Cover image for Motive
Logo

Engaged Employer

Add a Review

Motive Employee Reviews about "leadership"

Updated Dec 7, 2022

Found 84 of over 813 reviews

4.1
Motive CEO Shoaib Makani
Shoaib Makani

What people are saying about Motive

Join the conversation on

Advertising

1y

a

Copywriter

Imagine the best deck you’ve ever seen. Beautiful, evocative, emotive full bleed imagery. The copy is sharp, funny in places, emotional in places, but always insightful and thoughtprovoking. Imagine your partner or person you’ve been seeing creates this deck to break it off with you. How do you feel?

10 Comments

Join the conversation on

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Motive and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "leadership"

Return to all Reviews
  1. 5.0
    Featured Review

One of the best working environments

Dec 7, 2022 - Site Reliability Engineer
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Unlimited PTOs - Great teammates - Challenging opportunities - Good review process - Continuous support and growth

Cons

- Gaps in calibers of different teams -- Some teams do a lot of work in comparison to a few others

Motive Response

Thank you for taking the time to write a thoughtful review! We appreciate hearing about your personal experience and are glad to learn that you enjoy our work environment and company perks. If you would like to provide further feedback, please contact us at opendoor@motive.com.

2. 5.0

Great Tech Company

Oct 27, 2022 - OnBoarding Project Manager in Detroit, MI
    Business Outlook

Pros

Constant learning of product and revenue streams

Cons

Lots of flexibility in roles and responsibilities

3. Join the Motive team
    See Our Latest Jobs
  4. 3.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Good company, but needs to actually listen to their employees

Nov 23, 2022 - Sales
    Business Outlook

Pros

Overall the people I work with are awesome and I enjoy working with my team everyday. The company offers a great product and service to many companies out there

Cons

Seems like with the company going public soon, upper management and top company executives only care about their stock price. That being said they raise quotas and expectations that are almost unattainable for the AE's. I saw this coming when I began as they hired lots of new people into the sales org and half of them left the company already because they werent able to hit their quotas giving the terrible account quality. Also this is how they lay off people they raise quotas for people so they make it impossible for them to achieve and then they can fire them instead of giving them a severance package.

5. 2.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Be specific in interview process to understand what you're walking into..

Oct 4, 2022 - Commercial Account Executive
    Business Outlook

Pros

The accelerators make up for the low base (I guess is a pro). Colleagues on teams are a great resource in help.

Cons

Upper Leadership within the Commercial Org. Expectations are increasing. Problem is less than half of the Commercial Org reps are hitting their quotas (ask specifically about fully ramped reps to quota attainment in Q3 and prior). They may have "lowered" one month, but the overall quarter expectation was an uptick from the previous. They are throwing headcount at increasing target attainment. A lofty target attainment. you are just a number towards the overall picture of hitting a targeted plan for the segment as a whole. Performance metrics are based on 2 month rolling average and 6 month percent averages. Not much weight to past performances, all what have you done for me lately. 2 month rolling avg on quarter by quarter quotas is nagging unnecessary stress. Very granular. PTO is contingent on the time you take it. They advise against end of months, end of quarters. PTO can be revoked based upon where you're at performance wise. There's no quota relief regardless of why it is that you're out of office. It's not "Unlimited" Database for prospecting is disastrous. You spend so much time cross referencing legitimacy of accounts when prospecting. You provide examples but nothing has really changed with this. Internal processes can be a huge time suck.

2 people found this review helpful
  6. 2.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

More bad than good

Dec 7, 2022 - Commercial Account Executive
    Business Outlook

Pros

Work from home, good product, lots of tools for doing your job (zoom info, Salesloft, seismic, etc)

Cons

Training is awful or non existent. Spent hours each week in meetings answering the same questions over and over again, and never covering anything new. If you don’t get off to a good start you’re 2 months away from being shown the door. Sales directors don’t care to help, and have some of the most condescending attitudes when talking to reps.

7. 2.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Great Product, Internal Direction is Shifting

Aug 30, 2022 - Customer Success Manager
    Business Outlook

Pros

-Great product and overall happy customers. -Supportive management for a while.

Cons

-Economic struggles have caused a shift in management to a more heavy micro-management style that is coming from the top down. -Company policies and metrics have become more strict from the top down within the last couple of months and verbal and written warnings are handed out very frequently. -Struggle to hit numbers as a company the last few months has caused volatility. What at first was an increase in headcount due to success and looking to IPO soon, quickly turned into seemingly looking to weed out employees (again, coming from top leadership down to individual contributors) to avoid paying severance packages with layoffs, by very quickly and frequently handing out verbal and written warnings. It's almost like a fast track to terminate employees to not have to pay out benefits involved in layoffs. -Lately, management has seemed to target specific employees and write them off, making it hard to change that narrative and be motivated to succeed without real, genuine support. -Highly saturated market and promises of growth and success / IPO with RSU's (restricted stock units) that keeps getting pushed back.

