Motley Fool Reviews | Glassdoor

Motley Fool Reviews

Updated August 21, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great work life balance and absolute commitment to customers as well as employees (in 12 reviews)

• Innovative, collaborative, tech driven company dedicated to their mission of helping the world invest better (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Fools love it here so much that there's very little turnover, meaning there's not obvious upward mobility (in 8 reviews)

• Can become a slog after a while, especially when you have to SEO-optimize your articles (in 6 reviews)

"Web Developer"

Pros

What was originally supposed to be a 90-day contact lasted about 7 Months. I was welcomed with open arms from the first day on, and never treated as a temporary employee. Management was great, very organized, open minded.

Cons

Wish I could of stayed longer, but plan on keeping in touch with many of the individuals I met throughout my contract.

"Freelancer"

Pros

Very collegial staff, very competitive pay, flexibility.

Cons

One editor was very passive-aggressive but he was an anomaly. I chose to work fewer hours once he became my supervisor.

"A great company, but with some serious issues"

Pros

The people at The Motley Fool are among the best I have ever known, in any context. They are almost uniformly intelligent, capable, and generous with their time and knowledge. We Fools, as we are proud to call ourselves, live and breath our culture--you may call it drinking the Kool-Aid--but I would simply respond that, when something is as good as our culture, you can't help but wish that everyone could experience it.

Cons

During my entire time at the company, the Fool has been very consistent in hiring the intelligent, capable people that make it such a wonderful place to work. However, in a company that is staying relatively the same size, there are simply not enough challenging, career-advancing opportunities for all those intelligent, capable people. That said, the company discourages turnover, exacerbating a problem it created in the first place. There are other minor issues potential applications should be aware of, which I am sure are addressed in other reviews. That said, I believe most fall under the "No Place is Perfect for Everyone" doctrine.

Advice to Management

Management needs to find a way to either challenge and retain talent at all levels, or else prepare itself for potentially widespread departures. People looking to advance their careers--and their lives--will only subsist for so long on great people and a great culture. Pay more, offer more challenges, and allow real advancement for more than a select few.

"Great place, needs fine tuning"

I have been working at Motley Fool full-time

Pros

Great people work here. They're smart, committed, honest, caring and full of energy. The company tries very hard to foster a dynamic workplace culture to take advantage of the team.

Cons

A lot of decisions seem to be made on the fly by upper managers who are operating by the gut. That not only flies in the face of what everyone else is supposed to be doing (using data to inform decisions), but it leads to a lot of wasted effort on false starts. It also leads to confusion, resentment, or simple fatigue with chasing the shiny new object.

Advice to Management

Measure thrice, cut once. You have many people who aren't operating at full capacity because they're not challenged and its considered career limiting to make this known.

"Work hard, play hard"

I worked at Motley Fool full-time

Pros

Great atmosphere and amazing benefits. Employees are super talented and there is an inherent team spirit. Paid healthcare and yummy snacks sweeten the deal too.

Cons

Can be a little disorganized as the company grows in spurts. Some teams have a tough time adjusting. There could be more women in management.

"Great company culture"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mantua, NJ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mantua, NJ

I worked at Motley Fool (Less than a year)

Pros

Best company culture I've seen.

Cons

Very competitive to get a job here!

"Investment Team Lacks Diversity, Team Leads Reluctant to Hear New Ideas"

Current Employee - Investment Analyst in Alexandria, VA
    Current Employee - Investment Analyst in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at Motley Fool full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Compared to traditional finance companies, the Fool is a low key place to work. No need to dress up or wear a tie. Everyone, even the CIO, has a cubby and is seated in pods of four. Great to bounce around ideas and hear what's happening in other parts of the floor. There are usually weekly meetings and assignments are distributed on a timely basis.

Most reviews here mention benefits, like organized trips and concerts, but most people on the investment team tends to be less social.

Cons

I came to the Fool under the impression that it runs like a startup, where new ideas are accepted and everyone is encouraged to participate. In reality, the Fool runs like a big company, no different than your typical Wall Street company. It's very hierarchical and you don't get much say especially if you are new.

