Mueller Services Reviews | Glassdoor

Mueller Services Reviews

Updated October 14, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Work from home if needed (or always (in 40 reviews)

• Work independently, flexible schedule, in charge of own time (in 26 reviews)

Cons
  • Easy for field reps to not be properly compensated if they do not document and send in their cases, receipts & additional time spent (in 33 reviews)

• Low pay for the skills required (in 22 reviews)

"Typical Greedy Company Run By Morons"

Current Employee - Field Representative
    Current Employee - Field Representative

I have been working at Mueller Services part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible Hours is the only real pro.

Cons

Compensation is awful, no cost of living adjustments ever
    Poor management at the highest level

Advice to Management

Hopefully the owners will pass away or give up control before their money grubbing ways sink the company, which is understaffed in nearly every state due to not compensating even long time employees and them leaving for decent pay elsewhere.

Honestly, I could run this company better and make it twice as profitable within 36 months and I have 0 business background, the fixes are not rocket science, the company's owners just have don't know what they are doing.

Turnover rate will continue to be super high until they compensate properly, which probably won't happen.

"Now I know the reason why this job was open for so long.."

Current Employee - Field Representative in Schenectady, NY
    Current Employee - Field Representative in Schenectady, NY

I have been working at Mueller Services (Less than a year)

Pros

Experience and training. The only reason I started working here was to supplement my other work, which is actual home inspections. They have a ton of online training which is useful really only to people in this industry or others closely related. But that's about it. You won't even fill your tank to and from appointments on their horrendous pay system.

Cons

They have a 'super high efficiency' pay system where they monitor every inch of what you do, every second of field work/reporting with 8 different percentage counters and an hourly graph. This includes mileage reimbursement which is just cents per mile. You won't even fill your gas tank with that AND the actual measly paycheck. You aren't allowed to go over 'average' times on field work or phone calls and yet every house is different. So if you're way over the time (every time), have to make additional calls, fill additional reports or a policyholder misses their appointment (every week) your efficiency is cut in half and you have to work for free. Basically, you could be making less than $100 a week working 70+ hours between the full time job of making appointment phone calls to 50+ people (unpaid) and their agencies, driving all around the state, documenting/diagramming their mansion (in 15 minutes?...), filling out reports, etc... At least 3 days a week I'm working from 8am to 11pm without a break just on appointments and forms, and yet that will translate to maybe $40 total after the 'high efficiency' counter has done its job. Imagine working an 8 hour day at an office, but instead of clocking in they simply tally up times you spent on reports, and if you're sitting for more than 15 minutes you're penalized. So that $13 an hour is now more like $2 an hour. Disgusting.
    You do 100% of the workload, talk to the agencies/insurance co./policyholder, survey the home, take the pictures, fill the reports, send them out, etc....and their administrators do nothing but review it and reject it. They frequently make me drive 2+ hours for FREE to take one picture of an address number, just to 'confirm' I had the right house, as if I just walked into the wrong house and had an interview with a stranger.
    They send you into crazy situations and have you make really important judgement calls on people's lives/homes/policies/loans in minutes with zero information.
    I was planning on leaving soon, but will be quitting shortly because this happened today: The quality assurance screwed up and then tried to edit a form to make it look like I made a mistake. What they didn't know is I have a hard copy printed of the form, with hard evidence in bold letters showing that they made the mistake. Every day you will get forms rejected, and then penalized, for mistakes they make or didn't notice.
    You have to buy all of your own stuff. Make sure you have a few weeks worth of business attire, that you will be crawling through muddy crawlspaces from the 18th century all day with, an iPad, an iPhone, a laptop, a high end digital camera, a measuring wheel, measuring tape, a scanner, a printer, hundreds of dollars of ink and paper every month, a ladder, a telescoping 30+ foot camera pole with attachment, and a 4 wheel drive truck to make it through blizzards (no snow days).
    Oh, and you'll never meet a single person you work for. It's a 100% digital company.
    They could care less about you, your money or your career. You're just a tool to them.
    I basically used my employment at Mueller as field coursework for studying homes. I lost money and advanced nowhere.

Advice to Management

Do away with the 'Field Cost' philosophy. You are not a hedge fund. Judging a Highschool educated employee second by second, holding them to the standards of licensed home inspectors, and paying them pennies for overtime work just to retain every cent you can is on the opposite end on the spectrums of 'career building' 'teamwork' and 'leadership'.
    Give your administrative side something to do for god's sake. The Field Reps do every minuscule piece of work, from calls to appointments to surveys to reports, etc... or they're yelled at and made to make additional calls, fill additional forms for FREE. How about you spread the work load?
    And maybe actually pay them something, give them tools, ink, paper, actual gas receipt reimbursements, etc... That's basic corporate stuff.

3. "Field Rep"

Pros

You get to Set own schedule

Cons

Piece work essentially. Not reimbursed for gas at the Federal rate. You have to use all of your own items. Computer, printer, paper, cameras, cell phones, etc.

