Motorola Solutions Reviews | Glassdoor

4.0
Motorola Solutions Chairman & CEO Gregory Q. Brown
Gregory Q. Brown

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Managers I worked with respected the work / life balance (in 173 reviews)

• Not allowed to work from home unless there is a critical situation or special occasion (in 57 reviews)

Cons

1. "Software Engineer (GTP)"

I worked at Motorola Solutions full-time

Pros

Good basic salary. Salary is revised every quarter. Good leader.

Cons

Too less supervision. During my time there were no training at all even I entered as Graduate Trainee Program.

2. "Technician"

I worked at Motorola Solutions full-time

Pros

Pretty good pay and benefits

Cons

Company is shrinking rather than growing

3. "Not too corporate minded yet"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Birmingham, AL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Birmingham, AL

I have been working at Motorola Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Encourage innovation
    Recognition programs available for every employee
    Growing business

Cons

No HSA help on High Deductible Health Plan
    Limited advancement potential

Advice to Management

One size doesn't fit all

"Fantastic Company to Work For, With a Major Catch"

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Motorola Solutions full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I've been working for Motorola Solutions for 6 years now, initially as a co-op and then later on as a full-time employee. In both employment statuses, I've worked the same position and I continue to work in the same position. One of the best parts of working for this company is it's mission: you're helping people be their best in the moments that matter. Stated differently, you're helping public safety do their job better. Nearly every day, through company newsletters or simply through conversation, we hear about how our designs and products make a difference in the world. It's honestly something to be proud of.

In addition to all of that, they offer competitive employee benefits. Their PTO offering is higher than what I've heard about through other engineering firms. The health insurance is about the same as what I've heard through other engineering companies. Although I am a single unmarried male, so my health needs are minimal when compared to others.

If you're a young professional interested in working for Motorola Solutions, then I would say that it is absolutely a place worth considering. Historically, Motorola Solutions has been an "older" company. That certainly had its benefits that I am a huge proponent of (the knowledge-base was immense), but it also wasn't the most appealing to young professionals. We've now grown our younger work force and I'm looking forward to see what their influence will be. Working in the downtown office is also a huge perk for young professionals.

There is also a mixture of reviews on Glassdoor about this company. Some are unfortunately negative while others are positive and exciting. This is because the company was in a very volatile state a few years ago and unfortunately had to go through several layoffs. I somehow remained employed throughout all of that while others did not. For the past 1-1.5 years, we have remained stable and a large, tangible momentum is present throughout the company.

Cons

The best thing about working for Motorola Solutions is also a part of its most negative aspect: working for public safety customers. What this ultimately results in is having a very niche, very specific technical skill set. I work as an RF engineer within Motorola. After being in the same position for 6 years, I am in a state where I'd like to see what is next. For my very specific case, any other positions that are viable to me do not interest me. I enjoy what I do right now but I simply don't have the desire to work in the positions beyond what I'm doing right now. They simply don't interest me. If I look at opportunities that are outside of the company, and I want to continue living in the same location, there aren't too many positions available in other companies. I would very likely have to move in order to find a job that I'd be happy with. And I'm not ready to do that.

Keep in mind that my scenario is specific to me. My advice to anyone looking to get hired at Motorola is to be sure that positions available beyond what you'd initially be hired for are of interest to you. As you start to develop your technical skill set, then a lot of it will very likely only be transferable within other positions of Motorola or other companies that deal with public safety customers. You may possibly be able to work for cellular companies or an indoor RF communications company. However, the technical skill set isn't as close of a match. That's the story for RF engineers at least. If you're getting hired for software development, marketing, finance, etc., then I don't believe you'll be in the same situation. I can't confidently comment on that though since that is outside of my field. If you're willing to move to other parts of the US, then you'll also likely be okay as you'd be able to find other opportunities elsewhere more easily.

In addition, my salary is slightly lower than the national average. I have a Master's of Science in Electrical Engineering and my pay is slightly below the national average. However, I did not attempt to negotiate that when I was initially hired.

Advice to Management

Always remain open-minded and approachable. If an employee wants to explore their options within other parts of the company, even if their interests are in a completely different field, support them in this venture. It can possibly be a benefit for both the individual employee as well as the company as a whole. Keeping good talent within the company should always be a high priority.

Also, I strongly feel that there needs to be more open communication between different engineering departments. It very often felt like each engineering department was inside of it's own little bubble and the other engineering departments had no idea what others were doing. In my opinion, this is a huge disadvantage for the company. There should be an open highway of communication between engineers, even if they're in somewhat unrelated fields. For example, if I am an RF engineer, I think it'd be really interesting to know what software developers are currently working on, even if its from a high level. And it could be done vice versa: developers may want to know what I'm working on. This is so that we can all learn from one another, see what other departments are doing, and be mindful of opportunities outside of our current role. Unfortunately, I don't believe Motorola has that as of today.

5. "Motorola Solutions Experience"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plantation, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plantation, FL

I have been working at Motorola Solutions full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Huge technical capacity, great passion, and a commitment to drive solutions through the entire process for high quality. The team product, engineering, sales due focus on quality customer based solutions.

Cons

The company has done a really good job transforming itself over the last few years , but the communication between the major parts of the company is not yet reach the lower level management. Also the middle management is still struggling to appropriately coordinate the lower level strategies with the newer elements of the company. These struggles are transformation/growing pains and should work themselves out in the next year or two.

Advice to Management

Company Leadership and per organization leadership need to spend more time deciding the rules of engagement / strategic coordination. This includes clear cross goal setting, etc. Then these goals need to be clearly communicated to the teams. Unaligned strategic activities can be very frustrating to highly motivated / driven teams.

6. "Try to be human and still effective improving cutting edge technology for your SaaS"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Motorola Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

People are great masters at their domain. They treat you good and make work very interesting.

Cons

Middle and close to upper management is in disarray

Advice to Management

get it together when it comes to taking advantage of improving cutting edge technology but don't kill any synergy that you already have within your current working culture.

7. "Motorola MR"

I have been working at Motorola Solutions full-time

Pros

Great product support and staff

Cons

Internal support lacked proper organization.

8. "Lots of changes"

Current Employee - Product Owner in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Product Owner in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Motorola Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great group of people, flexible hours, work from home 2 days a week, lots of opportunity and people who want to see you succeed

Cons

Change means ambiguity, also the pay could be better

Advice to Management

None for now, I am waiting ri see what it looks like when the dust settles

9. "Distinguished Member of the Technical Staff"

Former Employee - Distinguished Member of the Technical Staff in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Distinguished Member of the Technical Staff in New York, NY

I worked at Motorola Solutions full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Treats and pays employees well

Cons

Company leadership sometimes lack vision

10. "Technician"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Motorola Solutions full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Excellent place to work. Great People.

Cons

It's all good, everything is great here

Showing 510 of 1,559 reviews