Motley Fool Reviews | Glassdoor

3.9
Motley Fool CEO Tom Gardner
Tom Gardner

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great work life balance and absolute commitment to customers as well as employees (in 13 reviews)

• Innovative, collaborative, tech driven company dedicated to their mission of helping the world invest better (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • If you're looking for "career advancement" in the traditional sense, this probably isn't the company for you (in 3 reviews)

• Fools love it here so much that there's very little turnover, meaning there's not obvious upward mobility (in 8 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Loved my time at The Motley Fool"

Pros

Several years after I left I still regard my time at The Fool fondly. Some of the smartest, kindest, and most fun people I have ever known worked there. I learned so much about business, company culture and leadership . I use those skills everyday, even years later.

Cons

Not everyone belongs there forever. Sometimes as a natural part of career progression it’s time to move on. There can be frustration when people don’t see their next step within the company. Instead of acknowledging that and moving on there are hurt feelings.

Advice to Management

You’ve all been together a really long time. Be careful that you seek and respect external perspectives. I know you are constant learners and like to promote from within - keep that up, but also embrace diversity of leadership styles from outside.

Oct 9, 2017

It's great to hear that you've benefitted from having worked at The Motley Fool. Employee happiness remains a priority, and our people & development teams work hard to coach individual employees... More

"Like a vacation... for your career"

I have been working at Motley Fool full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Nice co-workers, lots of vacation, located near public transportation, free snacks, great work-life balance.

Cons

There's lots of big talk about changing the world, but the company isn't growing and hasn't really grown for years. This means there's very little opportunity for career advancement. It also means there are no real long-term rewards, since the stock barely moves.

Advice to Management

If we're going to talk about big goals and changing the world, we need to start by changing the company.

Feb 16, 2018

Thanks for your feedback! We're so sorry to hear you don't feel completely fulfilled by your Foolish experience.

Because the Fool is privately held, we don't publicly comment on our internal... More

"Do as I say, not as I do"

I have been working at Motley Fool full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Lots of snacks, generous vacation policy

Cons

It's a company that wants to tell other companies how to grow value. But it can't grow its own value. The company is just drifting and its private stock price has trailed the market bigly! Employees aren't kids out of college anymore - we need to pay for our own kids' college.

Advice to Management

Bring in professional management - or sell.

Feb 16, 2018

"Great Entry Level Company"

I worked at Motley Fool full-time

Pros

The benefits are actually great.

Cons

Your manager will dictate your experience. Several are not experienced as managers and are promoted with no managerial experience. This company is a stepping stone to better paying jobs.

Advice to Management

Train your managers better.

Nov 27, 2017

Thanks for taking a moment to write this review. We think our benefits are pretty great, too! Internal surveys shed light on areas where we can improve, and leadership training is among our top... More

"Send in the Grown-Ups!!"

Current Employee - Marketing in Alexandria, VA
    Current Employee - Marketing in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at Motley Fool full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Nice people, laid-back culture, free snacks, can dress any way you want.

Cons

Not a good place if you are hoping for long-term rewards. The company's stock price (set by an outside third party) has barely budged even as the market has boomed. The CEO is a nice guy but lacks the discipline to run a growing company.

Advice to Management

If you want to tell others how to grow their businesses - and stock price - figure out how to do it for your own company. Free snacks are nice, but people are depending on the company's financial success.

Feb 16, 2018

"We Care For One Another"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at Motley Fool full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Above all else this is a place that cares for and about each other and customers.
    Everyone shares the same goals and supports one another toward achievement. When there is disagreement it comes from the right place and with the right outcome in mind. The work is forever challenging and available.

Cons

There are so many great benefits and a lot of autonomy to set your own path. Some people can lose their way and forget how good they have it. Even the best culture over time can be taken for granted.

