Motley Fool Reviews | Glassdoor

2.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Motley Fool CEO Tom Gardner
Tom Gardner

Pros
  • Innovative, collaborative, tech driven company dedicated to their mission of helping the world invest better (in 11 reviews)

• Great work life balance and absolute commitment to customers as well as employees (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Don't try so hard to keep up with the latest trends (in 5 reviews)

• There's no clear career path and managers aren't required to have set metrics for subordinates (in 7 reviews)

"Change is on the horizon or so they say..."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

Pros

Motley Fool is an awesome company to work for. For the most part, they value their people and ethics. More importantly, they believe in their mission and goal, which is to help the world invest better. Their determination is solid and they tirelessly finds ways to be better everyday.

Cons

They have policies that help and invest in their employees. Unfortunately, leadership is absent in some areas. For example, my department has lost their value in teamwork. It has become more of a working group. Both aspects have a shared goal; however, there is contrast. Working groups share ideas but are not interdependent. Furthermore, they still help each other but their focus is on individual results, goals and accountability. This type of practice is conducive to employees becoming part of an out-group. It's clear, at most times, who the favorites are. It almost seems tangible but when a group of people share the same feelings, it becomes real and palpable. No one wants to feel abandoned, alone or even neglected.

Advice to Management

Effective leadership needs to be revisited and employed at every level. Leadership is about inspiring others and enabling others to act. Being part of an out-group is uninspiring but worse, having tenure and feeling unwanted, disrespected and unappreciated affects all levels of the organization. Compliment and give thanks to all employees daily. Leaders need to smile.

"All the glitters isn't necessarily gold."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at Motley Fool full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The benefits are beyond what other companies offer. The company seems to live up to most of its core values. Having tenure can increase professional possibilities. Professional growth is imminent.

Cons

Not all departments are treated fairly. Job duties can change at a moments notice without any collaboration with team, which is a core value. Financial/stock market uncertainties leads to desperate and aggressive changes in order to sustain membership. Keep the core value 'honest' at bay.

Advice to Management

Trust your employees and cease the micro-managing. Management here are simply managers not leaders. They know how to get things done but not necessarily the right way. Genuine leadership are suppose to inspire and enhance the heart, which has been replaced by fear and triviality .

Motley Fool Response

Oct 24, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments. We are always looking for ways to provide great benefits in conjunction with our trust in our dedicated and passionate employees. It’s true ... More

"A lot of Foolish fun, but little business focus"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

Pros

Every day at 3:00 Fools take recess, which is a hour long break to go outside. We have pizza day and cake day every month.

Cons

With all the focus on how much fun everyone is having, there's not enough emphasis put on the actual business.

Advice to Management

Find the balance between our culture and the business. Both are important and one cannot exist without the other one.

"Mixed bag"

Pros

The founders are just really nice guys. They take the time to know you personally and treat you with a lot of respect. Some well meaning people in HR. Nice location once you get there. Old Town is a fun place to work. The Fool has a lot of employees who have a life outside of work and is extremely supportive of your personal and professional goals.

Cons

Wow, some huge egos and frat geeks in tech. Move fast and break things? Why? Slow down and think. Don't try so hard to keep up with the latest trends. Keep changing your CIO every couple years, really? Some bad decisions have driven out good people. Way too cultish with too much emphasis and being a 'Fool Fit'. Like another reviewer said, wouldn't be surprised if the latest good reviews were submitted by the Culture Club in response to the recent downward trend in reviews.

Advice to Management

Hope it's true that you are listening to employees. Seek out the quiet ones who don't always speak up. Can be a great place to work again if you listen to ALL employees.

"How The Mighty Have Fallen"

Pros

Largely a supportive organization, The Motley Fool offers fairly generous terms for compensation and an ability to be independent. Communication up the chain is possible, though it becomes more difficult the higher you ascend.

Cons

What was once a great organization to work for and with has now become a good one. As the co-founders have removed themselves further from the day-to-day operations and placed others in charge, those running the show now have no sense of the original mission. A favored few are rewarded while the great mass of contributions from outside are ignored.

