Mozilla Reviews | Glassdoor

4.2
Mozilla CEO Chris Beard
Chris Beard

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "It is also fantastic for work life balance: the flexibility means I can give to my family and not feel like I'm not giving work short shrift" (in 31 reviews)

• "Open source community really does matter" (in 29 reviews)

Cons
  • "Struggle to overcome negative aspects of open source culture" (in 11 reviews)

• "Alignment throughout the organization is non-existent and upper management in several groups are tragically bad" (in 9 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Getting the Big Things Right. A Great Place to Work."

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Mozilla full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

In my time at Mozilla, I've only become more impressed with how the company works. People/engineers/devs (especially those more senior) mostly set a tone of openness and a willingness to help others. Mozilla as an employer has good benefits and in my opinion strives very very hard to do right by their employees. Whether that is supporting you with your career goals and aspirations or providing budgets for conferences, classes, or tools to you help you. From my perspective, part of Mozilla's culture is to be informal leading to a more startup get-it-done atmosphere. Web browsers are big complicated projects and there are many challenges/opportunities where good ideas and hard work are needed.

A lot of Mozilla's people work remotely and Mozilla supports remote employees very well by giving you all the tools you need. As a software engineer working on a team of about 10 people that are also mostly remote, I don't feel that being remote is an impediment to my career or getting work done. With company news, presentations, or announcements, there is always an option to listen and participate remotely via video chat, etc. All meetings seem to be conducted in a remote-friendly manner.

My manager wants to make sure we feel good about what we're working on and often asks for our opinion on changes, strategy, etc. Every month the CEO presents to the company about how we're doing and there is always opportunity to provide feedback with Q&A (including anonymously). There are weekly presentations about what's going on with Firefox. Guest speakers from the tech/privacy/governance visit and present on various topics. Company-run offsite all hands are extremely well done.

Mozilla's mission is a good one. I couldn't imagine a better place to work

Cons

There are many high performers here and that comes with certain pressures you may feel or place on yourself.

Everything Mozilla does will be misrepresented or hated by someone.

Web browsers are big complicated projects and building knowledge/ramping up takes time and effort.

"No Bikeshedding"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer

I have been working at Mozilla full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I cannot recommend Mozilla highly enough from the perspective of a productive work culture. At my previous employer, the bikeshedding and gatekeeping was ridiculous, and felt like an essential part of working in software. I have never experienced that at Mozilla - there is a strong culture of no BS, at least in the domain in which I work, and I am never worried that what I want to implement is going to be rejected or sent back for trivial reasons.

Cons

The overall pay once you factor in lack of equity is competitive, but not top tier. It's rather surprising as there is some truly unique talent at Mozilla, and I think that people stay because it's clear that Mozilla works for the public good, but I suspect many great engineers are at risk of being poached.

"Good company, middle management needs work"

Current Employee - Senior USer Researcher
    Current Employee - Senior USer Researcher

I have been working at Mozilla full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Working on a mission driven product is great
    There's an intense focus in the past two years that is refreshing
    Good pay and benefits

Cons

Middle management is often more concerned with politics than taking care of employees

Favoritism is a real issue

Advice to Management

Listen to the engagement survey, promote managers with low attrition and high morale, and stop playing favorites.

Better eduction opportunities and clear promotion paths

"A wonderfully human place that struggles sometimes at the business-y things"

I worked at Mozilla full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Most of the people parts -- overwhelmingly hopeful and kind humans fighting for a worthy cause. Excellent quality of life and respect for family, diversity and remote work. Great benefits.

Cons

Some of the business and management parts - a lack of coordinated action, a highly risk averse culture that resists change, and a shortage of business and management savvy among senior leadership.

Some immature actors in the product and engineering organization, and senior leadership that isn’t strong enough to address it.

Advice to Management

Mozilla knows it needs to be faster, more nimble and take bigger risks. To do that, leaders need to be more honest about the pace of change required of employees in the next 18 mos. Contrary to other reviews, executive leadership does have a high level vision, but doesn't seem to have the experience to draw from to operationalize that vision it into the organization.

"One of the many remote engineers"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Mozilla full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Flexible schedule: If you get the work done and attend important meetings, you can time shift your work hours a bit for appointments. Mozilla is all over the world and works to accommodate many time zones.
    - Remote-friendly: All meetings have videoconferencing links and presentations shared by video. There are two All Hands onsite meetings and a work week per year. Co-working and home office improvements are paid as well as professional development and travel to many events. Many engineers do not work at any of the Mozilla offices and appreciate the freedom to live anywhere.
    - Open source: everything you make gets contributed to the world and no one is barring you from talking about what you make, doing side projects, or giving talks.
    - Mission: We can feel good about being one of the few forces advocating for consumer privacy even when more data would help us to execute better.
    - Competitive salaries: Mozilla is improving in this respect to attract the best candidates and we pay cash instead of speculative investments in the future.

