MuleSoft "smart people" Reviews | Glassdoor

MuleSoft Employee Reviews about "smart people"

Updated Mar 12, 2018

4.2
MuleSoft CEO Greg Schott
Greg Schott
Pros
  • "lots of great people still within the company; truly some of the most talented I've worked with in my career(in 19 reviews)

• "Strong, smart people who really care(in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • "Work life balance is heavily skewed toward work but this is driven by passion for the job(in 25 reviews)

• "This job is not a 9-5 and is very challenging(in 17 reviews)

Reviews about "smart people"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Great company and opportunities"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at MuleSoft full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Highly engaged, smart people to work with at all levels - Continuous opportunities to advance your career - Amazing change that we're driving in the market - Highest caliber sales team - Exciting time to work for the company where we're small enough that individuals can make an impact, but big enough that there are the resources to drive change - Flat organization

Cons

- Diversity is lacking - Not enough emphasis on training front-line managers and holding them accountable for being great managers

Advice to Management

- Keep doing what you're doing!

MuleSoft2018-02-16

"Great company to work for and learn tons"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at MuleSoft full-time for less than a year

Pros

MuleSoft is a great collaborative environment that is hiring really fast. I work with very smart people who challenge me daily. Unlimited PTO.

Cons

My immediate team is really small.

MuleSoft2017-04-10

"Grow to appreciate this company more every day"

I have been working at MuleSoft full-time for more than a year

Pros

The people – I realize saying a company has great people is subjective, but the more people I grow to know at this company, the more I love it. There are crazy smart people here but they are also incredibly humble and pleasant to work with. I've learned so much from my colleagues both in and outside of my function. Management – from my manager to the CEO, everyone I've encountered in a leadership position at... MuleSoft cares about individual trajectory and personal and professional growth. Leadership encourages employees to take on ambitious projects and gives them the resources to support these initiatives. My manager and I meet every week to problem solve immediate problems in my path and also, develop a plan for me to achieve me long term career goals All the usual benefits – free lunches, unlimited vacation...etc.

Cons

At 800+ people and growing, it's critical the company onboards people in a way where they can hit the ground running and have a positive experience from the onset. It took me a few months to get my bearings and meet the people in other functions who would be critical for me to be successful in my role.

Advice to Management

Keep annual global company MeetUp going! Getting to know people from all 14+ offices and problem solving live is critical to our success as a company.

MuleSoft2017-03-31

"The people, the opportunities, the challenge"

Current Employee - Marketing Associate in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at MuleSoft full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

For starters, the people. For me, this is critical to being happy. Good humans, it's not just on our career page, it's the truth. Humble, ethical and helpful, some words I'd use to describe muleys. I've learned from many of them, incredibly smart people have surrounded me and that has helped me be better at what I do. There are always bad apples, don't get me wrong, nothing is perfect, I don’t think there is a... perfect company, it's really about what values are the most important to you. And for me, people is in my top three. Second, career opportunities. I've been exposed to so many different areas of the company, and have had the green light to "mutate" my roles so I can work on projects that I want. I've had the opportunity to take my career where I wanted, which is completely different to where I started. I made that possible yes, but the management, my peers and the culture of the company supported it. Last, what we are solving. So much is going on in tech today, but not many focus on solving a problem that impacts a business— and everyday life, as much as integration and connectivity. It's hard, it's challenging, but it's fun...and after four years, I’m still enjoying the ride.

Cons

Always ON.There’s always a lot to do, sometimes (most times) you end up taking work home, because if you don’t, you’ll never get things completely done. So, if you’re all about shutting off at 6, here it will be hard. No WFH. Personally, it’s not a very negative for me, because I do have the flexibility I need, but I know it’s something most companies in the industry offer their employees. Don’t do many fun... group/family activities. Besides meetup and holiday parties, we don’t get many offsites, team building activities organized by the company. Some teams do their own thing, but it depends more on your manager. Promotions are not quick like other companies you might be used to. Although you do have the opportunities to experiment and own, getting promoted can take very long.

Advice to Management

Get creative to attract top talent. It’s going to be harder every day, so you have to start thinking of unique differentiators to offer employees. Continue listening to what employees have to say, it’s one of the things that we value the most, speaking our mind. We have a high bar when it comes to hiring, but, we need to improve/shorten interview cycles.

