Moxie Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.2
Sean Reardon

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Fantastic benefits and perks - working from home, free lunch Fridays and awesome swag" (in 37 reviews)

• "Great Benefits, free lunch Fridays, competitive pay, outside of the box thinking, teams were proactive, team building exercises were plentiful" (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • "Work/life balance was questionable" (in 10 reviews)

• "Long hours, however not uncommon for agencies" (in 15 reviews)

"Huge Opportunities and Room to Grow"

Current Employee - Senior Art Director in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Senior Art Director in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Moxie full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Currently, the leadership at Moxie is tenacious and driving growth in the company. There have been big opportunities in TV and brand activations that have been challenging and fun to work on. I feel pushed (in a good way) every day and am constantly learning and growing. In the 9 months that I've been here, I've learned more and grown more than anywhere else I've worked.

The leadership will indulge your curiosity and ambition if you step up and make your desires known. If you have extra talents and abilities and you want to use them at work, leadership will find a place for you to use them.

Conversely, if you feel overwhelmed, overworked or generally have been spending too many late nights at the office (it happens) you WILL NOT be judged for making your personal needs known. Leadership will pivot and try to lighten your workload or be flexible if possible to give you some wellness time. This is a judgement free workplace and I've never done so much in so little time, while also having my mental health respected.

Cons

As with any agency, there are late nights. More often than not, you will know ahead of time what your week will shape up to be, but sometimes there are surprises. This is something that happens in any agency, but the difference at Moxie is that you are THANKED and you actually feel appreciated. Leadership will go out of their way to make sure you're happy when you're working your butt off.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing and keep growing the teams.

2. "Hope you like buzzwords."

Former Employee - Creative in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Creative in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Moxie full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Sweet space. Shame that a cooler agency doesn’t call it home. Oh, and snacks! A whole wall of free snacks!

Cons

The actual agency itself. They’re not who they think they are.

Advice to Management

Stop using buzzwords. Do better work. Hire creatives who can think deeper.

"Not recommending for experienced"

Former Employee - Graphic Designer in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Graphic Designer in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Moxie full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

dynamical, learning opportunities for beginners

Cons

chaos, losing competition edge, need to find right model

Advice to Management

manage projects and customers better

"Are you a female creative? Let's play Male Management Bingo!"

I worked at Moxie full-time

Pros

While your male counterparts are seen as "talented," "boundary pushing," and "analytical thinkers," what will be YOUR label?
    - Difficult
    - Abrasive
    - Combative
    - Aggressive
    OR
    - Argumentative

To find out just: 1. be a woman 2. have an opinion AND 3. work at Moxie!

Cons

But wait... there's more! Get ready to be condescended to on a daily (almost hourly) basis, be paid significantly less than your male counterparts, AND have your ideas stolen by male higher-ups... just for being a woman in creative!

Advice to Management

While you're hanging out in the 60s and hemorrhaging talent, the rest of us will be moving on to 21st century ideals like fair pay and equal treatment.

"Don’t let them fool you"

I have been working at Moxie full-time (More than a year)

Pros

When I first started at Moxie, I was bright-eyed and bushy-tailed. I was dazzled by the roster of clients, the people, the culture (Beer! Snacks! Dogs! Holidays! Benefits!), and the fast-paced work. It was exciting, and I’ve been lucky enough to work on some pretty cool projects for some pretty cool clients.

Cons

Moxie is touted as a place you can grow, which is true if you’re a man or if you suck up enough, especially in creative. The creative department is a disaster in terms of organization, and the leadership fosters bro culture at its finest. From laying off every woman (under the guise of “financial cutbacks”) who had the balls to speak out against terrible leadership (in an environment where defending yourself and your work is encouraged, mind you) to handing out promotions just weeks later to nearly all men, Moxie is all talk. They don’t care about you. They don’t care about equality. They will say they care about fostering women in leadership and taking care of their own. And then they’ll hire another man. All while the women in creative are so overworked they can barely breathe, and they’re told to “calm down” when they complain about anything.

If you go to HR, nothing will happen or you’ll be let go. Talking to people in charge means you’re “being difficult.” Plus you’ll probably be let go for speaking in the first place so does it even matter? Probably not.

Advice to Management

Listen to the people who actually do the work that you get credit for. Hire more women. Hear the feedback and make adjustments. Don’t get rid of good people simply because they disagree and challenge you. You should be hiring and working with people who you can teach, inspire, and who can grow into leaders. Instead, you reward bad behavior and burn out the people who deserve praise and promotion. Wake up.

"Toxic & Hostile"

I have been working at Moxie full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Dogs / Snacks / Free Lunch Friday / Great Benefits

Cons

Oh, god. Where to start. Upper management in creative is hostile and there is zero work/life balance. "Leadership" is very white male dominated. Women who speak up get eye rolls and are considered to be a pain in the you-know-what. Be prepared to be spoken to disrespectfully or deal with a temper tantrum from a grown man.

The amount of PTO days off is attractive but you'll most likely have to work, be on call, or still get a phone call on your overseas vacation. Every project kick off seems to start with, "This is a big project with a very short timeline." If you're a workaholic and think that creating ads is the end all be all, this place is for you. If you like doing anything outside of work and want to have time with your family and friends, stay away.

