Mspark Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.4
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Steven M. Mitzel

Pros
  • A super break room to gather for snack or lunch and catch a little tv (in 3 reviews)

• Work from home, flexible schedule (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Account Services seems to have some major issues with structure and realistic projections (in 4 reviews)

• Poor management and HR that condones bullying in the workplace by management (in 3 reviews)

"Marketing"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Helena, AL

I have been working at Mspark full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Working at Mspark is much like working at a start-up but with the infrastructure of a well-established company. The culture is collaborative and fun, but we work hard to accomplish the goals of the organization. A lot has been done to align the goals of all departments with the company's goals, so that we're all moving in the same direction. We have fantastic talent and a lot of smart people making great things happen. The senior leadership team has the right vision, the right passion, and is actively listening to the customers and employees to move our company in the right direction. And while I've only been here a short time, I love it so much that this is my 2nd time to work here. I came back recently and love the company even more the second time around.

Cons

The train tracks. We've all gotten stuck at the train tracks so many times.

Advice to Management

Keep looking to the future!

2. "Sales"

I worked at Mspark full-time

Pros

Great Company. Family oriented. Excellent benefits and pay

Cons

There are no negatives. You get out of the company what you put in to it.

3. "A Great Company with a Great Culture"

I have been working at Mspark full-time

Pros

I have worked at several companies where "Company Values" were nothing more than a poster on the wall and a page on the website. One of the great things about working here is that company employees at all levels strive to live by our Mspark values on a daily basis.

Our values have helped to establish a culture of mutual respect, open communication, strong team spirit, and recognition for hard work. In addition to all of that, it is a FUN place to work. There is a concerted effort to foster this culture, and to find new and creative ways to make that happen.

Cons

One of the downsides used to be that there were not many options for places to eat lunch or run errands during lunch. As this area continues to experience retail growth, that is quickly fading as a con for Mspark.

Advice to Management

Please continue what you are doing.

5. "Former Employee"

I worked at Mspark full-time

Pros

Great talent and culture, the company is like one big family. Management keeps everyone informed of company's progress throughout the year in the form of quarterly Town Hall Meetings and corporate communications via email.

Cons

High turnover in Sales and now Management. Very small merit annual salary increase from 2-4%.

Advice to Management

Make reasonable goals and quotas for Sales Reps so a bad month will not affect jobs supporting sales.

6. "Account Executive"

Pros

Flexibility of a home office and working in the field

Cons

Poor management and HR that condones bullying in the workplace by management.

7. "Worked to many hours for the pay"

Former Employee - Account Executive
    Former Employee - Account Executive

I worked at Mspark full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good base pay. Generous with office supplies. Flexible schedule.

Cons

Commissions are poor. Regional manager was a very controlling jerk of a person and micromanaged your day then fires you when your production is low. If you follow her lead you sell squat! Management and training are not on the same page. I wasted two weeks in training only to be told by management to do it a different way. CRM was a joke as half of the fields were turned off and you could not enter the information needed to explain your sales progress.

Advice to Management

Don't fire people after 6 months for doing their job according to the way they were trained. Don't have your regional managers touch the employees CRM and delete clients notes so she can fire who she wants.

8. "Art Director"

I have been working at Mspark full-time

Pros

Mspark is truly a unique company in the way that it cares for its employees and provides a family atmosphere. Although everyone has a different role or department they work in, and there is a large number of employees, social events and quarterly meetings help us to keep a tight knit group. I value the friendships I've made while working at Mspark and am proud to be a part of such a friendly and supportive culture.

Cons

Location is not ideal if you are used to being able to quickly access the city of Birmingham.

9. "Account Services"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Helena, AL

I worked at Mspark full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There is a great number of fantastic people that work there. There is always humor and freedom to decompress without being accountable for every second at work. They have connection times with company-wide events and unique recognition for milestones in place. They really want the core values to be rooted in the organization. I admire Steve Mitzel greatly and wish him all the best in his success.

Cons

Account Services seems to have some major issues with structure and realistic projections. They went through a massive company-wide overhaul 4th qtr 2015-1st qtr 2016 and created way too many new positions without a buffer of any revenue decline. Instead of evaluating the quality of individuals and addressing communication flaws to enhance the environment, they prefer to make assumptions. There are click-y groups that cater to deflecting their negativity onto others and created drama with no accountability. Maturity seems a little scarce with conflict resolution and they do not nurture team effort, even though they preach it continually. Managers/Director would prefer to take sides, make assumptions, and direct you ignore it instead of find the true root of problems. In essence: be a suck up, keep your prior experience to yourself, and do a mediocre job and you should be safe from the massive layoffs that have been happening the last few months.

Advice to Management

Have more integrity to mean what you say. Words mean nothing if you have a bias attitude before you get to know anyone on a more personal level. Rudeness and sarcasm tends to be accepted and normal.

10. "Account Executive"

Pros

Great product and targeting for customers to reach the right consumers. Competitive salaries and benefits. Upper management have great motivational tactics for overall company.

Cons

Training, local managers lack the respect for sales reps with experience in the field with thoughts and concerns. Management has desire to support one another without it being the right decision.

Advice to Management

Local managers need to work with sales reps on growing their book of business. They lack necessary training in the field and administrative structure that reps work on a daily basis.

Mspark Response

Nov 16, 2016 – HR Generalist

Our focus for new sales people is on new business and we tell candidates that we are looking for hunters, not farmers. Growing a book of business is great but we are focusing on getting new business ... More

"Be careful"

Former Employee - Territorial Sales Representative in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Territorial Sales Representative in Omaha, NE

Pros

The job has some freedom. The pay in theory is ok. MSpark insurance plan was the best one I have ever had.

Cons

Consistent supervision with their CRM. Basically you are treated like a child. The product doesn't work very well. Mspark knows 1/2 of their clients will cancel. You are held to a high quota for a product THEY know doesn't work. Mspark doesn't pay commission correctly so be very careful you track everything you sell. Even when you catch mistakes on commissions they ignore you and do not fix the problem.

Advice to Management

They wouldn't listen so it doesn't matter.

Mspark Response

Sep 22, 2016 – HR Generalist

Candidates are told early in the interview process that our sales executives are expected to update the CRM daily. We use our CRM tool to help coach our sales executives to focus on the right ... More