Motley Fool Reviews | Glassdoor

Motley Fool Reviews

Updated April 10, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • Innovative, collaborative, tech driven company dedicated to their mission of helping the world invest better (in 11 reviews)

• Great work life balance and absolute commitment to customers as well as employees (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Don't try so hard to keep up with the latest trends (in 5 reviews)

• We move fast, and sometimes that means we break things along the way (in 4 reviews)

"Do work you're passionate about, for a mission you believe in, alongside the best and brightest in their fields."

Current Employee - Program Manager in Alexandria, VA
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at Motley Fool full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The culture is one of drive, entrepreneurship, fun, and helping the world invest better. As an employee you are trusted and respected (you don't get treated like a child; you can wear what you want, show up and leave when you want, and there's no vacation policy). That gives you the confidence to go about your work in the best way suited for you, and success is strongly rewarded. Fun, competitive culture for sure.

Cons

Not many to speak of, but one I'd mention is the start-up culture at The Fool can lead to changing short-term goals from time-to-time.

Advice to Management

Keep allowing your employees to voice their opinions, but also make sure current priorities align with our long-term objectives.

"Great place to work – but not for everyone"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at Motley Fool full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I think it’s important to remember that no work environment is perfect for everyone. I have worked at The Motley Fool for more than a decade and here are the reasons I still love it here.

Amazing People – The people that I work with are some of the smartest, kindest and most dedicated I’ve ever met. In my work and even casual conversations I’m challenged and stimulated. Generally people that are jerks don’t last long around here because it’s just so counter to the culture.

Constant Learning – The posts here have focused around the “lack of career path.” This is really by design and I love it. The Fool is constantly trying to align talent of the individual with the needs of the business. For me that has lead me to jobs I would have never imagined and given me opportunities to learn and grow beyond my wildest dreams. I assumed when I started here that I would be in marketing for the rest of my life, but I’ve now done product strategy, customer service, human resources, and tech strategy. I look at my career now and think I can learn or do anything and my skill sets are so broad that I can speak across several different levels of any organization and connect business initiatives across departments

I can be myself – I bring 100% of me to work every day. "Me" is hard working and analytical, but also a little kooky, nerdy, silly. I’ve had jobs that I felt like I was leaving a part of myself at the door and that I was slowly become someone else that was hard and jaded. I don't feel that here. I can joke and play and still be taken seriously on a professional level too.

Transparency – I love knowing how we are doing and how my job feeds into that. Everyone is encouraged to know the top and bottom line of the company, how our business model works and how their job fits into the company's long and short term plans. In previous jobs I’ve had no idea we were doing poorly until layoffs were announced or no idea that we were doing well until some people got big bonuses – but not everyone. I love that our bonus structure is the same for everyone and if we do well everyone does well, and if we are in trouble everyone pulls together to cut costs.

Fun – I’m encouraged to have fun in my work and if I’m not having fun I’m encouraged to fix that.

Cons

Here are reasons you’ll be frustrated if you decide to work here and it's the wrong fit.

Speed – Things move fast ALL THE TIME. We are a performance culture. I like the challenge of that but if you think this is a “great culture” where work/life balance means that you don’t work hard, you’ll be disappointed. It is flexible and there is a lot of fun, but there is always a lot to do.

Change – I guess this goes with speed, but when something’s not working we change it. If we find a better way next week we change it again. This might lead to new jobs, new roles, new bosses, new initiatives frequently. I find that stimulating, but for some people it feels a little chaotic. If the seems energizing to you will like it here. If not you'll be confused and frustrated frequently.

Communication – With so much change and speed it’s hard to keep everyone informed about everything all the time. You have to be proactive and build networks within the company to keep up to date. But this is encouraged and I don’t ever feel like information is intentionally left out – only that it hasn’t caught up to the official channels.

Career Path – You never know exactly what your next step is around here, but that doesn’t mean that you don’t have opportunities. You won’t grow from representative to manager to VP to SVP to Chief something, but my experience is that I’ve seen consistent opportunities to learn, grow, and develop - and although a little confusing on paper, my career and skill sets have consistently grown along with my compensation.

Advice to Management

As we grow it’s going to be more important to scale leadership transparency and communication. Things that came very naturally in the past may need a little more attention. I’ve seen some reviews in here about leadership and I think most of them come from a lack of understanding. In the past it was easy for everyone to say – “I sat in on an ExCom meeting and the intentions are good” I think it’s harder as we grow and as the company has more locations to maintain that same level of transparency and trust. I really don’t think it has changed – I just think as we grow it's harder to see the great and deliberate intent put into our strategies and decisions. Keep up the great work!

"Change is on the horizon or so they say..."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

Pros

Motley Fool is an awesome company to work for. For the most part, they value their people and ethics. More importantly, they believe in their mission and goal, which is to help the world invest better. Their determination is solid and they tirelessly finds ways to be better everyday.

Cons

They have policies that help and invest in their employees. Unfortunately, leadership is absent in some areas. For example, my department has lost their value in teamwork. It has become more of a working group. Both aspects have a shared goal; however, there is contrast. Working groups share ideas but are not interdependent. Furthermore, they still help each other but their focus is on individual results, goals and accountability. This type of practice is conducive to employees becoming part of an out-group. It's clear, at most times, who the favorites are. It almost seems tangible but when a group of people share the same feelings, it becomes real and palpable. No one wants to feel abandoned, alone or even neglected.

Advice to Management

Effective leadership needs to be revisited and employed at every level. Leadership is about inspiring others and enabling others to act. Being part of an out-group is uninspiring but worse, having tenure and feeling unwanted, disrespected and unappreciated affects all levels of the organization. Compliment and give thanks to all employees daily. Leaders need to smile.

