KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Motley Fool

Engaged Employer

Motley Fool

Add a Review

Motley Fool Employee Reviews about "fools"

Updated Aug 23, 2021

Technical Account Manager

60 Comments

Join the conversation on

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "Founders Tom and David Gardner are great people to work with for life.(in 39 reviews)
  • "Awesome benefits and great people.(in 22 reviews)
  • "The people and the culture are great.(in 21 reviews)
  • "3. Good pay(in 11 reviews)
  • "It is very refreshing to work at a place where everyone is happy.(in 8 reviews)
Cons
  • "If you need a clear career path or thrive on job titles, you won't be happy at the Fool.(in 8 reviews)
  • "If you are good at your job better pray that your manager is one of the “in” crowd and is actually asked for their opinion about you.(in 4 reviews)
  • "What the Motley Fool is really good at is finding out what your strengths are and giving you opportunities to be on projects that exploit those strengths.(in 4 reviews)
  • "There’s is no career progression plan, the company requires you to look around the business and communicate upwards a desire to move into new areas, or even spot opportunities that the business can move into that we don’t even have yet.(in 3 reviews)
  • "Unfortunately, leadership is absent in some areas.(in 3 reviews)
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Motley Fool and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "fools"

Return to all Reviews
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 10 years

Best business education I've ever recieved

Jan 2, 2013 - Coach in Alexandria, VA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Because of the Fools commitment to transparency and focus on developing it's employees I whole heartily believe that I have learned more here than I could ever have hoped to have absorbed from any MBA program.

Cons

The Fool doesn't suffer fools. This isn't a job you "phone in". If you are not used to bringing your A game to work then this isn't the place for you.

Motley Fool Response

We have definitely built our culture around “bringing your A game.” And we focus on developing our high performers because through them we can fulfill our purpose of helping the world invest better. They create amazing products that add so much value to our members’ lives. Thank you for recognizing our commitment to development!

2. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

A place to work so great, it will spoil you!

Jan 3, 2013 - People Team in Alexandria, VA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great people, great culture, and amazing benefits are all reasons to love the Fool, but I love that the Fool promotes innovation, contrary views on myriad topics, and autonomy in everyday work. When I go on vacation, I miss the Fools that I work with, and when can you say that about a place of work? I also love that the Fool promotes working hard as well as enjoying your time away from the office.

Cons

Next steps in your career aren't always laid out, but that can be a great thing, too, because you can find your own path!

Be the first to find this review helpful

Motley Fool Response

Thanks for mentioning our commitment to innovation and autonomy for our Fools. We think both of those greatly contribute to your last point about working hard, and also knowing when it’s time to take a break from the office. And we love that you miss Fools you work with when you take a vacation!

3. 5.0
    Former Intern, less than 1 year

Best internship I could ask for

Sep 30, 2014 - Anonymous Intern in Washington, DC
    Business Outlook

Pros

The Fools treat you like a member of a team, not just an intern. They teach you about all the operations of their business in detail. They invest a great deal in you as part of the company, no matter what level you are at.

Cons

I really can't think of any cons. I just wish they had more job openings more often.

4. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Working here is like a dream

Aug 23, 2021 - SEO Content Strategist in Arlington, VA
    Business Outlook

Pros

WFH options Open communication from management Excellent health insurance Competitive salary Incredible investing education. Seriously floored by how much I’ve accumulated simply by learning at work and using my employee benefit of access to premium services. Great coworkers (Our hiring process is not easy—and Fools collectively benefit from that, as we are surrounded by people who really want to be here.) CEO Tom Gardner is not only brilliant and forward-thinking, but he is a sincerely kind, caring person who is passionate about making others’ lives better. True servant leader. (And I’d say the exact same thing for co-founder David Gardner—I love David’s mentality of “investing for the world you want to see.”)

Cons

We are, at the time of this review, not as diverse as we need to be. (The company is currently hard at work to create more diversity and foster inclusion among Fools. Unfortunately there’s no magical overnight remedy, but during the time I have been here, there has been a consistent and significant focus on making improvements on this front.)

5. 4.0
    Current Employee

A great company, but with some serious issues

Jun 11, 2016 -
    Business Outlook

Pros

The people at The Motley Fool are among the best I have ever known, in any context. They are almost uniformly intelligent, capable, and generous with their time and knowledge. We Fools, as we are proud to call ourselves, live and breath our culture--you may call it drinking the Kool-Aid--but I would simply respond that, when something is as good as our culture, you can't help but wish that everyone could experience it.

Cons

During my entire time at the company, the Fool has been very consistent in hiring the intelligent, capable people that make it such a wonderful place to work. However, in a company that is staying relatively the same size, there are simply not enough challenging, career-advancing opportunities for all those intelligent, capable people. That said, the company discourages turnover, exacerbating a problem it created in the first place. There are other minor issues potential applications should be aware of, which I am sure are addressed in other reviews. That said, I believe most fall under the "No Place is Perfect for Everyone" doctrine.

