Movie Gallery Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

1. "neutral"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Tuscaloosa, AL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Tuscaloosa, AL

Pros

we got to see the newest movies for free and before the general public got the see the movies. I liked that it offered flexible hours

Cons

Didn't really like the boss that I worked for so he made it a bad place to work at for most of us

Advice to Management

honestly just need better management all together or at least at that one particular store, which has probably improved since I worked there

"Don't know why I stay"

Current Employee - CSA in Montevideo, MN
    Current Employee - CSA in Montevideo, MN

Pros

The only one I can think of is free rentals. If you are a manger you make very good money for non exsistent skills of being a manager. Also for some very odd reason if the associates are suppose to be motivated to sell our new powerplay so we don't lose our jobs and if we sell enough our manager wins a new entertainment system for her home. I make 6.55 an hour and you get a new entertainment system yeah I really am excited for that

Cons

You get paid nothing and get no hours or any consistency with hours. Expected to work off the clock and always getting told your job is at stake if you dont get so many sales or clean this and that. I used to love going there and now I drag my feet.

Advice to Management

Do you see us?? We are trying!!

"Love my Job, but...."

Current Employee - Senior Customer Service Associate in Joplin, MO
    Current Employee - Senior Customer Service Associate in Joplin, MO

Pros

I love the free rentals that come with the job. I have worked for over 2 1/2 years and have been trying to get store manager. I love my job and the people that I work for. When you have a good manager, your job is more fun and easier. I have the best manager and everyone wants to work for her in my area.

Cons

It takes too long to finish the management process. I have been trying to get the manager position since December and I am still waiting. I keep in contact with the District Manager and he says it is a process. I am seeing managers quit all the time in my area and they go out and hire someone off the street instead of giving it to someone already in the company that wants it and is capable of doing the job. I have passed everything so far and still waiting. This means a store will be without a manger for almost a month before someone gets in there, and after all that time the store is in shambles and the new manager has to get it back to the way it should be. Listen to CSA's and hear what they have to say because we do work more than the people that tell us what to do. The people sitting behind the desk don't have a clue what customers want because they don't interact with them. They keep cutting programs to all stores that customers want because other stores don't do well. Just because it doesn't work well in one area doesn't mean it doesn't work well in another area. The company wants to save money but so do the customers.

Advice to Management

Every once in a while do a survey of store employees and find out what customers want or do a customer survey. Listen to the people that are making you money.

5. "Get it right"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Toledo, OH
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Toledo, OH

Pros

Great part time job, gets more complicated as you advance. As a college kid you have a flexible schedule, free rentals of movies and games, and get great experience with people.

Cons

Low pay for all. Obvious at the store manager level only a few do there job while others just open and close a store everyday. If we are going with E4 enforce the penalties you put on people. We are micromanaged from the corp. office down with many decisions taken out of my hands. I took a huge pay cut to work for this company under the idea that I would be advancing within one year. This hasn't happened and I would hate to leave a job i love.

Advice to Management

Trim the fat. You let go great managers and employees when you closed stores. Next time choose the right ones. Also, decide on what future you want and hire right.

"Movie Gallery is the most confusing company I ever worked for"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Eastland, TX
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Eastland, TX

Pros

I enjoyed the atmosphere and working around something I loved and knew alot about.

Cons

The company is a mess. Nobody knows what is going on. It is hard to run a store when you can't get straight answers and everyone is telling you to do something different. It doesn't matter if you know what sells best in your store or what your customers like, the company has an idea of how they think it is best and they will not allow for anything different.

Advice to Management

Listen to what the employees have to say. Consider that the people running the stores on a day to day basis may actually have some good ideas and are smart enough to know how to create revenue.

7. "Great place for a part time job."

Current Employee - Store Manager in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Saint Louis, MO

Pros

Flexible hours, easy job, nice people to work with. Get to take home movies for free, it is great if you're into media. I really liked the fact that I was able to take home premium Wii and PS3 games even though they would normally cost more than a simple movie rental. My wife and I were able to preview movies the week before they came out, really helped as we were able to drop our Netflix rental service. It is part time, low wage job, but these perks really make it worth it over other jobs in this pay range.

Cons

Low pay and can be late hours.

Advice to Management

Management is good.

"It's getting worse."

Current Employee - Store Manager in Dothan, AL
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Dothan, AL

Pros

As Manager you WERE somewhat able to control the overall outcome of how your store was run, but now that seems to be a thing of the past.

Cons

With the "fast forward" approach that has now been implemented, As a STORE MANAGER, you are no longer in charge of your store. Everything is now micromanaged by corp. To actually think that this WILL work is insane. For those of you not familiar with this, here is the deal. You are now only allowed to schedule one person to man the store all week long with the exception of the busiest days (Friday and Saturday), AND you are only allowed 4 hours of "double coverage" for these two days. This is an average of 92 hours per week that you are allowed to schedule for - 45 of which must be your salaried schedule. When you are used to being able to schedule on a regular basis 150 hours per week, this is an absolutely absurd idea. All this to save a little money. They don't get it.

Advice to Management

Gabe, you have lost it . You might be looking at your bottom dollar, but in that case CLOSE the stores that don't make any money! Don't punish the stores that are thriving! You are basically forcing us to turn customers (and profits) away by NOT allowing us to serve our customers adequately!

9. "Movie Gallery... Play on!"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Little Rock, AR
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Little Rock, AR

Pros

Even as a Store Manager you can have a flexible schedule (I, most of the time can schedule around kids school events). Fun is encouraged (The more creative and fun the environment the happier the company is). Good bonus potential (For just doing your job ... I bonus approximately $7,000 annually not doing anymore than asked of me, I think a little more on my part and the other $5000 is mine). Excellent stepping stone for advancement (my Regional Manager started out as a customer service associate). Exciting promotions at the store level to keep the energy up and not fall into the "same 'ol same 'ol" rut.

Cons

In the past it didn't feel like the Store Managers were being let in on what was happen especially during the beginning of the bankruptcy. We were being told to push sales in a time when ALL video retailers were struggling, but instead of an "we are all in this together spirit it felt like you stores are not pulling your weight".
    Store managers that kept up with industry publications knew about the potential for bankruptcy and the drastic fall in stock value WAY before the company let us know. This seems to have changed radically with addition of "Gabe".

Advice to Management

Keep the Stores in the loop ... these new company wide calls are GREAT! keep 'em up!
    Keep focused on One Company.
    Keep looking forward, we arent making excuses about our new competition with the Redboxes, they are a problem, and we are willing to do what it takes to combat that but please do not "pooh pooh" our frustration.

10. "I love my job!!"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Payette, ID
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Payette, ID

Pros

They are just a very fun place to work! great benifets! I have made alot of freinds that i hope to have for a long time! i have been a store manager for 5 years and dont plan on leaving any time soon

Cons

NONE! I love my job

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

11. "Maybe 15 years ago, but not now."

Former Employee - District Manager in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - District Manager in Philadelphia, PA

Pros

Use them as a stepping-stone.

Cons

It is a downward-spiralling company within a downwrd-spiralling industry.

Advice to Management

SELL!