Motorists Insurance Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.7
Rating Trends Rating Trends
David L. Kaufman

Pros
  • Family oriented, great place to work with good benefits (in 3 reviews)

• Great company with an awesome vision (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Mostly busy work; wasn't doing what I thought the recruiter explained to me (in 3 reviews)

• There were some "old school" employees who continued to do things the old way and were very reluctant to change (in 3 reviews)

1. "A recent hire to Motorists Insurance Group"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Motorists Insurance full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have worked for Motorists Insurance just over 10 months now; a great move. I have been welcomed into the organization as if I had just joined a large, extended family. It starts with the associate orientation – spending 2 ½ days getting to know the company, policies, and the new people around you. It goes by quick. The CEO even spends a considerable amount of time there getting to know everyone personally. Several of the other senior leaders were also available to chat with during this time.

The work environment is diverse in different areas of the main building. New open, collaborative work areas are being built on a couple of floors. The have an Intersections area in IT that is very cool with shared group work areas and big, comfy furniture for casual conversations. Even foosball and shuffle board tables. There was a ping pong tournament in the new gym area last fall.

There is something unique here as well in how communication is handled. They respect and encourage everyone to provide their opinion and people have a way to share it using ‘circular dialogue’. Takes a bit to get used to it, but it really works well.

It is an opportune time to be here at Motorists. They have a Vision of where they would like to be as an organization by 2021. This is a unique transformation of a company and how they will conduct business in the future. They recognize the challenges of making such a change, diligently working towards it every day. I am happy to be a contributor to this change and growth, and look forward to being a part of it for many years.

Cons

Parking for new people is in an outside lot. There is a covered parking area, but spots don't open up very frequently.

Advice to Management

Keep the communication flowing

Mar 15, 2017 – HR Business Partner

We are so glad to hear your experience at Motorists has been positive and you’ve benefitted from the open communication within the company. While the parking is outside, the price can’t be beat ... More

2. "Great Company to Work for"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Motorists Insurance full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I've been with Motorist's for 17 years. I love working here. Great company with an awesome vision. I've always felt they have my back!

Cons

None. I can't think of anything negative about this company.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

Dec 29, 2016 – The Motorists Insurance Group

Thank you for your review. We are so glad you love Motorists! Seventeen years is an amazing tenure.

3. "Underwriter"

I have been working at Motorists Insurance full-time

Pros

Transparent Leadership from top down
    Big brother does not look over your shoulder
    Authority to do my part (some exceptions like Work Comp)

Cons

Inferior products
    No online rating capability
    No/small analytics capabilities
    Territories are large or unmanageable
    Training for new employees is poor or lacking

Advice to Management

Moving in the right direction - keep going
    Listen to your field sales reps - they are boots on the ground and know their agencies

Dec 29, 2016 – The Motorists Insurance Group

Thank you for your review. We appreciate your feedback. Our transformation project is working hard to improve our product offerings, but change takes time. Like you mentioned, we are fortunate to ... More

5. "Visual Designer"

Pros

Amazing people, awesome culture and respectful values, excellent pay and benefits, tons of perks, and you are respected and appreciated.

Cons

No real cons to share.

Advice to Management

Management has done a great job making sure everyone feels very appreciated, and you almost feel honored to work here! I have never worked for a better company in the 18 years I have been in this industry, and I am pleased to say this is probably the place I will retire from.

Oct 13, 2016 – The Motorists Insurance Group

Thank you for your review. We are so happy you feel at home here. Many of our associates do choose to retire from Motorists and we are glad you see yourself following that path.

6. "Underwriting assistant"

I have been working at Motorists Insurance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Family oriented, great place to work with good benefits!

Cons

None everything is pretty good

Oct 13, 2016 – The Motorists Insurance Group

Thank you for your review. We are so glad you are happy at Motorists!

7. "Making strides for the future"

Current Employee - Bookkeeper
    Current Employee - Bookkeeper

I have been working at Motorists Insurance full-time

Pros

I have been with Motorists a little over a year and have not been happier with my decision to come work here. This company is making great strides in bringing itself into the 21st century and making itself relevant with today's generation with it's intern program and the company vision on where it will be in the next five years. The employees and management are welcoming and you get a small company feeling, where everyone knows you, even though it is a larger company.

