Motley Fool Software Developer Reviews | Glassdoor

5.0
Motley Fool CEO Tom Gardner
Tom Gardner

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Innovative, collaborative, tech driven company dedicated to their mission of helping the world invest better (in 11 reviews)

• Great work life balance and absolute commitment to customers as well as employees (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Fools love it here so much that there's very little turnover, meaning there's not obvious upward mobility (in 8 reviews)

• Can become a slog after a while, especially when you have to SEO-optimize your articles (in 6 reviews)

"A different way of working"

Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in Alexandria, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at Motley Fool full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Here are 4 quick pros that have made a world of difference to me at the Fool:
    1. I have the autonomy to pick the work I want to do.
    2. I have the tools to understand what why strengths are.
    3. I have the support to develop in the areas of my choosing.
    4. I have the flexibility to be my best self at work and at home.

Cons

If Titles, Promotions, and Hierarchy are what you are looking for this place is not for you. What the Motley Fool is really good at is finding out what your strengths are and giving you opportunities to be on projects that exploit those strengths. Great work is rewarded with greater compensation and greater challenges.

Advice to Management

Double down on getting smarter about what drives each individual employee and aligning that drive with impactful projects. My sense is that this will be a huge competitive advantage for us.

"Multiple internships, will be returning ASAP"

Former Intern - Software Development Intern in Alexandria, VA
    Former Intern - Software Development Intern in Alexandria, VA

I worked at Motley Fool as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

The Motley Fool puts people first. This means customers and employees. What makes them so fantastic to work for is the lack of any ridiculous corporate bureaucracy. Everyone is extremely humble no matter their position and want to know what they can do better. The culture (a word that they love and work so hard to perfect) is one that promotes bettering one's self. They do peer review multiple times a year, they have classes all the time taught by employees about pretty much anything that anyone can take, they have tons of fitness classes and play pick up soccer, basketball, and floor hockey every week, and always have fruit and other healthy snacks free to munch on.

Cons

Because of the unrestricted work schedule and ability to work from home, sometimes it was difficult tracking people down if you needed to collaborate. I don't really think this is an overall negative because the benefits of being able to work the hours that work for you and being able to remote in completely outweigh this one negative but it said I had to put something.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing.

3. "The Motley Fool is the bee's knees"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Alexandria, VA
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at Motley Fool full-time

Pros

-It is awesome to work with so many extremely smart and talented people. A benefit of this is the tremendous amount of trust and mutual respect among coworkers.
    -We have an incredible mission that is easy to be passionate about and it makes the work we do seem very noble and righteous.
    -Our benefits listed on our culture blog pretty much speak for themselves...unlimited PTO, flexible work schedule, in-office massuise and chiropractor, and so many other things make working here a blast.

Cons

-It is easy to gain weight from all of the free food/drinks. Be wary of the "foolish 15".
    -Sometimes there are way too many fun things going on during periods of time when we are really busy and it activates my FOMO and stresses me out.
    -I sometimes wonder why I'm being paid, because I have so much fun at work.
    -There really isn't a very obvious or defined career path for people to take in order to get themselves promoted and moving up the corporate ladder. Everyone recognizes this though, so I assume we are working hard to fix it in some foolish and clever way.

Advice to Management

Ensure that we are growing in a sustainable way and at the right pace so that our growth doesn't change who we are fundamentally as a company.

Motley Fool Response

Oct 31, 2014

We’re excited that you’re taking advantage of our benefits! We think the combination of a truly meaningful purpose, talented Fools and a great culture really can change the definition of “work... More

4. "Great environment! Fun people! Be ready to work."

Former Employee - Software Developer in Alexandria, VA
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Alexandria, VA

Pros

The best reasons to work at the Fool are the culture and the people. The company provides an extremely relaxed work environment. Playing video games and foos ball are standard procedure, so sometimes it's amazing any work gets done at all. Did I mention that there is no vacation policy? You just take the time off when you need it. I'm still trying to figure out how that worked out.

While they had some rough times during the dot-bomb era, they appear to turned things around and rebuilt a nice, solid business. As a testament to the company/culture, there are a TON of Fools that have been with the company for what seems like forever.

The company mission of helping individuals with personal finance is generally quite inspiring.

Cons

You must be able to actually get stuff done in a very relaxed work environment. Do not expect a private office where you can easily shut the door and focus. We basically had a couple dozen desks on an open floorplan, with no walls, partitions, cubes, etc. Some people loved it. Others required some time to get used to it.

While the mission of helping individuals with personal finance is great, the company has to walk a delicate line between truly help people and actually selling products/services that make money. The company has been criticized in the past for pushing products that are not 100% inline with the company's philosophy of do-it-yourself investing.

Advice to Management

Keep at it. You're on a good path.