Motley Fool Reviews | Glassdoor

4.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Motley Fool CEO Tom Gardner
Tom Gardner

Pros
  • It has helped re-introduce a strong work/life balance into my family (in 10 reviews)

• The mission at The Motley Fool is to help the world invest -- better and everyone in the company knows it and is completely committed to it (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Don't try so hard to keep up with the latest trends (in 5 reviews)

• There's no clear career path and managers aren't required to have set metrics for subordinates (in 7 reviews)

1. "Great Company"

I worked at Motley Fool full-time

Pros

The people are awesome, flexible schedules, autonomy and ability to gain experience by moving to different roles. Good maternity leave.

Cons

You have to be a flexible worker here. Roles and jobs change a lot and you have to be comfortable doing one thing one year and something different the next year with a different manager.

Advice to Management

Keep pushing the mission. Expanding the love for investing at all levels of the company. Be more open and transparent.

"I love the fool!"

Pros

progressive, young atmosphere. work-life balance oriented

Cons

can't think of any. I had a great time at the fool

"was great now depressing"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at Motley Fool full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Generally fun atmosphere and good benefits. Not a lot of oversight which is good if you are self motivated.

Cons

The foundation of the business is really starting to suffer now after years of focusing on short term thinking/results. Times seem desperate now and they are... It's time to stop chasing dreams of being a big company (for the sake of being big) and concentrate on being a great company with a focused mission.

Advice to Management

Don't drag the business down by pursuing vanity projects. Bring focus and resources back to the core business.

"Web Developer"

Pros

What was originally supposed to be a 90-day contact lasted about 7 Months. I was welcomed with open arms from the first day on, and never treated as a temporary employee. Management was great, very organized, open minded.

Cons

Wish I could of stayed longer, but plan on keeping in touch with many of the individuals I met throughout my contract.

6. "Freelancer"

Pros

Very collegial staff, very competitive pay, flexibility.

Cons

One editor was very passive-aggressive but he was an anomaly. I chose to work fewer hours once he became my supervisor.

"A great company, but with some serious issues"

Pros

The people at The Motley Fool are among the best I have ever known, in any context. They are almost uniformly intelligent, capable, and generous with their time and knowledge. We Fools, as we are proud to call ourselves, live and breath our culture--you may call it drinking the Kool-Aid--but I would simply respond that, when something is as good as our culture, you can't help but wish that everyone could experience it.

Cons

During my entire time at the company, the Fool has been very consistent in hiring the intelligent, capable people that make it such a wonderful place to work. However, in a company that is staying relatively the same size, there are simply not enough challenging, career-advancing opportunities for all those intelligent, capable people. That said, the company discourages turnover, exacerbating a problem it created in the first place. There are other minor issues potential applications should be aware of, which I am sure are addressed in other reviews. That said, I believe most fall under the "No Place is Perfect for Everyone" doctrine.

Advice to Management

Management needs to find a way to either challenge and retain talent at all levels, or else prepare itself for potentially widespread departures. People looking to advance their careers--and their lives--will only subsist for so long on great people and a great culture. Pay more, offer more challenges, and allow real advancement for more than a select few.

"Great place, needs fine tuning"

I have been working at Motley Fool full-time

Pros

Great people work here. They're smart, committed, honest, caring and full of energy. The company tries very hard to foster a dynamic workplace culture to take advantage of the team.

Cons

A lot of decisions seem to be made on the fly by upper managers who are operating by the gut. That not only flies in the face of what everyone else is supposed to be doing (using data to inform decisions), but it leads to a lot of wasted effort on false starts. It also leads to confusion, resentment, or simple fatigue with chasing the shiny new object.

Advice to Management

Measure thrice, cut once. You have many people who aren't operating at full capacity because they're not challenged and its considered career limiting to make this known.

"Work hard, play hard"

I worked at Motley Fool full-time

Pros

Great atmosphere and amazing benefits. Employees are super talented and there is an inherent team spirit. Paid healthcare and yummy snacks sweeten the deal too.

Cons

Can be a little disorganized as the company grows in spurts. Some teams have a tough time adjusting. There could be more women in management.

"Great company culture"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mantua, NJ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mantua, NJ

I worked at Motley Fool (Less than a year)

Pros

Best company culture I've seen.

Cons

Very competitive to get a job here!

"Investment Team Lacks Diversity, Team Leads Reluctant to Hear New Ideas"

Current Employee - Investment Analyst in Alexandria, VA
    Current Employee - Investment Analyst in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at Motley Fool full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Compared to traditional finance companies, the Fool is a low key place to work. No need to dress up or wear a tie. Everyone, even the CIO, has a cubby and is seated in pods of four. Great to bounce around ideas and hear what's happening in other parts of the floor. There are usually weekly meetings and assignments are distributed on a timely basis.

Most reviews here mention benefits, like organized trips and concerts, but most people on the investment team tends to be less social.

Cons

I came to the Fool under the impression that it runs like a startup, where new ideas are accepted and everyone is encouraged to participate. In reality, the Fool runs like a big company, no different than your typical Wall Street company. It's very hierarchical and you don't get much say especially if you are new.

To stay afloat, you need to put your head down and do what your manager tells you to do. Be prepared to have managers way younger than you. They may not know what they talking about, investment-wise, but they'll have seniority over you, because they've been at the Fool longer.

The investment team lacks diversity -- there are very few women and employees of color. Many of its new hires tends to be mainstream rejects. In other words, if you don't fit the traditional mold (college + MBA + work experience), the Fool will likely hire you.

Everything at the Fool is about doing it the "Fool-ish" way and God forbid you come in to the company with previous experience, especially Wall Street experience, you'll be shunned and ostracized. The Fool prides itself as being anti-Wall Street, so definitely don't flaunt your past experiences or expertise. No matter your background, when you enter the Fool, you start from ground zero and must work your way up. Unfortunately, it's very hard, because performance isn't based on merit, but on how effective you are at sucking up to the right people.

If you are new at the company, definitely don't speak up and voice your ideas, unless you want a target on your back. There is a strong sense of unspoken rule that seniority (or length of time at the Fool) dictates whether you make a good investor.

Management will say that the company turnover rate is low, but the reality is they just don't count many of the folks who left within a year. For an investment analyst, the pay is very low especially compared to the market average. It's a comfortable job with great hours, but other than that, I wouldn't consider this a great investment company.

Advice to Management

Please make performance based on merit and not on seniority. Just because someone has worked at the Fool longer doesn't mean he/she is a better investor!