Multimedia Games Reviews in Austin, TX | Glassdoor

Multimedia Games Interim CEO Michael D. Rumbolz
Michael D. Rumbolz

1. "Things are changing"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Multimedia Games full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some great people still left

Cons

There's definitely a difference between Multimedia Games and Everi Games.

Advice to Management

Stop doing what you're doing. Just about all of it.

2. "lousy company to work for"

Former Employee - Software Developer in Austin, TX

I worked at Multimedia Games full-time (More than a year)

Pros

get to play with slot machines all day

Cons

incompetent management
    lots of wasted money

Advice to Management

hire better qualified and motivated employees

3. "Get your IT Plan together!"

Current Employee - Tech Support in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Tech Support in Austin, TX

I have been working at Multimedia Games full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people in a great town. Fun products with list of creative opportunities!

Cons

Seriously bad at merging technology. Living in Austin provides an opportunity to see different companies merge and join forces. This merger is so clunky! It's been months and the tech systems are not even united yet. Communication is terrible because of this and it's really hard to share things with the Vegas side with such technology problems. And there hasn't been any plan announced to fix any of it! Open enrollment is even being done on two different systems.

Advice to Management

Get your IT house in order! We are trying to become one company but it's really hard when we all still work on different systems TEN MONTHS AFTER MERGER!!

"Mathematician"

Former Employee - Mathematician in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Mathematician in Austin, TX

I worked at Multimedia Games (More than 3 years)

Pros

There were a lot of great people to work with, including some of the management. Benefits were good. The work was generally interesting. Austin is a great city.

Cons

The core of management functioned strictly on favoritism. The clique mentality was extremely obvious and destroyed any real feeling of team spirit and added a lot of inefficiency. Company very stingy with funds allocated to non-executive compensation.

Advice to Management

Base opportunity on merit, not clique status. Have employees review their immediate management in addition to having management review their employees.

"What happened?"

Former Employee - QA Analyst II in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - QA Analyst II in Austin, TX

I worked at Multimedia Games full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company is not going away. It has enough recurring revenue and money in the bank to coast for quite a while despite its massive debt load.

Cons

The family atmosphere, the fun, and the comradery are gone. The salary's used to be competitive, but they are now stagnating while the rest of the jobs in that field in Austin are raising wages quickly. In one situation my job title changed so that they could say I was making closer to 100% industry average than I was before. Nice trick. On paper it looked like a 7% raise, in reality it was about 2%. To top it off, mobility is limited, and a pathway to promotion is vague, or changes year over year.

Its things like this that has killed the atmosphere. Talent is leaving for more money and less rigidity. The company feels very top heavy as well.

Many benefits have been rolled back, or re-tooled to appear better, but actually end up worse. I understand streamlining and cost synergies, but at this point it is sacrificing long term growth in the name of short term gains.

Advice to Management

Go back to the roots of Multimedia. The sense of family, the fun, and the insane amount of talent lead to monumental growth. Turning GCA/MGAM into the HP/Compaq merger is not the way to go...

"Run as fast as you can!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Pros

The only pro left are the employees in Austin.

Cons

Too many to count. Worst company ever since GCA took over.

Advice to Management

Why bother, they would not listen anyway. Top heavy & all they care about is padding their pockets.

"What happened?"

I have been working at Multimedia Games full-time

Pros

Hard to say. A lot of what made this company so inviting and welcoming years ago is gone.

Cons

A lot of high school mentality, it feels like people are out to get you.

Decisions seem to be based on the mood of those in charge.

A LOT of inconsistency in terms of whats acceptable and what is not for work and everything under the sun. One higher-up will say its okay, another one will say its not. Some people may get called in for doing X, while another wont be told its an issue at all. Makes it very difficult to know what you really need to do.

Culture has changed drastically. What was once a welcoming, friendly and family-like work environment has become what feels to be very toxic - a lot of that which comes from upper management and trickles down to employees.

No longer competitive salary. Doesnt help that a lot of achievements or diligent work will be overlooked.

Supervisors can tend to throw people under the bus or jump ship immediately.

Advice to Management

Re-evaluate your upper management team and delegate more power to keep everyone calmer. Its not a healthy environment when things are based on peoples' moods. Because of this a lot of employees fear speaking up because they also don't want to burn bridges or risk bad reviews. Particularly in the dev department.

"Not the old MGAM anymore"

Former Employee - Software Developer in Austin, TX

I worked at Multimedia Games full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Not very much anymore. All of the things and people that made this company great are now gone.

Cons

Management changeover after the GCA acquisition has taken its toll on the company and culture. Communication is at an all time low.

Advice to Management

Make this an enjoyable place to work again and the talent will return.

"Hopeful but going downhill"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Multimedia Games full-time (More than a year)

Pros

MGAM used to be a great company and I have hopes that it will be again. Flexible work schedule good benefits, fun events and nice coworkers all make working here fun and rewarding.

Cons

Since our GCA acquisition, things have gone downhill. Fun events and employee YEI rewards systems have been cut, workloads have doubled and all of us have a sense that we're being used until they can feasibly get rid of us (despite many announcements to the contrary). Our executive team is more interested in a rushed pace to accommodate an arbitrary integration deadline than to take the time to get things right. This pace does not allow us to properly implement processes and complete testing which will leave us with system fallout issues for years to come. Work smarter is not a concept that is being demonstrated here recently.

Advice to Management

Stop killing the culture of the company you just paid big dollars to acquire. Communication is key and that doesn't mean standing in front of us for 15 minutes on an occasional visit while spouting announcements contrary to your actions. Allow both sides of our new team to demonstrate their skill rather than have them scurry through your unnecessarily quick deadlines for integration. All you are doing is making a bigger mess to clean up later most likely with your truly skilled staff already gone.

"Not bad"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at Multimedia Games (More than a year)

Pros

flexible hours, good family environment

Cons

lack of direction from senior management

Advice to Management

Focus on building a software company with the standards of today.