Multi Sales Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated February 20, 2017

1.2
Rating Trends Rating Trends
CEO

"In My Opinion, Buyers Won't Last Very Long Here--Unless Underpaid"

Former Employee - Purchasing Agent in La Palma, CA
    Former Employee - Purchasing Agent in La Palma, CA

I worked at Multi Sales full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Casual dress code, good benefits. Quarterly merit based bonuses. Wholesale (customer) pricing is offered to employees, which can potentially save you a few hundred dollars or more next time your garage door needs replacing. The owner is a wonderful person who actually knows every employee by name and eats lunch in the break room, freely conversing with anyone and everyone, regardless of how high up or low down on the totem pole they are.

Cons

There is an alarming pattern in the purchasing department at this company: they appear to have a pattern of hiring a buyer at a fair market rate, giving them merit based bonuses repeatedly because their performance is good, and then suddenly treating the buyer as if half of the failings of the company can be traced back to her or him, and the buyer is now worthless, stupid, incompetent, and not worth what they're being paid, and in spite of working ungodly hours to meet the demands of the position, soon the buyer is either laid off or their work environment becomes so untenable that they quit. This happened to seven different buyers that I know of over a period of less than five years (although I can't vouch for all of them with regard to working ungodly hours; only myself)-- but this is in a purchasing department with only three people to begin with!! You do the math. Tremendous turnover there.

In my opinion, if you are offered a job here as a buyer, and you're not offered significantly less than fair market salary for your experience and background, you're probably not going to end up lasting there very long. And don't get too excited if you get a big raise here -- in a few more months that big raise may become the proverbial kiss of death for your tenure at Multi Sales in La Palma.

Advice to Management

It is my opinion that you would be better off without you-know-who. (And I'm not talking about the head of the purchasing department either; I think you know to whom I am referring.) During the time I was there, this person created what is in my opinion a hostile work environment, by using primarily fear to motivate. Whenever the slightest thing went wrong, many employees were so busy trying to shift blame and avoid the wrath of this individual, they could not operate effectively as a team! Almost every single meeting I was in, it was someone's turn to get torn apart in front of their peers, whether deserved or not. You have the makings of a great company there. It's too bad it's ruined by the heavy handed management style of one person.

In spite of all the talk at Multi Sales about taking personal responsibility, the reality was, many employees spent a great deal of their energy attempting to shift responsibility, because peoples' survival instict kicks in when they feel their livelihood is constantly hanging by a thread. (And those unable to play the shift the-blame-game, who actually DO take personal responsibility, may soon find this isn't a good idea after all.)

2. "Do not recommend.."

Former Employee - Customer Service/Sales
    Former Employee - Customer Service/Sales

I worked at Multi Sales full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

DECENT benefits. That's about it.

Cons

Pay is sub standard for the industry. Management implements leadership through bullying.

"Sales counter"

Former Employee - Sales Counter and Receiving Associate in Whittier, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Counter and Receiving Associate in Whittier, CA

I worked at Multi Sales (More than a year)

Pros

Warehouse employees are easy to get along with and fun to work with.

Cons

Management team has no clue to what they're doing and are rude and obnoxious. They do not understand that mistakes will happen because we are human, not machines.

Advice to Management

Need to train the employees correctly and have patience with employees. Understand that employees will make mistakes. They should work with employees to figure out why they're making mistakes, and help correct the problem. They shouldn't be too quick to discharge employees over simple mistakes that can be corrected. This is why they have a high employee turn over.

"RUN!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in La Palma, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in La Palma, CA

I worked at Multi Sales full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits and colleagues are great.

Cons

Management here needs more experience in managing personnel and needs lessons on how to be professional in a work environment. They lack tact and do not foster a team environment. Employees do not feel valued or appreciated. The way they communicate is condescending and patronizing. They chew you and spit you out with no remorse versus. They use profanity to try to get their messages across. They treat the company like a slave plantation and they promote stress and fear in their employees to get the work done. The time I was here I've seen many people come and go. The only people that stayed are those that are still looking for an opportunity to leave and go elsewhere. In all my years and work experiences I've never been with a company that was so unprofessional.

Advice to Management

Management needs to show appreciation to their employees, not just point out what's wrong but should also point out what's good. Management needs to learn tact when communicating and having control of their temper.

"Anonymous"

Pros

This is a very stable company with a great overall compensation packet for employees, including a company funded retirement plan and fully paid health coverage.

Cons

The President is extremely erratic, one minute praising and the next yelling about something he didn't even get the real story about.... Used to be better with the owner present, but he has checked out.

Advice to Management

Change out your CEO and you have a chance to grow. He has an odd relationship with the Purchasing leader as well. The Purchasing guy is so mean to front line people and then acts like a saint with the President around.