Movoto Reviews | Glassdoor

3.4
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Movoto CEO Imtiyaz Haque
Imtiyaz Haque

1. "Solid Engineering Department"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Mateo, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Mateo, CA

I worked at Movoto full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The engineering department at Movoto is full of true professionals both in San Mateo and abroad. They're legitimately some of the warmest, most talented people you will ever work with.

The former CTO (Imtiyaz) is now CEO--during my time at the company, he had a knack for putting together and managing a stellar software engineering team and I trust him to take the business itself in the right direction.

Career/growth opportunities for engineers were both available and appropriately merit-based.

Cons

It's easy to get siloed into one project once your superiors realize you are good at something. They make an effort to shuffle engineers around from project to project to make sure we keep diversifying our skills, but sometimes these opportunities are limited.

My interdepartmental contributions were a mixed bag, and felt a little discouraged at times from contributing my ideas regarding business strategy.

Advice to Management

This is not regarding the engineering department per se, but:

Don't allow yourself to become so entrenched in dogma regarding strategy. Suggestions for alternative approaches are sometimes (quite aggressively) shot down or spoken over in meetings, and this is an uphill battle that employees should not have to fight in order to be heard. Ideas should win out based on merit and not the personality type of the messenger.

2. "Movoto has the potential to be the most recognized real estate brand in the United States."

Current Employee - Operations in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Operations in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Movoto full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company is well funded and it is led by a team of experienced entrepreneurs. It also has a good history of providing a real service to both clients and agents alike. Movoto has a family culture with a startup mentality.

Cons

Most recently there have been some changes in the vision and Movoto has experienced a number of growing pains. Going from a boot strapped start-up to a well funded series c-d firm can be a challenging phase.

Advice to Management

Please continue to listen to your employees and it will only improve the overall culture. Also don't forget what attributed to Movoto's success - working hard should be rewarded and done often.

"Great opportunity! Exciting times!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Movoto full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- There's a lot of market opportunity for Movoto. (This past summer we became the only online Real Estate Brokerage licensed in all 50 states.) And I see continued strong investment for growth by the company
    - The new executive team has really taken our feedback to heart and has made significant positive changes
    - There's a clear vision and strategy for our growth, including a road map with milestones to achieve it. Updates are shared from the different teams/departments on our progress during our "lunch & learn's"
    - Everyone is wicked smart and we have a lot of fun. Collaboration is high. And the company culture is more like a family. There's a real commitment to employees and recognition of people's efforts, challenges and successes
    - There's plenty of opportunity for experience and career growth at Movoto. You just need to own your career and work with your manager. I've personally been able to grow and take on a new role in the company and I love it
    - Great work-life balance. We have a flexible work schedule that allows me to come in and leave without feeling like I need to punch a clock or "do face time"
    - And of course, we get all the typical start-up perks: a fully stocked kitchen, foosball and ping-pong contests, game nights, fun events and parties, swag, etc.

Wish we could grow even faster!

Cons

- Just your standard high-tech issues such as off-shore developers which requires clear communication, flexibility to manage time zones and sensitivity to their not being in HQ and having real-time feedback/input as we do in HQ
    - Moving quickly and being responsive to opportunity means some employees have to learn to adapt to change better

Advice to Management

Keep up the momentum you've created and continue to hire great people who are experienced and passionate for growth and our collective success!

"Demoralizing Experience"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

I worked at Movoto full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people at the front lines are great. Very relaxing and welcoming office environment, great perks like free food and lots of fun company outings.

Cons

Management treats you like a child. They make decisions behind the scenes and then force everyone else to fall in line. As opposed to other companies where there is a hierarchy, the structure here is: executives vs. everyone else. Whether you're senior or entry level, you're treated like you have no idea what you're doing unless you're part of the executive team.

Advice to Management

Have faith in your team. Treat your team with respect and value their skills and their ideas.

Mar 6, 2017 – Director of People

As of 1/1/2017 We have a new leadership team in place. The Leadership team has been working hard to align people and teams better so that employees feel more empowered to bring forth their ideas and ... More

"Frequent shake-ups, disorganized company"

Former Employee - Product in San Mateo, CA
    Former Employee - Product in San Mateo, CA

I worked at Movoto full-time (More than a year)

Pros

pay on time
    free lunch once a week
    MLS partner for almost all states in US

Cons

Lack of short or long term vision
    Being a direct MLS partner doesn't help, if your product is not set up to scale
    Ambitious goals to beat others in industry but no strategy in place
    Language problems with overseas and parent company employees

Advice to Management

get your act together! Set clear, achievable goals and then hire right employees. Don't hire and fire or lay off people just because your goals are not clear.

Mar 6, 2017 – Director of People

As of 1/1/2017 Our new Leadership team has been working hard to set clear goals and strategy. 2020 vision is clear and focused and we are headed on a great path forward!

"Software engineer"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Movoto full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great culture and teams- Management are awesome and everyone is more than willing to drop what they're doing to help aid a fellow co worker.

Cons

Fast-paced environment may be tough to adapt/handle for some

Advice to Management

Thanks for showing such belief in our teams and also individually.

Mar 6, 2017 – Director of People

We are thrilled about our progress and look forward to a bright future.

"Up and Down"

Former Employee - Client Relations Associate in San Mateo, CA
    Former Employee - Client Relations Associate in San Mateo, CA

Pros

Working with great people, many events and perks,

Cons

High turnover, no direction or end goal, low pay and few raises, unreachable goals, limited career opportunities

Advice to Management

Stay behind your team, keep them in the loop

"Not What They Promise You"

Former Employee - Account Executive in San Mateo, CA
    Former Employee - Account Executive in San Mateo, CA

I worked at Movoto (Less than a year)

Pros

The team is young and has a good energy
    The platform is versatile and a good site for buying houses

Cons

Executives are clueless as to the struggles on the front lines - there is very clear miscommunication that allocates blame on the wrong parties to keep current power dynamics
    Culture change after Japanese acquisition
    New management and executives that were brought in have no idea how to move forward and failing at every turn

Advice to Management

Listen to workers and don't blame them for the shortcomings they warned you about in original structuring

"Won"

Former Employee - Business Development Specialist in San Mateo, CA
    Former Employee - Business Development Specialist in San Mateo, CA

Pros

what can I say, MOVOTO is a fast growing company with endless opportunity for growth and advancement. It's a truly a fun place to work at with a culture that you could never find any where else. The people who work there are all hard workers but they all make time to keep it fun and casual.

Cons

Only bad thing I can really say is that the pay but the culture more than makes up for it

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work and keep the culture going! I truly believe this no where else will you find a company like MOVOTO

"Hard work will not go unnoticed"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Movoto full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Company goals are transparent, fun company culture, free food/snacks, good opportunity for growth, and employees are recognized for their hard work and achievement.

Cons

A lot of tasks and not enough employees to get everything done. This is attributed to the rapid company growth, but is getting better with the hiring of new employees.

Advice to Management

Try to be more competitive with compensation and benefits.