Moxie Reviews in Atlanta, GA | Glassdoor

Updated January 4, 2017

Atlanta, GA Area

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Sean Reardon

Pros
  • They have added great things like treat Tuesdays and Free Lunch Fridays that really make employees feel appreciated (in 34 reviews)

• Large agency offers great perks (free lunch fridays, lots of PTO, great benefits) and resources (smart people, new technology and tools) (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • Top heavy management, long hours, no work life balance, get in where you fit in mentality (in 9 reviews)

• The high-level decision makers and upper senior management were subpar (in 13 reviews)

1. "Intern"

Former Intern - Intern in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Moxie as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Such a fun environment to work in with real, hands-on, agency experience. The pay is great and interns are typically offered a position at the end of their term.

Cons

When you apply, you mark the areas you're interested in but they end up placing you in whatever department they think you fit best. Luckily, I liked where I ended up.

2. "Decent for Large Agency"

Former Employee - Project Coordinator in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Project Coordinator in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Moxie full-time

Pros

Cons

Pay is not always fair, expected to work long hours, not always clear path of mobility

"Great company with amazing benefits"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Moxie full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Super smart people and in incredible client roster that is growing more and more diversified.
    Company benefits are better than anywhere I’ve ever worked, by a long shot.
    Outstanding advancement opportunity if you work hard and place value on the relationships formed there.
    Having worked at many agencies and on the client-side, I can honestly say I’ve never been happier. At Moxie, I’ve been afforded learning opportunities regularly, I have an open door to all managers when I need it (up the highest level), I have autonomy to get my job done and yet I still have the flexibility to take care of my family. What more can you ask for?

Cons

It’s an extremely fast-paced environment (which I enjoy) but isn’t for everyone. If you can’t keep up, this isn’t the place for you.

Advice to Management

Continue working on transparency at all levels – great progress in the past year but always room for improvement. Also, be sure to recognize and listen to the middle layer (directors and such). These folks are on the ground day after day, working with both entry-level people and upper managers. They have very valuable input!

"Learn everything you can while you're there"

Former Employee - Media Planner in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Media Planner in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Moxie full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I enjoyed my time at Moxie. I took advantage of all the connections I made and still do business with several colleagues I met while there. The environment can be a bit clique-ish, but it's easy to avoid. First, at the lunch and learn, don't sit next to the manager that says so and so got wasted last night and is wearing the same pants from yesterday. Or the Director that's having a temper tantrum because a partner didn't get him tickets to Music Midtown. Unfortunately, it's a keep your head down and your nose clean environment. But you will learn everything about digital marketing and be a rock star when you take your talent elsewhere.

Cons

In 2012, there were no cons to being gainfully employed in a recession.

Advice to Management

Be more appreciative of the talent. There are tons of people who are a lot smarter than you all.

"Such an amazing place to work!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Moxie (Less than a year)

Pros

The culture at Moxie is it's greatest asset. From HR to the Exec Committee, Moxie leadership makes a point to make the employees feel they are valued. I've never worked at a company where HR is so involved and proactive. It's refreshing. Work/Life balance is very important. Moxie is SO much more than an advertising agency-- it's technology, marketing, social, the future! The employees are very talented and lead by mangers who encourage growth and innovation. Employees are constantly recognized for their great work. It's a magical place to work with all of the growth and leadership and I cannot wait to see what the future holds for our amazing company!

Great events, communication, CLIENTS, technology and corporate benefits.

Cons

Moxie used to have a lukewarm reputation; however, that has really turned around. While the agency offers great educational opportunities and seminars, sometimes they are just so-so. More often than not, the education is great and we are really lucky to have a company who invests in the employees. I think depth in the topics could strengthen learnings.

Advice to Management

Keep up the momentum and make sure to listen to the mid-level employees for feedback.

"This is not what you want"

Former Employee - PMO Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - PMO Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Moxie full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great Benefits, free lunch Fridays, competitive pay, outside of the box thinking, teams were proactive, team building exercises were plentiful

Cons

Fast turnover, upward mobility occurs to fast, clickish environment. Top heavy management, long hours, no work life balance, get in where you fit in mentality

Advice to Management

Pay attention all of your employees. Mentoring for all from upper management, cross functional team learning, respect each other

8. "Internship program"

Former Intern - Intern in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Moxie as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

This was my first time experiencing agency life, and I was very pleased. The recruiting was a bit frustrating -- took very long to even hear that I got an interview. Once the internship program began, we were all hired a mentor. My mentor was very open to letting my shadow other departments, sit in on meetings, etc.

