Mount Sinai Hospital (New York) Reviews | Glassdoor

Mount Sinai Hospital (New York) Reviews

Updated March 22, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • very good benefits/ decent salary (in 27 reviews)

• Great benefits and a large community willing to teach if you are willing to learn (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • Not enough room for growth In the department I was in (in 8 reviews)

• Cost of living increases are generally between 3-5% (in 7 reviews)

1. "Great Place to Work!"

Current Employee - Associate Researcher II in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Associate Researcher II in New York, NY

I have been working at Mount Sinai Hospital (New York) full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits
    Opportunity to advance
    Work with people who are at the top of their field

Cons

Salaries could be more competitive
    Retirement options below average
    Extremely slow human resources department

Advice to Management

Fix the human resources department and modernize payroll.

2. "Associate Researcher !"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Mount Sinai Hospital (New York) full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are good benefits, the presence of the Health System in NYC has been expanding and may open doors to further career opportunities within the Organization.

Cons

The salary may not be considered to be on the lower end given the high costs of living in NYC and in comparison to other hospitals within the geographic location.

Advice to Management

It would be beneficial to have more career training opportunities to grow and advance within the institution. Having pathways to elevate throughout the ranks can benefit talented professionals.

"Wonderful Doctors"

I worked at Mount Sinai Hospital (New York) part-time

Pros

The doctors I was privileged to work alongside treated everyone with respect, care and understanding. They defended and did their best to protect their researchers from the malignant practices of the administration.

Cons

Unfortunately, I had a difficult time working with the lower administration of my department and higher administration within the hospital. Upon consulting the HR department about these difficulties, I found that they had been long term friends with my department's administration. As a result, HR did not work to repair the claims my coworkers and I made regarding misconduct, toxic work environment and sexual harassment. One of my coworkers was fired after being maligned by our boss who feared being reported. I lost much sleep working at this institution for the way that they handled our situation. Would we not have been so emotionally scarred, this behavior would have warranted a law suit.

5. "Clinical Fellow"

I have been working at Mount Sinai Hospital (New York) full-time

Pros

standardized salary based on PGY status, good departmental support, large system which makes networking easier, friendly staff and a lot of supportive services

Cons

large system does mean working harder to stand out, advancement in large system not as easy as in smaller systems

Advice to Management

continue career advancement training to strength job opportunities within the mount sinai system and outside, already does a great job in helping fellows network and find employment

6. "Good place to be a post-doc"

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Fellow in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Postdoctoral Fellow in New York, NY

Pros

Great research environment and exciting location in Manhattan. There are a wealth of scientific resources at Mount Sinai and the post-doc community is very strong there. Further, there are so many other research institutions in the city that you feel constantly surrounded by the latest developments in biology and medicine.

There are solid benefits (although health insurance in general has been getting worse for everybody). There is discounted housing for post-docs available close to the hospital and in the Upper East Side which is a major plus so that you don't have to live in the Bronx or Queens and commute in. The housing is available for up to three years.

Cons

The salary range is still low for living in Manhattan. As a postdoc, expect "subsidized housing" to cost at least 1400 a month for a shoebox and 1700 a month for a breathable studio. Prices are generally more for larger apartments and those are reserved for families or people who agree to share apartments. Accept that you won't be saving much money during this chapter in your life.

Advice to Management

The cost of subsidized housing has gone up considerably in the last few years. This can be really difficult to manage for young professionals who want to live comfortably.

7. "Business Associate"

Pros

Great pay, benefits and great co-workers

Cons

Management don't communicate with employees or to discipline them.

Advice to Management

Communicate make with employees

8. "Care Coordinator"

Current Employee - Patient Care Coordinator in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Patient Care Coordinator in New York, NY

Pros

Cons

Not much upward movement, work not challenging enough, do not feel appreciated

9. "Great Institution to work for"

I have been working at Mount Sinai Hospital (New York) full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

1 of the best hospitals to work for in the NYC area. The culture is very elite and proud.

Cons

The system is very large and it seems as though people are falling through the cracks. The dinosaurs are getting pushed out.

Advice to Management

There are many jewels that need to be acknowledged and brought to the light to shine. Do not neglect your loyal, competent, and dependable workers.

10. "mostly accounts receivable maintenance"

Current Employee - Senior Billing Coordinator in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Billing Coordinator in New York, NY

Pros

great benefit package-low cost medical, dental

Cons

not much room for advancement unless you are coming from outside.

Advice to Management

allow more advancement opportunities from within

"Not a happy place to work"

Current Employee - Plumber in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Plumber in New York, NY

Pros

Salary and hours were good.

Cons

Very unhappy atmosphere and environment . Workers never look happy and always worried about their jobs. Mount Sinai always looking for ways to cut budget and jobs .

Advice to Management

Treat workers better . When they are in a happier environment they are more productive .