Motorists Insurance Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
David L. Kaufman

Pros
  • Family oriented, great place to work with good benefits (in 3 reviews)

• Great company with an awesome vision (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Mostly busy work; wasn't doing what I thought the recruiter explained to me (in 3 reviews)

• There were some "old school" employees who continued to do things the old way and were very reluctant to change (in 3 reviews)

1. "A recent hire to Motorists Insurance Group"

I have been working at Motorists Insurance full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have worked for Motorists Insurance just over 10 months now; a great move. I have been welcomed into the organization as if I had just joined a large, extended family. It starts with the associate orientation – spending 2 ½ days getting to know the company, policies, and the new people around you. It goes by quick. The CEO even spends a considerable amount of time there getting to know everyone personally. Several of the other senior leaders were also available to chat with during this time.

The work environment is diverse in different areas of the main building. New open, collaborative work areas are being built on a couple of floors. The have an Intersections area in IT that is very cool with shared group work areas and big, comfy furniture for casual conversations. Even foosball and shuffle board tables. There was a ping pong tournament in the new gym area last fall.

There is something unique here as well in how communication is handled. They respect and encourage everyone to provide their opinion and people have a way to share it using ‘circular dialogue’. Takes a bit to get used to it, but it really works well.

It is an opportune time to be here at Motorists. They have a Vision of where they would like to be as an organization by 2021. This is a unique transformation of a company and how they will conduct business in the future. They recognize the challenges of making such a change, diligently working towards it every day. I am happy to be a contributor to this change and growth, and look forward to being a part of it for many years.

Cons

Parking for new people is in an outside lot. There is a covered parking area, but spots don't open up very frequently.

Advice to Management

Keep the communication flowing

Mar 15, 2017 – HR Business Partner

We are so glad to hear your experience at Motorists has been positive and you’ve benefitted from the open communication within the company. While the parking is outside, the price can’t be beat ... More

2. "Great Company to Work for"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Motorists Insurance full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I've been with Motorist's for 17 years. I love working here. Great company with an awesome vision. I've always felt they have my back!

Cons

None. I can't think of anything negative about this company.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

Dec 29, 2016 – The Motorists Insurance Group

Thank you for your review. We are so glad you love Motorists! Seventeen years is an amazing tenure.

"Chaotic, Failure to hire on and on"

Former Employee - Facility Engineer in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Facility Engineer in Columbus, OH

I worked at Motorists Insurance full-time

Pros

There aren't any since the change in leadership occurred.

Cons

Too many to list. Back stabbing co workers, liars and two faced people especially in management. Don't waist your time here and their service.

Advice to Management

Find a new line of work because you obviously don't know what to do here.

5. "Senior Claims Resolution Specialist"

Current Employee - Senior Claims Adjuster in Pitts, PA
    Current Employee - Senior Claims Adjuster in Pitts, PA

I have been working at Motorists Insurance (More than 5 years)

Pros

Nice People. Great CEO and decent benefits.

Cons

Pay isn't up to standard. Workload can be too high for type of claims. Not much room for advancement unless you are located in home office.

Advice to Management

None

Aug 4, 2016 – Motorists Insurance Group

Thank you for your review; we appreciate your feedback. Motorists continuously monitors and responds to market conditions to ensure we are a competitive and enjoyable place to work.

6. "Chaotic"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Motorists Insurance full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

People are genuinely caring, they have good benefits - pension plan, matching 401K, new on-site fitness facility, reduced hours on Fridays. [The health insurance is not good, but everything else is great}. They work hard to make sure you have the right tools (current PC/laptop, etc.) Management are approachable, there's a good chance the CEO will know you by name if you have been there more than a year.

Cons

There is a lot of change going on, things feel pretty chaotic. So much change that a number of good people have begun leaving. The company has a very specific "vision", however they are struggling with strategy, execution, and communication around work towards meeting that vision.. Management work a lot of overtime, they are so busy they often don't communitcate well to their team.

Advice to Management

There are a number of capable and qualified people who don't have a "management" title, they would love to help more - give them the chance to grow.

Aug 4, 2016 – Motorists Insurance Group

Thank you for your review. We appreciate any and all feedback from our associates and strive to make Motorists a competitive and enjoyable place to work. We are working to modernize the company, but ... More

7. "Commercial Lines"

Current Employee - Commercial Lines Underwriting Assistant in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Commercial Lines Underwriting Assistant in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Motorists Insurance full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Everyone is nice there. They are only growing as an organization. They will help you with what ever you want to accomplish in your career. They have their own building downtown Columbus. Their benefits are the best out there.

Cons

The pay isnt the best in the world. Their systems are very old. Everyone there for the most part is pretty old. Insurance isnt the most exciting thing in the world.

Advice to Management

They have great management. The CEO and president is looking to expand at an increasing rate. There is a lot of room to move up.

