Motley Fool Reviews | Glassdoor

4.2
Motley Fool CEO Tom Gardner
Tom Gardner

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "There is a great work/life balance" (in 13 reviews)

• "Innovative, collaborative, tech driven company dedicated to their mission of helping the world invest better" (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • "Fools love it here so much that there's very little turnover, meaning there's not obvious upward mobility" (in 8 reviews)

• "Can become a slog after a while, especially when you have to SEO-optimize your articles" (in 6 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Loved my time at The Motley Fool"

Pros

Several years after I left I still regard my time at The Fool fondly. Some of the smartest, kindest, and most fun people I have ever known worked there. I learned so much about business, company culture and leadership . I use those skills everyday, even years later.

Cons

Not everyone belongs there forever. Sometimes as a natural part of career progression it’s time to move on. There can be frustration when people don’t see their next step within the company. Instead of acknowledging that and moving on there are hurt feelings.

Advice to Management

You’ve all been together a really long time. Be careful that you seek and respect external perspectives. I know you are constant learners and like to promote from within - keep that up, but also embrace diversity of leadership styles from outside.

Oct 9, 2017

It's great to hear that you've benefitted from having worked at The Motley Fool. Employee happiness remains a priority, and our people & development teams work hard to coach individual employees... More

2. "I LOVE THIS PLACE"

Current Employee - UI Designer in Alexandria, VA
    Current Employee - UI Designer in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at Motley Fool full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There is a great work/life balance. The co-workers are smart and nice and professional.

Cons

There are no cons. I am really glad I work here.

Jun 13, 2018

Thanks for a great review! We’re glad to hear you’re satisfied with the work/life balance, plus we think our fellow Fools are pretty awesome, too. Cheers to your time at The Fool only getting better!

3. "great place to work there"

Pros

loved my time there - awesome

Cons

get a job there - the best

"Great company to work for"

Current Employee - Developer
    Current Employee - Developer

I have been working at Motley Fool full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This company is an out of the box thinker where people can learn new things, work in new roles, and really excel.

Cons

If you're not a starter/doer and neither is your manager, you might find it difficult to find enough to keep busy.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. Keep chasing down wild possibilities and keep thinking outside of the box.

May 18, 2018

Thanks for your review! Yep, we definitely look for Fools who are ready and willing to seek out and drive opportunities for growth and innovation. We also have lots of coaching resources for Fools to... More

"Great place to work, really cares about employees"

I have been working at Motley Fool full-time

Pros

This place has a lot of perks and really cares about employees. We have a team that reaches out to do a lot of random fun things. Unlimited vacation and Fools errand. Every month, someone gets a free 2 week vacation. Member services team sincerely cares about subscribers and a phone call can last hours.

Cons

I’ve noticed some things from several years of a pretty otherwise satisfied experience. People who are here for the perks really outnumber the ones who want to do good work. If you actually do want to get to the next level in your career, it’s hard to find support here. Some critical departments don’t seem to have senior leadership, and it shows through. It seems like many of the people who have been here awhile don’t seem to keep up with what’s going on outside the company.

Advice to Management

Keep asking for feedback, but spend more time on the things that aren’t going well than repeating the things that are going well. We know this is a great company, but sometimes what’s broken can’t be fixed by adding more perks.

May 18, 2018

Thanks for taking time to share your experiences with our culture and Member Services team – we love those Fools, too!

The Motley Fool’s Core Culture team is dedicated to helping employees... More

"Not what they used to be"

Pros

Solid pay and a fun energized atmosphere. Friendly co-workers.

Cons

Bombastic, sensationalized titles and fake expertise. It is amazing how many stocks are "incredible buys" "ridiculously cheap", "no-brainers", etc. but at the disclosure part, the author very seldom actually owns the stock. Also amazing how many writers have CAP scores below 50, insinuating most of their readers have better investing ideas than the authors.

Advice to Management

Focus more on investing and less on creative writing.

Apr 19, 2018

Thank you for your feedback – constructive criticism makes us all better. We believe in transparency, which is why writers disclose their holdings and play CAPS to show which stocks they’re most... More

"Send in the Grown-Ups!!"

Current Employee - Marketing in Alexandria, VA
    Current Employee - Marketing in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at Motley Fool full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Nice people, laid-back culture, free snacks, can dress any way you want.