Cons

I didn't experience this as an intern (only allowed to work 40 hours a week), but employees tend to be worked very hard. By the end of the internship, it seemed like I was doing a lot of irrelevant work and not treated as respectively (which is strange because you think it would have been the other way around). They don't extend offers to anyone who isn't already graduated, and even then, they only extend a few.

9. "Great people, culture and benefits/perks"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Pros

There are a lot of talented people who work here. Agency-wide, there's an active/successful effort to integrate thinking and strategies across disciplines. The work is challenging and diverse -- at least in my area -- and folks come together to get sh*t done. Benefits are great. Medical/dental/vision, etc. plus tons of time off (if you're able to take it), free lunch on Friday's, beer/wine on Friday's, lots of training/education available and just a great and supportive culture overall.

Cons

There are a few folks who don't pull their weight and (this is just how it is at agencies) a hearty selection of people with oversized egos. Taking time off can be impossible (again, that's agency life) and the organization can be a little too "top-heavy" at times. That may be shifting, though, as the new CEO Sean Reardon continues to get his bearings and implement new positioning, structural changes, etc.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing, though even more support, listening and transparency are always welcome.

"Wish I Never Worked here!"

Former Employee - Media in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Media in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Moxie full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

they offer stupid perks like free lunch to distract you from the real things you should care about in benefits and work-life balance

Cons

ZERO work-life balance. I left this place because I never stopped working, and for peanuts! They know it, so in your interview they'll challenge you to think about keeping up with the pace of their awesome-ness- when in reality they're just trying to bill more to clients through hours. I left the company for a higher paying position, jumped my pay 25k. Then, got recruited for a different position, jumped another 25k with second calling. In the amount of time I left, taking the second company's offer, I make 6 figures - having doubled my original Moxie salary. In the 4 years I spend at Moxie, I know I'd never see such money staying, being loyal - helping them with turnover issues and all that, for what?!

You're expected to work on days you take off with your Flex and Vacation pay. You're expected to work on Holidays and weekend when the company is closed, you know - because advertisements save lives. You're tied to the phone they provided you, maintaining varied correspondence like you're on-call 24/7.

Health plan changes from corporate are drastic from 2015 to 2016, as many expected. Deductible more than doubled, covered provides and services changes drastically. However, they convince you to join the Flex HSA - guess what happens is if you leave the company! All the money you put in is lost if you didn't spend it already. Ridiculous, if you put your money aside, it shouldn't matter if you exit your employment, it is STILL YOUR MONEY!

Advice to Management

GET OVER YOURSELVES! Walking around like you're the most important things on the planet with your priority on overbiling and financal documetns to Zenith!
    Act like you understand all of this is about service and betterment of people and the client's wellbeing (all those companies that fund you) that build the economy and this great nation.

"Management is a problem."

Former Employee - Project Management in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Project Management in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Moxie full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The perks are great. Free lunch Friday, lots of vacation.

Cons

Management is a huge issue from direct line managers to department leads, to the executive team.

There is not one level that I didn't see inexperience, cattiness, aggression and some of the most egregious mistakes in an agency setting that I've seen thus far in my career.

Account leads responsible for the brands' vision have no training in the digital or traditional space nor are they really expected to spend time learning anything. They also are not given management training or mentorships. These people are responsible not only for millions of dollars for these brands, but people's careers with little to no way of telling if they are doing it correctly. So the end results are passive aggressive tactics with the team and for lack of a better term "winging it" on basically every campaign decision put in front of them.

For department leads, a very large percentage of them are there as legacies. Going on a decade at Moxie, they've never experienced anything other than this agency and it shows. They maneuver and manipulate every scenario to ensure they stay in their position. One person went so far as to place themselves between the largest client and the rest of the agency. They became invaluable to this one client, forgetting all the rest, which in turn made them un-fireable even when it was clear that this person was hurting the business and the agency overall.

Finally the c-level folks. One person on this team actually said to me once "we don't need to hire strategic people. We need to make everyone strategic enough.".....LOL WHAT??

So yea, I got out of there because there is no way that a place with this much disfunction in leadership roles is good for an employee or frankly, the clients.

Advice to Management

You have got to take a close look at the people running things. Set standards, interview employees.