MuleSoft Sales Reviews | Glassdoor

3.1
MuleSoft President & CEO Greg Schott
Greg Schott

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • I realize saying a company has great people is subjective, but the more people I grow to know at this company, the more I love it (in 15 reviews)

• There are crazy smart people here but they are also incredibly humble and pleasant to work with (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/Life balance is tricky but offset by impact and opportunities (in 15 reviews)

• If you want a 9-5 or 9-6 then don't bother (in 13 reviews)

"Fantastic Company to Work For."

Current Employee - Sales Operations Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Operations Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at MuleSoft full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working for Mulesoft was my first job out of university and initially went into an Account Development role. Pretty quickly it was apparent that the role was not a good fit for me. Instead of parting ways, I was able to work with Mulesoft in moving to another part of the business which suited me better and have since really enjoyed.

After around a year working in Sales Ops in London, I was given the option to move to the HQ in San Francisco, an opportunity I could not turn down!

We genuinely have a great and inspiring CFO that leads the finance group which Sales Ops falls under.

Our team has been a pretty lean one, meaning that if you want to own something and have the drive to do it, you are trusted to do so. This makes you feel like you can really have an impact within the company.

The level of accountability you get in the Sales Ops team is really high, whether you are representing the team for a region or you own something such as fixing or improving a process or a system. This can be daunting at times but again, it makes you feel like a trusted member of the team.

People who work at Mulesoft are truly of the highest Caliber.

Cons

Because of the level of ownership and accountability you tend to get at MuleSoft, it can be hard to switch off and work normal hours. I guess that just shows how invested in the company you get.

Advice to Management

Keep hiring great people.

MuleSoft Response

Aug 1, 2017 – CFO

Thank you for your feedback. Also for your commitment to our collective success and willingness to DWIT to get us there. I'm happy you found your fit and enjoy your work. Looking forward to... More

"Poor company, great people"

Former Employee - Sales Operations Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Operations Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at MuleSoft full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Most of my finance and APAC coworkers at MuleSoft were the only thing that kept me there so long. There was a sense of teamwork and shared responsibility.

Cons

-The job description was inaccurate. It was sold to me as: working on critical reporting; developing Salesforce to automate our processes; and work on order processing. In under a year the job was 90% order processing- copy+pasting values from Excel, and manually checking field values on the opportunity. No recommendations to improve the process were taken seriously.

-Career growth was non-existent. In the 2.5 years I was at the company I didn't receive yearly goals ever. I had *two* quarterly reviews in the 10 quarters I was there. The company keeps hidden the requirements for raises and promotions- seemingly to keep employees where they are at.

-Management was unreliable. Business issues could be solved in under a day. Issues involving employees' pay, careers, advancement took unconscionably long (1.5 years for the first raise, 5.5 months for transfer). The only reasons offered were dodges.

- The vast majority of people I supported didn't want to be on my team. They wanted a someone to shutup pickup after them. Passing the buck was the name of the game for those ahead in the process.

-The company isn't proactive about solving problems. Finance in particular under invests in its tools and team. The job became manual because the company grew and no reasonable investments were made in our technology or team size. Congrats on having the lowest expense...

Advice to Management

Prioritize your current employees and your attrition rate won't be monstrous. Employee issues should be considered business critical issues.

MuleSoft Response

Jul 14, 2017 – Vice President, Sales and Financial Operations

It sounds like you have a lot that you're upset about, and I'm sorry you didn't feel that you could bring these concerns forward while you were with us. It’s particularly upsetting given that your... More

"Field Sales at MuleSoft"

Current Employee - Field Sales in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Field Sales in San Francisco, CA

Pros

- MuleSoft has a very friendly and welcoming air that permeates from the executive level on down.
    - Very aggressive compensation structure that focuses on sales reps that are able to perform quickly and consistently.
    - When first starting, MuleSoft put me in a position to be successful very quickly, as well as providing resources to be come proficient on the very difficult technical aspects of the sale.
    - Very little micromanagement taking place for the field sales organization. MuleSoft is very deliberate in who they hire. They follow through with this by giving you the flexibility your experience warrants, while also holding you accountable to execute.
    - Overall, I have been very happy with the transition to MuleSoft, the compensation, their ability to help facilitate the closing of sales (executive engagement), and the company culture.

Cons

- MuleSoft sells a very technical product, which can lead to a very technical sale and discussion.
    - Due to this technical complexity, it can be difficult to tie the low level technical benefits to high level business drivers.
    - Since MuleSoft is not as big as some software companies (Oracle, IBM, Salesforce, etc), some processes are not yet defined, which can lead to internal confusion when trying to move quickly during a sales cycle. (At times this also means less red tape).

Advice to Management

- It is very obvious MuleSoft prides themselves in their hiring and selection process. It is extensive to say the least. They do not take hiring lightly.
    - Anything management can do to expedite the hiring / interview process would be great. The long interview process may also be a necessary side effect of their continued requirement to hire great candidates.

