Mountain State University Reviews | Glassdoor

CEO

1. "Intern"

Former Intern - Web Developer, in El Cerrito, CA
    Former Intern - Web Developer, in El Cerrito, CA

I worked at Mountain State University as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Learned many things as an intern. Great teamwork.

Cons

Management was not strong as I expected.

2. "Administrative Assistant to the Registrar and Student Services"

Former Employee - Administration Assistant to the Registrar and Student Services in Beckley, WV

I worked at Mountain State University full-time

Pros

The absolute best reason about working for MSU was the interaction with the students. I am a people person, problem solver, and multitasker and this job offered all that I loved.

Cons

The only con that I could possibly think of was the closure of the University.

Advice to Management

The only advice I would have given management would have been to include a member of each department of Student Services to our weekly meetings for their input and ideas.

3. "Good employees, but lost potential"

Former Employee - Project Specialist in Beckley, WV
    Former Employee - Project Specialist in Beckley, WV

I worked at Mountain State University full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The students and the non-management employees made the job bearable. As such a small school, it was easily navigated and people got to know each other. The pay was decent and vacation time was easily accrued.

Cons

MSU was a self-contained environment and while on the surface that may seem nice, it was stifling. It didn't prepare you for life outside of its cloister. It also made one feel watched by upper management and paranoid about making a mistake.

Advice to Management

Since it's no longer in business, res ipsa loquitor....

5. "A overwhelming and gracious event"

Pros

I enjoyed the people and the staff

Cons

I worked alot, so be ready

Advice to Management

Listen to all suggestions

6. "A so called institution of higher education"

Current Employee - Student Services Coordinator in Beckley, WV
    Current Employee - Student Services Coordinator in Beckley, WV

I have been working at Mountain State University full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Weekends and holidays off
    Paid vacation, sick and personal time
    eight to five shifts
    one hour lunch breaks
    short commute

Cons

Unprofessional work environment
    Lack of communication from upper management
    Failure to encourage ideas from employees that may increase productivity

Advice to Management

Upper management needs to be more open to employees ideas and also needs to keep employees in the loop in regards to everything that will effect the business which in turn effects the employees. Need to create a culture of openness and honesty.

7. "Roller coaster ride"

Current Employee - Coordinator in Beckley, WV
    Current Employee - Coordinator in Beckley, WV

I have been working at Mountain State University full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Weekends off
    nine to five schedule
    co-workers
    holidays
    close to home

Cons

students
    bureaucracy
    numerous lawsuits
    extensive layoffs
    change of ownership

8. "Stressfull, Distasteful, BUT positive in a experiential manner in that I learned how businesses should not be run"

Current Employee - Mountain State University in Beckley, WV
    Current Employee - Mountain State University in Beckley, WV

I have been working at Mountain State University full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Money for the Region, and brings more commerce to Beckley

Cons

Bad Management in most division, bad overall culture

9. "MOUNTAIN STATE: One of few Rodeos (employers) in Beckley. Beats working at the prison!"

Current Employee - Marketing/Enrollment in Beckley, WV
    Current Employee - Marketing/Enrollment in Beckley, WV

Pros

Good amount of vacation time / sick time
    They contribute to your 401K (well, TIAA... ) and match up to 6% - 10% depending on years you work there.
    They are improving communication and collaboration as a result of a recent "Show Cause" issue by their regional accreditation team. That's a VERY big plus.

Cons

Micromanaging over "paper clips" while BIG PROBLEMS go ignored or glossed over
    Too much Oversight over issues of little importance
    Not enough Oversight over things that are really important.
    Meetings to the point of exhaustion. Too many meetings with too much 'follow up' that is not related to getting your job done, so you find yourself chasing the tiger doing stupid stuff and not enough time to get your real job done.
    Pay - you would think enrollment staff, who are integral for generating revenue for a school that is not grant-based / state or federally funded, would be adequately compensated. You would think they would make at least $40 - $50K a year. Wouldn't you think this? THINK AGAIN. Some folks started at $24K.
    Passion for education is reduced to a numbers game. If you are gonna play like the Big For Profit girls and boys, you better compensate like them.
    MSU can't figure out what it wants to be: A Wannbe Univ. of Phoenix or a Quality moderate-sized non-profit school with a big online/extension division.

Advice to Management

Hire senior level management from quality universities, not from "for profit" institutions.
    The University has amazing potential to grow and shine, but they need folks that genuinely have a passion for education first and foremost. "Revenue Generation" should not be the number one goal. Providing a quality education with access to all and a commitment to lifelong learning. When you think about it, it's like that baseball movie (I forget the name...): If you build it, they will come. So now, Mountain State, while you face your most challenging moment, I encourage you to look into your heart. If your passion is to deliver a quality education, you will do fine! Your future is assured. On the other hand, if you continue to harp on the money, you will not be heading in the direction you aspire to. I wish you the best of luck as an institution! (And when Dr Polk' resigns, please hire from out of state. A non-graduate would be a plus! The school truly needs to start hiring admin. and faculty from OUT OF STATE and with degrees from other institutions!)

10. "Difficult Place to Stick It Out"

Pros

The students are great and the staff is also great. They work as a team, and a lot of that has to do with the mid-level management. However, it is difficult to keep good mid-level managers there becasue they are offered better positions or get tired of putting up with so much work and no support.

Cons

The upper-level management does not look at the lower level or mid-level employees with respect, and does not treat employees well. There is a lot of turnover at the Martinsburg campus among the lower levels because of this. Also, there is not enough help and when positions are left they are not filled (because management decided not to fill them), so it makes it more difficult on every other person there.

Advice to Management

Fill the appropriate positions and look to your support staff as helpul. It would be nice to see you more than once a month, and the only times we see you is when you are angry and yelling at someone.