Mountain High Resort Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.4
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Karl Kapuscinski

1. "Fellow employees are generally nice and friendly, however guests are often difficult to handle."

Former Employee - Lift Operator in Wrightwood, CA
    Former Employee - Lift Operator in Wrightwood, CA

I worked at Mountain High Resort part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Its easy to get hours and not very difficult. The coworkers are friendly and often spend their time on the mountain off the clock. It's a generally happy environment.

Cons

Guests often make life much harder, and it gets busy occasionally. The drive can get very long on the busy weekends, and the snowplayers become a HUGE pain at the workplace.

2. "Best Seasonal Job in the High Desert"

Former Employee - Snowboard/Ski Instructor in Wrightwood, CA
    Former Employee - Snowboard/Ski Instructor in Wrightwood, CA

I worked at Mountain High Resort (Less than a year)

Pros

Free season pass

Excellent professional development - anything you want to learn (winter sports-wise), they'll do their best to teach you.

While instructing is not "fun" riding, I thoroughly enjoyed skiing/snowboarding for money 6 hours a day.

1/2 off lodge food/drinks (except alcohol, which is full-price)

25-60% off pro shop merch

The people are great - every kind of person from legit ski bums to off-duty NASA scientists works here, and everyone loves to ride.

Cons

I can only speak for ski/snowboard instructors, but the pay is not livable, unless you are highly certified within PSIA-AASI. This is not an "only" job, unless you are here for the love of skiing/snowboarding.

You can only free-ride (riding outside of a lesson or clinic) off the clock. A minor con, but it can be frustrating in practice.

In complete honesty, Mt. High is a small resort, that opens and closes the season with terrifyingly scant coverage. If you love the bases on your equipment, you will freeride carefully or not at all outside the months of January and December.

Advice to Management

Reduce restrictions on freeriding, especially with regard to freestyle terrain and wearing instructor jackets while freeriding. There are some very talented riders in the Winter Sports School, and if more patrons could see that, you'd sell a lot more lessons.

3. "Not as terrible as I first thought"

Former Employee - Ski Patrol in Wrightwood, CA
    Former Employee - Ski Patrol in Wrightwood, CA

I worked at Mountain High Resort full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Location and the job itself were fun and provided some opportunities for growth. Free season pass was a nice perk. Close proximity to greater Southern California was convenient.

Cons

Human Resource on-boarding packet was written in comic sans and I don't think they were trying to be intentionally funny by doing it that way. Parts of the "training" process were non-existent and they just expected you to pick up the skills needed to do the job.

Advice to Management

As much as is possible, they should try to develop a more formal training system for patrol employees. They really need to create a patrol handbook that outlines formal procedures for situations that might occur.

5. "I worked there 2012, 2013 season, there are different people there now."

Former Employee - Rentals in Wrightwood, CA
    Former Employee - Rentals in Wrightwood, CA

Pros

Fun environment, high pressure, diverse customers. Friendly relationships. Just a cool place. I wish I had more good things to say.

Cons

Unorganized, they sent me to close east without any training, to the snowboard shack for my first time without anyone which is also unorthodox and forgot there!, waited until I drove up the mountain to tell me I wasn't needed numerous times. clique between supervisor and certain coworkers.

Advice to Management

Hire a good supervisor because they are good not solely because they've been there the previous seasons!

6. "Great Learning Experience"

Former Employee - Food and Beverage in Wrightwood, CA
    Former Employee - Food and Beverage in Wrightwood, CA

Pros

I was able to choose my own hours for the most part. Being able to go for a run during the season was a definite plus

Cons

Upward growth at my position wasn't existent. Being a seasonal ski resort, meant that most employees were laid off during off season. Only a handful of year round employees working full time

7. "Amazing friendly service to employees and guests."

Former Employee - Boot Tech in Wrightwood, CA
    Former Employee - Boot Tech in Wrightwood, CA

I worked at Mountain High Resort part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great Resort, Great Staff, Friendly service, and great food.

Cons

Nothing that I can think of.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing for everything is working out perfectly.

8. "Pick your own hours"

Current Employee - Snowboard Instructor in Wrightwood, CA
    Current Employee - Snowboard Instructor in Wrightwood, CA

I have been working at Mountain High Resort full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You schedule yourself. Private lessons add $25 per hour. Earn tickets for friends. Free season pass to on mountain employees. Cool co workers

Cons

Poor base pay. Not many hours sometimes.

Advice to Management

Get that 50 cents per 50 hours back! See if you can come up with a commute compensation program in the future

9. "Great first job for high school or college students, but don't plan on making this a career or advancing in any way."

Former Employee - Ski/Snowboard Tech in Wrightwood, CA
    Former Employee - Ski/Snowboard Tech in Wrightwood, CA

Pros

The best thing about working here is getting a season pass for 10 bucks! You would usually see you friends alot and its not a desk job, you're not just sitting around, if you worked in rentals you could be inside or outside at the corral which is really fun during spring break, or after big storms!

Cons

Working during the holidays is very stressful because that of course is the busiest time of year. Due to only one road accessing the resort it can be hard to get to work on time when its jammed with traffic. It also doesn't help that there isn't any employee parking lot for the west resort.

Advice to Management

It would be nice to have an employee lot at west, and a way to get between east and west without having to get on highway 2, like maybe paving the road that is already there

10. "Is this a business?"

Former Employee - Snowboard Instructor in Wrightwood, CA
    Former Employee - Snowboard Instructor in Wrightwood, CA

Pros

The free season pass and the benefits of being on the mountain are the greatest perks. Nothing beats getting off work and being able to snowboard straight away!

Cons

The managers, culture, pay, hours distribution, and level of professionalism leave something to be desired, to say the least. Then again, it's a small time ski/snowboard resort.

Advice to Management

Take your job seriously. The lessons that you pass on to your young employees set a mold for their perceptions of what management is.

11. "Good Company, Training takes way too long"

Former Employee - Snowboard Instructor
    Former Employee - Snowboard Instructor

Pros

Pretty good pay for instructors that are just starting out, especially if you are able to get request lessons. Facilities are alright, they do allow you store your equipment in their locker room, which is fantastic when you have to commute and are constantly driving up to the mountains. Management in Winter Sports School is fantastic! Great trainers who all love their job and want to help you become a better rider and instructor.

Cons

Only real issue was that the training. Takes way too long and covered things that were not needed. If the training could be standardized to some extent to cover the bases and then be geared to the individual new hire that would save a lot of time.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!