Cons

- If you have a family, you should factor in travel. There are two all hands meetings per year, which require a work week of travel each. Many teams have a work week of travel for their department also. A lot of folks bring their families, but must pay family flight expenses. Personally, I enjoy getting away, but it's not for everyone. No one will force you attend all of these, but it's encouraged because it helps to get to know your remote team members better.

Advice to Management

Keep focused on the consumer, innovation, and mobile. We don't want to copy, but should re-imagine the Internet the way people actually prefer to use it.

"Best job I've ever had"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Mozilla full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Mozilla is a comfortable environment where I have had zero trouble working 100% remotely. The compensation and benefits are fairly competitive, despite it being a non-profit. That said, I mostly chose Mozilla for its mission statement.

Cons

On-boarding can be intimidating due to the ad-hoc way its done. Workflow processes are constantly in flux and many things you might expect to be normalized actually vary from team to team.

Advice to Management

Mozilla occupies a unique position in a wild ecosystem. I believe that our greatest strength is our mission. It can be hard to communicate without sounding "holy" but genuine pride in the societal effects of your work or browser choice is a hell of a feeling. It should sold more heavily.

7. "Comfy place to work with caring and wonderful people"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Portland, OR

I have been working at Mozilla full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

* Everyone is really happy to be working on what they are working on. Problems are interesting and a lot of the work is inventive and fresh.
    * Large focus on personal growth both in and out of work (Global Wellness + Professional Development Benefits are amazing)
    * Diverse group of people working in offices and remotely around the world
    * Open source projects with the ideal of making the internet a better place at their core

Cons

* Work-life balance can be hard to maintain if you're not careful
    * Shear amount of communication can be overwhelming and sometimes chaotic

"A really small "big company""

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at Mozilla full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A real opportunity to work at a tech company with a mission: Mozilla is like the NASA of open source. It can be a real thrill to watch Mozilla pull off a technical innovation or make a stand for its users and think "I was part of that".

Relatively well-administered in a lot of ways. Mozilla offers generous compensation, "remote work" (although see below), a well-defined career progression and plenty of opportunities to learn. Management generally doesn't have unreasonable expectations of its employees. In general, top-level management seems on top of things.

Employees get to travel quite a bit. In addition to the two All-Hands events, teams often organize workweeks to see each other in person and hash-out debates and discussions in real time. The All-Hands locations are usually pretty ordinary (San Francisco and Orlando being some examples), but if you have young children I bet they're great.

Cons

Despite being smaller than comparable companies, Mozilla is a big place with a lot of moving parts and a lot of inertia. Having an impact at Mozilla is hard.

Mozilla is relatively unusual in the current tech ecosystem for a number of reasons:

- Our main product is a desktop client rather than a web-based service. It's not possible to just "fix it in prod".

- Heavy open source ethos and tradition, which also leads to something of an individualistic culture.

- Unique/unusual tooling. Mozilla invented Bugzilla in 1998 and we still use it. Instead of Git and Github/Gitlab, development on Firefox is done using Mercurial and Phabricator.

The upshot of all this is that getting up to speed at Mozilla can be challenging, and technical skills you learn at Mozilla will not necessarily be useful elsewhere in your career.

Mozilla does offer "remote work" as a benefit along with other unusual work arrangements (for instance, one employee I know works 80% full time). But there are indications that management wants this to change, with remarks that co-located teams have been more effective than distributed teams. We only hire in certain countries, and sometimes there are caveats even then -- I know a couple candidates in Europe who didn't make it past the interview question of "Are you willing to relocate to Berlin?"

Advice to Management

I'm not sure I know better than management here, but I feel like product engineering is too slow and we should be focusing more on improving development velocity.

9. "Great place to work with an incredible mission"

Current Employee - Director in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Director in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Mozilla full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- company who cares about their employees
    - surprisingly high pay
    - remote-friendly work culture

Cons

- could move faster into new areas

"Wonderful culture with a real focus on the mission"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I have been working at Mozilla full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Best people I've ever worked with, lots of autonomy, and a great remote culture. Good mix of pragmatism (adapting to the market) and ideals (open web and inclusion). My specific team is an energizing, silly, and respectful bunch of folks.

Cons

Being the underdog is sometimes challenging. Some high-level decisions aren't always easy to understand. A couple difficult people here and there.