Mozilla Reviews | Glassdoor

Mozilla CEO Chris Beard
Chris Beard

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Spent a bit too long trying to find our footing post-Firefox OS (in 13 reviews)

• Open source Politics are frequently worse than corporate politics (in 8 reviews)

1. "things have changed for the better during my tenure"

Current Employee - Program Manager
    Current Employee - Program Manager

I have been working at Mozilla full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The organization is really focused now on both making the product great again and who we want to be in the world. Organizational and cultural dynamics have improved. The benefits are the best I've ever encountered, literally.

Cons

We're still working on making our products great and we can't lose that focus or we *will* fail. Also there are those who do not respect the work being done to make the company more inclusive and diverse, which just makes me sad, because its really good work.

"Corporate, no innovation, bullying good people"

I worked at Mozilla full-time

Pros

Work-life balance, remote work.

Nicely located offices.

Open source.

Good if you have a family.

Cons

Heavy corporate culture. Full of corporate middle managers with not much to do. Expect many meetings with product managers, engineering managers, project managers, strategy managers, with one developer to solve simple problems.

Politics and diversity are superficial; they use diversity as a card when it suits them, and ignore it otherwise. Leadership is a boys club of friends from the old days from dead companies that hire each other. They might reject a good hire and play the diversity card, and then go around and hire ten non-diverse people.

Succumbed to the big players. No longer innovative and low ambition. Good ideas shot down due to fear of Google. Strategy revolves around corporate partnerships and lots of managers. Weekly meetings focus around trying to convince people that Mozilla is doing OK.

Successful projects when noticed will be swarmed by managers trying to advance their careers. If you do something good, expect to later be pushed out. Successful and driven people get their bonuses docked by managers because they speak up. If you grow a flower, expect it to be picked and killed.

Office politics and bullying. People lobbying managers and ostracizing good people. Emotional abuse will make you lose your sanity.

Safe haven for slackers. Developers that have done nothing for months or years. Perhaps they change a config file once every two weeks.

Developer culture is gone. Most developers stay around because they have families to feed. A lot of the developer-oriented media are low quality article and speaker factories.

Advice to Management

No hope.

"Management looting the company"

Former Employee - Program Manager in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Program Manager in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Mozilla full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Mozilla was once a great place to work for. Interesting technical work and great people to work with. High base salary plus cash bonuses. Fantastic work life balance since there isn't much work to be done. The CEO canceled all projects except for Desktop Firefox, which fewer and fewer people use. Even most engineers use Chrome. Everyone is just coasting.

Cons

Management is rotten to the core. The company is very top heavy with some 30 executives that travel the world first class to have meetings in lavish places but in the end nothing comes from it. The company hasn't had a coherent strategy ever since Brendan Eich left. Mozilla is supposedly a tech company but the CEO lacks any technical expertise or vision. Of the 30 executives maybe one knows how to write code. The rest of them are friends of the new CEO. Grifters and looters. He drove out all the executives who built Mozilla.

Advice to Management

Resign

"Difficult place for diversity"

Former Employee - Engineer
    Former Employee - Engineer

I worked at Mozilla full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There were a lot of people who genuinely wanted to accomplish things and innovate there. The benefits are amazing, and when things are going well it feels like there is no better place to work. Being part of a mission-driven organization brings much more meaning into your work!

Cons

I'll start with a cautionary tale. My first month working at Mozilla, a layoff happened and it shook the organization. A year later, a mass lay off happened and the entire former FFOS team got canned (although some people were retained, and some people due to life circumstances shouldn't have gotten laid off to begin with and got regained). I got excellent on all my quarterly reviews and come from a minority community in engineering/have a disability and even that didn't stop me from getting laid off. Despite having relevant skill sets, the company made no effort to retain me- even as they continue on the "Diversity matters!" tangent. I really don't think diversity matters that much if they lay off diverse, high-performing employees and then go and hire a bunch of non-diverse demographic individuals. Likewise, the company did nothing to get rid of actual low performers and many still work there.

So, all the benefits in the world can't color the fact that there is a lack of stability at Mozilla and that makes it a very difficult place to work at. You might not feel happy or secure enough while at work to take advantage of all the fun things in the office, as I did after the first lay off.

Advice to Management

Empathy is a good thing in leaders. Empathy for both future customers and employees is key to a healthy, loved organization.

"When the legends die, the dreams end; There is no more greatness."

I worked at Mozilla full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

* Competitive pay
    * Good benefits
    * Good work-life balance
    * Excellent coworkers with talents

Cons

* Discrimination based on different location
    * Mission is very appealing, though company's alignment to it is none most of the time.
    * Not remote working friendly outside of the USA
    * Very conservative culture in developing new products.
    * While it wants to have a risk taking, it penalizes those who fail
    * There is no real vision for its flagship product
    * Lots of politics. Open source Politics are frequently worse than corporate politics.
    * Management structure is strange and hard to understand.
    * Negative sentiment toward leadership

Advice to Management

I just finished making a cup of coffee for myself. Facing the computer screen, there is no cars and no people passing by late at night. The longer the silence lasts, the deeper the harm does. I think it is about time to speak up.

