Motorola Solutions Reviews | Glassdoor

1,248 reviews

Full-time Part-time

1,248 Employee Reviews

Pros
Cons
  • Work life balance is a bit hard to find because the better you manage your projects, you will be rewarded with more projects (in 23 reviews)

• Senior management are too focused on short term profits (wooing the shareholders and bean-counters) (in 32 reviews)

"MSI - IL"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL

I worked at Motorola Solutions full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Company is going through transition which may be good opportunity to transfer to different departments. Standard corporate benefits.

Cons

Nepotism, Pay is not good - fair.

"Great chance to make an impact and progress in your career"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Motorola Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

One of the most underrated benefits of working for Motorola is the ability to make a large impact at the company. Especially right now, the company as the company is going through major changes in its products and culture. If you have good ideas, you're given the freedom and support necessary to enact those changes, even if you're relatively young in your career.
    The other major benefit is career mobility. If you do good work, you're provided a ton of opportunities to move around the company, so you're not just locked into a single career path.

Cons

Traditionally Motorola hasn't had the youngest or most fun culture. When I started, it seemed like most of the people working around me had been at the company longer than I'd been alive. But that's changed dramatically over the last few years as the company has been shifting towards providing software and solutions.
    The extreme career flexibility also means a lack of defined structure around your career in some ways. You need to be proactive about managing your career path as there often isn't a traditional vertical path outlined for you.

Advice to Management

Stay committed to the culture change. It's changing in all the right directions, but still has bit to go.

3. "Great place to start working career"

Pros

Very good work/life balance, Not too much pressure, Not too much responsibility

Cons

Salary increases only when threatening to leave the job

Advice to Management

Care more about your teams, less about the company because people makes company great...

5. "Sales Guy"

I have been working at Motorola Solutions full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Customers we work with are first responders and public safety agencies. The work we do supports critical systems.

Cons

The project deadlines are stressful at times.

6. "Great culture but rigid sales approach"

I have been working at Motorola Solutions full-time

Pros

Stable company, market leader, solid reinvestment strategies for growth. Tons of resources to throw at problems - you're never acting as a lone wolf.

Cons

Rigid approaches to sales; methodologies are sound but don't work in every market. Need more flexibility in relation to customer processes.

Advice to Management

Keep an open mind

7. "security analyst"

I have been working at Motorola Solutions full-time

Pros

Great coworkers, great supervisors and staff

Cons

lower end of the salary spectrum.

"Is Motorola the next Nortel?"

Current Employee - Senior Director in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Director in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Motorola Solutions full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great 85 year history and was the conglomerate of the day. Some very good engineering talent and hugely loyal workers. People have been here for 40+ years and many for 30+ years. If you are in a senior position, you get treated well, e.g. specialised parking based on your grade, stock, and if you are very senior, you can use one of the 2 private jets!

Cons

Over the past decades, it has sold off almost all its businesses. Motorola mobility made sense as Apple and Samsung were the only real choice left for a mobile phone, but why sell the enterprise business to Zebra? The enterprise business (the old symbol business) was the growth engine. Now Motorola solutions is propping its share price up by cutting costs rather than growing. A real shame to a company that was a company to be reckoned with year ago.

Advice to Management

Sell the company to people who know how to grow a business.

"CSM"

Current Employee - CSM in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - CSM in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Motorola Solutions full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Employees are treated with respect; do a good job and you will be rewarded. Working remotely is an added benefit. Lots of room to move due to employees leaving.

Cons

The old adage "do more with less" is certainly overused at MSI. Layoffs/buyouts are a common practice. Lots of room to move due to employees leaving.

Advice to Management

Please let the employees keep the tools, resources and people to continue to be best in class. Please don't chase stock price at the detriment of the corporation.

"Business"

I have been working at Motorola Solutions full-time

Pros

Market leaders, strong technology and products. Work remotely

Cons

No Growth, continuous reorganizations and minimal advancement opportunities

"Great Company-Middle Mgmt Pay is low, but no one is leaving is a poor HR approach to Compensation"

Current Employee - AREA SALES MANAGER in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - AREA SALES MANAGER in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Motorola Solutions full-time

Pros

Great History and Future. Freedom to make decisions. Given large responsibilities. Well respected amongst the customer base. Strong Sales Organization

Cons

Compensation is below market at the mid level Mgr's, Directors, and TVP. For the level of responsibility we are given and the business we run everyday successfully its a shame. The mindset is we dont need to address it because no one is leaving. There is no line to take my role and the pay difference between the next levels is so close, it doesnt make it worth what you have to give up. Also, as we continue to downsize, opportunities to grow professionally are shrinking. More just rolled into existing Upper mgmt responsibilities and they are compensated well for it.

Advice to Management

Cutbacks are to the quick now and what you are asking people to do with less support and help for no addtional comp is pushing too many of the "people who get it done" out the door. Focus on investing back into the core of our company, the people. For Sales it starts and ends with Compensation.

Showing 1,248 of 1,327 reviews