Motley Fool Reviews | Glassdoor

Motley Fool Reviews

Updated December 16, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great work life balance and absolute commitment to customers as well as employees (in 12 reviews)

• Innovative, collaborative, tech driven company dedicated to their mission of helping the world invest better (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Fools love it here so much that there's very little turnover, meaning there's not obvious upward mobility (in 8 reviews)

• Can become a slog after a while, especially when you have to SEO-optimize your articles (in 6 reviews)

"I Still Can't Believe This Place Exists"

Current Employee - IT Support in Alexandria, VA
    Current Employee - IT Support in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at Motley Fool full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The employees are treated like adults, the benefits are amazing, and the facilities are awesome. The worse part of my day is traffic, but it is quickly forgotten when I step through the door. Did I mention the people are great!? The Fools who work here are defiantly part of what make this place awesome.

Cons

With such a unique culture it can be pretty overwhelming just how things move. Some things are quite predictable while others seem to remain in a constant state of flux, I'll admit It's not for everyone, those of us still here have gotten used to it.

Advice to Management

Keep at it, I know this place isn't for everyone but for those of us who genuinely love this place. We hope that you continue to make it one of the best places to work.

"Work here if you are outgoing, clique-y and foolish"

I have been working at Motley Fool full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people are nice. Close knit group. People know a lot about each other's business-- could be a good thing (teammates stepping in during family emergencies) or a bad thing (nosy people wanting to find out gossip). Work / life balance not bad.

Cons

Much mob mentality, clique-y, you are either in or out, better hope you are in the in-group, or you will be on your way out. Not much personal space, everyone in each other's business. There is pressure to do and say certain things in order to appease the top people. Many colleagues have border-line ADD, hard to focus, distracting in the office. Performance subjective, depending on who happens to be rating you. No clear path of advancement and salary increases never discussed. Be wary of asking for too much as it can be seen as rocking the boat.

Advice to Management

You say you care about diversity. The reality is you want everyone to conform to the "Foolish" ways. Just because someone doesn't have an outgoing personality, that doesn't make him a bad worker.

"Mixed bag"

Pros

The founders are just really nice guys. They take the time to know you personally and treat you with a lot of respect. Some well meaning people in HR. Nice location once you get there. Old Town is a fun place to work. The Fool has a lot of employees who have a life outside of work and is extremely supportive of your personal and professional goals.

Cons

Wow, some huge egos and frat geeks in tech. Move fast and break things? Why? Slow down and think. Don't try so hard to keep up with the latest trends. Keep changing your CIO every couple years, really? Some bad decisions have driven out good people. Way too cultish with too much emphasis and being a 'Fool Fit'. Like another reviewer said, wouldn't be surprised if the latest good reviews were submitted by the Culture Club in response to the recent downward trend in reviews.

Advice to Management

Hope it's true that you are listening to employees. Seek out the quiet ones who don't always speak up. Can be a great place to work again if you listen to ALL employees.

"I couldn't imagine working anywhere else."

I have been working at Motley Fool full-time

Pros

I cannot think of another company that tries as hard to take care of their employees, and gets it right 9 out of 10 times.

The benefits at the Fool are simply amazing. Unlimited vacation pay. Unlimited sick pay. Flexible work outs. Outstanding health insurance with no deductibles and $2 premiums. Great 401k match. Stock grants. Pay for your cell phone. Wear whatever you want. The list goes on and on.

The people here are amazing, too. It's the main reason I'm here. They're fun, collaborative, and hard working. The office environment doesn't feel like work. It's like a college study room with fun people doing their best, but not taking themselves too seriously in the process. No one feels the need to sit at their desk and look busy, aimlessly poking at spreadsheets to create the impression that you're adding value. If you're done with your work, people talk, joke, have a good time, or go home early and spend time with their family. Very few other work places will put up with this.

Most importantly, all of these benefits are not accidents. They are put in place by a management team who truly cares about every employee and wants everyone to succeed. No company gets everything right, and the Fool is pretty good at admitting when it made a mistake and trying earnestly to fix it. But everything is relative. Compared with other organizations, the Fool is truly one of the best places to work in America.

I could not imagine working anywhere else, and I hope I never will.

Cons

I miss cake day.

Advice to Management

Great job, and thanks for caring.

"If you enjoy a fast-paced environment, I can't imagine a better place to work."

Current Employee - Member Service Representative in Alexandria, VA
    Current Employee - Member Service Representative in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at Motley Fool full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have been here over a year now and have seen a company that stands behind its words. The fast-paced environment is not designed nor should it wear you down. The unlimited paid time off policy has never been an issue when I wanted or needed to take time to slow down (either a day or weeks at a time). All of that aside, I have grown professionally within this year at an exponential rate in comparison to previous work environments. From opportunities made available (but not forced upon me) and my colleagues that happily mentor at the drop of a hat, I cannot imagine building my career anywhere else at this point.

Cons

If you are a stickler for structure, I could imagine some stressful days and situations here. Answers are out there, but make sure you do your part to ask the questions to the right people.

Advice to Management

Keep listening to our members and other stakeholders.

