Cover image for Motive

Motive CEO Shoaib Makani
Shoaib Makani

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Motive and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years
    Featured Review

Best Place to work

Mar 18, 2022 - Embedded Software Engineer in Buffalo, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

Work Life Balance Tons of new products and features to work on Huge opportunities for career growth Managers value me as a person as well as a contributor

Cons

None that I can think of

3 people found this review helpful
  2. 5.0

Great Tech Company

Oct 27, 2022 - OnBoarding Project Manager in Detroit, MI
    Business Outlook

Pros

Constant learning of product and revenue streams

Cons

Lots of flexibility in roles and responsibilities

3. Join the Motive team
    See Our Latest Jobs
  4. 3.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Good company, but needs to actually listen to their employees

Nov 23, 2022 - Sales
    Business Outlook

Pros

Overall the people I work with are awesome and I enjoy working with my team everyday. The company offers a great product and service to many companies out there

Cons

Seems like with the company going public soon, upper management and top company executives only care about their stock price. That being said they raise quotas and expectations that are almost unattainable for the AE's. I saw this coming when I began as they hired lots of new people into the sales org and half of them left the company already because they werent able to hit their quotas giving the terrible account quality. Also this is how they lay off people they raise quotas for people so they make it impossible for them to achieve and then they can fire them instead of giving them a severance package.

5. 2.0

Hyper masculine company culture

Nov 17, 2022 - Sr. Manager IT in San Francisco, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Employees are compensated well, typically well above industry. Many state of the art vendors (there's a tool for that).

Cons

Senior leadership doesn't appear to care about burning out employees or work life balance. On the one hand they speak about psychological safety and mental health, on the other, they lack clear role expectations for new joiners with immediate consequences if you don't meet unknown standards. SLT consistently demonstrate low EQ and people skills which trickles down to frontline managers. Broken promises. Yelling. Pings throughout the night. HR equivocates.

6. 3.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Meh

Nov 3, 2022 - Commercial SDR
    Business Outlook

Pros

- The people in the commercial segment are wonderful to work with (besides a few AE's - The SDR managers are great and do their best to keep the job as enjoyable as possible

Cons

- Most of the leads provided are total junk -Quota can seem quite unattainable at times resulting in a crazy high turnover rate -Not a ton of room for mistakes, if you don't hit quota in the first 3 months you get canned

7. 3.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Good Company, Poor Communication

Nov 1, 2022 - Commercial SDR
    Business Outlook

Pros

Coworkers are great. There's a pretty good work-life balance (as long as you're hitting your numbers), and most managers are pretty laid back.

Cons

Beware of the relationships you build with management. You won't hear from them when you put in your notice or get fired. They are masking their layoffs by making their performance policy more strict and making the numbers harder to attain.

Motive Response

Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback. We are sorry to hear about your experience at Motive. We are growing quickly which at times presents its challenges. We are actively evaluating the performance of our teams to ensure we're hitting our goals to scale the business. If you’d like to provide further feedback please email us at opendoor@gomotive.com. Thanks again for providing your feedback.

8. 4.0

Strong Leadership

Oct 24, 2022 - Project Manager
    Business Outlook

Pros

The C-level effectively communicates high-level company vision to help everyone align on initiatives.

Cons

Some processes have room for better efficiency and consistency.

9. 5.0

Great place to work!

Oct 4, 2022 - Commercial Sales Development Manager in Nashville, TN
    Business Outlook

Pros

Amazing people & easy to get promoted

Cons

Lots of cold calling and cold emailing

10. 1.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Passive Aggressive Culture that wont hire you without a degree

Nov 7, 2022 - Sales Development Representative in Nashville, TN
    Business Outlook

Pros

When I started, the people were great and there were tons of room for growth.

Cons

Yes, there are growing pains with every startup, but the treatment of the employees was horrific. A common trend is a manager who would give passive-aggressive remarks and try to halt the internal growth of their team members. This can be said for leaders on both the sales and HR sides. Additionally, upper leadership says they care about diversity, but it is very well known that they only like to hire people with bachelor's degrees. Not having a degree has now become an excuse to not hire diverse people, and that is very clear.

11. 3.0

Rollercoaster of changes

Oct 10, 2022 - Commercial SDR in Nashville, TN
    Business Outlook

Pros

The jobs remote, basically free health care, lots of younger people work here, Sick time plus unlimited PTO (as long as you can hit quota)

Cons

Company grew too fast and hired a large number of people to make their IPO coming up look good. Every month about 5-7 employees will leave on their own or fired because of a PIP. And that's just the SDR side, Commercial AEs are dropping like flies as well. Reasons why that happens are cause of the rebrand, before we rebranded you could hit your quota early or a few days before the end of the month, and now they buy a bunch of company's information and filter it by revenue and you will have accounts dropped in your name to call that have no vehicles (no use for motive), companies that don't have enough vehicles in your segment to work and accounts that are duplicates that are already being worked by another SDR. A lot of shadiness to the job as well, begging your AEs to qualify your meetings, venmoing them to qualify something early for you to hit quota and even heard of managers under the table paying AEs to qualify meetings on behalf of the SDRs. In reality this is a good company to work for and wasnt like this when I first started but they are going through growing pains and will change policies that have been in place to benefit upper managements numbers so they don't look bad. But in the end they will always keep their job. If you have made it this far, I recommend reaching out to past SDRs and asking why they left the company.

3 people found this review helpful

Motive Response

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. From the top down, the key to our business is our commitment to not only our customers but your employees. The experience our team members have at Motive is essential to our business as it helps us attract top talent and continue to grow at the rate we have. Being a part of a start-up and coming out of a rebrand oftentimes requires changes to previous processes that were in place. With that being said, this is the first time this has been brought to our attention by our sales department. This is not how we operate our business, so we don’t take this feedback lightly. We strive to provide an environment where team members feel they’re valued, treated fairly, and respected. Our employees are encouraged to provide further feedback at opendoor@motive.com to help us understand the situation in more detail. Thank you again for your insight, it helps us grow and will make Motive better.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 771 Reviews
</>Embed

Motive Reviews FAQs

Motive has an overall rating of 4.1 out of 5, based on over 805 reviews left anonymously by employees. 82% of employees would recommend working at Motive to a friend and 79% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has improved by 1% over the last 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, Motive employees rate their compensation and benefits as 4.1 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at Motive. This rating has been stable over the past 12 months.

82% of Motive employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated Motive 4.0 out of 5 for work life balance, 4.2 for culture and values and 4.1 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at Motive to be career development, benefits, culture and the cons to be management, senior leadership.

Popular Careers with Motive Job Seekers