Movado Group Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Movado Group President, CEO, and Director Efraim Grinberg
Efraim Grinberg

Pros
Cons
  • Underpaid and there is no real room for growth in IT (in 3 reviews)

• There is no growth or succession planning and they will hire from the outside (in 4 reviews)

1. "Intern"

I worked at Movado Group part-time

Pros

Great learning experience for the retail world.

Cons

Some hard learned life lessons, with some nasty people.

2. "Better than most retail jobs."

Former Employee - Key Holder
    Former Employee - Key Holder

I worked at Movado Group full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great benefits, opportunities to advance, incentives for performance. Above average hourly pay rate.

Cons

Some store level mangers don't provide sufficient training and support, corporate is sadly out of touch with store level challenges, not enough oversight of store managers. If sales numbers are good, they can get away with poor behavior and policy violations.

Advice to Management

Corporate level personnel should spend at least a week in stores to better understand the challenges. Consider associates POV, more oversight of store manager performance and efficacy.

3. "Sales Asst"

Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Ontario, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Ontario, CA

I worked at Movado Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

None that I saw I enjoyed my work

Cons

None that I expected

Advice to Management

None as it was well established

"Horrible at hiring"

I worked at Movado Group part-time

Pros

When I started working at Movado, I had no experience in retail but I was hired and the pay start was $12 an hour when at that time minimum wage was $7.50. I was given an amazing opportunity to learn sales and the employees I worked with were very patient and understanding. They always had my back and wanted me to strive.

Cons

While working at the store where I was employed, they literally went through 6-7 different managers and assistant managers in a span of 4-5 years. One even had a criminal background. After time, they cut hours and began to let employees go to save money and any new employees hired were paid less. Also, if you are looking to advance in the company, it takes years before they would even consider training you for assistant manager or even key holder. Very few benefits as well. Also, only 2% commission per sale.

"Nutty Family Company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jersey City, NJ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jersey City, NJ

I worked at Movado Group (More than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent product and growth potential. Many types of positions available including retail, sales, analysis, etc. Growth was dynamic and the environment was interesting.

Cons

The family members held key positions whether or not they were qualified. This meant that professionalism was lacking in certain departments. There was a bonus plan that was dangled over the employees each year, yet, despite record sales, there was always a reason to withhold it. The reason did not have anything to do with employee performance. One year, there was an inventory discrepancy- another year, it was the exchange rates or loss of one of their key brands.

Advice to Management

When you hire outside expertise, empower them to do their jobs with professionalism and dignity. If complaints arise about family members who are not competent, address them.

7. "Decent Internship"

Pros

Friendly environment, good location, parking available

Cons

Not a steady workload available

"Good Company but pay wasn't good"

I have been working at Movado Group full-time

Pros

Fast pace store. Meet cool clients that come in to buy

Cons

Commission was not good, percentage went up (4% when you hit 400K) but then it went back to 1% in the beginning of the year.

"Marketing Coordinator"

Current Employee - Marketing
    Current Employee - Marketing

I have been working at Movado Group full-time

Pros

Great work life balance
    Great people
    Classes are offered to strengthen skills for employees

Cons

Underpaid
    No growth plans
    Takes forever to move up to next level
    Lack of communication between management and their teamol
    Coordinator positions are hourly which is a struggle when punching in system is slow

Advice to Management

Learn to communicate to your team who is actually doing the work and are affected by changes.
    Create more growth steps/opportunities for all positions not just managers.

"Part Time Sales, Movado Woodbury Common"

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Central Valley, NY
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Central Valley, NY

I worked at Movado Group part-time (More than a year)

Pros

This of course is subject to change, especially since there is a fair amount of turnover, but the people I worked with were great overall.

Anyone who has worked in retail knows the drill--there's going to be customer issues and complaints, there are going to be big rushes. What makes the difference between an enjoyable retail work environment and a bothersome one is how the store is managed and the people you work alongside.

For the most part, my co-workers had friendly dispositions and a team-player mentality. The management recently changed in late summer '15, after I'd left, so I cannot speak in detail to the current situation. What I can say is that most of the company policies are reasonable and that the store is fairly well organized.

At different times there had been a nice mix of ages and cultures represented in the staff, but it mainly skews towards young people from the area who are attending local colleges.

It's an overall nice place to work for younger people going to school, or adults who may be in between more serious ventures or adding a supplemental income for a time.

Cons

Entry level retail is not known to be the most lucrative job in the world. However, for a company that wants to promote a luxury image and, at least for a time when I was there, wanted a more sophisticated clienteling approach (ie keeping a clienteling book etc), the pay is just not up to par.

It's a tiered commission structure (sell more to get into higher percentage brackets) that re-sets when their fiscal year ends in early Feb. So it's best to be hired early in the year and know that you will make the bulk of your money in the holiday season (roughly Columbus Day through New Year).

They don't spring for a cleaning service so employees are liable to be sweeping, and even cleaning the bathroom on occasion.

IT needs some work--there are some tasks that could be easily shared on both the cash wrap computers and back office computers that are not. Instead, you have to do certain tasks on one or the other, and this is inefficient.

When it's slow they make you call past customers, but that needs to be more targeted (ie only locals who spent a significant amount and haven't purchased in at least 6 months)... otherwise every sales associate just tells management what they want to hear all the while being convinced it's a waste of time, and possibly even annoying customers. Reaching out to non-local customers I feel requires more of an established client relationship--otherwise they're liable to be like "I visited NY once three years ago, why are you calling me now?"

Advice to Management

The store is caught between a luxury image and half of the store offering fashion watches for $50-$200. This apparently has been on ongoing discussion. I understand that profit per unit is better for the fashion watches. So the company is pushing in that direction. Some kind of changes need to be made--in either the structure of the store(s), staff, or both to accommodate this obvious divide. I'd think that sales associates who are looking for the challenge, depth, and better financial rewards of working with the higher end brands that the store offers will be hard to keep long-term.

Also--please let associates have easier access to computers in order to email clients--in my time at the store at least, you had to wait for a key holder to log you in to the one store manager computer. And if the store manager was working on her computer, you simply had to wait.

Re-vamp call list procedure when business is slow.

11. "Intern"

Former Intern - Intern in Paramus, NJ
    Former Intern - Intern in Paramus, NJ

I worked at Movado Group as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Salary, Benefits, Hours, Culture, Workers

Cons

Favoritism, Support, Workplace, Help, Perks

Advice to Management

Meet lower employees