MuleSoft2016-10-24

"Learned a ton in a small window, thanks MuleSoft"

Former Contractor - Technical Sourcer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at MuleSoft for less than a year

Pros

Good tech and market opportunity. A ton of super smart people that you get to work with. They stress the importance of hiring and the company buys in. This makes recruiting much more pleasant, especially given the hiring bar. In general, they don't allow remote workers, although there are some exceptions. They allowed me to work remote while I moved to NY, knowing that I would be interviewing for other jobs... (it was their idea, too!). They even introduced me to companies/people. I was stoked. From day one MuleSoft spoke about empowering their employees for the job they currently have while setting them up for the job they want in the future. At first you wonder if that's just the Mule-aid everyones drinking. They actually care and I'm better for having spent time at MuleSoft. I learned a ton in a short amount of time and parlayed that experience into a role with more responsibility.

Cons

Long, rigorous hiring process. I found myself on an island at times; some of that's the nature of the job, some of it was me not doing enough to integrate.

Advice to Management

The recruiting manager was more strategic in terms of career development. I was transparent with my desire to be a recruiter and they were transparent about getting me on that track. No qualms with management.

MuleSoft2016-06-30

"One of the best in the bay"

I have been working at MuleSoft

Pros

Smart people, fun environment, interesting product/company positioned well in the market to be successful.

Cons

In office culture doesn't allow for working from home - this limits availability/interest of some candidates.

MuleSoft2015-10-02

"Tough place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at MuleSoft full-time for less than a year

Pros

Lots of smart people who are committed to solving big problems.

Cons

Not a lot of team work, often feel stretched beyond your capabilities, it's hard to get things done, lots of big talk where you don't see anything getting better.

MuleSoft2015-09-19

"Proud to be part of an Authentically Good Company"

Current Employee - Consulting Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at MuleSoft full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

As a veteran of the dotcom bubble and having worked for many companies, big & small, over the years, MuleSoft is the most Goldilocks like when it comes to having the right combination of people, product and culture. Our products take on the Big, Hard challenge of enterprise integration. We don’t help people take selfies sexting each other. We help hospitals get more accurate patient information, insurance... companies process claims faster, governments run more efficiently. Silicon Valley startups are all full of smart people, but ours smart ones are genuinely nice. Culturally we still lean toward the no non-sense side of things and there is almost a zen-like avoidance to the artificial funkiness so common at other startups. Compared to other startups, we have more veterans of the industry, the Qui-Gon Jinn’s and Obi-Wan Kenobi’s who have been through the ups and downs and don’t get cowed by the challenges at hand easily. Couple tidbits worth noting: The true colour of the company was unfortunately illustrated through a tragedy. A brilliant young colleague of ours unfortunately passed away unexpectedly. The company really put in the effort in a humble, low-key, respectful and compassionate way to support his family as well as memorialize him. A very sad incident yet provides an authentic insight into the company culture. Ann Winblad’s VC firm was in the company’s seed round (as well as subsequent rounds) and Ms. Winblad has been on the board ever since. Ms. Winblad is a true pioneer and trail blazer in the VC and tech industry, and she is and has always been a great positive influence on the company.

Cons

Right now the company is like a rocket that has just lifted off from the launchpad, and it’s either the orbit or a fiery death. For some people who haven’t been through this before, the rattle and stress from trying to go full thrust at all time can be quite unnerving. And this has caused many to freak out and bail out. (For others, it’s merely time to tighten the seat belt and be epic. After all, being a... shooting star is overrated.) As the company grow, there is increasingly more hierarchy and some of the newly hired managers are taking that hierarchy too seriously. On a related note, only a few years back majority of the company was technical enough to build a demo Mule app if needed in a pinch. Nowadays most of the people in the company are so non-technical they can’t connect themselves out of a paper bag. The company needs more technical people (engineers & developers) and very willing to hire them, but the supply really has gone dry (failure of American education?) so that puts a lot of stress on the existing technical folks.

Advice to Management

Don't hire nor promote the echo-chambers, the good-news-only people. Facts on the ground won't melt away through ignorance. Face the hard truth, make the difficult choices, then move forward.

MuleSoft2015-04-18

"Channel / Business Development"

I have been working at MuleSoft

Pros

Smart people, incredibly driven, growing company

Cons

None to add as of today!

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

MuleSoft2015-05-12

"Rocket ship - Hang on tight!"

I have been working at MuleSoft full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The company has the following assets: - Blue Chip customer base - High bar on hiring - lots of very smart people to learn from - Drives an ownership culture (see problem, fix problem, don't whine) - Simple and gigantic market strategy, and has boiled it down to 3 key solution areas (the right ones IMO) - Product just 'bleeping' works (customers words, not just mine) - Execs seem to care about employees... beyond just getting work done (feels family like)

Cons

- Company moves a 1,000MPH. It can be tough to hang sometimes and requires real commitment - It sometimes feels like there's gaps in the organization, and the expectation is to just 'figure it out' vs. well though out for you (many here see this as a 'pro') - Pace is driving a ton of change quickly, can be exhausting

MuleSoft2014-01-14