Motley Fool Analyst Reviews | Glassdoor

3.3
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Motley Fool CEO Tom Gardner
Tom Gardner

Pros
  • Innovative, collaborative, tech driven company dedicated to their mission of helping the world invest better (in 11 reviews)

• Great work life balance and absolute commitment to customers as well as employees (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Don't try so hard to keep up with the latest trends (in 5 reviews)

• We move fast, and sometimes that means we break things along the way (in 4 reviews)

"Excellent company, moving in the right direction"

Current Employee - Editor/Analyst in Alexandria, VA
    Current Employee - Editor/Analyst in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at Motley Fool full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Excellent benefits (no vacation policy, treadmill desks, tons of free books), fantastic culture, great people. Lots of upward mobility, you really get to determine your future here. No two days are alike, work is very interesting. Overall no real complaints.

Cons

Everyone is firing in every direction so much that folks don't always establish processes as quickly as they should...but honestly, that's not really a huge downside.

Advice to Management

Keep it up.

"Investment Team Lacks Diversity, Team Leads Reluctant to Hear New Ideas"

Current Employee - Investment Analyst in Alexandria, VA
    Current Employee - Investment Analyst in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at Motley Fool full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Compared to traditional finance companies, the Fool is a low key place to work. No need to dress up or wear a tie. Everyone, even the CIO, has a cubby and is seated in pods of four. Great to bounce around ideas and hear what's happening in other parts of the floor. There are usually weekly meetings and assignments are distributed on a timely basis.

Most reviews here mention benefits, like organized trips and concerts, but most people on the investment team tends to be less social.

Cons

I came to the Fool under the impression that it runs like a startup, where new ideas are accepted and everyone is encouraged to participate. In reality, the Fool runs like a big company, no different than your typical Wall Street company. It's very hierarchical and you don't get much say especially if you are new.

To stay afloat, you need to put your head down and do what your manager tells you to do. Be prepared to have managers way younger than you. They may not know what they talking about, investment-wise, but they'll have seniority over you, because they've been at the Fool longer.

The investment team lacks diversity -- there are very few women and employees of color. Many of its new hires tends to be mainstream rejects. In other words, if you don't fit the traditional mold (college + MBA + work experience), the Fool will likely hire you.

Everything at the Fool is about doing it the "Fool-ish" way and God forbid you come in to the company with previous experience, especially Wall Street experience, you'll be shunned and ostracized. The Fool prides itself as being anti-Wall Street, so definitely don't flaunt your past experiences or expertise. No matter your background, when you enter the Fool, you start from ground zero and must work your way up. Unfortunately, it's very hard, because performance isn't based on merit, but on how effective you are at sucking up to the right people.

If you are new at the company, definitely don't speak up and voice your ideas, unless you want a target on your back. There is a strong sense of unspoken rule that seniority (or length of time at the Fool) dictates whether you make a good investor.

Management will say that the company turnover rate is low, but the reality is they just don't count many of the folks who left within a year. For an investment analyst, the pay is very low especially compared to the market average. It's a comfortable job with great hours, but other than that, I wouldn't consider this a great investment company.

Advice to Management

Please make performance based on merit and not on seniority. Just because someone has worked at the Fool longer doesn't mean he/she is a better investor!

3. "it was great"

Current Employee - Financial Editor/Analyst in Alexandria, VA
    Current Employee - Financial Editor/Analyst in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at Motley Fool full-time (More than a year)

Pros

great place to work, smart co-workers, great atmosphere, excellent work life balance

Cons

doesn't pay like typical finance firms, pays more like a journalist job (company is a hybrid of both)

Advice to Management

reduce the promotional activities and focus on core brand. TMF does a great job of serving its community but recently has lowered its standards with gimmicky marketing materials

Oct 24, 2014

Thanks for mentioning the atmosphere, work/life balance and smart co-workers. Our recruiting, people and culture teams give their all to find the brightest and best, and help them thrive in a ... More

5. "Freedom, flexibility, and great benefits!"

Current Employee - Analyst in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at Motley Fool full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

High performers are given a lot of latitude to work on whatever they want, whenever they want -- provided it's moving the needle. And the office is always a lot of fun.

Cons

Some can take advantage of the culture and not carry their weight.

Advice to Management

You guys are doing a great job. Our business and culture are both getting better and better.

