to act on new ideas

Cons

- Repetitiveness in daily job (probably most jobs though) - No 401k match (this should be a given) - No company equity (would be cool) - Forced "9 to 5" (sometimes you finish your daily work early)

Advice to Management

Motive is trying to bring a little bit of that frantic high-tech San Francisco style of company to laid-back So Cal and has succeeded in many ways, but also has its faults. The industry itself is fairly cutting edge, but we're not changing the world, there's no need to try to convince the staff that we're doing something greater during this short time we're here on earth. We're serving ads. Companies have served... ads long before us, and will long after we're gone, let's just have fun with it while we can! The best part about Motive is the collaboration and the people. Management does a great job at hiring, and if you are so lucky to get a job here, treasure it! You can make the job what you want, there's plenty of people who would rather come in, do their work and leave, which is fine, they get their 'stuff' done, but there's also those who enjoy working together, solving problems and using the shared spaces in the office to toss around new ideas. The new office spaces are very conducive for such a growing group of people. We spend so much time at work and management, especially the CEO, really tries to make Motive a place that you want to brag to your friends and family about, and I do!

Motive Interactive2017-11-13
  2. "Great place to work, hope it stays"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Motive Interactive full-time for more than a year

Pros

salary, benefits, work environment, support, outings, co-workers are friendly

Cons

Productivity could be better. Important to stay competitive with similar companies.

Motive Interactive2019-03-19

"Re-enforced my opinion of ad-tech as slap-dash."

I worked at Motive Interactive full-time

Pros

Very energetic crowd, good health benefits, the CEO seems to really care about everyone.

Cons

I felt like I only got silence in response to pointed questions about the direction management wanted to take the company, and I really got the impression that second-best work was okay unless it was going to sink the ship.

Advice to Management

Considering the environmental impact of the kitchen snack foods is fine, but also share the vision for the company.

Motive Interactive2018-05-10

"Forward-thinking, collaborative and casual environment!"

Current Employee - Analyst in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Motive Interactive full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Collaborative, forward-thinking and casual company - Management/coworkers are open to new ideas/methods - Fast-paced & lean...able to pivot and evolve - Everyone's role makes a significant and immediate impact - Strong (and fun) emphasis on culture: company outings and events, celebrates the wins, work hard/play hard - Open communication across all levels

Cons

Also fast-paced and lean (growing pains)

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing

Motive Interactive2017-10-13

"Great Stepping Stone to other Opportunities"

Former Employee - Software Developer in San Diego, CA

I worked at Motive Interactive full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Startup atmosphere - Happy hours and other team building events - Some flexibility in changing process (depending on your team) - Ability to learn the full lifecycle of mobile adtech - Great if you're in your twenties and are willing to forego some benefits to gain experience quickly - Little micromanaging - you can take a lot of initiative - The employees are fun to work with and knowledgeable - Beer... fridge, team lunches, holiday events

Cons

- Culture stemming from upper management breeds competition within and across teams, holding back collaboration because everyone feels like they need to look out for themselves. - Communication at all levels and between teams, despite it being a "company value" - This is a sales company, even if they try to market themselves as a tech company. Just keep that in mind if you are coming in as a developer. Proper... software architecture and planning may have to be put on hold for getting things out asap. - Lack of mentorship - self-learning can only take you so far, but there's no one to mentor you to the next level - No matching 401k or company equity - Dependent benefits are horrible (paltry spouse life insurance, employee responsibility for monthly premiums for dependents) - No consistent schedule for promotions or raises - Yearly bonuses are replaced by a little tech gadget or a gift card

Advice to Management

- Value your employees by giving them proper compensation and benefits that match the market - they will be more willing to have more "grit" - Actions speak louder than words - don't say one thing and then do the exact opposite - Competition can be good if used effectively, otherwise it can breed a toxic work environment

Motive Interactive2017-10-26
  6. "Exceptional culture and work environment."

Current Employee - Junior Developer in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Motive Interactive full-time for less than a year

Pros

Comfortable working environment. Healthy culture of honesty and candor. Mutual respect between teams. Exciting company outings and activities. Great leadership.

Cons

Limited remote options for developers

Advice to Management

Motive's company values change and transform as time goes on, which is fine. However, I think our values of candor and grit should remain entrenched in our values.

Motive Interactive2017-09-25
  7. "Great Company in growing industry"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Motive Interactive full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Opportunities in a growing and relevant field Competitive Pay, Benefits & Vacation Great company events, happy hours and perks Flexible work/life balance Excellent hands off management style

Cons

Sales takes calls at weird hours with international clients

Advice to Management

Continue to grow and be ahead of the industry

Motive Interactive2017-09-22
  8. "Great Work Environment and Team"

Former Employee - Publisher Development in San Diego, CA

I worked at Motive Interactive full-time for more than a year

Pros

The atmosphere in the office is unlike any other place I have worked. Most of the employees that work here tend to stay and it is easy to understand why. I left for another opportunity and growth, but chose to leave the new job due to a completely different experience. Currently, I work on and off as a consultant whenever I am needed while developing my own products.

Cons

There is very little negative to say about Motive, at least about the team. Depending on what part of the company you work in, it can definitely be challenging. However, if that is something that deters you from accepting a job, you might not be the right fit any how.

Advice to Management

Keep it up!

9. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Business Development in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Motive Interactive full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Flexible Schedule - Great team collaboration - Encouraging managers - Opportunity to succeed in a thriving industry

Cons

- I don't see any cons working here. Happy with the job/lifestyle it provides.

Advice to Management

Keep encouraging employees and finding ways to work with their strengths. This has worked great with me and will certainly help with our careers moving forward.

"Good company"

Former Employee - Sales Stuff

I worked at Motive Interactive full-time for less than a year

Pros

If you show that you're willing to learn and up for challenges, management will give you more responsibilities or try and help you grow. Unfortunately, it's mostly a sales/agency company so growth is still very limited. Mostly not micro-managed, management is pretty chill and fairly reasonable. Listens to good ideas and company is eager to pursue different opportunities to diversify revenue, and not afraid... to give something a shot to see how it pans out.

Cons

Management expects you to be responsive around the clock, since a lot of the business is international. Not a lot of growth Small company, ok benefits.. CEO kinda sucks, bit of an ass-hole sometimes.

Advice to Management

Keep growing and pursuing different ideas, continue with fun offsites.

Motive Interactive2017-07-23