Motley Fool Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Motley Fool CEO Tom Gardner
Tom Gardner

Pros
  • It has helped re-introduce a strong work/life balance into my family (in 10 reviews)

• The mission at The Motley Fool is to help the world invest -- better and everyone in the company knows it and is completely committed to it (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Don't try so hard to keep up with the latest trends (in 5 reviews)

• There's no clear career path and managers aren't required to have set metrics for subordinates (in 7 reviews)

"Work here if you are outgoing, clique-y and foolish"

I have been working at Motley Fool full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people are nice. Close knit group. People know a lot about each other's business-- could be a good thing (teammates stepping in during family emergencies) or a bad thing (nosy people wanting to find out gossip). Work / life balance not bad.

Cons

Much mob mentality, clique-y, you are either in or out, better hope you are in the in-group, or you will be on your way out. Not much personal space, everyone in each other's business. There is pressure to do and say certain things in order to appease the top people. Many colleagues have border-line ADD, hard to focus, distracting in the office. Performance subjective, depending on who happens to be rating you. No clear path of advancement and salary increases never discussed. Be wary of asking for too much as it can be seen as rocking the boat.

Advice to Management

You say you care about diversity. The reality is you want everyone to conform to the "Foolish" ways. Just because someone doesn't have an outgoing personality, that doesn't make him a bad worker.

"Was once great, now only great if you're part of the "in-crowd""

Current Employee - Employee in Alexandria, VA
    Current Employee - Employee in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at Motley Fool full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

+ Flexible work schedule/unlimited vacation policy*
    (*If you have a manager that understands the Fool's own core values and the reasons people choose to work at the Fool, otherwise your flexible work schedule winds up being not so flexible.)

+ Employer matching 401k, good health benefits

+ Nice people

+ TMF's game room used to be utilized by it's employees rather than just a nostalgic relic from a time that has long past. The game room now mainly serves as a go-to spot for PR photos that are to be included in newspapers or really any trendy DC magazine that outlines "Great Company Benefits/Perks"

+ The walls are colourful (Whoa, just like Google!), and everyone has $650 Herman Miller chairs, ironically though they aren't much more comfortable than a traditional $50 chair. After all, you know what they say "A Fool™ and their money soon part"

+ We have an entire unused 2nd floor (another boondoggle) that can be used for drinking parties or tag

Cons

Those who can "see" what has happened at The Motley Fool over the past couple years are NOT pleased, but we are not alone and we are also not a small minority.

Employees are generally good at putting on their "Happy Face" though. As previous reviews have stated, if you don't assimilate than you will have someone (typically a manager, or their manager) talking to you about your behaviour and lack of perceived "Foolishness" (cult-speak for fitting in and not "rocking the boat")

Many veteran ex-Fools painfully saw the rapid decline from the fun, collaborative, organic and free-flowing workplace, where it was understood that as long as you got your work done - you were free to be, now transformed into a place where only the chosen ones participate in that experience. Those days of equality are gone except for Chosen Ones: the Yes-Men, the Fantasy/Sports Enthusiasts and the in-crowd PartyCrew® all seem to have free rein to do whatever they please while others are held to an unclear litany of constantly morphing standards.

Not to be misunderstood, EVERYONE is meticulously graded on multiple levels, scoring rubrics, metrics and tests. You will be analyzed and charted by a group of (?) not really sure...peers, superiors, managers? However, in the end it is all fairly irrelevant considering like other reviews on here have explicitly stated, it seems to be a select few people gathered in a room agreeing on who they like or dislike.

Walking into the Fool anymore feels like one signed up for a clinical trial where they'll be monitored and charted, rather than the highly touted transparent workplace that TMF was once known for. The only thing missing is wires and monitors hooked up to employees reading their heart rates, blood pressure and stress levels. The Motley Fool is using an overreaching system in order to place it's employees into groups. Every metric seems to have been taken care of and is scored in a rigid, cold and non-transparent system that attempts to place employees into categories instead of looking at their actual work output, and to be honest, it feels more like segregation.

Enough of this, let us work - judge us on our work and not our networking/beer-drinking abilities. It is tiring and demotivating.

Many long-time and valuable veteran Fools have already left the company recently, and now we can all see why. I guess they too saw the writing on the wall.

At The Motley Fool, it is perceived that there is a select group in the company that can do no wrong: take 2 hour alcohol lunches, watch sports, Netflix and play video games with no supervision, all while others are working around-the-clock worried about losing their jobs without even participating in any of these activities.

