Motley Fool Reviews | Glassdoor

4.2
Motley Fool CEO Tom Gardner
Tom Gardner

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Innovative, collaborative, tech driven company dedicated to their mission of helping the world invest better (in 11 reviews)

• Great work life balance and absolute commitment to customers as well as employees (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Fools love it here so much that there's very little turnover, meaning there's not obvious upward mobility (in 8 reviews)

• Can become a slog after a while, especially when you have to SEO-optimize your articles (in 6 reviews)

1. "I attended work as a virtual performer. I use to do E-commercing job."

Current Employee - Human Resource Manager
    Current Employee - Human Resource Manager

I have been working at Motley Fool full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A work such as this, a virtual assistance. It exclude me from hassles of traffic and travelling.

Cons

I have limited exposures due to the kind of work element I am involved with.

"Solid place to work but be aware of what you're getting into"

I have been working at Motley Fool full-time

Pros

The Motley Fool is very trusting of its employees. The top perk is the flexible work schedule and unlimited vacation. The Fool encourages you to use these and there's no shaming of people who take vacation (given that you're not abusing the unlimited part). I think the average employee probably takes somewhere between three to five weeks of guilt-free vacation a year. And if you need to work from home for whatever reason, it's very easy to do and not feel like you're letting people down. This is particularly great for picking up the kids, having home repairs done, going to the doctor, etc.

The people at the Fool are genuinely nice. I've worked with and in different groups at the Fool, and this is universally true. Employees are friendly and deeply caring about the company and their co-workers. I've worked at several other places in my career and this is not something you find everywhere.

There are more pros about working at the Motley Fool (pizza day, cake day, intramural sports, a yearly company retreat, the occasional mariachi band marching through the office), but these are really the top two great things.

Cons

For as many wonderful things the Fool has going for it, there are just as many frustrating aspects. For starters, the company continues to beat its chest regarding compensation, benefits, and culture. Some of these things are worth bragging about, but compensation is not one. The company claims to benchmark comp and will pay at least at the median, but this just isn't true for the average employee. I've found salaries to be consistently under market, even when you incorporate benefits.

Secondly, the Fool claims to be a meritocracy, but being close with the Gardners is far more important than skill or acumen. There is also a strong "yes man" bias. Raising differing points of view from what management, especially the Gardners, want to hear will get you no where, even if it's the truth. I've seen many careers stagnate or even regress once someone broke from the party line. Don't be mistaken, this company is very much run and controlled by Tom and David.

The Fool has a lot of young workers. I'm not referring to those kids right out of college, but rather people under 50. That makes promotions and advancements very hard to come by. You see people moving laterally in the company rather than upward. That's okay, but don't expect to have a career schedule here. It can also make getting raises difficult because title and role changes don't come very often. Even more aggravating is the Fool's backward policy of not giving a raise when you do finally receive a promotion! For a company that shouts from the mountain tops that it values its employees, sometimes it really feels like you're fighting tooth and nail for everything that has a dollar sign attached to it.

Lastly, be prepared for changes on company strategy. It happens all the time. Although we preach taking the long-term view, sometimes it feels like we're fickle in our own company's goals. I've seen ideas for the business bubble up, ultimately die, only to reappear again a year down the road. Only this time it's somehow different. It can feel like we don't give a strategy enough time to actually take hold and produce results before we're worried about the next issue and are changing course. I think some more steady-handed leadership could be good for the business.

Advice to Management

Keep on working to diversify the business and make it more solid for the future, even if that comes at the cost of lesser financial results in the short-term. Also, take a hard look at salaries and ask if we're really where we want to be on this matter. There are a lot of good things going for the Fool, let's keep on working to make this a business that is relevant 100 years down the road, not just relevant next year.

"Ticker Guide"

Pros

Ability to work from home. Great access to a community of incredibly knowledgeable investors.

Cons

No downsides to complain about.

"Software Engineer"

Former Employee - Software Engineer
    Former Employee - Software Engineer

I worked at Motley Fool full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible, great people, lots of mentorship and opportunities to grow, especially if you're a new dev. Encouragement to pursue new tools and technologies. Plenty of pairing opportunities if you're interested.

Cons

Leadership doesn't have great technical understanding, can lead to tension between the business objectives and technical objectives. Constantly striving to be innovative, but a few steps behind when it comes to technical infrastructure.

"A Truly Great Place to Work"

I have been working at Motley Fool full-time

Pros

The people make this company. Fools are collaborative, fun, creative, caring, and dedicated to our mission of helping the world invest better. Additionally, the work flexibility that's offered is unmatched and rooted in trust. Our company is mature and established, but still operates as a start up at times.

Cons

Fools love it here so much that there's very little turnover, meaning there's not obvious upward mobility. However, we're growing and I can see many opportunities opening up in the future.

"Senior Software Developer"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at Motley Fool full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Groundbreaking culture and fantastic people. Great work life balance and absolute commitment to customers as well as employees. Very strong commitment to creating a exemplary and diverse workplace

Cons

Despite a fantastic vision the company has struggled to translate that vision into concrete results.

"Great Company"

I worked at Motley Fool full-time

Pros

The people are awesome, flexible schedules, autonomy and ability to gain experience by moving to different roles. Good maternity leave.

Cons

You have to be a flexible worker here. Roles and jobs change a lot and you have to be comfortable doing one thing one year and something different the next year with a different manager.

Advice to Management

Keep pushing the mission. Expanding the love for investing at all levels of the company. Be more open and transparent.

"was great now depressing"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at Motley Fool full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Generally fun atmosphere and good benefits. Not a lot of oversight which is good if you are self motivated.

Cons

The foundation of the business is really starting to suffer now after years of focusing on short term thinking/results. Times seem desperate now and they are... It's time to stop chasing dreams of being a big company (for the sake of being big) and concentrate on being a great company with a focused mission.

Advice to Management

Don't drag the business down by pursuing vanity projects. Bring focus and resources back to the core business.

"I love the fool!"

Pros

progressive, young atmosphere. work-life balance oriented

Cons

can't think of any. I had a great time at the fool

"Web Developer"

Pros

What was originally supposed to be a 90-day contact lasted about 7 Months. I was welcomed with open arms from the first day on, and never treated as a temporary employee. Management was great, very organized, open minded.

Cons

Wish I could of stayed longer, but plan on keeping in touch with many of the individuals I met throughout my contract.