6 people found this review helpful
  8. 2.0

Hyper masculine company culture

Nov 17, 2022 - Sr. Manager IT in San Francisco, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Employees are compensated well, typically well above industry. Many state of the art vendors (there's a tool for that).

Cons

Senior leadership doesn't appear to care about burning out employees or work life balance. On the one hand they speak about psychological safety and mental health, on the other, they lack clear role expectations for new joiners with immediate consequences if you don't meet unknown standards. SLT consistently demonstrate low EQ and people skills which trickles down to frontline managers. Broken promises. Yelling. Pings throughout the night. HR equivocates.

1 person found this review helpful
  9. 1.0
    Former Employee

Honest review

Aug 23, 2022 - Sales Development Representative
    Business Outlook

Pros

The managers are very friendly and outgoing and most coworkers were great people.

Cons

Please be very careful in pursuing a role with this company. They consistently are fluctuating the monthly quota. One month it will be 10, the next it will be 8, then the next it will be back to 10. The onboarding process was horrendous they gave a class one week of training then immediately put them on the phones without any ramp month. They had one week of ramp and then was immediately put on a 7 SAO monthly quota. While some other classes had two months or Ramos months. The training program was very vague and short. They mentioned in the recruiting process that they promote from within. In my year there I only saw a handful of coworkers get promoted internally. While they hired numerous people externally in roles that could have been given to very qualified people within our sales org. The leads are horrendous, often times the companies no longer existed or the contacts they had weren’t even with the company anymore. They promised new fresh leads that they have done “research” on because people were not obtaining quota. We’ll nothing changed, the accounts continually had no vehicles or didn’t even exist. I saw countless people leave the company in my short time there. All in all the people you work with here are phenomenal and the managers are very outgoing. I would just be very cautious before accepting a role with this company.

5 people found this review helpful
  10. 1.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

Just skip over Motive

Nov 1, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

the pay is fair, depending on where you live

Cons

Remote first is going away, they are wanting to bring more individuals in the office. If you identify as a woman you will not be promoted, you are almost disqualified for promotions when you go on leave. You are constantly battling leadership on what direction they are going in. No one is transparent and the higher you go in the company the more disrespectful individuals are. The founders dont have the experience for the orgs they are hiring for. Once they do hire individuals to run their orgs, they dont trust them and are apart of every process, which makes everything unorganized.

4 people found this review helpful

Motive Response

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. Motive is a remote-first organization- while some of our employees are more effective working remotely, we recognize that others may be more productive and collaborative in-office. Therefore, team members have the option to work on-site at any of our eight global office locations if they live within close proximity. At Motive, we're committed to creating a diverse, equitable, and inclusive workplace. We openly share our employee demographics and invite employee feedback on areas we can do better. While we have improved the representation of women on our teams (29% in the US), we acknowledge we still have work to do. If you'd like to discuss your experience further, please contact us at opendoor@motive.com. Thank you again for your insight.

11. 1.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Passive Aggressive Culture that wont hire you without a degree

Nov 7, 2022 - Sales Development Representative in Nashville, TN
    Business Outlook

Pros

When I started, the people were great and there were tons of room for growth.

Cons

Yes, there are growing pains with every startup, but the treatment of the employees was horrific. A common trend is a manager who would give passive-aggressive remarks and try to halt the internal growth of their team members. This can be said for leaders on both the sales and HR sides. Additionally, upper leadership says they care about diversity, but it is very well known that they only like to hire people with bachelor's degrees. Not having a degree has now become an excuse to not hire diverse people, and that is very clear.

1 person found this review helpful

Motive Response

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. We're sorry to hear that your experience at Motive is not living up to your expectations. At motive, we are committed to creating a diverse, equitable, and inclusive workplace. To improve representation amongst our teams, we host and sponsor recruiting events focused on underrepresented groups to attract top talent. In the past year, we have sponsored Sistas in Sales, Techqueria, AfroTech, Women Who Code, Lesbians Who Tech, Women Impact Tech, Latinas in Tech, and Catalyst. Most importantly, our managers are regularly trained on unconscious bias, inclusive leadership, anti-discrimination, and building trust and psychological safety on teams. Your experience is not one we will tolerate and we'd like to discuss it in more detail so that we can address it and improve going forward. Please contact us at opendoor@motive.com to help us understand in more detail. Thank you again for your insight, it helps us grow and make Motive better.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 84 Reviews