MotivePower Reviews | Glassdoor

MotivePower Reviews

Updated Jun 21, 2019

Found 17 reviews

2.1
MotivePower CEO  (no image)
  1. "Engineer"

I worked at MotivePower full-time

Pros

Fast paced, interesting product, lots of challenges. Never a dull moment and always something to work on.

Cons

Poor communication between different systems on the locomotive could lead to multiple redesigns.

Advice to Management

Improve communication and transparency from a system level down to engineers working on individual components in the locomotive

MotivePower2016-06-30
  2. "Salary so I can look at this site"

Former Employee - Administrative in Boise, ID

I worked at MotivePower full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Cool manufacturing environment that's it!

Cons

Safety control is out of control itself! The buisness is about turning profit and no respect for employees or their families. They have eliminated their family culture and have employees work long hours.

Advice to Management

Listen to the employees and QUIT working the employees into split households because of LONG hours.

MotivePower2019-06-21
  3. "Manufacturing Company"

Former Employee - Electrical Engineer in Boise, ID

I worked at MotivePower full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Unique opportunity to design locomotives.

Cons

Work load is unstable very large turnover.

MotivePower2019-01-24

"liers"

Former Employee - Locomotive Mechanic in Boise, ID

I worked at MotivePower full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

the people that worked there

Cons

told there would be no lay offs next day they lay off half the plant

Advice to Management

maybe you should lay off the morons not by longevity of employment

MotivePower2017-09-28
  5. "Company is going under for a reason."

Locomotive Mechanic in Boise, ID

I worked at MotivePower for more than a year

Pros

Health benefits and retirement plan. People doing the actual labor are hard workers.

Cons

Bad hours. No consistent schedule - days, nights, swing, nights, swing, days, swing, nights, days. Work you 13 days straight and they get to pick your day off. It is not possible to have a work/life balance. Was promised numerous pay raises - took 8 months before it finally happened. Direct management kept making excuses and passing the buck. Entire crew has found new employment for a reason.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the management in the loco shop and make sure that the new management follows through with their commitments.

MotivePower2017-04-14
  6. "mechanic"

Former Employee - Mechanic

I worked at MotivePower full-time

Pros

1weekvac after 1year 3days personal after 1 year medical and dental insurance holiday pay and all the overtime you want.

Cons

Never getting a promotion never getting a product out on time never getting parts on time and always dealing with new manager's.

Advice to Management

Need to get the right people for the job rather than just bringing in anybody that doesn't know what their doing in a locomotive industry.

MotivePower2016-11-24
  7. "Be aware"

I worked at MotivePower full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Coworkers were awesome people to work with Good benefits.

Cons

There is life outside work

Advice to Management

Care about the workers listen to them they have some great ideas

MotivePower2016-08-23
  8. "It was so much better"

I have been working at MotivePower full-time

Pros

Friendly people, opportunity to advance if you show potential, interesting place to work and tell people about.

Cons

They have gone so safety crazy that they are causing dangers to employees lately. Layers upon layers of eye protection to the point that you cant see what you're doing. New bump cap policy that is causing people headaches and discomfort during work. They will severely overwork you if they can.

Advice to Management

Bring back the enjoyable atmosphere. It seems that everything people liked about working there, you are taking away while adding things that are nobody wants. I loved the job because it was 4 10 hour days and that was great, but for some reason you decided that 5 8s was better.

MotivePower2016-06-01
  9. "Engineering"

Former Employee - Design Engineer in Boise, ID

I worked at MotivePower full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good People, Exciting Work, Lots of different roles and variety in products. It is great to work at the factory and to be able to work on projects for customers around the world. The location and work environment are also good.

Cons

Not enough preparation and planning. To much reactive thinking and not enough process development. Management lacks a clear company vision. They also lack an understanding of the marketplace and how to be successful in it.

Advice to Management

Work to develop an actionable company mission and stick to the plan. Plan for and facilitate success. Invest more in training your workforce.

MotivePower2016-04-10

"The management, culture, and safety performance here are a joke."

Former Employee - Harness Builder in Boise, ID

I worked at MotivePower full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good pay for production work, with no experience. The benefits are above average. It was a pleasure and an honor to work with the crew at night in the component shop.

Cons

While they preach about culture and safety, they are very clumsy in their execution. During your first two days of orientation, you are never told about the nuances of the politics on the floor. For example, if you have an issue, you are supposed to take the problem to your lead and leave it there. I was never told this before I first stepped on the production floor. Leaving a message about an issue found or... taken care of on a pass down, is considered hostile. In other words, the managers are going overboard with the PC concept that is supposedly there to prevent a shift "war". I have never ever had any issues like this, on any other job other than MPI. The daily meetings before shift are usually filled with repetitive, wordy statistics in regards to safety, even though all of this information is clearly posted, in many areas around the shop already. Workers are also too shy to speak out, because of the PC concerns the managers monitor. The meetings can last from 30 to 60 minutes long. Which leads me to another problem here. If you have an idea to make your job easier, if you mention this to a trainer or a fellow co worker, without consulting your lead first, you can look forward to your lead acting like a drill sergeant and screaming literally in your face, in front of your co workers. I was also called stupid by my lead, when I admitted to making a mistake. I was able to fix the error in just five minutes, and the purpose of saying something was to show I wasn't afraid to own up to my mistake. A co worker of mine who witnessed this, said, "Maybe honesty isn't always the best policy." On top of this, the managers are ok with this behavior, as a few of them are former military. I guess they don't acknowledge honorable intentions. In addition to this, even though I had a flawless attendance record and was able to work ahead of the expected times to do my job, I lost my job because of the managers overzealous PC witch hunt. My day time counterpart and I always greeted one another positively, and while she would criticize me, I never reported it to my lead, because I'm an adult. The place is a virtual PC minefield that you have to traverse everyday there, because you never knew what you could and could not say until it was too late, as it was in my case. So it's best not to make friends, never sit and talk to anyone during breaks and lunches, and never complain nor share an idea. In other words, they want robots. Next, the safety record here is deplorable. While they preach about the subject of safety, the number of accidents are already at record highs for the company this year (2016). It's pretty obvious that the reason behind the high number of accidents happening, is due to the high number of inexperienced, low paid temps being brought into the shops of late. The upper management are also using a transparent ploy, to encourage people to start recognizing people for good behavior at work. It's obvious that the parent company is noticing that management here at MPI is poor, and more than likely reads former employee reviews. However I digress, and to add to the aforementioned problems, the upper management is now leaning on middle management in regards to Hot Work Permits as well. IE, if a welder starts an arc without one, the middle manager is severely punished, which in turns means that the manager has no choice but to go overboard enforcing these rules, which leads to the issue of making employees feeling oppressed. The irony here is thick. The hypocrisy of the leads to the upper management is also transparent and noticed even by the temps. In closing, in regards to the cons, I find it amusing that MPI will hire people with zero experience as a mechanic or electrician, yet put these people in those very roles. While the component shop does have an impeccable record of low hours toward re-work and errors, the rest of the shops are constantly struggling to tone down the mistakes. Mostly due to inexperienced workers.

Advice to Management

It's obvious your culture change initiative is not working, your method of problem solving processes are broken, and people's trust in you is low due to the high tension created by this new culture. You might actually keep a lot more people if you learned to turn the volume down a bit.

MotivePower2016-02-26