Motley Fool Reviews | Glassdoor

4.2
Motley Fool CEO Tom Gardner
Tom Gardner

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Innovative, collaborative, tech driven company dedicated to their mission of helping the world invest better (in 11 reviews)

• Great work life balance and absolute commitment to customers as well as employees (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Fools love it here so much that there's very little turnover, meaning there's not obvious upward mobility (in 8 reviews)

• Can become a slog after a while, especially when you have to SEO-optimize your articles (in 6 reviews)

"This is the best job ever!"

Current Employee - Human Resources in Alexandria, VA
    Current Employee - Human Resources in Alexandria, VA

Pros

Awesome benefits and great people. The company leadership has defined a clear road map, so I where we're going and how I can help us get there. My boss is the bomb! These are by far the nicest and most itelligent people I have ever worked with. The collaboration at the company is fabulous. I don't feel like there is company "politicing" happening like I've experienced at almost every other employer that I've worked for. We spend a lot of time together - not because we have to, but because we want to. This is my second full-time stint with The Motley Fool and I hope that it lasts a long, long time.

Cons

The D.C. area is expensive.

Advice to Management

Thank you for the road map. I feel like I have a really good idea of the direction the company is going and how I can participate in creating success.

"fantastic small company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

Pros

Laid back cool people and a fun yet professional atmosphere. A growing business that is going places. Entrepreneurial atmosphere. Since the company is small you have the opportunity to make an impact. Your suggestions will be heard, you're not just a cog in the machine.

Cons

honestly none unless you are a suit and tie kind of person, not going to get that here. If you're looking for a Fortune 500 size company this isn't for you either. Since it's small advancement opportunity is limited.

Advice to Management

you know what your bread and butter is, bring people who know how to excel at it into the decision making on new products

"Amazing culture, great people, lots of opportunities - who could ask for more?"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

Pros

The people are intelligent and fun to work with. The benefits (vacation policy, monthly company events, etc..) are top notch. The advancement opportunity, casual atmosphere, and unique culture set it apart.

Cons

Company focus can change fast, it is sometimes difficult for those who cant adapt quickly to shift their focus and feel comfortable.

Advice to Management

Continue innovating, and dont be afraid to take chances. Dont forget that the customer just wants the best product on the market, and that they need to be 'delighted'. Keeping up with the joneses wont be enough.

"Very satisfied with the Fool"

Current Employee - Analyst in Alexandria, VA
    Current Employee - Analyst in Alexandria, VA

Pros

Good people, oustanding benefits (including a top-notch 401(k)), great environment, and there are many opportunities for upward mobility.

Cons

The compensation isn't anything to write home about and, because TMF is still relatively flat and growing rapidly, career paths aren't particularly well-defined.

Advice to Management

Top-down communications could stand to be improved and I think management could use some more time spent on the factory floor. That said, I think our senior management is outstanding and leading us in the right direction. I'm genuinely excited to be along for the ride.

"Many people who work at Motley Fool look forward to Monday mornings."

Current Employee - Technology in Alexandria, VA
    Current Employee - Technology in Alexandria, VA

Pros

Open, collaborative, entrepreneurial. Opportunities to advance or completely change your career focus. Top-flight HR works hard to keep people happy and motivated with trips and treats and Fool-sponsored happy hours. No dress code, no formal vacation policy. Smart, fun people.

Cons

"Entrepreneurial" often means "fluid and fast paced". Successful Fools are flexible and able to thrive in a somewhat fluid, dynamic environment. If you need a lot of structure, this may not be the place for you.

Advice to Management

None.

6. "I am biased, but seriosuly, THE best place to work in and around DC hands down, find out for yourself"

Current Employee - HR & Halo General Grade V in Alexandria, VA
    Current Employee - HR & Halo General Grade V in Alexandria, VA

Pros

The people here are amazing. They care about each other and our customers. People come to work here and don’t' leave. People come to work here because they are passionate about what they do. If you want to work somewhere and be excited to come to work, this is the place. The entrepreneur atmosphere is like a start up. But, the company is 15 years old and enjoys solid foundations, processes, and history. The co-founders are the best guys you'll ever meet. They are our friends, leaders, and visionaries. The products speak for themselves. We have the largest and best performing investment newsletters in the world. We deliver for our customers. And if the customers are unhappy it couldn't be easier to cancel.

Cons

This is hard work, you have to stay focussed and engaged

Advice to Management

Keep it up

"Great place for hard working, passionate professionals."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

Pros

Flexibility, work life balance, great benefits, and core company philosophy.

Cons

Open work environment is great, but can sometimes be difficult to get work done. Too many meetings.

Advice to Management

Downward communication could be better. Just seems that sometimes things would come out of nowhere, but I know that it was actually very thought out.

8. "Unique Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

Pros

Mission driven company. Entrepreneurial with fiscal discipline.

Cons

Struggles with balance between ideals and marketing strategy.

Advice to Management

Keep it up.

9. "Excellent place to learn and grow as an investor"

Current Employee - Research Analyst in Alexandria, VA
    Current Employee - Research Analyst in Alexandria, VA

Pros

You get to work with some of the brightest and most knowledgeable people around in an environment that encourages sharing and openness. It is literally impossible not to learn something new every day, and if you put real effort into it, the amount you can learn and grow is limitless. Dress is casual, the atmosphere is relaxed, and the pursuit of excellence fills the air.

Cons

If you want your own office, or the aspiration of your own office, that's not going to fly here. The open-room feel might make reading or concentration seem difficult, but donning some headphones or grabbing yourself a conference room for some quieter time is never an issue.

Advice to Management

Keep it up.

10. "This place is the best"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

Pros

the easy things to describe are unlimited paid time off (provided you get your work done), flexible work arrangements, practically free health insurance, no dress code (shorts and flip flops OK), the game rooms, the free food and company sponsored events (completely optional) . the things I value the most are the collaborative work environment, the respect and autonomy afforded to me as an employee, the everyday access to leadership and the total lack of corporate nonsense.

Cons

I know I could get paid more elsewhere. Also since this is a fairly flat organization, lateral moves are common (new projects, new skills, new responsibilities), but there aren't many existing paths to move 'up' (opportunities to manage people).

Advice to Management

Keep it small. There are plans to move into new areas which will require an increase in the number of employees. While the new opportunities are exciting, I believe there is a maximum size an organization can get to before it becomes 'corporate'. Even though I trust it will be done Foolishly, I worry that it will qualitatively change what it is like to work here.