Motorists Insurance Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.4
David L. Kaufman

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great culture, great work-life balance, a lot of opportunity for growth (in 4 reviews)

• Family oriented, great place to work with good benefits (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Going through a lot of changes as a company and people are not being treated fairly (in 2 reviews)

• No one understands their choices and people have begun to wonder if Motorists as they know it will even be around in a few years (in 2 reviews)

1. "Great place to work"

I have been working at Motorists Insurance full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great culture, great work-life balance, a lot of opportunity for growth. Educational benefits are good, management encourages professional development.

Cons

Going through a period of change. No longer offers pension plan. Other than that, the culture is really good, but some are resistant to change and see the new culture as a negative.

Advice to Management

Continue to be positive and speaking about the future of the company and the growth and new opportunities to come with the new technology we are implementing.

Nov 20, 2017 – Motorists Insurance Group

Thank you for your review! It is great to hear you are happy at Motorists. Work-life integration, education and technology are top priorities for us!

"I would agree with "Trending Downward""

I worked at Motorists Insurance full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Friendly employees and 7% match on 401k effective 2018.

Cons

Motorists is not the company it once was. It is no longer “family friendly”. Motorists recently affiliated with Brickstreet Insurance. Although this is being referred to as an “affiliation of equals” it is apparent that Brickstreet is in charge. Motorists is going through a lot of changes right now with rumors of additional personnel reductions. My advice to anyone seeking employment would be to steer clear for at least 6 months hopefully by then the company’s direction will be clearer.
    Some of the other reviews mentioned the pension. That has been disconnected although the 401k has been increased and some other perks were added.

Advice to Management

Please remember that your employees really are an important asset - let them know they are valued.

Nov 15, 2017 – Motorists Insurance Group

Thank you for your review. We appreciate your feedback about recent changes. While there is a lot of change happening at Motorists, our core values remain the same. Our associates are the heart of... More

"Anonymous"

I worked at Motorists Insurance full-time

Pros

Hard working people who took pride in doing a good job.

Cons

Poor leadership and direction. CEO only concerned with his legacy and how he would “grow the company”, Wasted money by traveling to California to observe other companies success. Also wasted money bringing in the entire company to Columbus to listen to his “vision”!

Advice to Management

Don’t reward the CEO by allowing him to leave the company as if he was instrumental with any success Motorists experienced.

Nov 14, 2017 – Motorists Insurance Group

Thank you for your review. We appreciate your feedback. Motorists does take pride in our hard-working associates – they are the heart of our organization.

Motorists performed extensive research... More

"Sr. Technical Clerk"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Motorists Insurance full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits ! Great work/life balance! Jeans on Friday is nice

Cons

Going through a lot of changes as a company and people are not being treated fairly.

Oct 10, 2017 – Motorists Insurance Group

Thank you for your review. It is great to hear you are happy at Motorists! The benefits you mentioned are just a few of many that make us a Top Workplace in Central Ohio. While there have been some... More

"Trending Down"

Pros

- Family culture
    - Friendly leadership
    - Flexible schedules

*All of which appear to be quickly eroding with the recent affiliation

Cons

--Motorists has essentially been acquired by Brickstreet Insurance although it's taboo to refer to it as something other than an "affiliation of equals"

--Little room for advancement given the priority on staff reduction and the fact that the new leadership has demonstrated that they already have "their guy" in mind for key positions

--Previous decisions to add additional companies to the group without actually integrating business processes or systems has left the organization bogged down and inefficient. Associates are now paying the price for what is a symptom of poor decisions over the last 20+ years. New leadership sees this as incompetence and, as a result, it's tough to shake the stigma associated with being a "Motorists guy".

Advice to Management

Morale is very low throughout the organization. Get through the organizational changes as fast as possible so you can start rebuilding trust with associates.

Culture is no longer a key differentiator as an employer and there's no shortage of opportunity in Columbus. You can expect your top talent to look elsewhere.

Sep 27, 2017 – Motorists Insurance Group

Thank you for your review. We appreciate your feedback, and understand that you are concerned by current organizational changes. Sometimes tough decisions are needed in the short-term in order to... More

6. "Great Place to work"

I have been working at Motorists Insurance full-time

Pros

Great Team environment, very transparent management team.

Cons

None great place to work

Aug 15, 2017 – HR Business Partner

Thanks for sharing your opinion!

7. "Great place!"

I have been working at Motorists Insurance full-time

Pros

I love the culture at Motorists!

Cons

None that I can think of.

Jul 7, 2017 – HR Business Partner

Thank you for your review. We are so glad you are among the many that appreciate the culture at Motorists!

"Developer"

Former Employee - Developer in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Developer in Columbus, OH

I worked at Motorists Insurance full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

You can almost get away with murder and not get fired

Cons

There is no real reason to stay here, unless you wish to murder someone

Advice to Management

Get a clue

Jun 19, 2017 – HR Business Partner

While we appreciate honest feedback from current and former associates, generally more constructive, specific and professional reviews enable us to improve. Our associates are proud of our work... More

"WORST PLACE EVER!!!!!!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Motorists Insurance full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The CEO is amazing and he has a pretty good vision, good benefits and some coworkers are genuinely friendly.

Cons

Management or lawsuits will be this company's demise (they've been sued by previous employees before). Managers lie to obtain you as an employee and are deceptive in their practices. They lie incessantly, so much so that you will start to believe it and question your sanity. They persuade you with benefits including advancement but that isn't true. Management has too much power they can help you advance or keep you in the same position for years. Most managers don't want you to leave and will make it difficult to get promoted. The new CEO "vision" encourages growth however management has no interest in employees growing. People will smile in your face while simultaneously working to get you in trouble. This is not a company for young people, the office culture is stale and rigid. I hate it here and I'm looking for a new job, like many others at Motorists.

Advice to Management

Embrace the vision or retire

Jul 7, 2017 – HR Business Partner

Ethical standards (integrity) is one of Motorists Core Values. It’s troubling to learn your perception has been to the contrary. We encourage you to access the resources available to all associates... More

10. "A recent hire to Motorists Insurance Group"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Motorists Insurance full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have worked for Motorists Insurance just over 10 months now; a great move. I have been welcomed into the organization as if I had just joined a large, extended family. It starts with the associate orientation – spending 2 ½ days getting to know the company, policies, and the new people around you. It goes by quick. The CEO even spends a considerable amount of time there getting to know everyone personally. Several of the other senior leaders were also available to chat with during this time.

The work environment is diverse in different areas of the main building. New open, collaborative work areas are being built on a couple of floors. The have an Intersections area in IT that is very cool with shared group work areas and big, comfy furniture for casual conversations. Even foosball and shuffle board tables. There was a ping pong tournament in the new gym area last fall.

There is something unique here as well in how communication is handled. They respect and encourage everyone to provide their opinion and people have a way to share it using ‘circular dialogue’. Takes a bit to get used to it, but it really works well.

It is an opportune time to be here at Motorists. They have a Vision of where they would like to be as an organization by 2021. This is a unique transformation of a company and how they will conduct business in the future. They recognize the challenges of making such a change, diligently working towards it every day. I am happy to be a contributor to this change and growth, and look forward to being a part of it for many years.

Cons

Parking for new people is in an outside lot. There is a covered parking area, but spots don't open up very frequently.

Advice to Management

Keep the communication flowing

Mar 15, 2017 – HR Business Partner

We are so glad to hear your experience at Motorists has been positive and you’ve benefitted from the open communication within the company. While the parking is outside, the price can’t be beat... More