"Don't Even Think About It .... Please ..."

Former Employee - Quality Assurance Analyst
    Former Employee - Quality Assurance Analyst

I worked at Mueller Services part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Any pro about working here is simply overshadowed by the overwhelming negatives ....

Cons

Below min wage pay after factoring in all you need to contribute to perform your job, no proper communication in order to really do a good job or get it down for that matter, etc. Just stay away .....

Advice to Management

Working at Muller is akin to working on a plantation in the deep south before the war, “Gee Massa Noe, would you like a cold cup of tea wit dat bushel of cotton” ….. This family company, run by the nefarious Noe brothers, is single handedly the absolute worst outfit I have ever worked for. I saw the reviews before I accepted the position and thought “how bad can it really be?”. Well let me tell you …. it is bad!!! These Noe brothers are users and abusers. They undercut and berate their employees at every turn. They treat people like garbage including their best. If you are thinking about working for this heinous organization please think again. You can make more money driving an Uber or delivering on grub hub. This Noe family and other assorted family cronies, are simply blood sucking parasites. If you want to get treated like garbage, be abused and earn a meager pittance for hard work Mueller would be the place for you. Please don’t even think about applying or accepting a position there. You will regret it without a doubt !!!!!

"Field service inspector"

Former Employee - Field Service Representative in Moses, WA
    Former Employee - Field Service Representative in Moses, WA

I worked at Mueller Services part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are no pros to working for this company

Cons

Well below minimum wage for actual hours worked and personal expenses not reimbursed by company.

Management is incompetent, never available for anything unless they call you to complain about something that more than likely they are the ones that told you to do.

You will be required to be on call 6 days a week and may get zero cases, therefore zero dollars while wasting an entire week being told a pack of lies.

Run away. Do not work for this ridiculous disaster.

Advice to Management

You are either corrupt, stupid or immoral. Regardless, insurance companies and banks that continue to hire you must be just as corrupt, stupid or immoral after speaking to the field service staff (if they even do) and after reading review after review that say the same thing...this is not good or honorable company and they do not deserve the business they are given or the employees they cheat.

"Regardless of position - steer clear."

Former Employee - Office Staff in Tonawanda, NY
    Former Employee - Office Staff in Tonawanda, NY

I worked at Mueller Services full-time

Pros

-Some people are genuinely kind.
    -Easy to get a job at.

Cons

-Poor compensation.
    -Next to non-existent "benefits" package (even for full-time employees). You start at 5 days PTO (including both sick and vacation) on top of the usual holidays you would get off most anywhere. You have to work there a full 2 years to get up to 10 days PTO. Yikes.
    -Unattainable healthcare plans, based on what they pay you.
    -No 401k match...so not really sure why they bother to say they offer a 401k plan.
    -Disorganized company with poor communication from top to bottom.
    -Overall, a depressing facility. There are very tiny lunch areas that are not clean...lots of people eat in their cars in the parking lot. Speaking of which even the parking lot is in horrible shape.
    -Highly underqualified people at all levels. This is because turnover is so bad that if you stay there more than 6 months you might have a shot at becoming management!

Advice to Management

You must know that turnover is a rampant problem (not just for your field staff but for your office employees). This business is run in a very "nickel and dime" sense. Treat your employees (office and field) better and perhaps you won't keep going in circles on how to tackle issues. I do not see this business model as sustainable for much longer.

7. "quality assurance agent"

I have been working at Mueller Services full-time

Pros

I think company has a Nice environment

Cons

I did not find any yet

"Stay Clear, unorganized and untrustworthy upper management"

Former Employee - Management
    Former Employee - Management

I worked at Mueller Services full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexibility to work from home office.

Cons

This company has very poor communication from the top down. Upper management cannot be trusted to follow through with promises and will say whatever it takes to keep you working even though they have no intention of following through. Mueller pay is low and although they have benefits the health insurance is too expensive to of any value and they only offer 1 week of combined sick and vacation time per year the first two years of employment.
    Save yourself the frustration and stay away from this company.

Advice to Management

To the CEO. You should not let yourself be led around in circles by the incompetent people you surround yourself with. They all lack the vision and ability to make your father's company into something you can be proud of. They are untrustworthy at best and since you follow their lead, so are you.

"Field Representative"

Former Employee - Field Representative in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Field Representative in New York, NY

I worked at Mueller Services part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work from home and make your own schedule.

Cons

Management has no idea the work involved in the field or the time it takes.

Advice to Management

Understand the needs of those in the field.

"Not for me"

Former Employee - Field Representative
    Former Employee - Field Representative

I worked at Mueller Services part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule, work from home office.

Cons

Pay for the amount of work involved is not sufficient at $12 per hour. Mileage is reimbursed @ .40/ per mile and unless you have a small car, it's not enough to cover gas, wear & tear, etc. I added 35,000 miles to my vehicle over a period of 6-8 months.