Mountain States Employers Council Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great Employer"

Current Employee - Current Employee in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Current Employee in Denver, CO

I have been working at Mountain States Employers Council full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great Work-life balance and support of long-term career goals. The employees are great to work with.

Cons

The pay is not the best, but it is offset by the expectation that you will be gone on time and decent benefits.

2. "Free parking Downtown"

I worked at Mountain States Employers Council full-time

Pros

Nice people to work with

Cons

Low pay and few opportunities

3. "Great....if you were a lifer that started 10+ years ago."

I worked at Mountain States Employers Council full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great company events and parties
    Highly encouraged work life balance

Cons

Insanely low pay
    Lack of appreciation for support staff

"A fabulous place to work with people who really care about you and the work"

I worked at Mountain States Employers Council full-time

Pros

Everyone at MSEC is a pleasure to work with. I've never worked in a company that was, as a collective organization, so passionate about employee well-being, as well as customer/client delivery. This balance can be difficult to find and MSEC has truly found a great balance in this regard. It is also wonderful to work for a non-profit, doing work that is meaningful and impactful for so many businesses. Additionally, MSEC has a top notch reputation in the industry, which I have found incredibly beneficial in many regards.

Cons

The salary was lower than you would get elsewhere, but this is to be expected given the nature of the company. There are no other cons I can speak to. For me personally, there were not many career opportunities to advance my career, but I believe that was specific to my educational training. For many, I believe they come to MSEC, are offered many avenues for professional growth and development, and advancement in the organization.

5. "HR Professional Consultant"

Current Employee - Human Resources Consultant in Denver, CO

I have been working at Mountain States Employers Council (Less than a year)

Pros

Really friendly, dedicated people that stay on their professional game! World class training!

Cons

Pay is not the most competitive, but the work environment is well worth it!

"Poor leadership/low pay/antiquated systems"

Former Employee - Outsourced Consulting Services in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Outsourced Consulting Services in Denver, CO

Pros

Although the base pay is set at approximately 10% below market (which they were upfront about), I felt very confident about what was communicated to me regarding the culture and ethical standards of MSEC during my interview process, and was willing to sacrifice the pay for this. Bolstered by a 401k package, pension, work-life balance, access to training/certification classes, and a decent benefits package, I thought I would stay there a very long time.

It wasn't long, however, before the seedy underbelly of MSEC really became apparent.

Cons

Gross internal HR mismanagement (despite it being an Employers Association that advises other Employers on matters of HR and employment law), wishy-washy and inconsistent management, double-standards for employees, lack of internal HR leadership, as well as blatant lying and scamming to both employees and clients, I was eventually pushed out for expressing my disapproval.

They create a familial environment for the new employee, which is swiftly dashed if you express any critical opinion. There are a handful of genuinely caring and honest staff there, but unfortunately these people are only biding their time until they can get out or collect pension because they recognize the destructive dynamic.

There is also so much nepotism there that you never know who to trust, or what the long and messy histories might be.

The work itself was typical enough, but it became difficult to function within a framework that has a complete lack of standardization, structure, and miscommunicated expectations of job performance. Although the IT staff are amazing, the infrastructure they are tasked to work within is about as sophisticated as a hamster wheel, and you will struggle to do basic tasks. Further, there is no email encryption system in place, despite thousands of sensitive personally-identifying information such as name, SSN, DOB, etc., being passed back-and-forth; both of clients and internal staff.

Advice to Management

The interpretation of what contributes to employee retention is severely misguided. Allocating more resources to improving monetary compensation for staff, improving IT resources, as well as improving presentation/classroom materials, as opposed to parties, booze and birthday cake.

7. "Human Resources Consultant"

Current Employee - Human Resources Consultant in Denver, CO

I have been working at Mountain States Employers Council part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Free attendance to classes, conferences, and programs. This has helped me obtain and maintain my PHR. Employee engagement activities (All-employee meetings, parties, and recognition events) are held often. Excellent 401k matching.

Cons

Non-profit compensation strategy. There is a disconnect between technology expectations and benefits (i.e. required use of email/messenger services on personal, mobile devices with no benefit/compensation). Off-site consultants are not considered full-time employees. Unless someone leaves the organization, your growth potential is outside the organization.

Advice to Management

Take a step back and figure out how to do HR well within an organization where everyone knows HR.

8. "Great work life balance but below market pay"

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant

I have been working at Mountain States Employers Council full-time (More than a year)

Pros

MSEC really is a great place to work. They value camaraderie and the work/life balance. It's a friendly and open environment. Generally management seems to be open to new ideas and fresh perspectives

Cons

Advancement and pay. For an entry-level admin or paralegal, there is not much further you can go. The legal departments are not set up like firms, attorney's still do the bulk of the substantive work. There is a definite expiration date for those that wish to push their paralegal career forward.

9. "Excellent training in employment law and HR."

I have been working at Mountain States Employers Council full-time

Pros

Work-life balance; flexible schedule; challenging work; in-depth exposure to employment law; immediate client contact; excellent benefits

Cons

non-profit salary; few opportunities to advance

10. "Awful place to work"

Former Employee - Outsourced Consulting Services/Human Resources in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Outsourced Consulting Services/Human Resources in Denver, CO

I worked at Mountain States Employers Council full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Everyone is an alcoholic so sometimes it's fun after work.

Cons

Very low salary.
    Promises are always broken by management.
    Organizational structure allows no room for promotion.
    Very high turnover. People quit or get fired everyday.
    Unrealistic work pace.

Advice to Management

Please just be honest up front, pay people what they are worth, and create room for promotion for the hard working employees.