Aug 4, 2016 – Motorists Insurance Group

Thank you for your review. We appreciate any and all feedback from our associates and strive to make Motorists a competitive and enjoyable place to work. We are working to modernize the company, and ... More

8. "Underwriting"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH

Pros

Everyone is super nice and they really care about you learning.

Cons

Average age is definitely on the high side.

Advice to Management

Develop a training program before a massive amount of retirements happen

Aug 4, 2016 – Motorists Insurance Group

Thank you for your review. We appreciate any and all feedback from our associates and strive to make Motorists a competitive and enjoyable place to work. Motorists is currently expanding and ... More

"The Perfect Time To Be Here"

Current Employee - Software QA Analyst in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Software QA Analyst in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Motorists Insurance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I started as an IT intern in Commercial Lines. I went to a local university and my boss actually kept me on during my senior year of college. That internship turned into a full time job upon graduation. I then transitioned roles into a Software QA Analyst, which is my current position. I am on a project team. My experience at MIG has been very positive. Ever since I was a intern, I always felt welcomed and a part of the team. I came in not knowing a thing about insurance, but I found that everyone on my team was always ready to help, no matter how annoying I felt while line-driving them with question after question. I used to think that maybe I just got extremely lucky with the team I was placed on during my internship, but when I transitioned roles and to a new team, I found the same welcoming and helpful people on my new team. I think it is clear that culture is a huge factor here. HR really places an emphasis on hiring people who are energetic and realize that the biggest key to success is teamwork.
    This is a very exciting time to be apart of the MIG. As the entire company is undergoing to vision change, not only is the technology and work changing, but so is the culture and attitude. The senior management is very transparent with what is happening in the company and are sincerely engaged with what is happening on projects. We have a brand new innovative space (think Google) that influences collaboration and innovative thinking in maybe unconventional ways like over a Foosball game for example! There has been a huge initiative to shift not only the culture and attitude of MIG, but also the thinking as well. They are adopting the latest technologies and practices to stay ahead of the times.
    There is also a FREE 24/7 gym (maybe the best perk :P)
    All in all, this is a fantastic place to work. Typically, I find the people who have negative remarks about this company are ones who may have worked here prior to this revived vision and culture change went into effect or people who can't buy into the cutting edge future and culture happening here at MIG.

Cons

If there were any areas of improvement that I have noticed during my 1.5 years here it would be the following:

1) Internships - I am aware that my experience may not reflect the experience of internships in other areas of the company. Historically, internship experiences varied vastly between functional areas (departments). However, I know there was a large effort this past Summer to change that and make everyone's experience relatively the same. Like most transitions in all companies, it's a work in progress, but the fact that it was recognized and is being addressed is a promising sight to see.

2) Divide of Cultures - As previously mentioned, we at MIG, are undergoing a company transformation. It is very obvious that there are two different cultures apparent now. There is the old culture where people want to sit at their desk, keep their head down until their assigned work for the day is done, then leave. They aren't interested in much else aside from that. Then there is the new culture where many, but not all, have bought into this idea that coming to work doesn't have to be so mundane and monotonous. They want to collaborate and be apart of something so exciting. They see how their work directly impacts the company and the difference they, as an employee, can make.

3) All perks and benefits are great except for the Health Insurance. I will stay on my parents as long as I can. It is a high deductible plan here, which I realize is probably the industry norm now, but I personally am not a fan of it.

Advice to Management

Continue to be transparent and push forward with the innovative and collaborative energy that has been so strongly exuded for the past couple of years. Great things are in store for this company with that attitude.

Aug 4, 2016 – Motorists Insurance Group

Thank you for your review. We appreciate any and all feedback from our associates, and strive to make Motorists a competitive and enjoyable place to work. As you noted, we are in the process of ... More

"Inefficient business structure"

Current Employee - Underwriting Assistant in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Underwriting Assistant in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Motorists Insurance full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If you are looking for a fast paced environment with no time to breath this it.

Cons

Very inefficient way of doing business. All staff are overworked and stressed, while managers remain disconnected from the workforce.

11. "Solid Employer"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH

Pros

Being in the industry for 18 years, I’ve had the benefit of seeing and experiencing some very poorly run companies- Motorists is the best employer I’ve worked for. Ethically Motorists is very strong and there is a lot of comradery with the staff-they work well together. Bottom-up decision making is the norm and represents a lot of perspectives. The leadership team at Motorists genuinely cares about associates and does a great job communicating about business results and progress. Parking is cheap, benefits are good, flex schedules are helpful.

Cons

Decision making is very slow when you involve so many people in the process; don’t be so afraid to make a decision. As a result of teaming, workloads are very high in parts of the business- react quicker and offer support. Do a better job prioritizing initiatives- everything cannot be critical.

Advice to Management

No one expects perfection- react more quickly.

Aug 4, 2016 – Motorists Insurance Group

Thank you for your review. We appreciate any and all feedback from our associates, and strive to make Motorists a competitive and enjoyable place to work. While at Motorists we value input from ... More