Motley Fool Reviews in Alexandria, VA | Glassdoor

4.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Motley Fool CEO Tom Gardner
Tom Gardner

Pros
  • It has helped re-introduce a strong work/life balance into my family (in 10 reviews)

• The mission at The Motley Fool is to help the world invest -- better and everyone in the company knows it and is completely committed to it (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Don't try so hard to keep up with the latest trends (in 5 reviews)

• There's no clear career path and managers aren't required to have set metrics for subordinates (in 7 reviews)

1. "Great!"

Current Freelancer - Freelance Writer in Alexandria, VA
    Current Freelancer - Freelance Writer in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at Motley Fool (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good people, fun work environment

Cons

Ultimately, the Fool is a sales engine for its newsletters.

2. "Temp"

Former Contractor - Temporary Associate in Alexandria, VA
    Former Contractor - Temporary Associate in Alexandria, VA

I worked at Motley Fool as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Great environment, everyone is super friendly and helpful.

Cons

not much upward mobility from temp position but great experience and great people

Advice to Management

keep being awesome

"was great now depressing"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at Motley Fool full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Generally fun atmosphere and good benefits. Not a lot of oversight which is good if you are self motivated.

Cons

The foundation of the business is really starting to suffer now after years of focusing on short term thinking/results. Times seem desperate now and they are... It's time to stop chasing dreams of being a big company (for the sake of being big) and concentrate on being a great company with a focused mission.

Advice to Management

Don't drag the business down by pursuing vanity projects. Bring focus and resources back to the core business.

"Investment Team Lacks Diversity, Team Leads Reluctant to Hear New Ideas"

Current Employee - Investment Analyst in Alexandria, VA
    Current Employee - Investment Analyst in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at Motley Fool full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Compared to traditional finance companies, the Fool is a low key place to work. No need to dress up or wear a tie. Everyone, even the CIO, has a cubby and is seated in pods of four. Great to bounce around ideas and hear what's happening in other parts of the floor. There are usually weekly meetings and assignments are distributed on a timely basis.

Most reviews here mention benefits, like organized trips and concerts, but most people on the investment team tends to be less social.

Cons

I came to the Fool under the impression that it runs like a startup, where new ideas are accepted and everyone is encouraged to participate. In reality, the Fool runs like a big company, no different than your typical Wall Street company. It's very hierarchical and you don't get much say especially if you are new.

To stay afloat, you need to put your head down and do what your manager tells you to do. Be prepared to have managers way younger than you. They may not know what they talking about, investment-wise, but they'll have seniority over you, because they've been at the Fool longer.

The investment team lacks diversity -- there are very few women and employees of color. Many of its new hires tends to be mainstream rejects. In other words, if you don't fit the traditional mold (college + MBA + work experience), the Fool will likely hire you.

Everything at the Fool is about doing it the "Fool-ish" way and God forbid you come in to the company with previous experience, especially Wall Street experience, you'll be shunned and ostracized. The Fool prides itself as being anti-Wall Street, so definitely don't flaunt your past experiences or expertise. No matter your background, when you enter the Fool, you start from ground zero and must work your way up. Unfortunately, it's very hard, because performance isn't based on merit, but on how effective you are at sucking up to the right people.

If you are new at the company, definitely don't speak up and voice your ideas, unless you want a target on your back. There is a strong sense of unspoken rule that seniority (or length of time at the Fool) dictates whether you make a good investor.

Management will say that the company turnover rate is low, but the reality is they just don't count many of the folks who left within a year. For an investment analyst, the pay is very low especially compared to the market average. It's a comfortable job with great hours, but other than that, I wouldn't consider this a great investment company.

Advice to Management

Please make performance based on merit and not on seniority. Just because someone has worked at the Fool longer doesn't mean he/she is a better investor!

"I Still Can't Believe This Place Exists"

Current Employee - IT Support in Alexandria, VA
    Current Employee - IT Support in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at Motley Fool full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The employees are treated like adults, the benefits are amazing, and the facilities are awesome. The worse part of my day is traffic, but it is quickly forgotten when I step through the door. Did I mention the people are great!? The Fools who work here are defiantly part of what make this place awesome.

