Moxie Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.7
Sean Reardon

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Fantastic benefits and perks - working from home, free lunch Fridays and awesome swag" (in 40 reviews)

• "They have added great things like treat Tuesdays and Free Lunch Fridays that really make employees feel appreciated" (in 26 reviews)

Cons
  • "Work/life balance was questionable" (in 12 reviews)

• "Long hours, however not uncommon for agencies" (in 15 reviews)

"Huge Opportunities and Room to Grow"

Current Employee - Senior Art Director in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Senior Art Director in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Moxie full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Currently, the leadership at Moxie is tenacious and driving growth in the company. There have been big opportunities in TV and brand activations that have been challenging and fun to work on. I feel pushed (in a good way) every day and am constantly learning and growing. In the 9 months that I've been here, I've learned more and grown more than anywhere else I've worked.

The leadership will indulge your curiosity and ambition if you step up and make your desires known. If you have extra talents and abilities and you want to use them at work, leadership will find a place for you to use them.

Conversely, if you feel overwhelmed, overworked or generally have been spending too many late nights at the office (it happens) you WILL NOT be judged for making your personal needs known. Leadership will pivot and try to lighten your workload or be flexible if possible to give you some wellness time. This is a judgement free workplace and I've never done so much in so little time, while also having my mental health respected.

Cons

As with any agency, there are late nights. More often than not, you will know ahead of time what your week will shape up to be, but sometimes there are surprises. This is something that happens in any agency, but the difference at Moxie is that you are THANKED and you actually feel appreciated. Leadership will go out of their way to make sure you're happy when you're working your butt off.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing and keep growing the teams.

2. "It's time to look elsewhere"

I have been working at Moxie full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Ton of snacks
    - Free lunch Fridays
    - The dogs, the dogs, and the dog lovers (but there are a few weirdos who don't like dogs.. which I wonder why they're hired in the first place)
    - Most people you work with are super smart and genuinely kind (minus management)

Cons

- Open office in a concrete warehouse with a brew of extroverts makes it very noisy and an introverts worst nightmare
    - The management team pretends to be a bunch of "female empowering" leaders, but are low key bros or the women in management feel the need to over-exert themselves to be a PMSy to fit in with leadership
    - Turnover rate has been through the roof in the past few months with massive firings, and at least 2 people quitting per week for the past 2 months.
    - Due to the above statement, work/life balance does not exist and the normal expectation is that you do your duty and work the weekends
    - Lots of rumors that Moxie is not financially stable
    - Unsure how Moxie's creative leadership received promotions when the team supporting them are working in over-drive, and when Moxie lost a bunch of clients

Advice to Management

Please stop trying to re-live your frat days at Moxie.

3. "Sweatshop or Agency"

I worked at Moxie full-time

Pros

Moxie provides free lunches for its employees every Friday.
    You have the opportunity to work with big clients.

Cons

You're expected to be available 24/7, and there is 0 work/life balance. Most employees have their normal job with client work, and then you're expected to be working on internal Moxie projects or new business pitches on top of everything else going on.

The management is also incredibly weak and lazy, I wish I knew how to play the politics poker well to rise to the top. I've never been at a company where managers bark orders all day. There is no transparency between leadership and the day-to-day employees about company direction.

The past few months has also been a revolving door of employees with people quitting left and right, and Moxie has not been hiring to backfill these positions. Moxie is losing its shine compared to where it stood a few years ago.

Advice to Management

Truly evaluate your SVPs and EVPs and ask yourself which does not belong, then ask yourself why they're still there.. it's soeasy to lay off competent workers but why not incompetent execs?

"Creative Posers"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Moxie full-time

Pros

The best things about working at Moxie are free lunch Fridays, a dog friendly work environment, solid benefits, and lots of company holidays.