8 people found this review helpful
  6. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great Place to Work With Lots of Opportunities

Jun 22, 2014 - Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA
    Business Outlook

Pros

The Motley Fool is known for its company culture which is supported by a great team of people. Events are planned monthly (or sometimes weekly) to bring Fools together and build collaboration and teamwork. While the company is laid back and allows employees flexibility to set their own hours, play games at work, and research and read as much as they want - there is a strong sense of purpose and employees are so dedicated to their projects that they truly play hard but work even harder.

Cons

If I wear a shirt with a collar and buttons people ask if I am going on a job interview.

3 people found this review helpful
  7. 4.0
    Current Employee

Great place to work, really cares about employees

Apr 29, 2018 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

This place has a lot of perks and really cares about employees. We have a team that reaches out to do a lot of random fun things. Unlimited vacation and Fools errand. Every month, someone gets a free 2 week vacation. Member services team sincerely cares about subscribers and a phone call can last hours.

Cons

I’ve noticed some things from several years of a pretty otherwise satisfied experience. People who are here for the perks really outnumber the ones who want to do good work. If you actually do want to get to the next level in your career, it’s hard to find support here. Some critical departments don’t seem to have senior leadership, and it shows through. It seems like many of the people who have been here awhile don’t seem to keep up with what’s going on outside the company.

3 people found this review helpful

Motley Fool Response

Thanks for taking time to share your experiences with our culture and Member Services team – we love those Fools, too! The Motley Fool’s Core Culture team is dedicated to helping employees succeed through programs like 1:1 coaching and 360 feedback, including managers and leadership. We’re always working to top our efforts, so your honest comments are appreciated. Fool On!

8. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Passionate and collaborative Fools who support each other

Nov 13, 2015 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

A casual dress code and the flexibility to work on couches, chaises, or treadmills around the office are just pixels on the Fool's monitor of perks. The unlimited vacation, health and wellness initiatives, free swag (apparel, foods, etc.), and epic company events are more key elements of the Fool's continually growing list of benefits. What keeps the Fool at the top is our people. Fools care about each other. We listen to each other, work together well, and want to see each other succeed. We're passionate about helping each other learn from mistakes and develop into better workers each day. If you want to learn something, you just have to ask. There are so many communication tools to choose from if you want to reach someone. In addition to the perks and people, the location is beautiful. Our building has wide, open windows and the space is open and collaborative. Old Town Alexandria has great food, easy access to the metro, and with our patio facing the Masonic Temple, the view is always a grand one.

Cons

We move fast, and sometimes that means we break things along the way. There are so many different projects and ideas being tested around the office, and it's up to you to make sure you stay on top of the updates. If you need a clear career path or thrive on job titles, you won't be happy at the Fool. While there are teams of Fools happy to help and guide you, your career path is ultimately up to you. It's not uncommon for a Fool to work on 10+ different teams in 10 years. Speaking of teams, they change often, and you have to be able to roll with the frequent changes. Flexibility and adaptability are musts, or you'll find yourself lost in the sea of fast-paced Foolishness.

7 people found this review helpful
  9. 4.0
    Current Employee

Nicest people you'll ever work with

Feb 4, 2011 -
    Business Outlook

Pros

I left a large company with better pay to come here because this is one of the few companies that doesn't count on annual layoffs to balance its books. What I noticed right away is how open senior management are with the staff. Once a month we huddle with the CEO and the CFO and get a complete status on the health of our company. Their honesty is astounding. The year I joined, times were a little lean, but rather than lay people off, they instituted a temporary salary freeze and postponed their very generous 401K contributions for a year. At the end of the year. they paid BACK the 401k contributions and gave everyone a 7% bonus! My co-workers are also very honest and not at all competitive. I always believed that what makes a company great is the willingness of employees to not just do their own job well, but to help others do their jobs well too. No one grills you over your mistakes, and no one ever feels threatened. Stuff flows from the top-down in any organization, so the respect that the guys at the top show us trickles down to all levels, and between departments. Support staff can't do enough to help. Our tech teams are top-notch, not hacks. The Fools tries really hard to be inclusive, always dreaming up clubs for employees to join. There's a strong gaming culture here (ping pong and video), but if that's not your thing, there's also a book club and a knitting circle! These things take place during business hours too, just like the fitness classes. It's not a shtick. This place is the real deal.

Cons

If you don't live in the immediate area, commuting can be a bear. That said, no one cares if you flex your hours around the morning and evening rush-hours. Salaries could also be a lot more commensurate with experience. Healthcare and 401k benefits make up for most of it though, and they try hard to help with metro and parking expenses.

4 people found this review helpful
  10. 5.0

A Truly Great Place to Work

Mar 15, 2017 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

The people make this company. Fools are collaborative, fun, creative, caring, and dedicated to our mission of helping the world invest better. Additionally, the work flexibility that's offered is unmatched and rooted in trust. Our company is mature and established, but still operates as a start up at times.

Cons

Fools love it here so much that there's very little turnover, meaning there's not obvious upward mobility. However, we're growing and I can see many opportunities opening up in the future.

4 people found this review helpful