Movement Mortgage Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.4
Casey Crawford

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "You will not find a better company then Movement Mortgage" (in 29 reviews)

• "amazing company, great culture, awesome benefits" (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • "They want to grow organically but seems that they want to grow fast instead, convincing loan officers with a book of business to join Movement" (in 23 reviews)

• "No Cons its getting better every month" (in 16 reviews)

1. "Great Company to Work For"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Movement Mortgage full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Culture, outstanding executive team who care about their employees, Mortgage "university" for people who are new to the industry, money and volunteerism poured into the local community.

Cons

Middle management does not always carry out the vision of upper management..

"Fun company to work for"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Mill, SC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Mill, SC

I worked at Movement Mortgage (More than 3 years)

Pros

Open working environment, young and "hip" CEO, good benefits

Cons

Systems seem to be constantly underdeveloped, very ad-hoc processes, HR is behind the ball

"Marketing staff and management is highly under-qualified."

Former Employee - Graphic Designer in Fort Mill, SC
    Former Employee - Graphic Designer in Fort Mill, SC

I worked at Movement Mortgage full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free food on Fridays. Okay pay. Their ironic love for Halloween.

Cons

The Chief Brand Officer has no idea what he’s doing. He has absolutely no marketing/design experience and does not understand simple industry lingo. “I might not know Photoshop but I know what looks good.” They spend too much money on 9am morning meetings and too much time trying to design the next best, hottest, hipster T-shirt.

Everything they do gravitates around Elevation Church. They’ll bring us marketing materials from Elevation and have us reproduce it.

They also throw God in your face. Everywhere. Every day. No, I don’t want to talk to your Chaplain nor do I want to attend Friday Morning Sermons.

Advice to Management

Learn your job. Learn your people. You spend too much money on trying to look good. Spend more time learning about your “brand.” And stop hiring people just because they’re the wife of your pastor or a longtime friend. Hire them because of their credentials and their potential to produce great work.

Nov 7, 2018 – Director of Special Projects, Talent

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. As you know, Movement embraces Christian values ; however, it is not our intent to "throw God" in anyone's face. We hope you find... More

"Low morale, doesn’t feel like a community culture anymore"

I have been working at Movement Mortgage full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

6% 401k match, nice building to work in.

Cons

Continuing layoffs in smaller numbers. No year end bonus or cost of living raises this year. Everyone on pins and needle’s. Management has stopped being transparent about anything with the employees. Lots of management closed-door meetings with no information to employees.Rumors of restructuring, but not being addressed.

Advice to Management

Top levels of management should meet directly with the employees without middle managers present, to discuss ways to make things better or just to share information about the direction the company is taking,without fear of reprisal if employees speak up with questions or concerns. Upper management should not only speak to the middle-management ,who have their own agendas .

Nov 15, 2018 – Director of Special Projects, Talent

Thank you for your feedback. We always strive for honesty and transparency for all of our employees and we will keep your suggestion in mind as we continue to navigate this difficult market. We... More

5. "Underwriter Team Lead"

I have been working at Movement Mortgage full-time

Pros

Great Company to work for.

Cons

There are no complaints at all

Oct 29, 2018 – Director of Special Projects, Talent

Thank you for your feedback! We are glad you are enjoying your time at Movement; keep up the good work!

6. "Proud to be a part of this company."

Current Employee - Loan Officer Assistant in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Loan Officer Assistant in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Movement Mortgage full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

From Market Leader Spiro to Regional Leader Mike right to CEO Casey, everyone is down to earth and there for the greater good. I have never felt like “just a number.” Hard work and a job well done are acknowledged and appreciated.

Cons

Nothing is perfect of course, but I cannot think of anything that would warrant a valid complaint.

Advice to Management

Keep on doing what you do!!!

Oct 22, 2018 – Director of Special Projects, Talent

Thank you for your review! We are glad you are enjoying your time at Movement and feel loved and valued. Keep up the good work!

"Lost the Love"

I worked at Movement Mortgage full-time

Pros

The Culture started out fantastic 3 years ago, unlike anything I have ever worked for. Loved my job and learned so much about the business.

Cons

The culture became words only not action by management. But as they grew friends of friends were promoted and may have been good at driving productivity but not trained as Leads or Managers with people. Became completely unprofessional.

Advice to Management

A companies success is only achievable when the leaders are held as accountable as their employees. Lack of morals, friends, gossip, favoritism from management are toxic to a work environment. Listen to your employees, when promoting should not be overseeing friends they worked with to avoid these issues.

Oct 8, 2018 – Director of Special Projects, Talent

We appreciate your feedback and your contributions to Movement. We regret that difficult decisions had to be made during this rough market but are committed to recharging our focuses on culture and... More

8. "I LOVE the people I get to work with and believe in the mission of the organization."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indian Land, SC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indian Land, SC

I have been working at Movement Mortgage full-time

Pros

I appreciate that the fruit of my labors are re-invested into the community. I believe I am surrounded with like-minded people who care about me. I enjoy my work and am grateful for my opportunities.

Cons

This can be a HARD business. Current market conditions suck - and may get worse before better, but if I have to be in the trenches doing battle, I'm grateful to be fighting with those I trust and respect. Insurance benefits are too expensive.

Advice to Management

Listen to criticisms to learn ways to improve. Spend some time on exit interviews to help identify pockets of toxicity. Improve transparency to reduce anxiety.

Oct 22, 2018 – Director of Special Projects, Talent

Thank you for your thoughtful review. We appreciate your "all for one" attitude and are happy to have you as part of our team. We will definitely keep your thoughts in mind as we navigate through... More

9. "Underwriter"

Current Employee - Mortgage Underwriter in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Mortgage Underwriter in Richmond, VA

I have been working at Movement Mortgage full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Family-oriented company with Christian backgrounds

Cons

Layoffs are possible, mortgage is always unpredictable

Oct 10, 2018 – Director of Special Projects, Talent

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We are glad you are enjoying your time at Movement and appreciate your understanding of the difficult and unpredictable market. Keep up the good work!

"Not impressed"

Pros

Movement university was nice, it gave people a chance to change careers, be trained, and get full benefits from day 1. They axed that though as most people who did the program left because pay was lower than average for the industry. For those that stayed and believed in the company, some were laid off in Oct.

Free food on Friday and holidays

Cons

It can feel more like a frat house at times. Lots of young people (not a bad thing) but sometimes it’s an immature atmosphere and professionalism is lost. This is especially worrisome when the managers/team leads are acting like 14 year olds, even getting upset at others because they prefer to work and aren’t into pranks or other shenanigans. I get that they want to be a “fun” place to work, but people take that too far and when it’s a manager doing it, what options do the employees have? I think that balance has to be found. Train and re-evaluate your middle managers. Those that constantly have problems with multiple employees when those employees were given excellent marks from other managers...well find the common denominator. As someone mentioned before, diversity training should be mandatory.

Advice to Management

Stop protecting and enabling bad managers. There is an obvious pecking order. If you are friends with the CEO or upper management you are golden, and it shouldn’t be that way. Also, you have diverse employees, have some education on being inclusive.

Nov 14, 2018 – Director of Special Projects, Talent

Thank you for posting a review. We appreciate your feedback and will keep it in mind as we move forward with personal and professional development efforts. Good luck to you in the future.