"Big opportunity"

Current Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at MuleSoft full-time

Pros

Market is hot and the company is positioned to leverage big shifts like SaaS, social, mobile etc
    Increasing focus on larger deals and what it takes to drive this type of strategic account.
    Very good opportunity to make money as quotas are still realistic and comp plans have good upside
    Good people overall and pretty open to input even though the company is growing rapidly.
    Feels like everyone is pulling for a big outcome and not a lot of politics

Cons

I've referred in a couple of people from my network and only one was hired -- hiring bar may need to be looked at as company grows
    High expectations. Be ready for what it takes in a fast growth tech company

Advice to Management

Keep investing in enablement and the tools needed to sell at this level

"Sales Operations- Mom/Woman"

Current Employee - Sales Operations in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Operations in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at MuleSoft part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It took me 2.5 years to find an opportunity such as the one I have at Mulesoft. I have had a very strong track record of successfully managing sales teams at the largest software companies globally. 3 years ago, I had my second child and knew I needed certain criteria in my next career move. One, I shine in start-up companies where I have the ability to be enabled and make a true impact. Secondly, my success of being a mom of two young children was a top priority and typically becomes challenging when you pair that with my #1 criteria of being challenged and a contributor at a start-up. I met with Greg Schott, keep in mind I was a passive candidate, and I immediately shared my desire to kick butt and be a mom. We had numerous candid conversations about this before I was able to accept an offer to be a part of the Mulesoft family. I have to say, everything Greg shared was spot-on. For the first time in my career, I feel like I am as excellent of an employee, as I am a mom. If you are a mom, with an outstanding track record of success or great potential, this could be the right company for you. Remember, not everyday is easy, and I am not home for every dinner, but I am home for most and feel like Mulesoft has been incredibly supportive of my needs.

Cons

There are days, weeks and certain peaks where you will have to give more than you would at normal times. This is not a con, but the reality of a successful start-up and truly the mentality of the employees here that are successful. Do not interview at Mulesoft if you are not willing to put your heart into it, though remember you don't have to put your entire soul :)

Advice to Management

Keep hiring rockstars! The caliber of employees is what makes this culture fabulous...

"The best company that I have ever worked for during my 20 years as an Account Executive, Sales Manager, and VP of Sales."

Current Employee - Strategic Sales Executive in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Strategic Sales Executive in Chicago, IL

Pros

The list is long:
    - Excellent leadership with strategic vision.
    - Very differentiated product that just works.
    - High customer satisfaction, renewal rates.
    - Very competitive compensation with the ability to be exceedingly lucrative if you overachieve.
    - Solid training and enablement, support for field sales.
    - Culture is awesome, care about their people, hire talented folks, deep focus on hiring the right people even if it takes longer.
    - High growth
    - Quotas are fair

Cons

None, I have been overly impressed since joining at the beginning of the year. Would absolutely recommend to any high caliber sales professional.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing and don't sway from the current path. Focus on the employee is visible and appreciated.

"Culture should be felt, not drilled in during meetings"

Former Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA

I worked at MuleSoft full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good location. Huge buzz in the software market. Some really talented people working in the field for channels, customer success and sales as well as great engineering team building solid products.

Cons

No work/life balance. Limited upward mobility for such a small and fast growing company. Faux culture is cheered on, but action is never taken.

Advice to Management

Way too many management layers with people really not adding any value. Use your rigorous hiring process for referrals, not just for the resume stack.

"Elitist Company"

Former Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA

I worked at MuleSoft full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great products. Company will do well in this marketplace since they are at the convergence of cloud and on prem.

Cons

Culture makes you feel like you have to walk on glass. They are always looking for something wrong in a person and are very nit picky. Some folks will blow a small issue out of proportion and twist things for god knows why.

Advice to Management

Oversensitive and myopic to the extreme. If you want talented people, you have to be diversified and cannot look at things through a myopic lens or through "yes" men/women. Your company will be a better place if you expand the lens and factor outside advice.

"A fantastic company with an unbelievable market opportunity. Great culture where hard work, effort, and results pay off"

Current Employee - Sales in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Sales in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at MuleSoft full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The culture is great. People are smart, they work hard, and they work as a team. Everyone is focused on winning and capturing the market opportunity in front of the company. The market opportunity is enormous and we are growing really fast. The growth also allows for a lot of new opportunity. The products are great. Customers are highly satisfied and love the company/product.

Cons

Fast paced. Based on the growth things are moving really fast, and they can change quickly. That can be fun, but it is also hard work and can be challenging.

Advice to Management

Keep us focused on the right market. Continue to point the company in the right direction and hire great people. Don't lower the bar on talent. Let's keep the culture great.

"Actually earns "best place to work""

Current Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at MuleSoft full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Culture is fantastic, people are great and all working hard but motivated and genuinely like what they do.
    Super exciting market and the company is growing quickly and doing a good job of managing the growth.

Product is outstanding which is not something that you see often enough in high tech and software in particular. Good opportunities for career growth internally.

Great place for sales people. Lot's of opportunity and comp is good

Cons

Not many. CEO has great vision and knows where he's leading the company. Important to keep the start up energy as the company scales.

Advice to Management

As the company grows, particularly globally, it's important to keep communication flowing up, down and across the organization.