Motorola Solutions Reviews | Glassdoor

Motorola Solutions Chairman & CEO Gregory Q. Brown
Gregory Q. Brown

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Lack of team culture and work life balance (in 24 reviews)

• Senior management are too focused on short term profits (wooing the shareholders and bean-counters) (in 33 reviews)

"Short and not so sweet."

Former Employee - Production Planner in Schaumburg, IL
    Former Employee - Production Planner in Schaumburg, IL

I worked at Motorola Solutions full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Co-workers were great people to work with and very helpful.

Cons

Mandatory and unpaid overtime. Management needs lots of work, they are very unorganized and the only solution to them is work more and more hours. Take advantage of saleried personel.

Advice to Management

Look for solutions to issues. Work harder not longer and get the resources you need.

"Still dying a slow death"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Schaumburg, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Schaumburg, IL

I worked at Motorola Solutions full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The layoff package was more generous than many of the regular benefits.

Cons

Where do I even start? Earlier reviews about the toxic work environment and a "good ol' boys" network reminiscent of Mad Men are accurate. Very cliqueish. Racism and sexism are alive and well here. If you come from any professional environment outside of Motorola, watch out. Longtime employees won't see you as a true Motorolan, whatever that means.

Stingy pay raises that barely keep up with inflation, if at all. Salary freezes. Quarterly layoffs. No accountability, either from management or peers. No trust. Very much a "no snitching" environment. Team meetings, when management pretends to care enough to hold one, are so quiet because employees learned a long time ago that their opinions aren't valued.

For a long time, Motorola Solutions has cut its way to profitability through layoffs, closures, and questionable financial practices, like stock buybacks. This has increased earnings per share, which investors like. What happens when the stock buybacks end and sales still aren't good? Don't be around when that happens.

Advice to Management

Hope you have a nice landing spot once Greg Brown cashes in his golden parachute.

"Look elsewhere"

Former Employee - Senior Product Manager in Plantation, FL
    Former Employee - Senior Product Manager in Plantation, FL

I worked at Motorola Solutions full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Market leader in a very niche market

Cons

Dying technology and company with low growth potential

"Is Motorola the next Nortel?"

Current Employee - Senior Director in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Director in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Motorola Solutions full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great 85 year history and was the conglomerate of the day. Some very good engineering talent and hugely loyal workers. People have been here for 40+ years and many for 30+ years. If you are in a senior position, you get treated well, e.g. specialised parking based on your grade, stock, and if you are very senior, you can use one of the 2 private jets!

Cons

Over the past decades, it has sold off almost all its businesses. Motorola mobility made sense as Apple and Samsung were the only real choice left for a mobile phone, but why sell the enterprise business to Zebra? The enterprise business (the old symbol business) was the growth engine. Now Motorola solutions is propping its share price up by cutting costs rather than growing. A real shame to a company that was a company to be reckoned with year ago.

Advice to Management

Sell the company to people who know how to grow a business.

"Sr. Program Manager"

Former Employee - Senior Program Manager in Schaumburg, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Program Manager in Schaumburg, IL

I worked at Motorola Solutions full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great opportunities for personal advancement
    Flexibility in work schedules
    Top workstation technology and software
    Very close to where I lived

Cons

Compared to Cellular Sectors (Mobile or Infrastructure), Solutions was like going back in time by about 25 years
    We kiddingly referred to Solutions as "That 70's Show"
    If you weren't one of the Good Old Boys, your future was very limited
    If you were part of the Traditional Retirement Plan in the early 2000's, there was no way you could make it to the last 3 years where the "meat" of your finding existed. I know of no one who made it past age 61 - you were targeted for layoffs or poor reviews.
    Speaking of reviews, Solutions used a review system where your value was established by personnel who didn't even know you.
    Motorola stopped pursuing patent applications in the early 2000's - really stupid going from #2 to nothing
    The CEO can only retain his value by continually selling off as much of the company as he can

Advice to Management

Get a CEO that actually wants to grow the company

"Embarrassing"

Former Employee - Senior Director in Schaumburg, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Director in Schaumburg, IL

I worked at Motorola Solutions full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great History a few good people left, but no longer has any innovation or ethics.
    Great work life balance, good compensation and bonus program

Cons

So many to list, but the main one is the company is outright embarrassing. Doesn't manufacture anything anymore. Primarily deals with public safety products, which are designed and manufactured in countries that don't really like us that much. Oversea's software development for our public safety equipment!! Seriously? On top of the fact that most of its business is government money. I hope the new political administration looks into this, because its putting our first responders in harms way.

Advice to Management

Management knows exactly what they are doing. CEO was a puppet for many years of Icahn. Now EVERY VP are puppets for him. They all have the same vision. Reduce to drive stock up and get good bonuses and sell it off when some fool wants to purchase the company.

"Company is losing it's way"

Former Employee - Director Business Development in Centennial, CO
    Former Employee - Director Business Development in Centennial, CO

I worked at Motorola Solutions (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good pay and benefits, I have to add words to meet the 5 word minimum but there is really nothing else positive to say about the company.

Cons

No growth, over 3 years of continuous layoffs. Poorly run business with no direction or strategy. CTO office has been gutted, new senior management is running the company by the numbers with no regard for customers or employees. If you are over 45 and highly paid, you have a target on your back. Management has stated that they can replace one older employee with two fresh outs. They just cannot replace the product and customer knowledge that goes out the door. Honestly, glad they laid me off. Took the package and got a better job.

Advice to Management

Fire yourselves and the board. Customers are flocking to the competition, organic growth is negative as is margin growth.

"Backstabbing counterproductive colleagues"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Motorola Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexibility to work at home. I like my manager a lot. I wish I had more positive things to say but I am at a loss.

Cons

I have never run into more combative, backstabbing, self serving people on my life. I cannot understand why these people cannot grasp that we are on the same team and want the same outcomes. Every encounter with them is painful. There is no accountability or responsibility. Every man for himself and to hell with the rest of you. Too many people going behind your back; nothing is getting accomplished. Very toxic environment.

Advice to Management

Your focus on "employee experience" is laughable. HR wants that for HR. You are so busy patting yourselves on the back, that you can't see how employees are really feeling. I don't appreciate foregoing an increase next year because our CFO misrepresented our situation to Wall Street. Bet he won't lose his bonus.

"Cutting their way to "success". The only tool in sr managements box is "cost reduction" i.e. layoffs"

Pros

Decent pay if you're still working there.

Cons

The annual layoffs are getting larger for US based employees.

Advice to Management

GROW the business. Keep US workers. Quit the constant layoffs. It's deeming and incredibly demoralizing.

"Do not join this company"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Schaumburg, IL
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Schaumburg, IL

I worked at Motorola Solutions full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

It is going down and down, but will be shown by management as being "up and up"

Cons

This is a company with reverse pyramid. In this company you will find 20 VP's, 40 Senior Directors, 120 Directors, 280 Senior Manager, 1200 Managers followed by 1000 employees. When they have to cut people all folks at the tops will be protected, and anyone doing the real work will be let go. Ninety percent of managers or senior managers do not have any college degree (at the most associate) and cannot either provide technical direction or do anything for people growth. This company is all about "shares buy back" to boost "artificially" stock price, increase dividends, sell businesses whenever nothing works.

Advice to Management

One engineer at the bottom working 18 hrs needs 30 more managers to report and send status. Pls hire more people at the top for power point slides and all the craps.

Showing 86 of 1,429 reviews