It is a vast understatement to say that this has created a resentment from many employees toward the "untouchables" who seem to do as they please.

How are some people failing to meet goals by astoundingly embarrassing percentage points (Think: actual final numbers = less than 1/3 of projected numbers) and being rewarded, while others who do not participate in the "bread and circus" activities are constantly having the bar raised for them causing burnout? Either make it fair for all or get rid of the "perks" and increase the pay, half of us don't even get to use the perks.

Advice to Management

Bring back the spark of what made The Motley Fool what it was. Quit over managing everyone and let them work organically, perhaps we just simply got too big too fast.

"Time for a wake up call."

Pros

The foundation of the company has good intensions and its top leader is inspiring and has a great vision. Although sometimes misdirected.

Cons

It is so sad to see The Fool blindly moving into the future with zero idea of how its employees are really feeling. Many of the negative reviews are very true and the positive ones are often written by the People Team who take turns writing reviews and encourage its team members to write whenever possible. The leadership is hidden from the true reality of the company by the lies and misdirects of a small group of people. Again mainly on the People Team.

Energy at times is extremely high, collaborative, and truly a great place to work. Those “times” are often when the company knows a survey will be going out or during times of potential mutiny. Not sustainable.

Other times days are filled with management plotting which employees they like the best, which ones will stick around in the tough times, and who doesn’t rock the boat. Rocking the boat can be anything from suggesting an idea that goes against what a “top performer” is planning. Even if it is in the very best intention. Assuming a leadership role on a team when the team leader is too busy playing video games to lead the team. Being so overworked that you decline to play said video game. (working hard and with your head down is considered “not-Foolish” and is graded negatively by leadership).

I hope the Fool has a awakening and realizes what is happening right in front of them.

Advice to Management

Take a moment to slow down and really analyze what is happening within the walls of the company. People are not happy with the current environment and things need to change. It has been said for months now. Read the reviews and realize there is truth behind the words. We aren't all disgruntled employees - we just want things to get better.

"Glassdoor rating is misleading"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at Motley Fool full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

You will love working here for about a year… maybe longer if you drink the koolaid. Lots of perks like commuting subsidy, free office spinning/yoga/kettlebell classes, tons of booze all the time (sorry AAers), flex working depending on what dept. you are in, free books, tickets to Nats games, free financial classes. Still a hand full of smart/fun/kind people at the co. Try to hang w/them and keep your head down and don’t rock the boat and you will be ok.

Cons

Hard to know where to start…. a lot of lip service paid to being a self motiveated self starter, but that is because managers here lack of any real management training/experience. Mostly everyone spends a lot of time trying to CYA and put on a happy face so they dont become a target.
    As other reviews state, you have to be nimble… translation: Be able to follow schizo biz decisions and people running around trying to deliver on “whatever the CEO is hot on right now.”
    Popularity contests, self promotion, being a dude (like “dude” who can hang with the bros) are how you get ahead. If you are good at your job better pray that your manager is one of the “in” crowd and is actually asked for their opinion about you. Otherwise it is all based on whatever general impression about 5 people at the company have on you when they sit down to rate everyone at the company. (Ignore the hype about all the new ‘tools” they are building/trying to sell to other co.s to unleash talent. Even managers say that its more harmful than helpful.)
    The creepy cultish “people team” really does take note of who attends company events and participates in things like corhnole and ping pong tournaments. Seriously. Besides being kindergarten cops there other job is to keep top management from knowing how low morale really is.

Advice to Management

Your Glassdoor rating is misleading. Yes people like you but that is not what it takes to be a great CEO. That takes focus, discipline and a longer term view of the direction of the business and the company reputation/mission in the world.

"This ship is sinking -- don't be one more rat"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at Motley Fool as a contractor

Pros

The company started out with a good and important mission.