Cons

The only downside I have experienced was perhaps being thrown into the fire without a full on-boarding training.

Advice to Management

My advice to the management would be to develop a concise on-boarding program for new employees so they are not overwhelmed.

Oct 13, 2016 – The Motorists Insurance Group

Thank you for your review. We are so glad to have you on board! Creating a consistent on-boarding experience for all associates is definitely a priority for us, and we appreciate your feedback.

8. "Consumer Service Rep. Specialist"

Current Employee - Consumer Service Representative, Specialist
    Current Employee - Consumer Service Representative, Specialist

I have been working at Motorists Insurance full-time

Pros

Joining the Motorists Insurance Group has been a great contribution to my professional business career. I have an ideal work-life balance afforded through the remote flexibility and technical strengths of the company. There are new challenges each day within my consumer support role that presents continued knowledge and growth. The organization has a great culture that attracts trustworthiness and positivity. Leadership teams are very much involved with associates, creating a genuine path of communication and a great understanding of real-life events.

Cons

I would recommend my workplace!

Oct 13, 2016 – The Motorists Insurance Group

Thank you for your review. We are so glad you enjoy working at Motorists. Work-life integration for all our associates is definitely a priority for us.

9. "Customer Care Specialist"

Current Employee - Customer Care Specialist
    Current Employee - Customer Care Specialist

Pros

The work environment makes coming to work enjoyable because of the people I work with and the dedication everyone has to their peers, management, and customers. At Motorists we create a relationship with our policy holders that makes our company have lasting impressions to ensure the best service that we can provide. Working with Motorists has shown me how a company should be ran because everyone around you is your family away from home.

Cons

Although I love everyone I work with, the only difficultly that I have come across is that while I'm working in the Murfreesboro location in Tennessee, my bosses (who I love dearly) are in the Columbus Ohio region. Communication is still accessible and easy, however sometimes it can be difficult to all be on the same page while we convert to one company.

Advice to Management

My managers do a phenomenal job relaying information when they are given anything that needs to be passed along. They encourage me to do my best work and boost my confidence level to a 10 during the work day with the compliments and words of affirmation. My only advice to them would be to come visit more often!

Oct 13, 2016 – The Motorists Insurance Group

Thank you for your review. We are so glad you enjoy working at Motorists and like your managers. While it can be difficult to achieve our goal as one company when we are spread out, we know that with ... More

"Claims"

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

Pros

Worked at an affiliated company. Great group of people to work with. Although some of the buildings are older they are well maintained.

Cons

Good old boy system still holds. Say they are transparent but this is not the case. Micro management is Way out of hand. Executive management still needs to work on their interaction with non-management employees. Stress level way too high.

Advice to Management

Take a good hard look at yourself. You are not the only insurance carrier looking for fresh young talent. Respect all your employees. There is a reason for the large turn over of employees in the last three years. Fortune 500 companies have found their greatest asset are their long term employees. Some who are older in age.
    You could be a great company if you really really listen and value your employees the way you say you do. Actions speak louder than words.

Aug 17, 2016 – The Motorists Insurance Group

Thank you for your candid feedback and it’s disappointing to learn you feel this way. The company takes great pride in creating and maintaining an environment where voices are heard and ideas are ... More

"Outdated"

Current Employee - Developer
    Current Employee - Developer

I have been working at Motorists Insurance (More than 3 years)

Pros

Most employees are great and most have had long tenures of 30+ years.

Cons

Significantly outdated in both business and IT processes. The company is in a large transition from being extremely outdated (and they know that) to a more modern organization. In that shift, key findings and realizations are being ignored and people are trying to hold onto to past processes and business methods.

Advice to Management

Embrace actual change even if it involves risk and isn't part of the current organizational change.

Sep 8, 2016 – HR Specialist

Thank you for your feedback- we agree that our associates are great! We are also proud of our investment in a group-wide technology platform and an Enterprise Excellence/Organizational Change ... More