"More than just perks"

Current Employee - Anonymous in Alexandria, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at Motley Fool full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The Fool has a lot of great perks that are listed on this site and come up in the reviews. The thing you can't see on a list is the atmosphere of the company. You are surrounded by intelligent, down to earth people that make you better, every day. Your coworkers challenge you to keep improving yourself mentally, physically, and in your role. It is an ever changing job that keeps you interested for the long haul.

Cons

Mixing up roles can be stressful even if you know it's a good thing in the end. Just like moving to a new house is stressful even though you know it is better for you family.

Advice to Management

Keep mixing things up but make sure to thoroughly communicate in a timely manner.

"Excellent company, moving in the right direction"

Current Employee - Editor/Analyst in Alexandria, VA
    Current Employee - Editor/Analyst in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at Motley Fool full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Excellent benefits (no vacation policy, treadmill desks, tons of free books), fantastic culture, great people. Lots of upward mobility, you really get to determine your future here. No two days are alike, work is very interesting. Overall no real complaints.

Cons

Everyone is firing in every direction so much that folks don't always establish processes as quickly as they should...but honestly, that's not really a huge downside.

Advice to Management

Keep it up.

"Best place I've ever worked!"

I have been working at Motley Fool full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Coming to work every day you are surrounded by incredibly brilliant and inspired people! Fools genuinely believe in our mission and it is evident in everything they do - from being encouraged to raise questions to meeting our members we're all in it to win it! Being encouraged to experiment and try new things is so refreshing to see in the working world. The benefits are out of this world and tailored to all kinds of people - a great wellness program, free books, speaker series, classes and continuous education, clubs for everyone, a recognition program that is peer to peer, and so many events for everyone - they're unreal.

Cons

The Fool is a very fast paced environment which may not be for everyone but it wouldn't be where it is today if it weren't.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work encouraging people to experiment and raise questions. As the company grows, it is important for our leadership team to continue attending events where they can meet all of the amazing employees. It's really refreshing to see actions taken from surveys and feedback to improve an already amazing place!

"Great people, good ideas, poor execution, weak leadership."

I have been working at Motley Fool full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The Fool houses some of the brightest, most talented people with whom I've ever worked. The employees truly aspire to greatness, and I've never been a part of a team that didn't collaborate effectively and from which I didn't learn tremendously.

The company does not have clear career paths, and I consider that a major plus. If you are curious and driven, you can develop a variety of skills and sculpt nearly any role you can think of for yourself within the business.

The benefits, mentioned in many reviews, are certainly wonderful. For smart, hard-working people (including many Fool employees), though, such benefits have become commoditized. Nearly any company I'd consider working for has comparable benefits. They are not the draw.

Cons

The leadership team oscillates between providing a top-down vision for the company and empowering teams to craft a strategy of their own. Either approach is valid, but oscillating between the two is dangerous, demoralizing, and ineffective. It is difficult to maintain a sense of ownership over your work when its direction -- and your role in shaping it -- frequently change.

Foolish leaders have a strong case of "not invented here" syndrome, which manifests itself in both new product ideas (partnerships, in which we'd give up some control, are anathema) and how we allocate people. Our executive team seems to believe that, for any possible new business or project on which we embark, we already have within the company the ideal set of employees for it. Promoting from within, when the desired skill set is available, is surely preferable -- but when the desired skill set is not, top-tier companies go out and hire the best. This TMF does not.

Advice to Management

Apply a critical eye to the composition of the leadership team and board. Is each group structured to seek disconfirming evidence and empowered to play devil's advocate? Is each member well-suited to lead the company over the coming ten years (rather than the past ten)?

"I'd be crazy to leave this place"

I have been working at Motley Fool full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I could go on and on, but some of the main highlights are: the people, the laid-back culture, the flexibility (in both job and work schedule), the trust and mutual accountability, and most of all... the ability to truly change the world. The mission at The Motley Fool is to help the world invest -- better and everyone in the company knows it and is completely committed to it. Every day, you don't feel like you're just going to do any normal job with people you don't really like; you feel like you're part of something bigger and your co-workers are some of your best friends.

Cons

If you need to have stability in your job and workplace environment, then TMF may not be for you. The company moves incredibly fast with new initiatives and strategies and people are expected to adjust just as quickly. You could have a few different jobs at TMF within the first couple years of working there. So, if you really thrive off of stability, you may struggle at TMF.

Advice to Management

While the pace is fast and teams/roles move around incredibly often, ensure that communication of all changes is timely and clear.

"Great Place to Work With Lots of Opportunities"

I have been working at Motley Fool full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The Motley Fool is known for its company culture which is supported by a great team of people. Events are planned monthly (or sometimes weekly) to bring Fools together and build collaboration and teamwork. While the company is laid back and allows employees flexibility to set their own hours, play games at work, and research and read as much as they want - there is a strong sense of purpose and employees are so dedicated to their projects that they truly play hard but work even harder.

Cons

If I wear a shirt with a collar and buttons people ask if I am going on a job interview.

Advice to Management

Keep dreaming big and supporting Fools. You do an awesome job.

"Great place to work, can be a rollercoaster"

Current Employee - Technology in Alexandria, VA
    Current Employee - Technology in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at Motley Fool full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

People are smart, dedicated and friendly. There is good work/life balance. The company values are strong, and people try hard to live them.

Cons

The company can change directions quickly. People can be left behind when this happens. It's a good place to work but not a good place to build a career.