Motley Coffeehouse Reviews | Glassdoor

Motley Coffeehouse Reviews

4.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
CEO

1. "Amazing amazing experience"

Former Employee - Barista in Claremont, CA

I worked at Motley Coffeehouse part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- An amazing and supportive community
    - A fun atmosphere in a business that strives to give back to the world and the local community
    - Great way to get work study
    - Experience working in a fast paced environment with supportive coworkers and managers
    - Easy to communicate with managers and barista leads

Cons

- When you start out, it is likely you'll get saddled with one or more closing shifts, which can suck
    - Tips are almost non-existent
    - Given the turnover rate for managers (who are all also students), it can hard to have continuity of policies from year to year and sometimes it is hard to effect change in a timely manner
    - They run out of things kind of frequently which annoys customers

Advice to Management

Try to make change happen more quickly especially when it comes to posting updated menu items AND their correct price. Also be more on top of ordering enough of highly desired items (vanilla syrup, etc).

2. "Making drinks is fun, fitting in can be hard"

I worked at Motley Coffeehouse part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I really enjoyed learning how to make drinks. They do a few events during the year to try to connect the baristas, such as latte art workshops or secret santa-ish thing, as well as an annual gift (Motley mug, sweatshirt, other swag). The workplace is cool.

Cons

Your first year, you'll likely be doing one or two opening or closings, which can be rough. They also tried to be an intersectional feminist coffeehouse, but depending on the year or management, most of the baristas are white feminists and they aren't really so connected to SCORE.

Advice to Management

Management changes every year. My advice is focus on authentically supporting marginalized communities at Scripps or the 5Cs. Have open hours for new baristas who feel unconfident to come, maybe after closing on the weekends, to practice making drinks.

3. "barista"

I worked at Motley Coffeehouse part-time (More than a year)

Pros

A perfect part-time job for a college student at Scripps. This job was one of the highlights of my time at Scripps, and a perfect break from studying.

Cons

At times it can be stressful to have to work 9+ hours a week, especially during finals. But definitely worth-it

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing!

4. "I worked along side THE BEST baristas and friends. I also learned how to make a mean peppermint mocha."

I worked at Motley Coffeehouse part-time (More than a year)

Pros

great work environment, great vibe and culture.

Cons

Management was at times disorganized and we ran out of a lot of key products behind the bar.

Advice to Management

Streamline the ordering and handling of our products!

5. "Great personable working atmosphere, but can be hard to juggle the schedules of full-time students."

Current Employee - Barista in Claremont, CA
    Current Employee - Barista in Claremont, CA

I have been working at Motley Coffeehouse part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Sustainability focused and interested in social justice. Student-managers rely on and communicate with student baristas expensively.

Cons

Student-managers can miss important deadlines, causing product shortages which are frustrating to deal with as a barista.

Advice to Management

Limit the number of unique and complicated drinks on the menu, the wait for customers can be long and stressful for baristas when dealing with complex and unique menu items.

6. "Motley Coffeehouse provides a nurturing and relaxed environment. Overall, a very fun experience."

Former Employee - Barista in Claremont, CA

Pros

Laidback and fun environment
    Full of interesting, creative minds with big goals
    You get to serve some really nice people

Cons

You can't do other work while there like a lot of on-campus jobs
    Management has too much work to do for a student job and so that can be a difficult promotion

Advice to Management

Be more helpful in providing information for newly hired managers so that turnover is an easier process. Make sure to take notes as a manager early on.

7. "Overall this is a place of employment where you can gain incredible hands on experience while in school."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Claremont, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Claremont, CA

Pros

The level of agency you get at such a young age is remarkable. You have an incredible amount of freedom to exercise and accomplish your projects. Relationships between co-workers are unbeatable.

Cons

Unfortunately, due to its non-profit status the Motley cannot compensate its employees as well as other comparable positions elsewhere. However, for the kinds of experience you receive, the human capital you build and the support network, it is worth it.

Advice to Management

Finding a better, more efficient way to communicate information and changes to the employee's job would be helpful to the staff.

8. "Love!"

I worked at Motley Coffeehouse part-time

Pros

Most amazing place to work. I became the best version of myself at this job. I learned that running a company with a political and social mission is about so much more than numbers and profit but is about community and really engaging with that mission very actively. I learned so much.

Cons

A lot of work for a full-time student but well worth it.

9. "Fantastic On-Campus Opportunity"

I have been working at Motley Coffeehouse part-time

Pros

Huge amount of creative direction, opportunities to advance within the organization and invaluable experience for an undergraduate students

Cons

Difficult to balance school and work, high rates of turnover due to graduation which leads to some inconsistencies

Advice to Management

Continue attempts to maintain knowledge as positions are passed on