Mozilla Reviews in Mountain View, CA | Glassdoor

Chris Beard
1 Rating

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Spent a bit too long trying to find our footing post-Firefox OS (in 13 reviews)

• Open source Politics are frequently worse than corporate politics (in 8 reviews)

"Desktop Support"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Mozilla full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I received opportunities to travel for work and form relationships with co-workers across the world. I was able to learn new skills from many of the colleagues that I worked with.

Cons

It was hard to trust people there. Didn't have a clear path for career growth. Human Resources didn't feel like a trusted resource. Most management was a mess.

"Good engineers, poor leadership"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Mozilla full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Great job for just out of school.
    - Excellent engineers. You can learn a lot from them.
    - Mission is very appealing, though the organization's alignment to it is weak at times.
    - Fantastic benefits, compensation, and work-life balance.

Cons

- Lots of politics.
    - Organizations are not very cohesive and don't work together well. I can't even count how many times I heard "that's not in my quarterly goals" or "we don't have resources for that" after making reasonable requests.
    - Management structure is strange and hard to understand. As someone who wanted to work his way up, I couldn't figure out how.

Advice to Management

- Focus on a few core efforts and do them really well.
    - Do a better job of supporting excellent performers and create more paths upward.

"A good company that's losing its track"

I have been working at Mozilla full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great work life balance
    Decent pay
    Good benefits
    Bi Annual Work Weeks a plus

Cons

Lack of strong senior leadership
    Hoping to make impact but bleeding slowly
    Staff seems more motivated than leadership

Advice to Management

Figure out what you want to do soon. Do not try and continue to paint a good picture when it is not.

"Bring back John"

Former Employee - Web Developer in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Web Developer in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Mozilla full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people at the lower levels, great engineering culture, amazing mission

Cons

The company is lost and has no clue why it's special. Gary ruined the company, and it's been downhill since John left.

Advice to Management

Fewer marketers/business/etc people, more engineers. Go back to building great products.

"Inspring place to work"

Current Employee - Director of Engineering in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Director of Engineering in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Mozilla full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Mission driven organization with a group of people who truly want to change the world and defend the internet. The engineering organizations have some of the most talented people I could ever hope to work with.

Cons

Lack of focus on the core product.

"Fun work at times, but it's like cats with no herding power, tasked with herding cats"

Former Employee - Product Manager in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Product Manager in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Mozilla full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There are many interesting things to work on, especially if you love the web. They offer flexible workdays and other employee perks.

Cons

The company lacks direction beyond the (very) high-level goals. Most of the org is in service to Firefox OS - this is necessary given the company's direction, but sucks resources from other projects.

Directors and VPs seem very disconnected from PMs and engineers (the caveat is Firefox OS, that immediate team is run better than most). This causes mismatches in expectations and frustration to those down the reporting chain.

Advice to Management

Spend time actually looking at why teams are in the state they are. There are too many decisions made based on emotion and non-empirical, subjective feelings.

"Great values, but many directions"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Mozilla full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Lots of smart people that would love to help you out with your work.
    - Everything is open source. All of your work goes back to the community. You get paid to build out your Github profile!
    - Plenty of PTO; unexpected paid vacations!
    - Mozilla has an energy that no other company I've worked for has. Everyone is excited about the future of the products.
    - There's a great community that will help you with your work! People are excited to help make your product better.
    - Lots of paid travel all around the world.
    - Every office has an appropriately complicated coffee making machine. Mountain View, for instance, has an automatic latte machine. SF has an exceptionally hipster espresso press.

Cons

- Oftentimes too much management. Carriers and third parties have started to drive product decisions, and everything seems to be an emergency.
    - There's an attitude of "it's not good unless it's changing". Products get bloated with features that nobody cares about and technical debt falls by the wayside.
    - Entire teams are remote. When I started, most of my team was in the office I was in. The overwhelming majority of my department is now remote, and people keep moving away.
    - Don't expect to be able to change teams. If the team you want to move to doesn't have headcount, you're out of luck. I've tried changing teams and the only opportunity I had was to fill a vacancy that would open in the following quarter.
    - Mozilla has more paid staff than some of its products have active users. If you don't work on Firefox, don't expect to be reaching millions of people.
    - Depending on what team you're on, you shouldn't expect to participate in activities with your coworkers: partly because they're probably remote and partly because they just don't happen very often. In the two years I've been here, I've seen most of my coworkers in person exactly one time.

Advice to Management

The solution to good management is to stop hiring managers. If you see problems that seem to need more managers to handle, it's better to get rid of the problem than it is to cover it up with bureaucracy.

"Overall okay, but lacking in effective management."

Former Employee - Release Manager in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Release Manager in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Mozilla full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great pay and many great employees who really "get" the culture. Other benefits such as free snacks and regular "cantina" parties create a great vibe.

Cons

While in the past Mozilla has been open company-wide and eager to help its employees, its recent growth has changed the culture considerably and shed a lot of the better work force. A more closed environment has followed, one that shuns speaking up when something is wrong. A lot of "group think" exists now.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees and stop firing or delegitimizing your employees, even if they have a minority opinion. Discourage "group think."

9. "It has been one heck of an adventure"

Former Employee - Manager in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Manager in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Mozilla full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great Culture, fun, smart people to work with.

Cons

Growing into a huge Corporate culture

Advice to Management

N/A

"Unclear future and chaotic present"

I have been working at Mozilla full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Transparency and flexibility. The company is becoming a corporation but it retains a lot of the values of the start-up that it was and the community focus is great. It's a great place if you want to take it easy. Ability to work from home with no questions.

Cons

The company is trying to figure out what he wants to do. There's a change on focus every month and projects that are in the process to be staffed get deprioritized leaving people with no projects until they can figure out what to do next. Middle management doesn't have the experience to lead the organization, a lot of them have been promoted from the community with no real skill set. Senior employees and executives are leaving and the morale of the company is destroyed.

Advice to Management

Set clear goals and focus on a strategy for at least a year before pivoting again. Rise the bar at the Director level and monitor low performers.