Movie Gallery Reviews | Glassdoor

Movie Gallery Reviews

Updated December 8, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"I loved working for Movie Gallery, until they purchased Hollywood Video."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dothan, AL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dothan, AL

Pros

Family atmosphere, great customer service, work/family balance, bonus structure, benefit package, I was always proud of working at Movie Gallery, location of corp office

Cons

Bankruptcy after Movie Gallery purchasing Hollywood Video, Upper mgmt at Movie Gallery should have closed Oregon Corp offices of Hollywood Video, Hollywood Video acted as if they had purchased Movie Gallery...instead of as a failing company close to bankruptcy that needed bailing out, Hollywood Video had incredible debt (Movie Gallery was debt free at time of purchase) and wasn't making enough money to sustain itself

Advice to Management

I think upper mgmt should have been willing to cut salaries that the company could not sustain after the Hollywood Video purchase, I also think that maintain two corp offices (when the corp office in Dothan was more than capable of running the company cheaper and more effectively) after the purchase was a waste of money

2. "Decent job, but went of business"

Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in Wilsonville, OR
    Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in Wilsonville, OR

Pros

Great coworkers and decent benefits

Cons

Poor senior management and endless turnover

Advice to Management

pay attention to market trends

3. "Who authorized THAT to happen?"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wilsonville, OR
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wilsonville, OR

Pros

The team that I was involved in was great! My teammates were great, and my managers were pretty good too.

Cons

Went through many ups and downs and many changes in command. Unfortunately, I feel that many poor (and sometimes outrageous) decisions were made from above during a certain period. It's too bad that changes to put someone who actually knew what they were doing, and actually cared and knew the business happened so very late in the game.

Advice to Management

3 words: First Mover Advantage

4. "Movie Gallery bought up Hollywood in 2005 and let that company take over the company the company slide into chapter 11"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bakersfield, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bakersfield, CA

Pros

Great place to work when the company was under Movie Gallery supervision

Cons

When Hollywood supervision took over the company went down no communication company did not listen to managers in the field

Advice to Management

listen to the people who keep the company running the playguard program did not work!!!

5. "screwed after 8 years"

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

Pros

great benifits, paid vacation, sick days, free rentals

Cons

I've worked for MG for 8 years and just found out my store is closing and I am out of a job in 5 days! I still have 3 weeks of vacation that I will not get paid for and they will not give a severince pay!! I have done so much for this company and they turn around and just screw me and my family!! I think it is BS they way they have done all of us and they don't and never did care about their employees just the money!!

Advice to Management

you should have had someone who knew what they were doing in the main office!!! If you would have just listened to the ppl below you like the store managers who tried to give advice on what to do bc we are the ones who actually work w the public you might have learned something and might not have had to screw all of us out of jobs!!

"Thankless job- horrible people are in upper management"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Orlando, FL

Pros

Free video rentals ,big deal -

Cons

A District manager once said - if i dont like a manager personally, i find a reason to get rid of them.
    lame tactics to improve revenue like rental insurance and rental plans instead of focusing on the obvious- rental buys, happy employees make happy customers. MG let district managers run amock with unprofessional behaviors and scare tactics.

Advice to Management

Your business decisions have always been horrendous. You could care less about the people that work in the stores. Carpets havent been cleaned in years. Light fixtures are burnt out - supplies not available to run a business properly.

7. "Waste of Time"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Mount Airy, NC
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Mount Airy, NC

Pros

It was a great gig while it lasted, free rentals, fairly decent health insurance. In the beginning, six years ago, it was like a family. Not the hardest job, but challenging enough to make it interesting.

Cons

where to begin....Underappreciated, underpaid, and just generally going under. Six district managers, four regional managers, ungodly turnover. Having to work every single holiday wasn't cool either. Not being allowed to take vacation at a time when all families get together. And the biggest failure of all....powerplay. WE all got played right into the ground. this was the poorest managed company I have ever seen. Thanks upper management for losing us our jobs.

Advice to Management

IT is waaay too late for feedback, stores are closing left and right. I will be shocked and suprised if there are any stores at all left in a few months, but if there are, stop powerplay, treat your employees like worthwhile people, and def. be more customer friendly, quit trying to bug people to death.

8. "I used to strongly enjoy my job with this company, but as of late have lost that."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MO

Pros

I enjoy my customers and their appreciation for my work. I believe that the company has strong abilities to adapt and over come the current economic crisis.