"Solid place to work but be aware of what you're getting into"

I have been working at Motley Fool full-time

Pros

The Motley Fool is very trusting of its employees. The top perk is the flexible work schedule and unlimited vacation. The Fool encourages you to use these and there's no shaming of people who take vacation (given that you're not abusing the unlimited part). I think the average employee probably takes somewhere between three to five weeks of guilt-free vacation a year. And if you need to work from home for whatever reason, it's very easy to do and not feel like you're letting people down. This is particularly great for picking up the kids, having home repairs done, going to the doctor, etc.

The people at the Fool are genuinely nice. I've worked with and in different groups at the Fool, and this is universally true. Employees are friendly and deeply caring about the company and their co-workers. I've worked at several other places in my career and this is not something you find everywhere.

There are more pros about working at the Motley Fool (pizza day, cake day, intramural sports, a yearly company retreat, the occasional mariachi band marching through the office), but these are really the top two great things.

Cons

For as many wonderful things the Fool has going for it, there are just as many frustrating aspects. For starters, the company continues to beat its chest regarding compensation, benefits, and culture. Some of these things are worth bragging about, but compensation is not one. The company claims to benchmark comp and will pay at least at the median, but this just isn't true for the average employee. I've found salaries to be consistently under market, even when you incorporate benefits.

Secondly, the Fool claims to be a meritocracy, but being close with the Gardners is far more important than skill or acumen. There is also a strong "yes man" bias. Raising differing points of view from what management, especially the Gardners, want to hear will get you no where, even if it's the truth. I've seen many careers stagnate or even regress once someone broke from the party line. Don't be mistaken, this company is very much run and controlled by Tom and David.

The Fool has a lot of young workers. I'm not referring to those kids right out of college, but rather people under 50. That makes promotions and advancements very hard to come by. You see people moving laterally in the company rather than upward. That's okay, but don't expect to have a career schedule here. It can also make getting raises difficult because title and role changes don't come very often. Even more aggravating is the Fool's backward policy of not giving a raise when you do finally receive a promotion! For a company that shouts from the mountain tops that it values its employees, sometimes it really feels like you're fighting tooth and nail for everything that has a dollar sign attached to it.

Lastly, be prepared for changes on company strategy. It happens all the time. Although we preach taking the long-term view, sometimes it feels like we're fickle in our own company's goals. I've seen ideas for the business bubble up, ultimately die, only to reappear again a year down the road. Only this time it's somehow different. It can feel like we don't give a strategy enough time to actually take hold and produce results before we're worried about the next issue and are changing course. I think some more steady-handed leadership could be good for the business.

Advice to Management

Keep on working to diversify the business and make it more solid for the future, even if that comes at the cost of lesser financial results in the short-term. Also, take a hard look at salaries and ask if we're really where we want to be on this matter. There are a lot of good things going for the Fool, let's keep on working to make this a business that is relevant 100 years down the road, not just relevant next year.

"Software Engineer"

Former Employee - Software Engineer
    Former Employee - Software Engineer

I worked at Motley Fool full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible, great people, lots of mentorship and opportunities to grow, especially if you're a new dev. Encouragement to pursue new tools and technologies. Plenty of pairing opportunities if you're interested.

Cons

Leadership doesn't have great technical understanding, can lead to tension between the business objectives and technical objectives. Constantly striving to be innovative, but a few steps behind when it comes to technical infrastructure.

"Ticker Guide"

Pros

Ability to work from home. Great access to a community of incredibly knowledgeable investors.

Cons

No downsides to complain about.

"A Truly Great Place to Work"

I have been working at Motley Fool full-time

Pros

The people make this company. Fools are collaborative, fun, creative, caring, and dedicated to our mission of helping the world invest better. Additionally, the work flexibility that's offered is unmatched and rooted in trust. Our company is mature and established, but still operates as a start up at times.

Cons

Fools love it here so much that there's very little turnover, meaning there's not obvious upward mobility. However, we're growing and I can see many opportunities opening up in the future.