Cons

With such a unique culture it can be pretty overwhelming just how things move. Some things are quite predictable while others seem to remain in a constant state of flux, I'll admit It's not for everyone, those of us still here have gotten used to it.

Advice to Management

Keep at it, I know this place isn't for everyone but for those of us who genuinely love this place. We hope that you continue to make it one of the best places to work.

7. "Good Company"

Former Intern - Investing Intern in Alexandria, VA
    Former Intern - Investing Intern in Alexandria, VA

I worked at Motley Fool as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Great Culture
    Lots of resources available

Cons

Didn't give interns too much work to do.

"If you enjoy a fast-paced environment, I can't imagine a better place to work."

Current Employee - Member Service Representative in Alexandria, VA
    Current Employee - Member Service Representative in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at Motley Fool full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have been here over a year now and have seen a company that stands behind its words. The fast-paced environment is not designed nor should it wear you down. The unlimited paid time off policy has never been an issue when I wanted or needed to take time to slow down (either a day or weeks at a time). All of that aside, I have grown professionally within this year at an exponential rate in comparison to previous work environments. From opportunities made available (but not forced upon me) and my colleagues that happily mentor at the drop of a hat, I cannot imagine building my career anywhere else at this point.

Cons

If you are a stickler for structure, I could imagine some stressful days and situations here. Answers are out there, but make sure you do your part to ask the questions to the right people.

Advice to Management

Keep listening to our members and other stakeholders.

"I love this company!"

Current Employee - Product Manager in Alexandria, VA
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at Motley Fool full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I've never worked at a company that cared about its employees so much and actually sought to live its core values like the Fool. I work with some of the smartest and most passionate people I've ever met. And the environment is awesome -- there are so many clubs, activities, field trips, and exercise classes that it almost feels like college sometimes. Oh and did I mention the insane benefits?

Cons

It's not perfect, but no company is. There are issues, but the management is aware of them -- and actively working to fix them. The things we talk about openly at the Fool (like surveys on employee happiness) that would only come up in hushed corners at other companies and never actually be worked on. I'm sure the company has changed a lot since the "beginning," but I'm also sure there are a lot of things the company is doing better now than it was then that longer-tenured employees don't remember. That's one con of having so many long-tenured employees: people don't remember the harsh outside world.

Advice to Management

Keep being open to feedback and iterating based on it.

"I can't imagine an employer that works harder to get it right."

Current Employee - Fool Wealth Team in Alexandria, VA
    Current Employee - Fool Wealth Team in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at Motley Fool full-time (More than a year)

Pros

As many reviewers have stated, the best thing about The Fool is the people. It is a privilege to get to work with people that genuinely care about their quality of work, the people around them, the brand, and the impact they are having on customers' lives. No place to work is perfect. But there is a genuine care at all levels of the company that we keep working to get it right, and that alone makes it a wonderful place to work.

Cons

The business is ambitious. That is hardly a con, but when ambitious goals meet "can do" people - they push for results, and they push hard. It becomes critical to make sure the brand does not become damaged during that process.

Advice to Management

Keep trying to open the communication lines across the company. The number of folks maintaining anonymity on slido alone means something. Despite our bias towards constant change, having great people hit a rhythm in their execution is a powerful thing.

"I can't imagine going anywhere else"

Current Employee - Director in Alexandria, VA
    Current Employee - Director in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at Motley Fool full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

In my decade-plus with the Fool, I've continually been surrounded by the smartest people I know. And it's not smarts in a silo -- some techs I've worked with have had brilliant business ideas, investment folks have come up with amazing tech solutions, etc. And everyone in the building truly believe in our mission: to help the world invest better.

Cons

Is the Fool perfect? Nope. In our efforts to win (competitive is a core value), people sometimes focus too much on achieving short-term objectives, which I think can be antithetical to the advice we give on buying and holding stocks for the long term. But in general, Fools want to do the right thing, and everyone has a forum to point out when we do something that doesn't make us proud.

Advice to Management

I'd avoid hiring people right out of school. People who have never had a real job before think this is what the rest of the world is like -- limitless vacation, massages in the office, Nerf-gun battles, meaningful work, an ability to move from role to role to find the perfect fit -- and they don't appreciate the genuine uniqueness of what the Fool offers.