KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Motorola Mobility

Is this your company?

Motorola Mobility

Add a Review

Motorola Mobility Employee Reviews about "lenovo"

Updated Aug 24, 2020

4.2
Motorola Mobility President Sergio Buniac (no image)
Sergio Buniac
Pros
  • "Latest technologies, work life balance(in 195 reviews)

• "High Salary , Nice Work Environment(in 174 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Lots of uncertainty because of senior management decision(in 107 reviews)

• "Acquired by Lenovo, moved to China(in 81 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Motorola Mobility and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "lenovo"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0

Good company

Jan 30, 2019 - Business Systems Analyst
      Business Outlook

Pros

Changing priorities and challenges

Cons

Lenovo s management style is not for US peoples

2. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 8 years

Good place to work

Aug 24, 2020 - Advisory Engineer in Chicago, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good to place to work with talented people, located in Chicago downtown

Cons

large layoffs were happened after merging to Lenovo

3. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 8 years

Changed Motorola

Jun 10, 2020 - Principal Software Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Motorola had best working environment, and Engineering atmosphere. A lot of smart engineers were working there, and distributed in all kinds of domain. This brought the possibilities to resolve even the hardest issue they met, whatever it's from hardware, software, even vendor.

Cons

After Lenovo acquired Motorola, everything changed. Not a good place to stay any more.

4. 4.0

Great Tech company

Jul 2, 2020 - Advisory Engineer in Chicago, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

Its tech company, from bottom to mid level, everyone gets engaged. Trust and freedom is given for anyone and everyone ready to take up the challenge

Cons

Its owned and managed by Lenovo, it needs to align with Lenovo's overall strategy

5. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Mobile Phone

Aug 9, 2020 - Tech Manager
      Business Outlook

Pros

Excellent work place and good management

Cons

Acquired by Lenovo, moved to China

6. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 5 years

Broken Trust with Employees

Oct 17, 2019 - Mechanical Engineer in Chicago, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

I can't think of anything good, it is a toxic environment.

Cons

I worked for Motorola/Lenovo for about 5 years. I started in the office in another country where I am a citizen. I was given the opportunity by Lenovo to transfer to the US on an L1 VISA program sponsored by them. I accepted their relocation and sponsorship offered to move from my home country to the US where I wanted to work and live long term anyway. I sold most everything I had and shipped the rest to my new place in the US. Once in the US, Lenovo started the process of naturalization through the immigration process. Very thankful for this opportunity, but things took a turn for the worse. Six months into my new work life in the US, Lenovo had ANOTHER mass round of layoffs impacting myself but the rest of my team. Lenovo dropped the immigration process and sponsorship and now that I was only on an L1 VISA no other company could sponsor me and I had 2 months to return to my home country with no assistance from Lenovo. They turned their back on me and many of my other co-workers in the same situation giving us no options to stay in the US. With little money to my name I almost lost everything all the while Lenovo just says goodbye, sorry our business needs have changed. Lenovo's business needs and leadership change every six months trying to pivot to the next innovation, but they have lost a valuable resource, Employee Trust. Moral is low, the future is dim, and leaders leave-taking their golden parachute severance with them. You may think my situation is unique, but there were at least eight others going through the same hellish ordeal. I would avoid working with any company that treats its employees with this lack of respect and trust.

4 people found this review helpful
    7. 4.0

Enjoy working here

Jul 30, 2019 - BSA Analyst in San Jose, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Exciting and challenging over the years. Good benefits and salary.

Cons

Change in culture after purchases by Google & Lenovo, but things are smoothing out.

8. 2.0
      Current Employee

Software Engineer

May 27, 2016 - Senior Software Engineer in Chicago, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

Some very bright people and the opportunity to work on the latest technologies. The facilities in the Merchandise Mart are top-notch and very well located (despite the never-ending complaints of those resistant to change). Compensation and benefits are decent and work-life balance is excellent in my team.

Cons

The company is not competitive, losing money and Lenovo's strategy so far hasn't been paying off. They have been cutting costs everywhere and accelerating the development cycle to make us launch a bunch of phones every quarter. As an engineer I can foresee the quality going down in the lower and mid tiers which I believe is going to worsen the situation. There is no feeling of job security as no matter how good one's performance review, they might get axed like the many people last August. Employees are feeling that and the motivation to work hard is hampered. In addition, too much red tape, inertia, and fear to take risks (or non-willingness to commit resources) impedes innovation and Motorola is just becoming a parts integrator for Lenovo: picking parts from manufacturers and software from Google and putting it all together. The company is in a very dire situation. The smartphone market is highly commoditized and saturated in almost every geo. Apple and Samsung have the lion's share and we are condemned to be left with the bits and pieces. Our situation in China is disastrous and the inflation/recession in Brazil is killing us.

3 people found this review helpful
    9. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

I wouldn't get too comfortable.

Nov 2, 2016 - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

Work-life balance is better than at most places, especially agencies or consulting shops. Opportunity to contribute to products that are often great. Benefits are good-to-great. Office space still has the cool Google veneer. If you prefer a slow, somewhat glacial pace, you've come to the right place. Location (Merch Mart) is hard to beat, unless you're used to working in Libertyville. Talented engineers and some other employees who really believe in the brand. Excellent severance package, at least for now.

Cons

Brand itself is practically dead. Google's sale to Lenovo practically guaranteed that. Marketing organization has lost most of it talented people and the marketing (and direct) planning and execution are laughable. Inter-department collaboration and communication is usually low, bordering on non-existent. After two brutal rounds of layoffs since 2015, morale is terrible. Many people managers are unskilled and/or uninterested. The writing is on the wall for Moto as a brand and continuing attrition is likely to lead to an acceleration of the talent drain. Senior management seems in over its head, zig-zagging from strategy to strategy, in the post-Osterloh and post-Wicks era. There are several layers of "Moto lifers" still aboard, whose commitment is to keeping a low profile and keeping a job, not doing good or interesting work.

1 person found this review helpful
    10. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Was a Good Company

Jun 2, 2016 - Anonymous Employee in Fort Worth, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good company with great products. The designs of the products were truly outstanding, rugged, and easy to use. The company brand was great as well. I was always proud to say I worked at Motorola Mobility. Leadership in the beginning, when owned by Google, was also fantastic.

Cons

Now that the company is owned by Lenovo, I'm seeing changes in the products, not state-of-the-art, not really eye-catching, cannot find a compelling reason to buy a MM phone versus a competitor. Also, once Lenovo took over, it was clear that the business would all be relocated to China. Too bad another American Industry Icon is going way.

3 people found this review helpful