"Great Company, Great Mission"

I have been working at Motley Fool full-time

Pros

There are many reasons that I chose to work for the Motley Fool over other opportunities. First is the mission of the company - to help the world invest, better. That mission statement is not just something written down somewhere, it truly is the guiding light for all that we do. The next thing that attracted me to the company are the people. Across the board, the people here are friendly, helpful, but most importantly excellent at what they do. I feel I have the opportunity to learn something new every day simply because of the level of talent at this company. And the last thing I'll highlight are the benefits. There are great financial benefits, but what differentiates the Fool are the non-financial benefits. A comprehensive health and wellness program, company outings, flexible work hours and unlimited vacation...It has helped re-introduce a strong work/life balance into my family.

Cons

The Motley Fool has the ability to act very quickly on new ideas, and occasionally does. The more input they can gather from the teams involved before moving forward, the more successful they will be. I guess that can be defined as a "process" issue.

Advice to Management

It seems that management is already taking active steps for employees to both receive and offer feedback in a variety of ways. That is certainly a step in the right direction. If we can extend that feedback loop to things on a project level (as opposed to feedback on the company as a whole, or people in general), I feel amazing things can happen. The company attracts amazing people, work to derive value from them however possible!

"I love this company!"

Current Employee - Product Manager in Alexandria, VA
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at Motley Fool full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I've never worked at a company that cared about its employees so much and actually sought to live its core values like the Fool. I work with some of the smartest and most passionate people I've ever met. And the environment is awesome -- there are so many clubs, activities, field trips, and exercise classes that it almost feels like college sometimes. Oh and did I mention the insane benefits?

Cons

It's not perfect, but no company is. There are issues, but the management is aware of them -- and actively working to fix them. The things we talk about openly at the Fool (like surveys on employee happiness) that would only come up in hushed corners at other companies and never actually be worked on. I'm sure the company has changed a lot since the "beginning," but I'm also sure there are a lot of things the company is doing better now than it was then that longer-tenured employees don't remember. That's one con of having so many long-tenured employees: people don't remember the harsh outside world.

Advice to Management

Keep being open to feedback and iterating based on it.

"Passionate and collaborative Fools who support each other"

I have been working at Motley Fool full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A casual dress code and the flexibility to work on couches, chaises, or treadmills around the office are just pixels on the Fool's monitor of perks. The unlimited vacation, health and wellness initiatives, free swag (apparel, foods, etc.), and epic company events are more key elements of the Fool's continually growing list of benefits.

What keeps the Fool at the top is our people. Fools care about each other. We listen to each other, work together well, and want to see each other succeed. We're passionate about helping each other learn from mistakes and develop into better workers each day. If you want to learn something, you just have to ask. There are so many communication tools to choose from if you want to reach someone.

In addition to the perks and people, the location is beautiful. Our building has wide, open windows and the space is open and collaborative. Old Town Alexandria has great food, easy access to the metro, and with our patio facing the Masonic Temple, the view is always a grand one.

Cons

We move fast, and sometimes that means we break things along the way. There are so many different projects and ideas being tested around the office, and it's up to you to make sure you stay on top of the updates.

If you need a clear career path or thrive on job titles, you won't be happy at the Fool. While there are teams of Fools happy to help and guide you, your career path is ultimately up to you. It's not uncommon for a Fool to work on 10+ different teams in 10 years. Speaking of teams, they change often, and you have to be able to roll with the frequent changes. Flexibility and adaptability are musts, or you'll find yourself lost in the sea of fast-paced Foolishness.

Advice to Management

We are heading in the right direction with the open communication during company wide meetings and availability of information. We know you're listening to our feedback, so continue keeping us in the loop with any changes happening around the office. We're listening too and want to stay the best place to work!

"I can't imagine an employer that works harder to get it right."

Current Employee - Fool Wealth Team in Alexandria, VA
    Current Employee - Fool Wealth Team in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at Motley Fool full-time (More than a year)

Pros

As many reviewers have stated, the best thing about The Fool is the people. It is a privilege to get to work with people that genuinely care about their quality of work, the people around them, the brand, and the impact they are having on customers' lives. No place to work is perfect. But there is a genuine care at all levels of the company that we keep working to get it right, and that alone makes it a wonderful place to work.

Cons

The business is ambitious. That is hardly a con, but when ambitious goals meet "can do" people - they push for results, and they push hard. It becomes critical to make sure the brand does not become damaged during that process.

Advice to Management

Keep trying to open the communication lines across the company. The number of folks maintaining anonymity on slido alone means something. Despite our bias towards constant change, having great people hit a rhythm in their execution is a powerful thing.

"I can't imagine going anywhere else"

Current Employee - Director in Alexandria, VA
    Current Employee - Director in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at Motley Fool full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

In my decade-plus with the Fool, I've continually been surrounded by the smartest people I know. And it's not smarts in a silo -- some techs I've worked with have had brilliant business ideas, investment folks have come up with amazing tech solutions, etc. And everyone in the building truly believe in our mission: to help the world invest better.

Cons

Is the Fool perfect? Nope. In our efforts to win (competitive is a core value), people sometimes focus too much on achieving short-term objectives, which I think can be antithetical to the advice we give on buying and holding stocks for the long term. But in general, Fools want to do the right thing, and everyone has a forum to point out when we do something that doesn't make us proud.

Advice to Management

I'd avoid hiring people right out of school. People who have never had a real job before think this is what the rest of the world is like -- limitless vacation, massages in the office, Nerf-gun battles, meaningful work, an ability to move from role to role to find the perfect fit -- and they don't appreciate the genuine uniqueness of what the Fool offers.