Motley Fool Reviews | Glassdoor

4.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Motley Fool CEO Tom Gardner
Tom Gardner

Pros
  • Innovative, collaborative, tech driven company dedicated to their mission of helping the world invest better (in 11 reviews)

• Great work life balance and absolute commitment to customers as well as employees (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Don't try so hard to keep up with the latest trends (in 5 reviews)

• We move fast, and sometimes that means we break things along the way (in 4 reviews)

1. "Temp"

Former Contractor - Temporary Associate in Alexandria, VA
    Former Contractor - Temporary Associate in Alexandria, VA

I worked at Motley Fool as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Great environment, everyone is super friendly and helpful.

Cons

not much upward mobility from temp position but great experience and great people

Advice to Management

keep being awesome

2. "Good Company"

Former Intern - Investing Intern in Alexandria, VA
    Former Intern - Investing Intern in Alexandria, VA

I worked at Motley Fool as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Great Culture
    Lots of resources available

Cons

Didn't give interns too much work to do.

"Great place to work, can be a rollercoaster"

Current Employee - Technology in Alexandria, VA
    Current Employee - Technology in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at Motley Fool full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

People are smart, dedicated and friendly. There is good work/life balance. The company values are strong, and people try hard to live them.

Cons

The company can change directions quickly. People can be left behind when this happens. It's a good place to work but not a good place to build a career.

5. "Great experience - definitely not a static place"

I have been working at Motley Fool full-time

Pros

Management is accessible, work is interesting, Silicon valley-type benefits on the East Coast. Very nice place to work

Cons

While the Company tries to operates pretty transparently, and has an easily available strategic roadmap, we still seem to get easily distracted chasing things not on plan. I think the CEO loves change, sometimes to the detriment of focus.

Advice to Management

You've created a truly great place to work, and should be proud of that.. We could probably accomplish more with a little more focus on what we do (walk the talk).

Oct 24, 2014

We are humbled by your comment that we’ve created a truly great place to work. That is our goal, each and every day. We definitely get excited by new ideas and opportunities, and as the company ... More

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Developer in Alexandria, VA
    Current Employee - Developer in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at Motley Fool full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

It's a great environment to solve problems. The management really cares about it's employees and the benefits show that.

Cons

There's a lot of dead weight. Turnover is very low because it's a great place to work. Management, seemingly, gets attached to employees that have either outlasted their value or were never valuable to begin with. This demotivates "high-performers" and makes it difficult to hire and retain quality employees.

Advice to Management

Netflix, steal their ideas. Fire people that don't perform 20% above the mean.

Oct 24, 2014

We absolutely think of ourselves as a group of dedicated people who collaborate to solve problems for our members. Thanks for recognizing us! We have reviewed our policies and spend more time than ... More

7. "Love who I work with"

Current Employee - Assistant in Alexandria, VA
    Current Employee - Assistant in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at Motley Fool full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you have an opinion, there are ample opportunities to let it be known. They have information sessions quite often that allow you to think about new or current business strategies and ways to improve our business. But most of all, they have the knack for work/family balance. "Ask, and you shall receive" is how I feel around here when it comes to what you need for your family. As long as you are doing a great job.

Cons

At times, they have strategies that are overblown and fail. I am sure this is for every company on the face of the planet.

Advice to Management

Keep testing new and current strategies to ensure they are in line with our purpose and values.

Oct 24, 2014

It’s very rewarding to read your comments about work/family balance, as well as the feeling that your opinions are welcome. We work very hard to create an atmosphere that is receptive to ideas and ... More

"Foolishly awesome"

Former Intern - Intern in Alexandria, VA
    Former Intern - Intern in Alexandria, VA

I worked at Motley Fool as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

great culture, amazing people, fun atmosphere

Cons

Pay not as competitive as other finance firms

Advice to Management

Continue winning culture, but focus on returns rather than just starting new products. Don't let temptation to grow revenues and products affect performance

Oct 31, 2014

Thanks for your review and advice. We are constantly looking at compensation and how to make our services as useful as possible for members. We want our members to invest better, and we are spending ... More

9. "I found a family here."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at Motley Fool full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great collegial atmosphere. Top-notch workplace from a full-life perspective. People here care about the mission, the challenge, and each other. The atmosphere is laid back, but the people always strive to improve.

Cons

Sometimes the office can get a little chaotic, and communication in the office could be improved. Org changes tend to happen quickly, and can sometimes be a surprise.

Oct 31, 2014

Your review calls out so many great reasons why Fools enjoy their experience here. Being intrinsically motivated to grow and develop is a trait shared among so many Fools. Thanks for your comments!

"Employee friendly workplace"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

Pros

The Motley Fool cares about its employees, creates a fun and engaging workplace, invests in its employees, and attracts and encourages passionate employees.

Cons

Career path is not always clear

Advice to Management

Provide clearer career paths to Fools. Expectations are set fairly high, not always sure we can deliver.

"Great place to work, but tough on family life"

Current Employee - Contributor in Alexandria, VA
    Current Employee - Contributor in Alexandria, VA

Pros

Good pay, supportive management, and most of all, contribute to a service that gives so much to individual investors. This is where I learned how to invest, and now I'm teaching others.

Cons

I'm a contractor, like most of the writers. That means no benefits (and the Fool benefits are awesome if you qualify) and I've got incentives to kill myself for a higher volume of output. Work/life balance becomes a problem.

Advice to Management

Consider hiring a few of us poor contract writers, dudes. Maybe under some sort of partial benefits structure, if the full deal is too expensive. We're creating value for the company, and shouldn't be pushed to work ourselves to death doing it. Some upward mobility without moving to Alexandria would be cool, too.