MullinTBG Reviews | Glassdoor

2.5
Yong Lee

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Benefits Administrator"

Pros

Great training and people.

Cons

Company was bought by Prudential. Future wasn't guaranteed.

2. "Client Facing"

I worked at MullinTBG full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Most of the co-workers are great. Multiple locations to work from.

Cons

Prudential has ruined this former leader in the executive benefits space. The company is being pressed into a cookie-cutter, bean counting company designed to fill a need for the larger company.

Advice to Management

You should have contracted with a boiler-plate TPA company to fill your needs. Tell employees what's coming and show that that they're valued. There is a culture of no loyalty from the employees and that is spilling over to the clients. Cutting so many people loose in 2015 before they became "Prudential" employees so that they wouldn't receive the enhanced severance and company stock, that was just rude.

3. "Survivor is not just a television show!"

Former Employee - Executive Assistant in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Executive Assistant in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at MullinTBG (More than 8 years)

Pros

I worked at Mullin before it merged with Mullin TBG. I had a great boss until the environment turned to an "eat or be eaten" environment and then he turned his back on me, and left me afloat in a sea of sharks.

Cons

The toxic environment that permeates Mullin is the result of bad management and a desire by HR and management to micro-manage its employees and play big brother. There is a palpable fear instilled in the employees that they are being watched and any behaviors that are slightly suspect will be reported. The employees are treated like children instead of professionals, and because employees are afraid of losing their jobs there is much infighting and back-stabbing that goes on. There is no loyalty to employees who work hours into the evening to insure a smooth flow of business. The running "inside" joke was who was going to get voted off the island. Management is focused on their own small piece of the pie and what revenues can be made from that, which means everyone is expendable if they do not reinforce those goals.

Advice to Management

They didn't figure it out when I was working there in the 90s, and by reading these reviews it sounds like they still have not figured it out.

4. "Client Relationship Manager"

Current Employee - Client Relationship Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Client Relationship Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at MullinTBG full-time

Pros

Majority of co-workers are committed to helping everyone succeed. Internal and external resources are robust. Multiple office locations and work at home options available.

Cons

Senior management seems focused on positioning and protecting themselves, often at the expense of the people they manage. Good employees are getting burned out and leaving.

Advice to Management

Be honest and direct with the employees from the beginning. Tell us the true focus for the future of the company and tell us that the priority is higher profit margin, even at the expense of client satisfaction and loss of good employees.

"Benefits Specialist"

Former Employee - Benefits Specialist in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Benefits Specialist in Dallas, TX

I worked at MullinTBG full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I cannot say much for pros. Mullin merged with Prudential and many of us lost our jobs. Prudential asked us to perform a lot of tasks above and beyond our daily duties for the migration to their services and did not reward the people that put the most time and effort into the migration.

Cons

Very little interaction and review from your STL, he was more interested in talking about hunting than actually providing any career coaching. The company laid us off when merged with Prudential.

Advice to Management

Promote the people that add the most value to the position, not the people that share your views. Diversity can take you a long way.

6. "great place"

Pros

money management environment team culture

Cons

work stability clarity growth opportunity

"Worst Company I've Ever Worked For"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in El Segundo, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in El Segundo, CA

I worked at MullinTBG full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If there were some positive attributes to this company, I'd absolutely record them here. Unfortunately I cannot think of one thing that I liked about my experience here.

Cons

-No upside potential, no growth, same boring data entry tasks everyday
    -Lots of policing of employees - emails all tracked, websites & internet time tracked, parking card useage tracked, etc. You'll get called to HR if you step outside of the bounds of the strict, regimented policies.
    -No in-person or phone communication. All communication was done via email. Everything you say via email will be used against you in the future.
    -Procedures. Write out hundreds of procedures with a whole bunch of screenshots detailing every step of every process that you do. They do this because they know the job is horrible, and you'll leave. Once you leave, they want to make sure other team members and your replacement can follow the instructions.
    -High turnover. I was there for 4 years. My group had 4 analyst spots. I was in one of them. The other 3 spots had 9-10 different people come and go within my 4 years there. People hated it.
    -I could go on, but I'm busy at the moment, and will leave you with my review.

Advice to Management

When I was here, the environment felt very suffocating. There were no opportunities to grow. If there are financial concerns, you don't have to grow people through salary or promotions. You can foster a sense of innovation and growth in other ways.

Stop all the policing. With all the resources committed to policing employees, you could just give some slack and reduce all the time wasted on policing. Treating your employees like children who can't control their work flow only belittles and demeans them.

Stop with all the BS politics.

I've since moved on to two other companies since leaving, and both companies are worlds better than MTBG. I never the first company with such a bad taste in my mouth, and everything was on good terms. I'm still employed at the second company in a very satisfying role. This review isn't some disgruntled former employee who hates everything in life. I can speak very confidently and proudly about the two other companies I've worked at since my time at MTBG.

8. "Benefits Administrator"

I worked at MullinTBG full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good Coworkers, talented people working with no direction.

Cons

management seems directionless. compensation maybe more competitive

9. "Bumpy transition, but almost there"

Current Employee - More Than One in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - More Than One in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

Prudential is going to be good for the company. They have cleared out a lot of dead wood in management and are streamlining processes. New resources are already considerable when compared to what we had previously.

Cons

New duties and responsibilities get assigned, but compensation does not move in line with the increases in responsibilities. Salaries do not feel competitive.

Advice to Management

Value your talent - plenty of attrition could have been avoided if talent had been locked down with promotions or compensation bumps.

"Funding Analyst"

Current Employee - Senior Funding Analyst in El Segundo, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Funding Analyst in El Segundo, CA

Pros

The people working there are usually younger (mid 20s to early 30s). The people there are fun to be around.

Cons

There are not much opportunities to move up.