Mount Royal University Reviews in Calgary, AB | Glassdoor

Mount Royal University Calgary Reviews

Updated May 17, 2017

Calgary, AB, Canada Area (Canada)

4.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Mount Royal University President David Docherty
David Docherty

Pros
  • Great benefits, great work-life balance (in 4 reviews)

• MRU is offering some important professional training for an industry that greatly benefits from professional development (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Working contract hours also means more time in-class and more time marking than full-time faculty (in 3 reviews)

• Senior Management of the Faculty of Cont Ed (in 8 reviews)

1. "Part Time Faculty"

Current Employee - Faculty in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Faculty in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I have been working at Mount Royal University (More than 10 years)

Pros

A very supportive environment.
    Small class size.
    Empowerment

Cons

PhD now required to get on full time

2. "Innovative Program Offerings"

Current Employee - Program Officer in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Program Officer in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I have been working at Mount Royal University full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Diverse growing Post Secondary with niche programs and relatively small leadership team. Rated best post secondary in Calgary, and highly rated by students.

Cons

Considered by some to be the "other" university in Calgary. Some in the community do not know who we are since we transitioned from a College to a University. Not enough contact or support from our alumni.

3. "Good place"

Current Employee - Educational Assistant in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Educational Assistant in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I have been working at Mount Royal University (More than a year)

Pros

flexible hours, temporary, can choose own working times

Cons

does not pay enough, $12.20 per hour

5. "Research Assistant"

Current Employee - Research Assistant in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Research Assistant in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I have been working at Mount Royal University full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very flexible, amazing staff/team, always welcoming and encouraging of new and creative ideas.

Cons

Nothing really that I can think of.

"Continuing Education needs some help"

Former Contractor - Instructor in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Former Contractor - Instructor in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I worked at Mount Royal University as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

MRU is offering some important professional training for an industry that greatly benefits from professional development. It was exciting to be a part of its new offering. Working with adult learners was (mostly) very gratifying. They came from all walks of life and occupations, and their contributions to the class made it all the richer.

Cons

The Continuing Education team I was dealing with was amazingly disorganized and could never get their act together from one session to the next. There were flaws in the original conception of the course, which they addressed several sessions in (introducing actual grading, for example), yet they failed to make allowances for this extra time either in instructor compensation or time allowed. They were also hiring instructors that had only graduated from the program themselves, and who had very few years of experience in the field they were teaching.

Advice to Management

The Continuing Education team should get its act together. You are on to a good thing, but you need to treat the instructors like the professionals they are … or at least that they should be. Don't degrade what could be a very fine program with newbie instructors lacking both the teaching and real-world work experience required to elevate your offering.

7. "Group Leader"

Former Employee - Summer Camp Group Leader in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Summer Camp Group Leader in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I worked at Mount Royal University (Less than a year)

Pros

Good and flexible work I really enjoyed working here. Everyone was upbeat and positive.

Cons

The commute from N.W. calgary to the university is fairly long. There should be a train stop build there.

Advice to Management

None

8. "Good opportunity"

Former Employee - Support Staff in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Support Staff in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I worked at Mount Royal University (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are lots of opportunities for professional growth, through educational opportunities in Cont Ed or in a degree granting program. The Staff Association has funds for helping continuing education.

Cons

There is some significant differences in work loads between departments with matching job titles. This leads to interdepartmental struggles instead of more cooperation.

Advice to Management

consistent job descriptions and employee expectations will reduce the appearance of favouritism.

9. "Great Community"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I worked at Mount Royal University as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of support from other staff. Strong connections across departments. Flexible hours.

Cons

Lack of recognition at times.

Advice to Management

None

10. "Lifeguard/ Swim Instructor"

Current Employee - Lifeguard/Swim Instructor in Mount Royal University, AB (Canada)

I have been working at Mount Royal University part-time

Pros

It is such a family at the pool. We have at least 2 times a month that we have get togethers outside of work. Life long friendships are definitely created at the pool! The shifts at the pool are great, you can always find shifts that work around YOUR schedule not the other way around!

Cons

You always want to visit the pool, whether its to see your co workers or go swimming.You'll be in the middle of studying and immediately decide you have to visit your pool friends!

"Being a part of a Good thing!"

Current Employee - Wellness Services Administrator in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Wellness Services Administrator in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I have been working at Mount Royal University full-time

Pros

It's a great place to work - a lot of support to do innovative and creative things! Always important to support students through their journey in post-secondary. MRU isn't only about high academic standards - it's about being a good citizen in our community! MRU's commitment to Indigenize the campus - takes strong leadership and I appreciate what it takes to influence change through education

Cons

Like all post-secondaries - the ebb & flow of budget changes based on government grants causes stress and challenges to meet student needs. Employees are dedicated but undergo the stress of uncertainty of job loss - contributes to a community of unrest...never good for students.

Advice to Management

Stay the course and remember that MRU provides a unique and life-long experience for the young people that hold our future in their hands...They will remember the small things that make a difference!