Moxie Reviews | Glassdoor

Moxie Reviews

Updated April 10, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • They have added great things like treat Tuesdays and Free Lunch Fridays that really make employees feel appreciated (in 34 reviews)

• Large agency offers great perks (free lunch fridays, lots of PTO, great benefits) and resources (smart people, new technology and tools) (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • Top heavy management, long hours, no work life balance, get in where you fit in mentality (in 9 reviews)

• Pay is not always fair, expected to work long hours, not always clear path of mobility (in 12 reviews)

"Management is a problem."

Former Employee - Project Management in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Project Management in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Moxie full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The perks are great. Free lunch Friday, lots of vacation.

Cons

Management is a huge issue from direct line managers to department leads, to the executive team.

There is not one level that I didn't see inexperience, cattiness, aggression and some of the most egregious mistakes in an agency setting that I've seen thus far in my career.

Account leads responsible for the brands' vision have no training in the digital or traditional space nor are they really expected to spend time learning anything. They also are not given management training or mentorships. These people are responsible not only for millions of dollars for these brands, but people's careers with little to no way of telling if they are doing it correctly. So the end results are passive aggressive tactics with the team and for lack of a better term "winging it" on basically every campaign decision put in front of them.

For department leads, a very large percentage of them are there as legacies. Going on a decade at Moxie, they've never experienced anything other than this agency and it shows. They maneuver and manipulate every scenario to ensure they stay in their position. One person went so far as to place themselves between the largest client and the rest of the agency. They became invaluable to this one client, forgetting all the rest, which in turn made them un-fireable even when it was clear that this person was hurting the business and the agency overall.

Finally the c-level folks. One person on this team actually said to me once "we don't need to hire strategic people. We need to make everyone strategic enough.".....LOL WHAT??

So yea, I got out of there because there is no way that a place with this much disfunction in leadership roles is good for an employee or frankly, the clients.

Advice to Management

You have got to take a close look at the people running things. Set standards, interview employees.

2. "Great company with awesome people"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Moxie full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good benefits and perks, awesome coworkers, beautiful location, high profile clients

Cons

Hours are pretty long, but that's the nature of the industry. Leadership at supervisor level could be improved.

3. "Great company"

Former Employee - Supervisor in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Supervisor in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Moxie full-time

Pros

Very few corporate politics
    Senior Leadership is concerned

Cons

Non collaborative clients
    Agency is behind with what's happening in the space

"Good company, but difficult work-social life balance"

Former Employee - Fox Home Entertainment Digital Media Planner in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Moxie (More than a year)

Pros

You get the opportunity to work on your own campaigns and collaborate on others, and there is room for growth. There also are many "perks", as in various outings and events you can attend with business partners and coworkers.

Cons

Tight deadlines have you working overtime without compensation. Management struggles in easing stress among its employees, hence a higher turnover rate.

Advice to Management

Consider investing more in employee mental and physical health (e.g., more breaks, exercise, massages, etc...).

"Great Company, Management needs improvement"

Current Employee - Digital Planner in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Digital Planner in New York, NY

I have been working at Moxie (Less than a year)

Pros

The culture is phenomenal. HR really does a good job of making their employees happy.

Cons

Management can be confusing as there are too many cooks in the kitchen.

Advice to Management

Manage and lead your teams. Your teams are smart in terms of making decisions but just need guidance.

"Figure out what you want to be when you grow up"

I worked at Moxie full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- committed to minority and gender equality in the workplace
    - most team members were a pleasure to work with
    - made lasting relationships

Cons

- poor leadership
    - perks don't keep a+ players
    - jump when client says jump mentality when a consultative approach was more appropriate

Advice to Management

Have a vision, better yet, a good vision. Communicate it.

"Glad I no longer work at Moxie"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Moxie full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A few good people remain from the Engauge/Moxie merger.

There are a lot of perks like free lunches, training and great benefits. This is the main reason to work at Moxie. But, you must be prepared to put up with some mean people who lack genuine care and concern for colleagues. It's a "dog eat dog world" at Moxie. Very stressful. A lot of pressure without a lot of great results.

Cons

Moxie is a very difficult place to work. There is a lot of politics. Management is unapologetic, yet has a lot of explaining to do. The leaders don't care about the employees. Publicis Groupe, the holding company, is very numbers oriented, not people/talent oriented.

"Benefits and perks do not make up for poor management and bad environments"

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Moxie full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Benefits of parent company (Publicis) including a lot of holidays, flex days, great healthcare, etc.
    -Snacks and free lunch Fridays
    -Cool electronics to try out and test
    -Open door/workspace environment
    -Opportunities to make lateral moves to other companies under the Publicis umbrella

Cons

-Extremely poor management
    -Hiring process should be stricter
    -HR was not very informed or effective. I even had an incident with workplace harassment that was never escalated appropriately.
    -They expect ee's to work overtime but do not compensate appropriately
    -There are many scapegoats when the inevitable screw-ups happen (and it could be you!)
    -Not much room for career paths/opportunities
    -Constant high turnover, even for an agency
    -Not very competitive pay

Advice to Management

Read the negative reviews on glassdoor and take note. Most of us are not out for blood, we are sincerely concerned for future employees.

"N/A"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Moxie part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Hiring was done well, everyone who came in had a great can do attitude.

Cons

Poor upper management, it doesn't seem like they've been in the industry long enough to understand how to manage a team/let alone an entire department. Micro-managers with very poor communication skills. HR does not take any action if hard facts are given (i.e. Proof of outrageous emails), shows lack of change and exhibiting that the agency agrees to this behavior.

Advice to Management

Learn how to listen to your employees, do not feel threatened if they seem to have a better skill set than you. Embrace the differences and lead with positivity. Remember, one day these people could be your clients, bosses, or colleagues, and burning bridges is the wrong method of doing business.

11. "Great People, Great Environment, Poor Communications"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Moxie full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The team I work in is fantastic - there are absolutely a ton of insanely smart people who enjoy coming to work most days. We like being around each other and we get some absolutely magical things done in the analytics spectrum. Our team leadership is great, they will fight for you in any way they can.

Cons

The executive leadership is kind of horrible at communicating to the company, and that means that you don't know why you aren't getting that raise/promotion until a bomb of 'oh by the way, raise freeze' is dropped in your lap a month into the raise freeze. You still don't know when that ends by the way - no one tells you.

Advice to Management

C-Level - Talk to your employees, and actually listen. Stop having cheer-leading sessions and actually do something to fix what you say you want to fix. We aren't toddlers, we are adults.