Cons

Moxie has the opportunity to be a lot cooler than it is. They’ve done a good job establishing an in-house production studio and making an effort to win some interesting business. Sadly, the work produced at Moxie is extraordinarily average. The glaring problem with this mediocrity is that senior leadership, especially in creative, doesn’t acknowledge the work needs to be better. I’m not sure if it’s ignorance, incompetence, or just bad taste, but the leadership at Moxie loves to tout work as breaking barriers when in reality it’s just following in other agency’s footsteps.

Culturally, Moxie is a disaster. There is an ever-present “sinking-ship” vibe with employees leaving every week to seek better opportunities. There are some talented people at Moxie but I think their skills are wasted on mis-managed, soul-sucking garbage projects. This atmosphere of despair is exasperated by the blatant lack of communication. On the rare occasions creative leadership communicates anything, it’s only to overstate how well things are going. Because of this, there is no sense of larger company goals or meaningful collaboration amongst employees.

Advice to Management

I would say that Moxie’s leadership needs to communicate better, but I’m not sure that they have anything to say. There seems to be very little vision or skills necessary to execute a vision of what the company could become.

"Don't be sucked in by their promises or nice benefits"

Former Employee - Senior Analyst in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Senior Analyst in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Moxie full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice benefits like free lunch Friday and an all you can eat snack wall.

Cons

Analytics is a very close knit bunch: they are not welcoming to outsiders. I found working for their Analytics department that upper management has no idea how to manage their employees, and everyone is sort of lost, working endless hours, trying to please their supervisor.

In addition, as a salaried employee, I have never been so closely watched. They will relentlessly count your minutes while away at lunch and monitor when you enter and leave the facility.

And if a client decides to leave, and if you aren't a favorite, you will be manipulated into a new role (one that you might not qualify for), and they will fire you under a "Performance Review" later. I saw it happen multiple times.

And the pay will be considerably lower than other comparable agencies in the area, I learned that the hard way.

Advice to Management

Change management!

"Hope you like buzzwords."

Former Employee - Creative in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Creative in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Moxie full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Sweet space. Shame that a cooler agency doesn’t call it home. Oh, and snacks! A whole wall of free snacks!

Cons

The actual agency itself. They’re not who they think they are.

Advice to Management

Stop using buzzwords. Do better work. Hire creatives who can think deeper.

"Not recommending for experienced"

Former Employee - Graphic Designer in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Graphic Designer in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Moxie full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

dynamical, learning opportunities for beginners

Cons

chaos, losing competition edge, need to find right model

Advice to Management

manage projects and customers better

"Are you a female creative? Let's play Male Management Bingo!"

I worked at Moxie full-time

Pros

While your male counterparts are seen as "talented," "boundary pushing," and "analytical thinkers," what will be YOUR label?
    - Difficult
    - Abrasive
    - Combative
    - Aggressive
    OR
    - Argumentative

To find out just: 1. be a woman 2. have an opinion AND 3. work at Moxie!

Cons

But wait... there's more! Get ready to be condescended to on a daily (almost hourly) basis, be paid significantly less than your male counterparts, AND have your ideas stolen by male higher-ups... just for being a woman in creative!

Advice to Management

While you're hanging out in the 60s and hemorrhaging talent, the rest of us will be moving on to 21st century ideals like fair pay and equal treatment.

"Mileage may vary, but an overall good place to work."

Former Employee - Analyst in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Analyst in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Moxie full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- The perks and benefits are out of this world. 39 days off including company holidays, an onsite masseuse/chiropractor every week, and an eye doctor that comes to the office.
    - The building is incredibly cool. Typical agency perks like a beer fridge and snack room. Lots of mini-events and team outings for bonding. Moxie Mayhem, an annual event in May, is one of the coolest company events I've ever been a part of.
    - Generally speaking, I didn't meet one person I didn't like.
    - The clients are generally high-brow household names which is great for your resume. Because of this, clients usually have budget that permits working on really neat projects.
    - My team always had access to whatever tools we needed to get our job done and there was a strong culture around making sure everyone was able to learn.
    - There was a good deal of internal promotions while I was there.
    - The culture of diversity and inclusion was top-notch. I was so impressed with the Business Resource Groups. My department was incredibly diverse.
    - All of my managers were incredibly smart and talented people. I didn't work with one person where I questioned, "How the hell did they get this job?"
    - Everyone had the phyiscal resources they needed. The company provided updated computer hardware not once, but twice while I was working at Moxie.

