Mozilla Reviews in Mountain View, CA | Glassdoor

Updated September 2, 2017

Mountain View, CA

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Spent a bit too long trying to find our footing post-Firefox OS (in 13 reviews)

• Our roots in open source and our globally distributed staff can make work feel a little out of control and unfocused at times (in 9 reviews)

"Toxic place to work"

Current Employee - Better Not Say in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Better Not Say in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Mozilla full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you work remotely you can avoid the politics and toxic people for a while. They let you use Chrome because a lot websites don't work well with Firefox.

Cons

Terrible untrained managers. Out of date technology. Good people being pushed out for speaking up too much.

Advice to Management

Get a grip and start listening to your employees. It is becoming a paranoid work environment.

"No longer investing in its future"

I have been working at Mozilla full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits, open culture, remote working, smart people. Engaging and exciting work weeks (we just got back from London).

Cons

UPDATED: Mozilla had my last review deleted, and are now conducting an internal inquiry to find out who I am. Re-posting my review with small modifications. Sad that they don't actually want to hear truth.

No longer investing in their talent. The ship has been slowly sinking for a while, and now the internship program is taking on water. The program used to be one of the best in the industry -- now they have hired lackluster recruiters who have no interest in building the program, engaging with interns or even being friendly.
    As a former intern, the speed of the program's decline is dramatic and alarming and I hope this is not a top down directive at an executive level, but rather the decision of a small number of people who don't know any better. Since when is doing the least amount of work possible the correct approach to building student engagement, increasing our talent pool, and creating a talent pipeline? Answer - it isn't.

Advice to Management

Reinvest in your future talent if you want Mozilla to still be relevant, or even around, in the next 5-10 years. Hire passionate and talented people with experience in university recruiting and international recruiting to run the internship program rather than generic butts to fill seats. Use your alumni connections - we want to help! Build a new graduate program. Stop turning a blind eye to lackluster employees just because you like them personally. Don't settle for mediocrity.

"Ridiculous political wars. Good product, bad management."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Mozilla full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Benefits are good. 2 all hands all over the world, spending huge amounts of money without giving us clear goals and strategies. Good thing is that, you can visit some good places, like Hawaii. Nothing to do, no pressure.

Cons

Staying here wastes your time. No clear view on strategies, and planning. People are fighting. Management are trying to expand their territories by hurting people and projects. More and more talents are leaving or left. It's too late to mitigate current situation. Employees are not really doing anything, but only waiting for bringing family to join all hands(for fun only). Now, new guys are joining and/or current guys are staying because of all hands meetings, not the missions of Mozilla.

Advice to Management

The useless connected device team needs to be shutdown. The director(s) and the PMO lead in this group should be fired due to terrible management, but only know how to gossip and force people to quit. Also, no more all hands meetings. They are wasting money.

"Inspring place to work"

Current Employee - Director of Engineering in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Director of Engineering in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Mozilla full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Mission driven organization with a group of people who truly want to change the world and defend the internet. The engineering organizations have some of the most talented people I could ever hope to work with.

Cons

Lack of focus on the core product.

"Sinking ship"

Current Employee - Director in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Director in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Mozilla full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Very smart engineers. They are the saving grace of the place.

Cons

Engineering management is sub par. Product management is clueless. Firefox OS is not worth talking about

Advice to Management

Please shut down Firefox OS. Change the management layer.

6. "Brand Strategy Marketing Associate"

Former Employee - Brand Strategy Marketing Associate in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Brand Strategy Marketing Associate in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Mozilla (Less than a year)

Pros

Amazing people, amazing mission, great working conditions, great benefits.
    I would work there any time again.

Cons

You need to be a self starter. sometimes things can get a little unstructured, so you better be flexible.

Advice to Management

Stay as you are guys. You are great! They are all very kind and supportive people.

7. "Cool environment with lots of freedom"

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Mountain View, CA
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Mozilla as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Smart people, reasonable compensation, epic projects

Cons

A bit disorganized in all areas, some degree of turnover, needs to be a better vision of the browser as a product and Mozilla's future.

Advice to Management

Don't be afraid of change and innovation, embrace new technologies and programming languages, and get opinions of Generation Z because they will ultimately decide the future.

"Extremely flexible and open"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Mozilla full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Ability to work remotely e.g. while travelling
    - Extremely flexible working hours (excluding meetings) and time off
    - Variety in projects
    - Work in the open
    - Attend one non-Mozilla conference per year without presenting (more if you present)
    - Large quarterly cash bonuses (to compensate for no stock) and extra health & wellness spending reimbursement (e.g. gym, co-pays, sports, etc.)
    - Silicon Valley perks (e.g. lunch, quality snacks/drinks, games/sports)
    - Computer upgrade every 2 years
    - Android or FirefoxOS hardware
    - Travel for work at least once a year (usually 2x min.)
    - 401k contribution (usually 7%)

Cons

- Firefox desktop has been starved for resources for as long as I've been around since they were going to Firefox OS which caused us to lose relevance with developers and users. Chris Beard is changing this and we are investing more in the Firefox department again including many open positions soon.
    - Various organization changes in recent years (e.g. in administrative overhead) but for the most part you can just ignore them and do your job

Advice to Management

- Invest more in desktop Firefox and have Firefox OS integrate with desktop (e.g. via Sync) as a way to increase FxOS adoption
    - Leverage our differentiating features before competitors have parity (e.g. vertical tabs & tab groups). These are some of the reasons why people still use Firefox.
    - Invest more in implementing Web APIs to win back developer mind share (we have been focusing too much on FxOS APIs in this area)

"Amazing life experience."

Former Employee - Platform Engineering Intern in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Platform Engineering Intern in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Mozilla (Less than a year)

Pros

1. Amazing people and good technology to work with in a very cool office.
    2. Free Macbook pro (you get to to keep it after the internship!).
    3. Unlimited food and drink with an incredible amount of choice.

Cons

1. Full time positions are few and far between. Very few interns get a return offer. You have to network very very well if you want to know where the positions are and apply for them on your own.
    2. Vision for the company seems to have caused a rift in the ranks.

"Good intentions"

I have been working at Mozilla full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits, perks, intelligent people. Powerful values and commitment to mission. Chances to move teams or focus on a new career path, depending on your org.

Cons

Leadership at the top level is a bit all over the place. Frequent reorgs, moving people around (to perhaps a group or position they don't want to be in without a say in the matter), lack of processes or policies to point to follow/point back to (everyone, including executives, looking for loopholes to get what they want, with no regard to how it affects other groups). Good people leaving every week.

Advice to Management

Get it together. Take some time to think about how what you're doing affects your employees, or better yet, ask them or involve them in the decision. Pick a strategic direction and stick with it.