Oct 24, 2014

We’re so appreciative of the comments we receive on Glassdoor, especially from long-tenured Fools. Your first comment really gets to the heart of our philosophy: We’ve built our culture to support ... More

"Culture of Excellence and Fun - But Bring Your Own Paddle"

Current Employee - Quantitative Analyst in Alexandria, VA
    Current Employee - Quantitative Analyst in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at Motley Fool full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Strong commitment to a fun and productive work environment. Focus on competitiveness, but not in a "me vs them" kind of way - you are competing with yourself to do as well as you can. Senior management is always trying to find more/better ways at employee introspection and evaluation to - gasp - actually improve the lot of the employee, not generate nasty metrics to hold over anyone's head. Very flexible work schedules when needed, and especially accommodating to workaholics that keep odd days/hours :) Why bring your own paddle? That is a pro and a con, but I'll put it here. It is both very easy to settle in and at most move about sideways, but if you are a 10X'er and willing to put yourself out there and be flexible with what you can/will do, opportunities abound - but it is more in your hands than anyone else's to make something substantial happen.

Cons

Chain of command is dynamic, which makes cultivating and advancing ideas sometimes challenging. Duplicate efforts crop up occasionally because there isn't sufficient communication taking place between different areas that are doing concept development, and the company is growing fast enough that this feels like it is increasing a bit. As for the Paddle - see above since it is both a pro and a con

Advice to Management

Twenty years of experience in honing the Foolish ability to identify great businesses needs to be turned into its next evolution of advising businesses on practices to become great.

Oct 24, 2014

“Bring your own paddle” is a really good way to describe the environment here. The Fool’s People Team truly believes that you are in charge of your own career, and we are here to help make it the ... More

"This is a special place."

I have been working at Motley Fool full-time

Pros

A meaningful purpose, passionate colleagues, strong leadership, excellent benefits, flexible schedules, and the opportuity to work beside and learn from some of the best investors in the world.

Cons

There's always so many fun things going on around FoolHQ that it can sometimes be hard to get work done.

Advice to Management

While Fools are motivated by our purpose, challenging work assignments, development opportunities, and a host of other factors, our actual cash compensation is also important to many of us. Please don't forget that.

Oct 24, 2014

We are so excited to be recognized for all of the reasons you cite in your post! We believe the “pros” you mention are cornerstones of our organization. Compensation is extremely important and it’s a ... More

8. "Great Company to Work For"

Current Employee - Financial Editor/Analyst in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Financial Editor/Analyst in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Motley Fool full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great Culture, people, free food fridge, etc.

Cons

Nothing at all, great employer

Advice to Management

Keep it up!

Oct 24, 2014

Cheers! Very glad to know that Fooldom is treating you well! Thanks so much for your review.

9. "Best internship experience you can ask for"

Former Intern - Analyst in Alexandria, VA
    Former Intern - Analyst in Alexandria, VA

I worked at Motley Fool as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

My internship experience at the Fool was amazing. It involved very rewarding work in an absolutely amazing atmosphere. Even as an intern you are given meaningful work and able to contribute to the company. I feel like I was able to make a lasting impression at the Fool.

Cons

My time at the Fool was too short, which is at the top of my short list of complaints. At times it seemed unorganized, but everything worked out in the end!

Oct 31, 2014

Thanks so much for sharing with us. We want our interns to have the most valuable experiences possible. So glad to know your time with us was productive and meaningful!

10. "Excellent place to learn and grow as an investor"

Current Employee - Research Analyst in Alexandria, VA
    Current Employee - Research Analyst in Alexandria, VA

Pros

You get to work with some of the brightest and most knowledgeable people around in an environment that encourages sharing and openness. It is literally impossible not to learn something new every day, and if you put real effort into it, the amount you can learn and grow is limitless. Dress is casual, the atmosphere is relaxed, and the pursuit of excellence fills the air.

Cons

If you want your own office, or the aspiration of your own office, that's not going to fly here. The open-room feel might make reading or concentration seem difficult, but donning some headphones or grabbing yourself a conference room for some quieter time is never an issue.

Advice to Management

Keep it up.

"Very satisfied with the Fool"

Current Employee - Analyst in Alexandria, VA

Pros

Good people, oustanding benefits (including a top-notch 401(k)), great environment, and there are many opportunities for upward mobility.

Cons

The compensation isn't anything to write home about and, because TMF is still relatively flat and growing rapidly, career paths aren't particularly well-defined.

Advice to Management

Top-down communications could stand to be improved and I think management could use some more time spent on the factory floor. That said, I think our senior management is outstanding and leading us in the right direction. I'm genuinely excited to be along for the ride.