Mueller Services 205 Reviews | Glassdoor

Mueller Services Reviews

Updated February 21, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • Flexible schedule, work from home office (in 30 reviews)

• Working independently and having a flexible schedule (in 25 reviews)

Cons
  • My field manager was good, but I feel he didn't get the support he needed from upper management nor do the field reps (in 31 reviews)

• Low pay, lots of wear and tear of your vehicle with low paying mileage reimbursement (in 19 reviews)

"Don't waste your time here!"

Current Employee - Field Service Representative
    Current Employee - Field Service Representative

I have been working at Mueller Services part-time

Pros

Working outside with a semi-flexible schedule.

Cons

I am going to turn in a teo week notice. In thr course of a year I have had three different managers. At first I had full time hours and a great manager. They were short handed and I worked a lot. Then they hired a lot of field reps and I brlieve lost some business, so I then made less. Which was bellow minimum wage when you figure the actual time you soend. I was told if I was quicker which meant a total of 29 minutes to meat home owners, measure, take pictures and compile them in a report. You are also suppose to answer emails and make ohine calls in that time frame. If it takes you linger due to large properties with lots of risks, then they switch you to a fee payment instead of an hourly one. So I can see why the quality of work will be bad because field reps have to meet these time frames. I was told I would get a raise if my times were quicker. So I cut my time by saying it took less time than it dis and still no raise. Mind you I have all green stars which is how they rate your work. High efficiency, little to no errors, and meeting all deadlines. Training was horribke. A trainer was suooose to soend three days training me but only could soend about 5 hours and said to just call him. So I had to figure a lot out that wasnt even covered with the online training. Ive been chased by a Pit Bull, bitten by a small dog, encountered a rattle snake, and met some scary people along the way. Ive worn my car out traveling on rough dirt roads in the middle of no where. My suggestion is donlt waste your time here! It is not worth it!

Advice to Management

You need to provide better taining in the field. You need to treat and pay your field reps better. Your time exoectations for completing cases is impossible, and you will eventually lose customers because reps wont be able to caoture everything in that amount of time. You need to reward employees for good work! Bottom line is trrat them better and you will keep them!

"Mueller Services"

Former Employee - Field Representative in Yukon, OK
    Former Employee - Field Representative in Yukon, OK

I worked at Mueller Services (More than a year)

Pros

Work as many hours as you want.

Cons

Low pay, lots of wear and tear of your vehicle with low paying mileage reimbursement.

Advice to Management

Pay your employees a living wage.

"Regional field service manager"

Pros

Work from home which is nice

Cons

Working from home and paying for everything, computer, printer, cell phone and bill, etc. The low pay doesn't reflect the 80 or so reps and some 5000 or so inspections you manage each month. Add your payroll and HR duties as well as all hiring/firing responsibilities and you have what should be a $80k or more job. High stress from the director, and constant queries from customer service will help round off your 12 hour or so regular work day. Salaries are based off of federal overtime law. Companies are required to pay overtime for anyone who makes less than twice the state's minimum wage. So, when wondering how much you could make in this salaried position, just double your states min wage.

Benefits include 1 weeks vacation regardless your number of years with the company, and zero days sick leave. Mueller does offer $200a month towards their very high cost health plan.

Though vacation time is granted, I've known more than a few in this position who know better than to leave their phone and laptop at home.

Turnover is incredibly high in this company. Expect to have 80% or more turnover of your underlings by the end of your first year. This will give you plenty of interviewing experience which will be invaluable to you once you're let go.

Advice to Management

I understand you're happy with things as they are. Why even try at this point.

"STAY FAR AWAY FROM MULLER !!!!"

Former Employee - Field Inspector in Manchester, NH
    Former Employee - Field Inspector in Manchester, NH

I worked at Mueller Services part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I wanted to say flexible hours, but they want you to turn some surveys over in less than 48 hours so this is not applicable anymore.

Cons

Inexperienced management right out of College. Regional Managers just as inexperienced, they have no idea how to motivate employees to want to do a good job and be invested. Company manages by a scorecard percentage system based on numbers from the Entire Country, with no real feel of what it takes to work in the field especially remote/rural areas. They also have not changed the benchmark percentages for 10 years even though the customer base and job requirements have changed/increased immensely.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to your Field Inspectors and their feedback, you may actually increase productivity and satisfy your ultimate customer all at the same time. You waste so much time and money on recruiting, hiring and training over and over again instead of focusing on the good Field Reps. you have that actually make everyone's jobs in the Company easier. If the employee feels vested than the product will be good!!!! Basic management 101.........

"Inspector"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in South Florida, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in South Florida, FL

I worked at Mueller Services (More than a year)

Pros

As an independent contract worker you are able to set your own work schedule. The business model works with high volume work loads per contractor allowing one to make a minimal living during tough economic times when job markets are lean, provided you have some technical expertise to bring to the employer table.

Cons

When the volume of contract work runs out there is no work (other available work) to fall back on with the employer. At that time, or before, you have to look elsewhere to cover your bases regarding your income when the contract jobs run out. Issues arise when employers mislead or are unable / unwilling to provide the status of future contract work yet lead the contractor in believing they (employer) have future contract work coming in. There may be times that this work is a fit; make sure to keep in front of the ebb and flow of the contract work as it becomes available.

7. "Trainee"

Current Employee - Field Representative/Home Surveyor in Aurora, IL
    Current Employee - Field Representative/Home Surveyor in Aurora, IL

I have been working at Mueller Services part-time

Pros

Good informative training program. Paid

Cons

Long training, needs field work.

Advice to Management

None yet.

"Field Rep."

Former Employee - Field Representative/Home Surveyor in Central, Columbia, PA
    Former Employee - Field Representative/Home Surveyor in Central, Columbia, PA

Pros

Plenty of work. Little restrictions, able to create own work schedule. Enjoyed photographing houses and meeting people.

Cons

Too much work. Agreed to 20 hours per week but actually worked 40-60 hours. Great deal of travel, assigned north Central Park. but had assignments in N.York. and MD. Out all week doing surveys then all weekend on computer uploading data. Q.C. was combative. Communication with management was poor.

Advice to Management

Get realistic with goals not support your staff, get involved.

"Very strict and not flexible"

Former Employee - Field Representative in Fresno, CA
    Former Employee - Field Representative in Fresno, CA

I worked at Mueller Services part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very flexible job if your a self starter and good at time management

Cons

Their training program is very strict, one mistake and your fired!

Advice to Management

They should be more clear on training instruction. Stand by what they preach!

"I'm glad that I'm not part of this organization anymore!"

Former Employee - Field Representative
    Former Employee - Field Representative

Pros

I've read the previous Pros for the position and I don't find any of them to be positive:
    1) Flexible schedule - if you think that randomly calls returned from insured/home owner at anytime during the day/night to your personal cell phone is nice, then you might gonna like it.
    2) Work from home - you pay all the bills and don't get deduction on your tax returns because you work on W-2 (you are employee, not contractor).

Cons

Where should I start from? Awe everything that you have read into the previous Reviews from other F.R. under Cons is absolutely true. The biggest down turn is the payroll practice that they have. I will say that the whole fee based pay is a big fraud for any employee.

Advice to Management

I don't have any advises for the upper management. They are all aware about the entire system and its functionality, they created it that way.

11. "Great stepping stone"

Former Employee - Field Inspector
    Former Employee - Field Inspector

I worked at Mueller Services (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great training, good management.

Cons

Is not for everyone, a lot of windshield time if you are working full time