It was once sunrise with brightness and warmness in the heart of Mozilla. It was once a promising company with great goals. We once dared to challenge ourselves to the new fields. We once dared to keep the freedom and peace of internet. We once looked after each others like a real family. We once got greatly motivated by great people, great goals, and great bonus.

However, when the legends die, the dreams end; there is no more greatness...

First of all, standing back to the declining share of browser market is not a way out, especially with low percentage of people using our browsers. I am not saying that we shouldn't be protecting our shares in browser market, but we should not give up those popular stuffs just in order to protect our core value, "freedom of internet". It's not just about the products, but the freedom of speech and the freedom of challenging ourselves was lost on the way forwarding.

Furthermore, losing it in a meeting and forbidden discussion in country-wide email group is just not a proper way to showing freedom of internet and openness of a company. Being a branch of a large company doesn't necessary mean that it is a colony here.

No more hiring of mere puppets executing orders from higher management please. More respect on people who working hard to get things done please. Come what may, the very beginning mind itself is the most accomplished mind of true enlightenment. I admire and respect what Mozilla's original goal is and hope that it come back someday before end of everything we cherished.

"Meaningful work without all the Silicon Valley nonsense"

Current Employee - Senior Visual Designer in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Senior Visual Designer in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I have been working at Mozilla full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Meaningful, mission-based work
    - Latitude to work on what's important to you
    - Coworkers are self-motivated and super talented
    - Life/work balance is great

Cons

- Not much of a firewall between you and a somewhat entitled community (improving a bit, though)
    - Spent a bit too long trying to find our footing post-Firefox OS
    - Teams can be very spread out globally, leaving you with little face-to-face time

Advice to Management

- Things are getting better! Keep focusing on the future, and playing to our strengths.
    - We are too vague on where we stand on many social issues, both in and out of tech. Wish we'd be more vocal about that.

"Love the mission, love the people....HATE the leadership and strategy"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Mozilla full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working at Mozilla in the "good ol' FirefoxOS days" was probably the best working environment I've ever experienced. My organization was like a big happy family. We all worked hard, shipped products, and had a great time doing it. I felt surrounded by extremely smart people and felt challenged every day. This was a job that I was excited to go to every morning and it almost didn't feel like work because it was so fun and inspiring. Mozilla gave me the opportunity to see the world and connect with people from all over. It was amazing! The perks of the company are like no other I've experienced. The flexible culture of being able to work from anywhere so long as you are producing results is how tech companies should be and Mozilla leads in this area.

And of course there's the mission. It was so inspiring to work for a company that truly seeks to pave the way for the "greater good." Openness and transparency are a part of the DNA at Mozilla (except executive leadership) and that was refreshing.

Cons

In the almost 5 years that I worked there, sadly I watched what once was a great company with multiple bets in play...slowly decline. With so many leadership, organizational, and strategy changes...many things went wrong. Products were cancelled, some never went anywhere, and useless ones still exist today! The most disappointing thing about Mozilla was the floundering indecision that started from the top.

The SCVP group (who glorify themselves as the leaders of the universe) spend more time at fancy off-sites and closed-door strategy meetings then actually inspiring, or DOING anything. They continue to invest (a lot of money) in meaningless objectives and fear risk-taking or venturing to build new products.

We spent an entire 1.5 years innovating without clear direction on IoT projects that never went anywhere because we couldn't make a decision. And today, I see some of those products actually become successful because other companies took that risk. It's a real shame because I want to Mozilla to be successful (I really do), but the leadership in place leads me to believe that they never will.

I believe in the mission and everything that Firefox stands for but because Mozilla has wasted so much time and effort on useless things, the market shows proof that there are far more superior products. (and it's true...even internal employees blog about it)

Mozilla missed it's window of opportunity to do so much more.

Advice to Management

Cut the corporate bs at the top and empower the people doing actual work to drive where the company goes. Since leaving and joining a successful product-leading company, it's very clear to see where Mozilla is failing and it's sad and unfortunate.

8. "Great organization to work for"

I have been working at Mozilla full-time

Pros

This is not your run-of-the-mill software company, but a formidable force in online life. The combination of a world-class product organization and social movement provides a work environment that is fulfilling in a lot of different ways. The organization strives to be more diverse and decentralized than any other place I've been.

Cons

Non-profits by definition have less financial resources available to compete. Operating in a fully transparent manner gives competitors advance warning of the roadmap.

Advice to Management

Keep up the laser focus on product quality.

"A great company with misguided leadership"

I have been working at Mozilla full-time