Cons

What a clear example of drinking one's own Kool-aid. This company was once a beacon in the quagmire. Problem is, they became so convinced of their own dynamism and rectitude that they now simply assume that every stray thought that emerges from their hive-mind counts as a lightning-bolt of innovation. In reality, the investment world is leaving them behind, and they won't see it until it's too late. They've become the victims of group-think, only respecting the ideas of those who reinforce what they already believed. Thus, TMF is now an organization dominated by young (super young!), inexperienced, privileged, white males, wondering why it struggles to attract a more diverse workforce. Well, it's because the work atmosphere is actually quite hostile to those who aren't in the frat! Meanwhile, TMF has become obsessed with numbers and marketing, serving up ever sillier and more absurd clickbait at the tremendous cost of quality and value. The garbage they now spew out all over the Interwebs is so full of drivel as to be utterly useless. Indeed, one of their primary content distributors, Yahoo! Finance, thought so too, and gave them the boot. But it's no surprise when they pay next to nothing for the articles they publish. Now that I write for a respectable outlet with high quality standards, I've discovered what it's like to be compensated properly for the effort it takes to say something true, relevant, and interesting. I'll never look back. It's also worth noting that TMF supports its high ratings for full-time positions on the backs of its second-class, contractor drones. They treat the latter like expendable garbage, driving down costs so they can have booze and parties for the favored yes-men who populate their salaried staff. The few good people who have survived in recent years are slowly and unceremoniously being marginalized. I don't see this company surviving the next five years without dramatic, soul-searching change. The past decade of self-adulatory navel-gazing will bury them if it continues.

Advice to Management

Get someone to actually manage. Tom and David are both the victims of their own success, and they will be the agents of their failure if they're not careful. Tom seems to cultivate a manic chaos around him that suggests a personality disorder, and appears to fancy himself a sort of Elon Musk-type visionary. David seems to believe that he can hold himself above the fray and glide above it all, but instead he has become woefully disconnected from his own business, and has left no one at the helm.

"A Playground In So Many Ways"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at Motley Fool full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The flexibility and autonomy are truly amazing when compared with the standard 9-5. Fringe benefits, like metro allowance, access to financial planning and theoretically unlimited vacation time are big bonuses.

If you are ok flying under the radar and are more concerned with quality of life than advancement/accomplishment, many of the cons likely won't bother you.

Cons

The company offers such amazing fringe benefits because it's cheaper than competing with other companies on salary. Depending on your department, you will likely earn a fraction of the market rate, particularly if you work in tech or investing. Despite repeated initiatives to make compensation more transparent, few understand how the process works, who you can talk to or who makes the decision.

Further, the company has very little discipline about developing and managing people -- despite high profile coaching initiatives. The majority of senior managers are long-tenured employees who joined the company during its startup stage. Few have worked in traditional settings, let alone have management training. In general, the company's expectations for employees are incredibly inconsistent and unclear, if they exist at all.

There's no clear career path and managers aren't required to have set metrics for subordinates. This leads to an unhealthy focus on politics. The org chart is a mess, and the company has devolved into a series of fiefdoms. Authority rests with whomever can get the founders most excited in a given week, and this leads to a game of "who can build the biggest sand castle." Moonshots are a dime a dozen, and the company seems far more enthused by shiny ideas than execution.

All in, the Fool talks the talk of an employee-focused company without actually walking the walk. The company makes a show of window-dressing with fringe benefits but falls down on meeting core needs like fair compensation, sensitive management and clear career opportunities.

Advice to Management

I'm all for flat hierarchy, but you need someone who can make a call when it counts to prevent infighting and empire building. Rethink the org chart, and who fills it, from the top down. Right now, nobody will tell the emperor, the CEO, he has no clothes, even when he asks them to specifically. This is for good reason: the CEO is also the founder, majority shareholder and public face of the company. He has absolute authority and little sense of restraint. There's no incentive for telling him the truth. Tom Gardner needs to either step down as CEO or make rebuilding communication and trust with his employees a top priority. We don't need another swarm, tool or retreat. We need fresh blood in senior leadership.

"If the editorial were a stock, I'd short it."

Current Contractor - Contractor
    Current Contractor - Contractor

I have been working at Motley Fool as a contractor

Pros

Contributors can make their own schedule, work from home, and choose what to write about. This is a great job for parents of young children.

Cons

Contractors don't have a good view of what's going on at HQ.

Headcount cuts in editorial severed communication.

Writing will help you become a better writer, not a better investor.

Writing for Fool is a job, not a career. It can pay well for what it is, but contractors have peaked.

Click bait headlines depart from what we say we're all about. The Fool preaches long term investing, but our articles border on extremes.

The marketing is winning at the expense of the brand.

Compensation favors quantity over quality.

HQ makes big promises and fails to deliver.

Advice to Management

This job would attract better writers, investors, and analysts if it offered more opportunities to learn, grow, and develop new skills.

Help your contractors reach their potential. Be critical. Harsh, even. Tell us when we do poorly so we know where to improve. Tell us when we're rockstars, so we know what's working. Challenge us so we don't grow complacent. Help us learn by pointing us to a Coursera link to brush up on certain subject matters.

Constantly raise the bar. Your most talented and ambitious contractors are growing bored. Leaving has never looked better.