Advice to Management

Be leaders, not bossholes.

"Mileage may vary, but an overall good place to work."

Former Employee - Analyst in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Analyst in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Moxie full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- The perks and benefits are out of this world. 39 days off including company holidays, an onsite masseuse/chiropractor every week, and an eye doctor that comes to the office.
    - The building is incredibly cool. Typical agency perks like a beer fridge and snack room. Lots of mini-events and team outings for bonding. Moxie Mayhem, an annual event in May, is one of the coolest company events I've ever been a part of.
    - Generally speaking, I didn't meet one person I didn't like.
    - The clients are generally high-brow household names which is great for your resume. Because of this, clients usually have budget that permits working on really neat projects.
    - My team always had access to whatever tools we needed to get our job done and there was a strong culture around making sure everyone was able to learn.
    - There was a good deal of internal promotions while I was there.
    - The culture of diversity and inclusion was top-notch. I was so impressed with the Business Resource Groups. My department was incredibly diverse.
    - All of my managers were incredibly smart and talented people. I didn't work with one person where I questioned, "How the hell did they get this job?"
    - Everyone had the phyiscal resources they needed. The company provided updated computer hardware not once, but twice while I was working at Moxie.

Cons

- I was never properly onboarded and then derided for not having knowledge of critical tools. I would say this was unusual, based on a pro listed above, but it also happened to another person hired around the same time as me. I would be providing a lower overall rating if I didn't believe this was unusual.
    - I only had a direct manager for 1/4 of my time at Moxie. I made this concern known to upper management multiple times and was dismissed with a "we're working on it." Because of this, I was didn't have a boss to have open and honest conversation about it or someone to back me up. This lack of management was a result of internal promotions which is great, but to go 6 months consecutively (8 months total) without a direct manager is ridiculous.
    - Moxie is very cliquey. Managers have obvious favorites and obvious disregard or open resentment for others. There's heavy favoritism shown to employees who are former interns, boomerang hires, or those who have been there for 2+ years. Additionally, several employees on my team had a private Slack channel dedicated to bashing and gossiping other employees in the department.
    - Work/life balance was questionable. On my team specifically, most of the managers rarely left at a reasonable hour. One of the managers in my department received "Most likely to never take time off" as an end of the year superlative. As a result, I think there was a lot of trickle-down fear-based work style. People would stay late even when they had little-to-no reason to do so.
    - Work allocation was questionable. Some weeks I was barely hitting 40 hours of work and other weeks I worked 65 hours and was up until midnight. This was not related to major client deliverables, just an unbalanced allocation. I didn't feel comfortable asking for more work or offloading because my workload was unpredictable.
    - Pay is on the lower end. I got a 20% raise for the same title at another company when I resigned.
    - The holding company (Publicis Groupe) ended during work hours alcohol at the end of 2017.
    - The internal server for client documents was absolutely horrible. There was no established naming conventions for folders and 6 months into my job, I still didn't know where to find relevant client information.
    - There is no internal communication tool (as of when I left) besides Microsoft Lync which is less than optimal. No Slack, Signal, or even Microsoft Teams usage.

Advice to Management

Focus on keeping teams properly staffed. Break away from showing obvious favoritism. Develop team-by-team onboarding processes. Organize the server.

"This Place..."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Moxie full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Vacation + Holiday Package
    - Salary was competitive
    - Employers in the southeast recognize the name when you’re trying to leave this hell hole, nobody cares otherwise
    - Snacks

Cons

- Middle Management sucks, they say they want the new and fresh ideas, but are quick to silence them when they come their way
    - Cliqu-ish/leaves out individuals in the same department
    - Every time you go to an interview after working here, people raise an eyebrow and say, “how was that” as if they know the horror of the inside
    - Moxie definitely lacks culture, you can tell the people who have only worked for this agency versus ones who have worked at other agencies - individuals that come from other agencies know that Moxie is NOT the definition of fun and lacks culture
    - This place is truly a circus and full of politics

Advice to Management

Just do better all the way around.

"Great Company, Challenging Work"

I have been working at Moxie full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Moxie invests in its talent and does everything it can to take care of its talent. With its top-notch leadership, invested HR, amazing medical benefits, ridiculous on-site perks and company culture, it truly is the best place to work in Atlanta. Of course, client work has its challenges with quick turnarounds and high-pressure situations, but Moxie does what it can to protect and care for its employees throughout the challenges. Furthermore, Moxie gives its employees many opportunities to grow and learn through consistent training programs.

Cons

It seems that attitudes and standards vary from department to department and as if there are some opportunities for Moxie to tighten up some processes across the agency to ensure the burden of work is equally distributed.
    Attention isn't paid to annual reviews and goal-setting, so the day-to-day can sometimes seem for naught when you don't always know what you're working toward.

Advice to Management

Continue to value your employees and what they bring to the table. Make annual reviews a top priority to keep that talent focused and engaged.

10. "Best Agency"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Moxie full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Fantastic benefits and perks - working from home, free lunch Fridays and awesome swag.

Cons

Sometime tough traffic being so close to the Mercedes-Benz Stadium

Advice to Management

Continue to promote your talent