To stay afloat, you need to put your head down and do what your manager tells you to do. Be prepared to have managers way younger than you. They may not know what they talking about, investment-wise, but they'll have seniority over you, because they've been at the Fool longer.

The investment team lacks diversity -- there are very few women and employees of color. Many of its new hires tends to be mainstream rejects. In other words, if you don't fit the traditional mold (college + MBA + work experience), the Fool will likely hire you.

Everything at the Fool is about doing it the "Fool-ish" way and God forbid you come in to the company with previous experience, especially Wall Street experience, you'll be shunned and ostracized. The Fool prides itself as being anti-Wall Street, so definitely don't flaunt your past experiences or expertise. No matter your background, when you enter the Fool, you start from ground zero and must work your way up. Unfortunately, it's very hard, because performance isn't based on merit, but on how effective you are at sucking up to the right people.

If you are new at the company, definitely don't speak up and voice your ideas, unless you want a target on your back. There is a strong sense of unspoken rule that seniority (or length of time at the Fool) dictates whether you make a good investor.

Management will say that the company turnover rate is low, but the reality is they just don't count many of the folks who left within a year. For an investment analyst, the pay is very low especially compared to the market average. It's a comfortable job with great hours, but other than that, I wouldn't consider this a great investment company.

Advice to Management

Please make performance based on merit and not on seniority. Just because someone has worked at the Fool longer doesn't mean he/she is a better investor!

"I Still Can't Believe This Place Exists"

Current Employee - IT Support in Alexandria, VA
    Current Employee - IT Support in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at Motley Fool full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The employees are treated like adults, the benefits are amazing, and the facilities are awesome. The worse part of my day is traffic, but it is quickly forgotten when I step through the door. Did I mention the people are great!? The Fools who work here are defiantly part of what make this place awesome.

Cons

With such a unique culture it can be pretty overwhelming just how things move. Some things are quite predictable while others seem to remain in a constant state of flux, I'll admit It's not for everyone, those of us still here have gotten used to it.

Advice to Management

Keep at it, I know this place isn't for everyone but for those of us who genuinely love this place. We hope that you continue to make it one of the best places to work.

"Work here if you are outgoing, clique-y and foolish"

I have been working at Motley Fool full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people are nice. Close knit group. People know a lot about each other's business-- could be a good thing (teammates stepping in during family emergencies) or a bad thing (nosy people wanting to find out gossip). Work / life balance not bad.

Cons

Much mob mentality, clique-y, you are either in or out, better hope you are in the in-group, or you will be on your way out. Not much personal space, everyone in each other's business. There is pressure to do and say certain things in order to appease the top people. Many colleagues have border-line ADD, hard to focus, distracting in the office. Performance subjective, depending on who happens to be rating you. No clear path of advancement and salary increases never discussed. Be wary of asking for too much as it can be seen as rocking the boat.

Advice to Management

You say you care about diversity. The reality is you want everyone to conform to the "Foolish" ways. Just because someone doesn't have an outgoing personality, that doesn't make him a bad worker.

"Mixed bag"

Pros

The founders are just really nice guys. They take the time to know you personally and treat you with a lot of respect. Some well meaning people in HR. Nice location once you get there. Old Town is a fun place to work. The Fool has a lot of employees who have a life outside of work and is extremely supportive of your personal and professional goals.

Cons

Wow, some huge egos and frat geeks in tech. Move fast and break things? Why? Slow down and think. Don't try so hard to keep up with the latest trends. Keep changing your CIO every couple years, really? Some bad decisions have driven out good people. Way too cultish with too much emphasis and being a 'Fool Fit'. Like another reviewer said, wouldn't be surprised if the latest good reviews were submitted by the Culture Club in response to the recent downward trend in reviews.

Advice to Management

Hope it's true that you are listening to employees. Seek out the quiet ones who don't always speak up. Can be a great place to work again if you listen to ALL employees.