Advice to Management

Take more interest once more in the organization you created and get back on track with your original mission. We've gone so far astray that even if the company is successful, it is a hollow shell of its former self. The Fool has become a soulless place to work.

"Confusing Shifting Objectives"

Former Freelancer - Anonymous Freelancer
    Former Freelancer - Anonymous Freelancer

Pros

Flexible scheduling allows a certain freedom when submitting work to the company. You do what you want, when you want. Pay is more or less comparable to market valuations.

Cons

Shifting objectives as well as a lack of real defined objectives for writers makes it exceedingly difficult to truly interact withe company-espoused values. Eventually, writing on specific avenues is neglected due to unclear expectations.

Advice to Management

The company needs far more streamlines processes for new hire education or needs to interpret its mission statement differently so as to ensure that all avenues of financial reporting are handled adequately.

"the story has changed"

Current Employee - Contractor
    Current Employee - Contractor

Pros

tmf is still a great place to work, but only if you work at the alexandria hq. there you will find good pay and excellent fringe benefits. compensation however for the large minority of workers classed as outside contractors and freelancers took a big hit this year. if you want to get a job at tmf, make sure to get a "job-job" as an official employee. do not take a job as a contractor

Cons

the business model suffered a recent shakeup. the result is huge disruption internally, and a paycut for outside contractors. contractors are increasingly deemed secondclass citizens at tmf, suffering paycuts that do not affect workers at the alexandria hq. cut off from internal policymaking, their input is not sought, even as they bear the brunt of increasingly onerous rules from alexandria. more work and less pay is the order of the day

Advice to Management

we used to be close, but as tmf has gotten bigger, it's gotten harder to manage through channels. you don't realize it, but you're starting to lose touch. reach out to your contractors from time to time. in many cases they are "the face of the fool" -- and it's a frowney face

9. "Contractors make the business but they aren't always treated fairly."

Former Contractor - Contributor
    Former Contractor - Contributor

I worked at Motley Fool as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

The Motley Fool really takes their mission and core values seriously, and for the most part, they tend to deliver. While on-campus, you are allowed pretty much free reign over your schedule, and it got to the point that we would only come in when we had a meeting or some other event scheduled. Not too shabby.

Free pizza, cake, and other foodstuffs are always a bonus too.

Cons

As a contractor, I felt that I was never given an accurate picture of what my deliverables were for the company, other than a target number of articles to hit each month. "Coaching" to correct deficiencies often felt more negative than positive, and only made me question my ability as a writer, instead of encouraging me to do better. It got to a point where I would stress after hitting the submit button, that my article would have to undergo numerous additional revisions before publication, and therefore I would not be able to move onto other articles and increase my productivity.

I'll admit that most of this was perhaps my failure to adapt to the life of a freelance writer, but I also felt like my particular bureau had favorites among their stable of writers, and if you weren't among the handful of favorites, it was harder to get your stuff published in a timely manner. Furthermore, comparisons to the "favorites" seemed to do the opposite of building a strong bureau, instead pitting each writer against the others in a battle for top favorite.

Advice to Management

With a strong stable of contract writers, maybe it is not necessary to give all the same boilerplate contract? If some are more comfortable writing less, and producing good product, maybe let them dictate the amount they write (and get paid for) instead.

Motley Fool Response

Oct 24, 2014

Thanks for sharing your experiences at The Motley Fool. We’re very proud of our mission and core values, as well as an environment of trust that permits Fools to set their own schedule. We have been ... More

10. "great place to work"

Former Employee - Analyst
    Former Employee - Analyst

Pros

Motley fool can be a great company to work for. they staff is nice and helpful and editors are quick in turning around your completed work papers.

Cons

The one downside to the job i did was that it was online mostly and the metrics drove the job. If you no make metrics then no more job.

Advice to Management

Senior management is very nice and sweet. they play fun games with employees. we like it alot and handball fund also