Cons

- I was never properly onboarded and then derided for not having knowledge of critical tools. I would say this was unusual, based on a pro listed above, but it also happened to another person hired around the same time as me. I would be providing a lower overall rating if I didn't believe this was unusual.
    - I only had a direct manager for 1/4 of my time at Moxie. I made this concern known to upper management multiple times and was dismissed with a "we're working on it." Because of this, I was didn't have a boss to have open and honest conversation about it or someone to back me up. This lack of management was a result of internal promotions which is great, but to go 6 months consecutively (8 months total) without a direct manager is ridiculous.
    - Moxie is very cliquey. Managers have obvious favorites and obvious disregard or open resentment for others. There's heavy favoritism shown to employees who are former interns, boomerang hires, or those who have been there for 2+ years. Additionally, several employees on my team had a private Slack channel dedicated to bashing and gossiping other employees in the department.
    - Work/life balance was questionable. On my team specifically, most of the managers rarely left at a reasonable hour. One of the managers in my department received "Most likely to never take time off" as an end of the year superlative. As a result, I think there was a lot of trickle-down fear-based work style. People would stay late even when they had little-to-no reason to do so.
    - Work allocation was questionable. Some weeks I was barely hitting 40 hours of work and other weeks I worked 65 hours and was up until midnight. This was not related to major client deliverables, just an unbalanced allocation. I didn't feel comfortable asking for more work or offloading because my workload was unpredictable.
    - Pay is on the lower end. I got a 20% raise for the same title at another company when I resigned.
    - The holding company (Publicis Groupe) ended during work hours alcohol at the end of 2017.
    - The internal server for client documents was absolutely horrible. There was no established naming conventions for folders and 6 months into my job, I still didn't know where to find relevant client information.
    - There is no internal communication tool (as of when I left) besides Microsoft Lync which is less than optimal. No Slack, Signal, or even Microsoft Teams usage.

Advice to Management

Focus on keeping teams properly staffed. Break away from showing obvious favoritism. Develop team-by-team onboarding processes. Organize the server.

"Don’t let them fool you"

I have been working at Moxie full-time (More than a year)

Pros

When I first started at Moxie, I was bright-eyed and bushy-tailed. I was dazzled by the roster of clients, the people, the culture (Beer! Snacks! Dogs! Holidays! Benefits!), and the fast-paced work. It was exciting, and I’ve been lucky enough to work on some pretty cool projects for some pretty cool clients.

Cons

Moxie is touted as a place you can grow, which is true if you’re a man or if you suck up enough, especially in creative. The creative department is a disaster in terms of organization, and the leadership fosters bro culture at its finest. From laying off every woman (under the guise of “financial cutbacks”) who had the balls to speak out against terrible leadership (in an environment where defending yourself and your work is encouraged, mind you) to handing out promotions just weeks later to nearly all men, Moxie is all talk. They don’t care about you. They don’t care about equality. They will say they care about fostering women in leadership and taking care of their own. And then they’ll hire another man. All while the women in creative are so overworked they can barely breathe, and they’re told to “calm down” when they complain about anything.

If you go to HR, nothing will happen or you’ll be let go. Talking to people in charge means you’re “being difficult.” Plus you’ll probably be let go for speaking in the first place so does it even matter? Probably not.

Advice to Management

Listen to the people who actually do the work that you get credit for. Hire more women. Hear the feedback and make adjustments. Don’t get rid of good people simply because they disagree and challenge you. You should be hiring and working with people who you can teach, inspire, and who can grow into leaders. Instead, you reward bad behavior and burn out the people who deserve praise and promotion. Wake up.