Cons

Not a good place if you are hoping for long-term rewards. The company's stock price (set by an outside third party) has barely budged even as the market has boomed. The CEO is a nice guy but lacks the discipline to run a growing company.

Advice to Management

If you want to tell others how to grow their businesses - and stock price - figure out how to do it for your own company. Free snacks are nice, but people are depending on the company's financial success.

Feb 16, 2018

Thanks for your feedback! We're so sorry to hear you don't feel completely fulfilled by your Foolish experience.

Because the Fool is privately held, we don't publicly comment on our internal... More

"Great Entry Level Company"

I worked at Motley Fool full-time

Pros

The benefits are actually great.

Cons

Your manager will dictate your experience. Several are not experienced as managers and are promoted with no managerial experience. This company is a stepping stone to better paying jobs.

Advice to Management

Train your managers better.

Nov 27, 2017

Thanks for taking a moment to write this review. We think our benefits are pretty great, too! Internal surveys shed light on areas where we can improve, and leadership training is among our top... More

"We Care For One Another"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at Motley Fool full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Above all else this is a place that cares for and about each other and customers.
    Everyone shares the same goals and supports one another toward achievement. When there is disagreement it comes from the right place and with the right outcome in mind. The work is forever challenging and available.

Cons

There are so many great benefits and a lot of autonomy to set your own path. Some people can lose their way and forget how good they have it. Even the best culture over time can be taken for granted.

"Solid place to work but be aware of what you're getting into"

I have been working at Motley Fool full-time

Pros

The Motley Fool is very trusting of its employees. The top perk is the flexible work schedule and unlimited vacation. The Fool encourages you to use these and there's no shaming of people who take vacation (given that you're not abusing the unlimited part). I think the average employee probably takes somewhere between three to five weeks of guilt-free vacation a year. And if you need to work from home for whatever reason, it's very easy to do and not feel like you're letting people down. This is particularly great for picking up the kids, having home repairs done, going to the doctor, etc.

The people at the Fool are genuinely nice. I've worked with and in different groups at the Fool, and this is universally true. Employees are friendly and deeply caring about the company and their co-workers. I've worked at several other places in my career and this is not something you find everywhere.

There are more pros about working at the Motley Fool (pizza day, cake day, intramural sports, a yearly company retreat, the occasional mariachi band marching through the office), but these are really the top two great things.

Cons

For as many wonderful things the Fool has going for it, there are just as many frustrating aspects. For starters, the company continues to beat its chest regarding compensation, benefits, and culture. Some of these things are worth bragging about, but compensation is not one. The company claims to benchmark comp and will pay at least at the median, but this just isn't true for the average employee. I've found salaries to be consistently under market, even when you incorporate benefits.

Secondly, the Fool claims to be a meritocracy, but being close with the Gardners is far more important than skill or acumen. There is also a strong "yes man" bias. Raising differing points of view from what management, especially the Gardners, want to hear will get you no where, even if it's the truth. I've seen many careers stagnate or even regress once someone broke from the party line. Don't be mistaken, this company is very much run and controlled by Tom and David.

The Fool has a lot of young workers. I'm not referring to those kids right out of college, but rather people under 50. That makes promotions and advancements very hard to come by. You see people moving laterally in the company rather than upward. That's okay, but don't expect to have a career schedule here. It can also make getting raises difficult because title and role changes don't come very often. Even more aggravating is the Fool's backward policy of not giving a raise when you do finally receive a promotion! For a company that shouts from the mountain tops that it values its employees, sometimes it really feels like you're fighting tooth and nail for everything that has a dollar sign attached to it.

Lastly, be prepared for changes on company strategy. It happens all the time. Although we preach taking the long-term view, sometimes it feels like we're fickle in our own company's goals. I've seen ideas for the business bubble up, ultimately die, only to reappear again a year down the road. Only this time it's somehow different. It can feel like we don't give a strategy enough time to actually take hold and produce results before we're worried about the next issue and are changing course. I think some more steady-handed leadership could be good for the business.

Advice to Management

Keep on working to diversify the business and make it more solid for the future, even if that comes at the cost of lesser financial results in the short-term. Also, take a hard look at salaries and ask if we're really where we want to be on this matter. There are a lot of good things going for the Fool, let's keep on working to make this a business that is relevant 100 years down the road, not just relevant next year.