Cons

I am not appreciated by upper management. I do not receive proper training for new program roll-outs. My numbers speak for themselves, but am still looked at as less than an asset to the company.

Advice to Management

I believe that the company should get more feedback from customers and less from upper management who are just looking to make numbers seem to stand out.

"My Aspect of MG"

Pros

Getting free rentals and being able to view them before they went out on the floor, and my manager was really good to work with me when I needed days off. Other than that...nothing.

Cons

I think they need to stop spending so much money on signs and things like that and possibly give the employees a needed raise or even perhaps more hrs and lets face it...or it would be nice to have an extra person in the store and be able to take a break. This company wasnt like this when I first was hired. There was always at least 2 people in the store on friday and saturday nights. but now there is one...and god help if you need to go to the bathroom. Maybe if you are lucky you will get time to grab a bite of something. I am appauled at the fact they spend so much money in printing their signs that not really anyone notices. its SELL SELL SELL...PP PP PP. It doesnt matter if the 10 out 12 you wait on have it. or maybe you have only sold 3 this week...or maybe no customers at all...maybe the ones that have came in already have it....You are still expected to sell it...or else get written up. I think this will be MG's downfall because someone decided that we had to get a CC or get 3 months cash in advance...apparently they have never dealt with the public to know how everyday people are. Alot of people will not do this..and neither would I after getting quiet a few calls about cards being charged that werent supposed to be. And now they tell us we have to give a gift card instead of a refund to the card. Thats Absurb. I had a good manager probably one of the best I have seen. But I know the DM was breathing down his neck...God help should he not get his bonus. Nevermind the poor souls that are in there taking the heat for minimun wage while he gets his new TV or trip. But at this rate, he wont get many more bonuses. I feel like its a matter of time until MG is out of Business esp with as many stores closing that there are.

Advice to Management

Stop spending so much money on signs and things in that order that only get left for a short period of time. And if you would Stop requiring a CC and PP would sell alot better. I know a store where they are not asking for a CC. The Mgr has bought a prepaid card in her name from walmart and uses it. and its selling like crazy. This is Unfair to those of us that are trying to sell it the correct way. its sad that there are people getting terminated for not selling it the right way. I have for the first time tonight sat down and looked at all the bad reports online about MG and the complaints that people have. if something isnt changed soon this company will go under.
      Have you all checked Family Video prices lately? Their Core collection as you call it...is 1.00 and kids movies are free.

"All downhill.."

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative

Pros

- My manager is amazing. She listens to us and attempts to help us. She is pretty fair about giving us days off.

- Free rentals are my favorite perk. We are allowed free rentals of movies the week prior to street date and also permitted to rent anything that has been on the shelves for at least 30 days.

- If you need insurance, the package is affordable.

Cons

- Lack of hours. As previously mentioned, a lot of stores are only allowed to have one person per shift. Plus MG/ HV has stated what hours they feel as if the manager should work which leaves us with the little 3 hour shifts which are hardly worth working.

- Lack of break time. In my store, we're supposed to lock the door in order to use the restroom. Well, if I have a steady trickle of customer's that isn't possible. And I'm sure if I was able to lock the door and somebody complained about not being able to get in I would be in trouble. I'm not a person that likes to take lunch breaks...but not being able to take restroom breaks is a little bit ridiculous.

- Powerplay. We are now being punished if we are unable to sell Powerplay to customers. I could understand if the program was run differently...but forcing customers to use a credit card or pay three months up front actually hurts my efforts. My hours were actually cut for the next two weeks due to my inability to force customers to give me their credit cards. I'm presently looking for another job as I know it won't get any better. I'm expected to sell Powerplay in order to get my hours back? How can I sell Powerplay if I'm not there? It's also not fair because I can spend the time to talk a customer up. Something as simple as their forgetting their credit card prevents them from buying. The next time they come in prepared to buy the package somebody else gets the credit for it because they happen to be lucky enough to be working.

Also, customers are getting upset because Powerplay permits other customers to keep items for as long as they like. This causes the item to not be available for the next person, sometimes for a month or two, and they in turn yell at me.

Advice to Management

-Rethink Powerplay. We did really well at the start of the program due to the month by month option. Maybe that could be your last resort? I had a lot of parents and grandparents that were allowing children to purchase Powerplay but of course these children don't have credit/ debit cards and wouldn't be able to use them since they're not the primary account holder.

Don't threaten us with our jobs. That only makes us NOT want to work for you more.